  1) OT - Need help building reverse EV
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
  3) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: OT - Need help building reverse EV
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: OT - Need help building reverse EV
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) actuations of brake/reservoir size
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) re: marketing idea
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Electric Power Steering (Part Deux)
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electric Power Steering (Part Deux)
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by Roderick Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: actuations of brake/reservoir size
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) trouble-shooting in indiana
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Optima blue top questions
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Wham, Bam...Thanks, I think
        by michael bearden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Electric Power Steering (Part Deux)
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Wham, Bam...Thanks, I think
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) More info RE: actuations of brake/reservoir size
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I decided I want to build a bicycle powered battery charger, and found this website that seems to have good details. http://www.detailshere.com/bicyclealternator.htm.

I thought I understood everything here, but I can't seem to get the alternator to work. I got a 12V 120ma light bulb and put it in series with what I think is the field coil, but when I spin the alternator the voltage only rises to about 700 mv which seems suspicously close to the voltage drop across a diode.

In all there are 4 connections on the alternator I am using. Two are blade style connecters inside the case. The other two are bolt style, one of which is a direct connection to the alternator case. I wired the bulb circuit in series with one of the blade connectors and the case of the alternator. Their was continuity between these two points which made me believe this is the field coil. The bulb lights up when I complete the circuit. I am measuring across the case and the other bolt connector which is colored red and with a beefy enough connection to make it seem like this would be the output of the alternator.

I am spinning the alternator with a drill press which claims to spin at about 1400 RPM.

Any ideas?  Offline would be fine.

damon

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx

Isn't that the El Dorado FWD tranny?  If that is the case why not just use a
monster truck front diff??????
Lawrence Rhodes......