  1) Re: Metal spraying or welding?
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Electric fuel pump control question
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Saft Ni-Cad dying?
        by Matt Trevaskis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) ev rally in florida , west palm area
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: golf cart mishap
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Li-Ion Conference -  December 04 - Is ANY ONE GOING ??
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Electric Power Steering (Part Deux)
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Saft Ni-Cad dying?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: golf cart mishap
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: ev rally in florida , west palm area
        by "Shawn Waggoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) New Beetle Conversion Update
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: The Solar-Hydrogen Vehicle Has Arrived
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Metal spraying or welding?
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Marketing idea
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) 220/110 input/running AC adapt. to brushless fan issue
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Electric Power Steering (Part Deux)
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: golf cart mishap
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Response to Rudman
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Response to Rudman
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) EV rescue takes a turn.......
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Re: EV rescue takes a turn.......
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Saft Ni-Cad dying?
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EV rescue takes a turn.......
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I one time put a shaft on a motor by drilling a hole in the "to be attached
" shaft a little smaller that the motor shaft , I then heated the to be
attached shaft red hot , taped it on and when it cooled it locked on and
never came off.  It took a few trys to get the right size hole , first try
was to small and when if cooled it cracked the to be attached shaft, .

Are you still selling motor brushes , ?  I still need some for my 9"ge.
steve clunn

From: "Rod Hower" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I have a 1995 Club Car with a Curtis 400A control.
> It was hissing and spitting when the kids were driving
> for about an hour.  I let is sit for an hour and
> decided to try and drive it back to the garage.  I
> went about 30 feet and it shorted full on!!!!

> Hit the key switch and the main contactor dropped out
> and the joy ride was over.

first thing people hit is the brakes , did you do this and they not stop the
cart?
good you were in it and not your kids.

I am happy to say I've never had a dcp blow that the main contactor didn't
open , I don't know about the zilla as have never had one blow but the stuff
is there to do the job.
.
> So, more repairs (does it ever end?)
> I can only imagine John W's thrill when a high powered
> Datsun doing 100MPH shorts!  I was on a golf cart and
> the adrenilin was pumping, I don't want to to even be
> in John's position.  Make your backup safety systems
> work, or you will be a splattered EV'r!!!

Funny but this seems to be overlooked with the golf carts .
steve clunn

> Rod

did they have one last year, I think last year Jon Halquest went with one of
my EV.s and tried to get in , Yes I'd like to go but even spending $50 to
get in would be a little much to have people promising me great batteries
but not today.
hope somebody goes and reports ...

From: "Steve Clunn"

<Snipped>

> Are you still selling motor brushes , ?  I still need some for my 9"ge.
> steve clunn

Steve, send me pics and/or measurements and I will be glad to look. Did find
a # of boxes marked for GE starter/generators but most everything else is
not marked. David Chapman.

In order to do conversions at a reasonable price, gliders will need to be
available cheap. These can come from automobile recyclers, auctions, or used
car lots in various states of repair. A good glider should have:

Good looks with bad engine.
Good heating, ventilation, and interior.
Easy to alter engine bay, and battery storage space.
Room to run cables from engine bay to battery box.
Low corrosion problems.
Large or upgradable brakes.
Good weight handling capability.
Easy to modify heater.

I agree that the low maintenance aspect of an EV needs to be pressed and I
agree that flooded batteries are not low maintenance unless there is a
central watering system.

If a platform could be identified that is reasonably easy to adapt to
electric, kits could be built to support an options list such as:

Batteries: ()Optima,()Orbital,()ThunderSky*, ()Kokam*,()Saft, etc.
*=Includes BMS
DC Motor: ()9inch ADC, ()8 inch ADC,()Kostov
DC Controller:()Z1K, ()Z2K
DC Converter: () 30 amp, ()60 amp, ()90 amp
AC Motor:()Siemens 30 kW,()Siemens 45 kW,()Siemens 70 kW,()Siemens 85 kW
AC controller: ()Siemens Simovert, ()Siemens Simotion
Charger: ()3 kW, ()6 kW,()12 kW
Battery heaters:()yes,()no

Each option could have a price attached to it. Some standard items that
would need to be included would be: a kit to convert the heater to a ceramic
element, main pack fuses, main contactors, emergency/safety disconnect,
charger inlet port, main pack conductors, etc.

I would propose to build two kits. One for a rear drive two passenger car (a
Fiero or 914 type) and for a front drive four passenger car (a Metro or
Civic or even Camry size). Each would need to be a car with good parts
support as well as meet the requirements of the second paragraph. I don't
know the newer cars well enough to judge how well any of them meet the
second paragraph requirements.

I would think that electric Miatas or Civics or Camrys might sell reasonably
well if priced right.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I know cheap EV sports cars have been done before. Look at
> Green Motor Works(Gone now, offered Porsche Spyder replicas
> for < $30k that could compete with Miatas), or Universal
> Electric Vehicles(Not yet producing). Problem is, they are
> tiny sports cars that are based on kits or from the ground
> up, which people aren't really looking for. I don't know of
> anyone that has ever tried selling EV conversions that take
> after Blue Meanie in characteristics. I think that idea
> would really make some headway. Once some decent revenue is
> generated, maybe mass production could be done and a volume
> large enough to put in affordable lithium packs could be
> achieved? AC Propulsion's approach with its Scions, as ugly
> as they are, is a great step forward, but their drivetrain
> is so damned expensive and well out of affordable price
> range for most people. I wouldn't pay 40 large or more for a
> Scion xB, no way. Something for < $25k needs to be done,
> with performance to match cars triple its price. This would
> entail using things off the shelf, DC motors, sealed lead
> acid batteries, ect.
>
> Of course, as they say, opinions are like assholes, and I'm
> probably just a 19 year old talking out my ass. Just
> throwing partially repeated ideas around, however viable or
> not they may be.

I thought about this myself and came up with a couple
of relays and 2 fans, when connected to 220 the fans
are connected in series, when connected to 110 they
are in parrallel. I think I ended up with 4 relays
total, that way I could have both a 110 and a 220
receptacles on the car. The extra relays disconect the
unused receptacle so you don't have the 110 hot while
charging from 220.

TiM

http://vote.yahoo.com

I just read about this for the first time today. We rebuild hydraulic motor,
though I haven't the faintest idea about how the systems work. The reason
why I never checked this thread before, just no time. Anyway, I do have a
couple of companies that are customers of mine that build custom systems.
Mostly cranes, lifts, etc. But their stuff is "oddball" so to speak, so they
could have some knowledge of doing not off the shelf things like you
described for your steering. Also if I recall some forklifts have hydraulic
power steering as well. If you email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], I can
pass the email onto my customers. Try to include as much info as possible in
the email, or a phone number that they can call you at to get more info.
Again my apologies for not seeing this sooner.

I always have the engage contactor connected to the throttle peddle so when
you press the microswitch on the potbox, there is a click each time to apply
power to the controller. The main key switch contactor is still used also. I
also have a bypass full-on contactor in case the controller opens when
there's a MACK truck behind you. Always use these for safety when building
an EV or Ebike. Mark

> I have a 1995 Club Car with a Curtis 400A control.
> It was hissing and spitting when the kids were driving
> for about an hour.  I let is sit for an hour and
> decided to try and drive it back to the garage.  I
> went about 30 feet and it shorted full on!!!!
> Hit the key switch and the main contactor dropped out
> and the joy ride was over.
> So, more repairs (does it ever end?)
> I can only imagine John W's thrill when a high powered
> Datsun doing 100MPH shorts!  I was on a golf cart and
> the adrenilin was pumping, I don't want to to even be
> in John's position.  Make your backup safety systems
> work, or you will be a splattered EV'r!!!
> Rod

What could be better reading, than Rod and Rich going at it?

Roderick Wilde wrote:

> First off I want to let you all know that I do appreciate all the hard work
> and effort Rich has put into "Gone Postal" and the "Suck Amps EV Racing
> Team". He has done a great deal for the sport of electric drag racing and
> has added a lot of color to it.

I'm glad you posted this. In addition to all that hits the list, there's a lot going on
behind the scenes that sometimes gets forgotten, or simply taken for granted.
Nutty as he is, the Madman has been and always will be, a great friend, and especially
this year, has been a huge help in getting White Zombie to perform the way it has.

> As Dennis said: "The proof is in the time slips."

Yes, how true. I've got time slips that prove many of the Madman's ideas work well.
I've
got one posted at the Zombie's EV Album photo page that shows the Wayland-Rudman
collaboration works to the tune of 12.99 @ 101 mph.

Thank you Rich, for all the hard work, whether it's those wonderful chargers (thanks
also
to Joe Smalley) that get the beast charged up so quickly trackside, you driving down to
Portland with hard-to-find sticky drag radials in the bed of your truck, or the late
night
argument sessions over pie about if one of my crazy ideas will work or not.

See Ya...John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

Hitting PIR this Friday with 288V

From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hitting PIR this Friday with 288V

Any changes from Woodburn besides the 4 extra batteries? You didn't manage to replace the SCR did you?

damon

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx

Okay folks,

I've lurked for a couple of years and posted occasionally about my progress on the
conversion of a '71 Karmann Ghia coupe.  The coupe was a compromise, due to the dearth
of decent cabriolets available at project pricing..  Besides, you need a coupe to
support all that extra battery weight, right?  Well, Eric Ryan, former director of the
high school www.EVChallenge.org organization proved me wrong with a tire-smoking 1965
Ghia Cabriolet; "Ghost Dancer".  However, fried Hawkers and a new business venture led
him to give up the Ghost, but not before unceremoniously parting out most of the
conversion components on EBay a few weeks back.  Well, I invervened before the gas
tank was refilled, and purchased the glider this weekend.

EV buddy Doug Weathers, who's Ghia conversion is storied at
http://learn-something.homedns.org:8100/weblog/ghia/index.html
agreed to help me retrieve the glider and tow it the 520 miles home.  After a great
drive down from Portland over the snowcapped Cascades and past the formerly forested
plains of central Oregon, we wound our way through the walnut groves of Northern
California to Chico.  The glider was as promised, gleaming Midnight Mica Blue in it's
rechromed, but gutless glory.  We sealed the deal, loaded the truck with spare parts,
hitched up the tow bar, set out for the Sierra Nevada Brewpub to toast our success.

Less than two miles later, as I execute a legal U-turn to access parking, the custom
extended tow bar that has faithfully pulled Ghias over 5000 miles for me cracks apart!
Yep, one arm of the wishbone snapped off with a terrifying "POP", and the sound of
steel meeting concrete is accompanied by a shower of sparks as the beautiful Ghia
begins gyrating wildly on 1/2 of it's tether.  Fortunately, we're pointed uphill, and
manage to ease the rig to a stop without smashing the Ghia into my truck's rear
bumper.  Only one small dent and a scratch under the nose will linger to remind me of
that terrifying moment.
Fortunately, an extra (shorter) tow bar was included in the parts stash, and after a
short jog to the Wal-Mart for a smaller hitch ball, we're able to complete our dinner
plans and make it home uneventfully after 500+ miles of very slow and wide turning
maneuvers.

Now the 'vert is safely stashed in my garage, awaiting the transplant of a modern
(1971) independent rear suspension pan with custom reinforcement and battery boxes,
and I am, once again, broke and happily exhausted.

Thanks for your time,
Jay Donnaway
Vancouver, WA

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Great post! It looks like John has some northern competition in the story telling department. Keep us informed of your progress.

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

[...]

Your batteries are in normal condition Matt.
The optelec charger is a batterie killer, don't expect having total nicad
range, expected life and same resting voltage for your 3 blocks.
I see same voltage difference than you mon ami.
A friend (ALEL) has modified a curtis charger to replace the optelec, it is
1/2 slow (better for batteries lifetime) and you obtain more range, less
gasing but for servicing charge you still need the optelec or the TEP96 (i
know you have both :^) to reset the ECU.

Seems you are seeing like an overtemp controller problem which enabled fault
protection, looks like same result than eco mode (35km/h max with reduced
acceleration)
Don't worry about that until controller stay always at this low performances
level, i already seen this symptom coming and disapearing itself quickly on
one scooter, i was on the way to test/replace excitation mosfet but problem
dispeared itself during monitoring ride.

Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

> On the first discharge (and 2 days later) after a maintenance charge my
> Scoot'elec displayed some worrying symptoms when it got down to about 30%
> SOC.
>
> The speed started to drop off quite rapidly - down to about 20mph (35km/h)
> instead of the usual 30mph (50km/h).  It then displayed the fault light
and
> stopped.  Being only a few hundred metres from home (albeit uphill) I
> persevered and switched off-switched on (several times) and limped home.
>
> The voltage across the string of 3 STM5-100MRs was 16.5v if I recall
> correctly.  I fully charged it and have now set about trying to determine
if
> I have one or more weak monoblocks.
>
> I discharged the scooter to about the same 30% SOC (again after a couple
of
> days) and it started to exhibit the same behaviour, though not so severe.
> Removing the body panels, and putting a voltmeter across each of the
> batteries they read 6.20v, 6.26v and 6.28v.  The lowest of these concerns
> me.  Does this look like it is going bad?
>
> Putting them on to charge again, and letting it get into the equalization
> phase, the same monoblock was showing a voltage across it about 0.2 -
0.25v
> higher than the other two (7.45v against 7.20v though this was rising all
> the time)
>
> They have just under 60,000 discharged Ah on them (23,500km on the
scooter)

> Matt :-{

Lol Jay, sounds like you have the same kind of adventures pursuing your EV
dreams that I do. Somehow makes it that much more worthwhile, though usually
upon reflection . Reminds me of outrunning 9K lbs of G-Van and trailer
coming down the icey Grape Vine in early winter when the trailer brakes
suddenly decided NOT to work. Since my buddy Tom was driving, all I could do
was hang on and quietly panic. He did a great job keeping us on the road and
everything was well. Good thing that I wasn't scheduled for a proctological
exam anytime soon afterward. Good luck on your new project, I have always
loved Ghias and especially look forward to seeing (another) EV version on
the road. Regards, David Chapman.