  1) new SF EAA chapter meets Saturday
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Saft Ni-Cad dying?
        by Matt Trevaskis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: actuations of brake/res; now arc suppr. in vac. sys.
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) 144V and 1231C
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Wham, Bam...Thanks, I think
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: The Prius that Shook the World
        by "John Whitfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: 144V and 1231C
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: 144V and 1231C
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Who handles NEDRA tech questions for new builders????
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Tranny Off Progress Report
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Adapter Questions
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Dog clutches
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) New Batteries not so new
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: New Batteries not so new
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: New Batteries not so new
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: New Batteries not so new
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Silicon Valley EAA Chapter Rally 2004 images
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: New Batteries not so new
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) New Beetle Conversion Web Update
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Fwd: New Batteries not so new
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
        by Aaron Birenboim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) analog optoisolators
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) 34XCD Dimensions
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: New Batteries not so new
You’re invited to the inaugural meeting of the
Electric Auto Association’s San Francisco chapter:

Saturday, October 16
12 noon to 2 p.m.
847 Haight Street (between Divisadero and Scott)

The EAA is an educational, support and advocacy group
for the promotion of electric cars. Electric cars
provide emission-free personal transportation using
electricity, not fossil fuels. Come hear how you can
drive a quiet, non-polluting car without gas or oil.

Two electric cars will be available for rides:
        - Toyota RAV 4 EV
        - Ford Escort station wagon electric conversion

Plus:
        - A demonstration of at-home charging.
        - A report on the successful Greenpeace and
JumpstartFord campaign to save Th!nk City electric
cars.
        - PV/EV: Power your car from solar panels on your
home.

The meeting is open to all and free of charge.  EAA
Members encouraged. AVCON or SPI charging available.
Transit: MUNI 6, 7, 24, 71, N Judah

For more information, call Marc Geller at
415-861-7278.

Philippe,

I think that you are right... it does feel just like eco mode, it will run
at about 35km/h, turn on the fault light and as soon as I release the
accelerator (for a corner or junction etc.) it stops.

The controller was showing a temperature of 33 degrees C (after about 5
minutes) which did seem a bit higher than normal.  Will monitor this more
closely.

At least I don't need to spend circa 1200 euro/$ on new batteries!  Phew!
(Just maybe 800 on a new ECU!)

(Thanks to Rod too)

Matt

Bob Bath wrote:

> I still say that adjustability in the square D switch
> is the big kahuna here.
>    Amazing; I'm scouting for the info on that dang
> diode setup to prevent arcing (because I need to
> install it too), and can't find it anywhere!  You are
> correct.  There are two diodes involved in the system.
> Let's see if by re-labeling the send, we can get Lee
> or someone to remind us...

Hi Bob,

Lots of hysteresis is a good thing in your vac line to keep the cycling to a
reasonable level.  The square D is one way to get it.  Unfortunately I can't
afford the space.  I haven't done this quite yet, but here's what I have in
mind.

Use two of the little switches from EV Parts.
(http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=82&product_id=1577)
They have NO and NC contacts and have an adjustable set point.  Use one to
switch on at 10" and the other to switch off at 20" (or whatever pressures
you want).  I forget how many amps the contacts can handle, but it's not
much.  Use them to drive a pump relay.  Makes for a very compact and
reasonably priced system.

Hi Lynn,

Good questions and answers and thanks for bringing this subject up. I have
more questions then answers if you or someone can help out.

I just installed a new set of 8VGC-HCs in my car two months ago. These are
the blue tops and I'm running 144 volts.

The range is aweful. I'm lucky if I can get 20 miles out of them. Maybe they
need a bit of break in period first. I did check them with the volt meter
and they all seem to be pretty equal. But I may go back again. As I recall
After charging they seem to get up to about 9.3 volts and they seem to need
a charge at 8.4 since the performance seems to lack at that level. Not a
wide margin. Not sure what the ending charge should be but 168 sticks in my
mind.

I asked this question before but what are people using to charge these
batteries. The last time this was discussed Rich's charger was recommended
and an inrush current of 16 amps was recommended. I can get my K&W up to 12
amps and the circuit trips at 13 or 14 so is 12 amps OK or will the
batteries start to sulfate if I don't shake them down with 16 amps. And what
is the break in period? As far as range. I know my brakes aren't dragging
since the car seems to coast forever. I count on coasting to get as much as
I can with the limited range the car seems to have.

Thanks

Chip Gribben

On 10/12/04 2:30 PM, "Electric Vehicle Discussion List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:39:12 -0600
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
>
> An ongoing question.  I am now in the middle a science experiment to
> answer these questions:
> All miles were on the same commute 43 miles to work, recharge, 43 mile
> home recharge etc. (with a little variation as you can expect commuting)
>
> Which is better, US Battery 8VGC's or US Battery 8VGC-HC?
>
> Answer:  The 8VGC gave me 12,300 miles, the 8VGC-HC gave me 14,100
> miles.  Pound for pound the same milage, but the -HC leaked something
> awful and I had massive acid build up in the battery boxes (and
> continual odor).  Probabally something to do with the higher level of
> acid to cover the expanded plates, without increasing the case height.
> I would recommend the 8VGC over the 8VGC-HC's.
>
> Which is better, US Battery 8VGC's or Trojan T-825?
>
> Now running the T-825's and have 6,400 miles on them.  No issues so far,
> but then the US8VGC were good at 6000 miles too.
> An answer to this question should be available next March (the time
> where I should surpass the 8VGC milage)
>
> When the T-825's can no longer make my commute, I will be changing the
> car over to 108 V system using T125.  So around spring time, 2006, I
> will have an answer to the your question backed up with real world data.
>
> General advice on the list is that 6 volters give longer life than 8V.
>

> Lynn Adams
>
> See my 100% electric car at http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/379.html

I'm planning to initially install a string of 12 12V Lead-acid batteries for
a 144V system, using a Curtis 1231C controller.   I know that the batteries
initially get charged to 13.2V each, which is more than the 144V max for
which the 1231C is rated.  Should I drop to 11 batteries, or will the 1231C
be able to handle the overvoltage?  Thanks.

I might have a 'Dub adapter.

I offered it to someone this AM, but lets see if he bites. Keep it under 2000 amps on those VW transaxles, though :)

Seth
On Oct 11, 2004, at 10:42 PM, michael bearden wrote:

Well, my questions about what to do about parts for the next EV got answered today when a Toy pig-up turned in front of me at a traffic light as I rolled through the intersection inWATTABMR at close to the 40mph speed that is posted. It pasted the Toy pretty well, and I won't be driving the BMW anywhere again, but no one was hurt. I actually didn't feel any real impact, and I know it hit fairly hard. That BavarianMotorVerks makes stout cars! No one else stopped, so I don't have any witnesses to the fact that I didn't run a red light, ( and the other driver claims he had the arrow to turn) so I think the insurance companies are going to say "It's on you." My loss is my daily driver for now, but looking on the bright side, now I have everything I need to make a new EV-batteries, controller, charger, regs, DC/DC and a GE motor that is just nicely broken in after the last four years of driving (on the 16th of this month).
Anybody got a VW transaxle adaptor gathering dust?
Michael B.

Couldn't find the book, but since you asked for any leads, I did some poking around
and found that the back matter of "The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles From The
World's Greatest Manufacturer" (ISBN: 0071392319) includes a reference to "Itazaki,
Hideshi. The Prius That Shook the World: How Toyota Developed the World's First
Mass-Production Hybrid Vehicle. Translated by A. Yamada and M. Ishidawa."  Apparently
the book has never been assigned an ISBN number under that title, so I'm guessing that
it's not generally available in English.  A place called "John's Used Books" had a hit
from a search engine, but nothing when I checked.  My guess is that they only had one
copy and sold it.

If you want to keep trying, I'd suggest trying http://www.usedbookseach.co.uk from
time to time with "prius toyota shook" as the search criteria in the title.  It takes
a while to run because they search multiple used book dealers for the title and some
of the searches run slowly.  There are a few glitches in the system, but it's better
than trying to deal with a dozen different sites on your own.

Sorry I couldn't find anything more substantial.

Hope this helps,
John Whitfield