  1) converting shredder to electric?
        by Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by "clayton99sc1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Used Car Dealer - Anybody Here One?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) RE: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by Jeremy Maus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Rudman PFC charger efficiency vs others
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: evaa2002 text report
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: converting shredder to electric?
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by "BORTEL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: converting shredder to electric?
        by Peter A VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by "Gary Graunke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: converting shredder to electric?
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: electric VW Pickup for sale
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Rudman PFC charger efficiency vs others
        by Bruce EVangel Parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Battery Charger for Nickel Zinc
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Ranger EVs Still Around?
        by Jeremy Maus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: converting shredder to electric?
        by Jeremy Maus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) multiple EV's  (was Ranger EVs Still Around?)
        by "Gary Graunke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Fw: 48v unit
 21) Re: 48v unit
        by "Chad Peddy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello All
I just finished the annual shredding of the leaves that occurs every
year here in tree town. The utensil of choice is a Sears 6 Hp shredder
with the ubiquitous Tecumseh 4 stroke engine. It worked but it was
noisy, hard to start and evil smelling.

I think the substitution of an electric motor would be a step in the
right direction as well as being a nice simple conversion project.
So what do I need for a motor?

I'm planning to plug it into the wall so I know it's going to be 120 V
AC.

What kind of horsepower do I need?

I'm thinking that a speed reduction might be good partially to let the
motor turn faster but mostly so that the speed reducer can absorb all
the shock and bending loads that your typical electric motor might not
care for.

Any other thoughts?

--
Andrew King
Ann Arbor Michigan

First of all, about batteries... The S-10E's and EV1's use 12V Panasonic
modules, not 6V.  And secondly Panasonic never made an 8V module for the
Ranger.  All Electric Rangers use batteries manufactured by East Penn
(which took over the Ford Motorcraft battery line).  As far as
availability, the 12V Panasonics are hard to come by and those that are
available have a high price tag on them (~$10-12K per pack).  The last
pack that I was involved in acquiring for an Electric Ranger was around
the same price (~$12K).  There are refurbished packs that can be had for
a lower price but expect around a 15-20% drop in possible range.

Secondly, looking to Ford for help is not a probable solution,
especially where we are in Arizona.  The local dealer has no clue about
the vehicle and even lies about what service it performs!

And even one worse problem about having an Electric Ranger in Arizona is
the heat.  They hate the heat, which is why we sold our Electric Ranger
out of state.  The S-10E is a far superior vehicle over the Ranger due
to its battery management/cooling and better placement and integration
of systems.

-Clayton
2001 Honda Insight
1997 GM S-10E

From: Victor Tikhonov

Jim Coate wrote:

> Mason Convey wrote:
> > A few questions regarding the production Ford Ranger EVs...
>
> Yeah, what he said... good questions. I'll add one more:
>
> 4. How "hackable" are they? As in if change battery pack capacity,
> voltage, etc. can a mere mortal alter the charger to match? Ditto for
> the controller, "fuel" gage, etc. Or if add a different charger does the
> controller then get confused?
>
> Or would one of Victor's AC drives bolt right in? :-)

All indications suggest that it will: AC motors for Ford Rangers
made by Ballard (type A312V67 MG) are just Siemens 1PV51xx series
motors, from which front flanges are removed and gear box bolted in.

The motors look identical up to and including cables locations
and fittings (and even casted loops for lifting are the same).
wonder how Ballard got away with copyright issues...

If I were a truck fan and had dead Ranger, I'd remove the
motor and install complete Siemens system. I believe, Gary
Graunke mentioned that there are inexcusable design flaws
in the Inverter - hi voltage components and PCB traces
are in close proximity with low voltage logic circuit.

Jeremy Maus wrote:

> Hi List.
>
> I better speak up here.  I am working for Visteon - the spinoff from ford that
> supplied the EV parts to Ford.  Th!nk then took over EV Ranger support.  Now ?
>
> 1.  The motor is, in my opinion, very well integrated into the driveaxle.  I
> don't know why you would want to upgrade it.  The controls were designed to
> limit torque from the motor to avoid wheel spin.  Top speed should be like 90mph
> and power into it can be more than the inverter gives it now. - just what I have
> heard don't know for sure.
>
> Victor, the prototype TDM build rangers used siemens systems. But the
> production version built at MSX has the, in my opinion, well engineered motor
> axle assembly.  The motor and gears are submerged in oil.

The reason was if one wants to use one of the systems I offer - the
motor
and inverter are sold as matching pair, and using it separately is not
supported, though technically it may work together.

> 2.  The inverter is not that powerfull, but I would say designed well.  The
> logic and gate drive circuits are on different sides of the board.  This
> inverter passed strict EMC/EMI requirements, not possible if the hi voltage and
> logic are together.

As I mentioned - my mistake; that was S10 inverter problem, not Ranger.

> It should be easy to put a more powerfull inverte in place of the the TIM.  You
> will lose the rev limiting and low battery modes.
>
> 3.  The EV Rangers must have been sold.  They ordered enough parts for 10 years
> of repair.  They are required to do this if they sell a vehicle.
>
> 4.  The batteries are made at the East Penn.  - 8V AGM type.  Same case as the
> EV1 12V modules but double the plates.  The biggest improvement would be
> regulators on the batteries.  With regs battery life would double to quadruple.
>
> Gary Graunke, if you would like to discuss design flaws with the Ford Inverters,
> please talk to me directly.  I would like any input to improve other inverters
> we are designing.

Again, Gary's truck is Chevy S10 by US Electricar, not Ranger.
He can comment on this issue better.

Victor

> Happy Holidays,
>
> Jeremy Maus
> Belleville, MI
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.emidget.info
>              _____
>           __/__|__\__
> =D-------/  -     -  \
>          `-'O'---'O'-'

Has anybody taken AC kWh readings upstream of their PFC chargers
and, say, a Zivan K2?  I've run a kWh-meter upstream of a K&W
BC-20, Zivan K2, and a RUSSCO (beta unit).  The 120V Zivan K2 was
the best of the bunch, the RUSSCO was next, and the K&W picked up
the rear.  All 120V chargers.  I was a little surprised that the
Zivan beat the RUSSCO.  Now I'm wondering how the PFC charger
would fare in this experiment on a 96V pack (where I know the
power-factor correction is probably on the low end of its range,
but it's probably still a whole lot better than any of the three
chargers I've already tested).  My guess is that the PFC may be
significantly better than any of the others (less waste heat on
the AC side).

Thanks,
Chuck Hursch
Larkspur, CA
NBEAA treasurer and webmaster
www.geocities.com/nbeaa
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/339.html
Reg Modlin with Daimler Chrysler is the Director of environmental energy and
planning seeking energy independence. He said that EV's with batteries are
deficient vehicles since they don't go as far. Plug-in series hybrids are
viable but cost is an issue. (All FCV's are series hybrids also). NEV's such
as Gem etc can be used to reduce ICE use. Fuel cells are a big challenge and
far into the future and DaimlerChrysler is not interested in EV's.

John Wallace with Ford said they explored EV's and didn't have success. ( I
observed the Think was an expensive AC drive which could have been made
cheaper although it was well liked in California during the Pivco Citi-Bee
program.) He said there was a cost issue with no profits. (They only hand
built 100). There is a limited market he said. Oil use doubled every 20
years and will peak in 2011 and decline after. (Where have I heard this
before?) Ford is targeting the better profit hybrid SUV's such as the Escape
SUV similar to the Explorer with low volume production in late 2003 to
fleets. (Not publicly available) Retail will be in 2004. Ford fuel cell
vehicle "Escape" battery will be used in the H2 fuel cell vehicle with
availability to fleets on a limited basis in 04' . He took a jab at EV's and
said we are not interested in the Sierra Club or Union of Concerned
Scientists, just the facts with regards to fuel cell vehicles.

So nobody said anything about how happy they were driving battery powered
EV's and not using gas but as it sound like there were few there doing that
I'm not surprised.

2004 ford employee to board " I have some very distressing news people in
alarming numbers have been removing the gas engines and replacing them with
electric motors and batteries instead of buying new cars they are even doing
this to our hybrids.  " board  "shocking news we must redesign all new cars
so this can't happen  any more"

Nice job on reporting mark

Steve Clunn
dose the shredder seem underpowered ?  6 hp is not a lot for a shredder but
to get that much power for a 120 v plug is not going to be easy either.  Are
you sure you can't run it off 240 ac .  Plug it into the dryer outlet .
I've seen 5 hp electric motors for less that $100 with 3600 rpm (same as the
gas motor)
> I just finished the annual shredding of the leaves that occurs every
> year here in tree town. The utensil of choice is a Sears 6 Hp shredder
> with the ubiquitous Tecumseh 4 stroke engine. It worked but it was
> noisy, hard to start and evil smelling.
>
> I think the substitution of an electric motor would be a step in the
> right direction as well as being a nice simple conversion project.
> So what do I need for a motor?
>
> I'm planning to plug it into the wall so I know it's going to be 120 V
> AC.
>
> What kind of horsepower do I need?
>
> I'm thinking that a speed reduction might be good partially to let the
> motor turn faster but mostly so that the speed reducer can absorb all
> the shock and bending loads that your typical electric motor might not
> care for.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> --
> Andrew King
> Ann Arbor Michigan
> technology is the answer, what was the question?

Jeremy,
The motor/controller/charger in the TDM version of the Ford Ranger EV were
made by Northrop-Grumman (Westinghouse), not by Siemens. I was just at TDM
Thanksgiving week picking up the remaining Ranger EV parts from their
inventory. There are 7 of us across the US that own most of the units
produced by TDM for Ford.
Dan Bortel

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 19:31, Andrew wrote:
> Hello All
> I just finished the annual shredding of the leaves that occurs every
> year here in tree town. The utensil of choice is a Sears 6 Hp shredder
> with the ubiquitous Tecumseh 4 stroke engine. It worked but it was
> noisy, hard to start and evil smelling.
>
> I think the substitution of an electric motor would be a step in the
> right direction as well as being a nice simple conversion project.
> So what do I need for a motor?
>
> I'm planning to plug it into the wall so I know it's going to be 120 V
> AC.
>
> What kind of horsepower do I need?

That's easy.  All you can pull from a normal 120V outlet is 15 amps
(actually something like 12 amps continuously).  That works out to be
about a 2hp motor which is roughly equivalent to a 5-6hp ICE.

> I'm thinking that a speed reduction might be good partially to let the
> motor turn faster but mostly so that the speed reducer can absorb all
> the shock and bending loads that your typical electric motor might not
> care for.

Kind of depends on the RPM rating of the motor you find.  My guess is that
it will be around 3450 RPM (assuming an induction motor) which is roughly
the same speed your ICE is spinning at so you really wouldn't want any
extra speed reduction.

Victor was a bit confused because I started out trying to buy an Ford Ranger
EV in March 2000. Just after I ordered it, the BPA here in Portland took
delivery of a truck just like I ordered from the one of 50 dealers here in
Beaverton, OR, and brought it to the OEVA meeting. This was my first OEVA
meeting, and I was thrilled to see the truck that I had ordered. However,
Ford had already decided not to sell them any more (just lease them--and I
never lease vehicles). The local dealer support was abysmal, taking over a
month to return phone calls. However, Ford AFV was very responsive and
helpful, and probably the only reason I ever got any response from the local
guys, who took 6 months to tell me I could not buy the truck. They also
claimed that I had not made a $2000 deposit on the truck until I faxed them
a copy of the cashed check from my bank. So I'm really glad not to have to
depend on them for service!

I then picked up a '94 US Electricar S10 from ebay with the GM Hughes
Dolphin AC drive. It soon developed an isolation fault (which took me a
while to figure out, making contacts with others and obtaining the
diagnostic program).
I replaced 6 dead batteries, and got some good miles in. Last winter, when
it was not working, I traced the entire motor controller PC board. I
doubtless have quite a few errors in my netlist, but it is still very
helpful. Faced with two engineers armed with a trusty opto-isolated Fluke
scopemeter, it started working, thwarting our efforts to find out what was
going wrong.
I drove it all summer, until it once again began having isolation faults.

It's readily apparent when you open the box that the plus end of the 405VDC
is very close to the case (and logic) ground. The PC board tolerances also
seem to be for low voltage, even in the high voltage section. This will
eventually fry the board. I plan to remove the high voltage section in the
corner and put it on a daugther board with proper tolerances.

There may be other problems, and I still haven't traced down the isolation
fault yet. However, I doubt that I will be running it until I get the PC
board problem addressed to avoid frying the board.

In the meantime, I'm converting a 2000 Honda Insight with good components.
However, I certainly miss having a pickup truck, and, if I can be convinced
that the AC drive and inverter will be reliable (especially if I use Rich's
PFC50 instead of the 3KW charger in the inverter box), I'll probably upgrade
the pack to Evercell MB50 NiZn batteries to replace the 42AH Hawkers, adding
some cooling, of course. This will be 600 lbs lighter (currently 1710 lbs in
52 Hawkers), and should easily get 100 miles range!

As far as I know, the EV Rangers have had a good record of reliability. You
might check with Geoff Shepherd, who bought his from Clayton. Geoff has even
been getting 70 mi range, and I believe his only major wish is for more
advanced batteries.

In summary, as far as I know the Ford engineering is good. Some of the
dealers are very supportive of the EV program, while others, like the one
near me, could care less for low-volume special orders (the dealership was
sold since Ford picked it, so that may be part of the problem). Their AFV
program has some good folks. However, batteries seem to the problem in both
the EV Ranger and the now abandoned Think program as well.
Finally, if this ever happens again, find a dealer (there are some really
good ones in CA) that is committed to the EV program.

Gary

> Gary Graunke, if you would like to discuss design flaws with the Ford
Inverters,
> please talk to me directly. I would like any input to improve other
inverters
> we are designing.

Again, Gary's truck is Chevy S10 by US Electricar, not Ranger.
He can comment on this issue better.

Victor

> Happy Holidays,
>
> Jeremy Maus
> Belleville, MI
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.emidget.info
> _____
> __/__|__\__
> =D-------/ - - \
> `-'O'---'O'-'

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 19:31, Andrew wrote:
Hello All
I just finished the annual shredding of the leaves that occurs every
year here in tree town. The utensil of choice is a Sears 6 Hp shredder
with the ubiquitous Tecumseh 4 stroke engine. It worked but it was
noisy, hard to start and evil smelling.

I think the substitution of an electric motor would be a step in the
right direction as well as being a nice simple conversion project.
So what do I need for a motor?

I'm planning to plug it into the wall so I know it's going to be 120 V
AC.

What kind of horsepower do I need?

I would bet a motor from a heavy duty table saw among many others would work fine.

Take a look at motors available at Grainger.

Use a 20A circuit and a large gauge extension cord.

Even if it doesn't make quite the power of the ICE, it will just take a little longer to accomplish the task.

Roy LeMeur Seattle WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informational Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

From: Victor Tikhonov

>> Gary Graunke, if you would like to discuss design flaws with the Ford
Inverters,
>> please talk to me directly.  I would like any input to improve other
inverters
>> we are designing.

>Again, Gary's truck is Chevy S10 by US Electricar, not Ranger.
>He can comment on this issue better.

Yep, Dan is correct.  My Mistake.

The motor/controller/charger in the TDM version of the Ford Ranger EV were
made by Northrop-Grumman (Westinghouse), not by Siemens. I was just at TDM
Thanksgiving week picking up the remaining Ranger EV parts from their
inventory. There are 7 of us across the US that own most of the units
produced by TDM for Ford.
Dan Bortel
You can buy a leaf shredder from Harbor Freight that is already electric(110V).
But it is around 1HP.  It may be cheaper and safer to buy one designed for
electric.

My 2 watts.

Jeremy Maus
Belleville, MI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.emidget.info
             _____
          __/__|__\__
=D-------/  -     -  \
         `-'O'---'O'-'

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 19:31, Andrew wrote:
>Hello All
>I just finished the annual shredding of the leaves that occurs every
>year here in tree town. The utensil of choice is a Sears 6 Hp shredder
>with the ubiquitous Tecumseh 4 stroke engine. It worked but it was
>noisy, hard to start and evil smelling.
>
>I think the substitution of an electric motor would be a step in the
>right direction as well as being a nice simple conversion project.
>So what do I need for a motor?
>
>I'm planning to plug it into the wall so I know it's going to be 120 V
>AC.
>
>What kind of horsepower do I need?

I would bet a motor from a heavy duty table saw among many others would work
fine.

Take a look at motors available at Grainger.

Use a 20A circuit and a large gauge extension cord.

Even if it doesn't make quite the power of the ICE, it will just take a
little longer to accomplish the task.

Roy LeMeur  Seattle WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informational Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

Despite the difficulties of having to do more than a bit of work to have an
EV (especially outside CA), even us non-car people can really enjoy that EV
grin when we are on the road. I'm convinced that many folks would really
like them if they ever tried a halfway decent EV.

I gave away my remaining aging ICE vehicles to less fortunate local folks in
need of transporation, and now have a family fleet of a Honda Insight (fine
hybrid that it was, it will be a great EV, too!), a Prius, a US Electricar
S10 pickup EV, and a hybrid Civic.

It seems that we, who better things to do, must take matters into our own
hands. I've been waiting for a fuel cell vehicle since some folks from GM
visited the high school where I was a student with their fuel cell, saying
fuel cell vehicles would be coming along in the not too distant future--in
1966!

Gary
=====================

1sclunn wrote:
funny that lots of people with one EV soon have two . We must let our gas
burnning friends in on what there missing .
I think you would need to get 4 units to get enough power to run a
motorcycle.  Seems it might put a cycle down the road over a hundred miles
with four units.  Couldn't read their specs.  The website has the specs.  I
don't like the part where they feel they need to refuel for you.  Sounds
like a way to keep control.  I don't see why a small refueling station
couldn't be had.  Lawrence Rhodes.........Maybe they don't see enough profit
in just selling the batteries.......