  1) Active Wheel-weight
        by Lee Dekker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Insurance idea: drive more, pay more
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) waiting for word of Buckeye Bullet speed trial
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Solution for "Gone Postal's" broken tranny found
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Odd Brake behavior questions
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Insurance idea: drive more, pay more
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Fwd: Buckeye Bullet sets World Record!!!!
        by Roderick Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Buckeye Bullet news!!
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: 34XCD
        by "Shawn Waggoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) LiIon price increase -- a result of new regulations?
        by Gary Graunke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Fwd: Michelin Active Wheel
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Heater
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fwd: Michelin Active Wheel
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Adapter Questions
        by "evranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: New Batteries not so new
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 34XCD Dimensions
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) A lawyer, a.k.a. engineer
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Another Prius article, closer to the EV target
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Vego 450 IQ Controller
 20) Re: LiIon price increase -- a result of new regulations?
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Vego 450 IQ Controller
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Heater
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: 34XCD Dimensions
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Charging 8VGC-HC
        by Nawaz Qureshi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Vego 450 IQ Controller
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Heater
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Heater
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: 6-Volt vs. 8-volt Batteries
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
What fun. Thanks. And thanks for not getting into the aerodynamics of the moving
suspension parts.

Bob Rice wrote:

> If the insurance co's want to
> do us ALL a favor, they can go after the @#$% uninsured driver!

Naw, that's too simple and does away with one of their main reasons for
charging us more.

Kind of like conductive charging, eh?

In Iceland, if you go drive ten years without an accident, you get free
insurance. Would you believe that there are LOTS of REALLY careful,
considerate drivers over there?

Too bad it makes way too much sense to fly here in the US.

Marv

...well, it's been about 2 1/2 hours since the Buckeye Bullet was to makes
it's world speed record run at Bonneville today...

there's no news expected on their website
(http://www.roadtobonneville.com/latestnews.html) until this evening, but I
was hoping someone on the list has some info...

anyone know the lastest news?  this is almost as bad as waiting for news about
Gone Postal's first day on the track at Vegas!!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yes but the distance from the axle to the rear of the transmission is still close to two feet (24") on the 79-85 models and even more on the older version.
Mike G .
I used to work on these vehicles when I first got started as a mechanic.

Dave wrote:

Here is a link to tech illustration of the GMC front wheel drive setup which used the Toronado drivetrain. It looks like the engine is set about centered over the driveshafts.
http://www.gmcmotorhome.net/pages/engine.html
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:31:32 -0400
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Giorgio Rizzoni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Buckeye Bullet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Buckeye Bullet sets World Record!!!!

Bonneville International Speedway
Bonneville Salt Flats, UT
October 13th, 2004

The Ohio State University Buckeye Bullet, a vehicle designed, built, and
maintained by OSU students, set the new international land speed (LSR)
record in the E-III category (the top class of electric vehicles) at 271.737
mph (427.225 km/hr) around 3:30pm MT.

The international LSR is set by running a set 1-km course in opposite
directions within the span of sixty minutes.  Run-up to the "flying
kilometer" section consists of a three-mile stretch of the salt flats.
After a forward run, the vehicle must complete the flying kilometer in the
reverse direction within 60 minutes.

Today, the Bullet was the first vehicle to line up for the international
record run - the first opportunity at the 2004 World Finals, around 2:30pm.
With driver Roger Schroer of TRC, Inc. at the wheel, the forward run
resulted in a speed of over 267 mph at the end of the measured km, and the
return run was close to 276 mph.  The average speed over the kilometer in
both directions was timed at 271.737.  These runs eclipse the 245 mph record
previously held by White Lightning in 1999.

The Bullet also holds the U.S. LSR at around 257 mph, set last October 18th,
2003.  The Bullet team will attempt to surpass its own U.S. record during
remainder of the World Finals, which last through Saturday, October 16th.
National record attempts are set according to a different set of rules,
which include a 4-hour impound period between runs.  The Bullet came close
to re-setting its record last August during SpeedWeek with a forward run
averaging 308 mph, but the return run was foiled by a driveline mechanical
failure.

Go Bucks!  Go Fast!

Giorgio Rizzoni
The Ford Motor Company Chair in Electromechanical Systems
Professor of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
Director, Center for Automotive Research
The Ohio State University
930 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212

Team website:  http://www.buckeyebullet.com/
For daily updates:  http://www.roadtobonneville.com/

all right!!!  just got this in email from the Buckeye team!

"hey ho, way to go" and all that...

---begin---

[...]

---end---

Yes, both the XCD (automotive version) and blue top (marine) both have 2
holes down the center that can be used for tie-downs.

Shawn M. Waggoner
Florida EAA

From:  Sam Thurber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Wed Oct 13, 2004  7:28 pm
Subject:  Re: TS Price Increase

Just so you know, the price of all Lithium batteries
has started going up. The explaination I've received
from more than one Chinese supplier is "Iraq war" or
increasing petroleum costs have made their raw
materials price skyrocket. Turns out the Li-ion
batteries use lots of petro-chemicals to make :)

-Sam
Agreed that in general you want less unsprung weight, however I think
you can argue wheels motors would not be too much weight for safe
handling.

Take the Mini Cooper. With its run-flat tires, each wheel and tire
weighs close to 50 pounds! Autocrossers can cut this weight in half
with lighter rims and tires. Suppose you have another 10 pounds or so
per wheel you can save by eliminating driveshafts, and smaller brakes
(regen makes up the difference). Now you have about 35 pounds per
wheel to play with, and still have handling equal to the original
stock car. A geared Lynch/Etek style motor should be able to meet
this weight, and still deliver acceleration equal to a stock Mini.

--- Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One problem with these motor-in-the-wheel solutions: unsprung
> weight!
>
> One of the biggest challenges with tires, wheels and suspension
> components has been keeping the
> weight as low as possible. Even at relatively low speed you can
> lose traction going around a
> corner on a rough road. Shock absorbers have to absorb/overcome the
> inertia of a tire bouncing up
> so the springs can try and push it back down to the ground. And a
> tire has no traction unless it's
> firmly on the ground. By adding the weight of a motor to the wheel
> weight you can compound the
> problem.
>
> Having the motor in the wheel is great for a city bus (or NEV), but
> not a passenger car.

=====

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

I just got my "Harbor Freight" catalouge, and noticed a ceramic heater in it for
$6.49. Maybe a few of those, strategicaly placed and controlled, would make an
interior a little more livable?
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

> Take the Mini Cooper. With its run-flat tires, each wheel and tire
> weighs close to 50 pounds! Autocrossers can cut this weight in half
> with lighter rims and tires. Suppose you have another 10 pounds or so
> per wheel you can save by eliminating driveshafts, and smaller brakes
> (regen makes up the difference). Now you have about 35 pounds per
> wheel to play with, and still have handling equal to the original
> stock car.

I'd say xfer some of that saved weight back to full mechanical brakes
(redundancy in critical systems is Good), but that _still_ leaves a generous
margin... heck, think of all the extra room in the car for batteries!

I'm guessing that Michelin gave it some thought, eh?  (actually, I seem to
recall that they are doing some clever in-the-wheel springing, between the
rotor rim and the tire rim, I belive - haven't heard more than the marketing
copy, though... anyone have a first-hand report of how well the thing works?)

I have found the Kostov(11") features to not be reliable and don't
recommend using the raised area around the output shaft that you
mention. On mine, I turned the OD of the end plate while referencing the
ID of the output bearing bore. The end plate OD is a slip fit into the
adapter plate counter bore. With this, you know everything is concentric
with the motor shaft. Here's a link to some pictures.

http://home.pacbell.net/evranger/motorto.htm

Dave