  1) Re: OT: Food energy
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) New Toyota hybrid sportscar concept - Volta
        by "Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: FW: OT: Food energy
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: go Buckeyes!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Winterizing EV?
        by W Bryan Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) test please ignore
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 34XCD Dimensions
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EarthLink Virus Blocker: Message from EVDL Quarantined
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: OT: Food energy
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: the cost of running an EV
        by "Will Bain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: vac. pump wiring & relay diode #
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Ford Escape Hybrid Ads Changing Their Tune?
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: [RAV4-EV] Ford Escape Hybrid Ads Changing Their Tune?
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) vacuum pumps
        by Jon Glauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: the cost of running an EV
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: OT: Food energy
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: [RAV4-EV] Ford Escape Hybrid Ads Changing Their Tune?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: the cost of running an EV
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: vac. pump wiring & relay diode #
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Fwd: New ish batteries
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) NiZn batteries was: New ish batteries
        by "EAA-contact" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: the cost of running an EV
        by Jon Glauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Woodburn Stories?
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) EV 'X' prize? (part 1)
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) hot dang!! buckeyes do it!
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Old power plant stuff
        by "Andre Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Food energy (was: the cost of running an EV)
i ride my push bike 5 miles each way to work
the reason is partly for exercise (i work at a desk)
and partly due to the fact that cycling along a canal
bank is far more pleasat than driving through trafic
every morning
regarding energy use it costs far more to cycle simply
due to the fact that a £150 mountain bike is a wreck
after 6mts use so i actually end up buying a new one
every 6mts or so
i'm building an etek powered one at present though for
use in the summer (the ride home is largely uphill)
can any one help me with the battery selection for
this from previous experience rather than theory ?
weight of bike will be 50kg top speed 40mph 48V
regards
richard

  --- "James F. Jarrett"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We probably have wandered too far but...
>
> When I was in college (about 1989) one of my
> professors was an AVID
> cyclist.  He lived 10 miles from the school and rode
> his bike every day
> as long as the weather was nice (and this was in the
> Smoky Mountains of
> NC!)
>
> One of his students asked him why he did it, and he
> responded "its
> cheaper than driving".  One of the class called
> B.S., and seeing as it
> was a math class, we  decided to prove / disprove
> it.  I don't have my
> notes from then, but when everything was said and
> done, *IF* he got his
> calories the cheapest way possible (I think we
> figured it at about $2.00
> per "meal" and three meals per day) it was cheaper
> to operate just about
> any automobile owned by any of the students than to
> ride the bike.
>
> He stlll rode it everyday, just gave a different
> reason when asked.
>
> James
>
> Jon "Sheer" Pullen wrote:
>

> >>A friend of mine, has work out the amount of
> energy he takes to run his
> >>

> >bike
> >

> >>1 mile.
> >>
> >>He makes 1 hamburger per mile.
> >>

> >I think he made a big mistake. I made it out at
> about 1/20th the energy
> >found in a hamburger per mile on level ground, but
> I don't still have my
> >work so I don't know (and don't remember) how I got
> there. Perhaps someone
> >would be interested in doing a 'spherical cow'
> style back of the envalope on
> >this and announcing their results and the logic
> they used to get there?
> >
> >Or perhaps we've again wandered off topic too far.
> >
> >S.

___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger -
all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Thought the list might be interested in this...

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

I certainly wouldn't mind driving something like this.

Jay

This is an interesting off-topic, I'll try to swing it a little back
on-topic.

according to....
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question527.htm

it takes about 34 calories per mile for a 175lb person to bicycle 15mph on
level ground.

An original Whopper with cheese and all the toppings contains 800
calories, and costs $1.79 here.

So a Whopper can get us 23.5 miles per sandwich at 7.6 cents per mile.

So here's my spin back to ev content....

I have 3 bicycles, all cheap.

A Huffy mountain bike, a NEXT full suspension(cheap taiwanese Wal-Mart
junk (spit-tooie)), and an old ten speed road bike(Ross I think, Salvation
Army real cheap)

The Ross is a joy to ride on the roads, it is light, pedals easily and
coasts well, but I wouldn't think of taking it down my hillside trails.
Maybe it could get 23.5 miles per sandwich.

The Huffy is at least two times more difficult to pedal on the road, but
is rugged enough to ride in the wood on the trails. 12 miles per sandwich?

The NEXT I don't even consider riding on the road, I would estimate that
half of my energy goes into compressing and de-compressing the suspension
while riding the road. But in the woods and down the hill, man what a
difference, this is where the suspension really shines. 6 miles per
sandwich?

Ok, obviously I've pointed out that I can't just say(or anyone else) that
it takes a y-lb human, x-amount of calories to pedal a bicycle z-distance
at n-rate. There are many more variables to consider(wind, terrain, type
of cycle, etc.).

What I'm wondering though, I know quite few people on this list have
electrified their bicycles, (Too bad Pete's out of touch, this is his
forte')has anyone done an efficiency comparison of type of electrified
bicycle.

I may consider doing that next summer(snow is coming, gives me build
time). Electrify each of my bikes and measure the efficiency of each
design. I would still expect the Ross to excel. I expect the Huffy and the
NEXT to come closer together, because the electric drive will not have to
deal with the flexing of the suspension. They have the same type and size
of tires, and weigh about the same. In fact I would also expect the NEXT
to now be the favored ride, due to the suspension.

I'll also measure the difference between road tires vs. knobby's.

I imagine though that someone has already done most of this work.

Thoughts?

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right!" --Henry Ford

Stay Charged!
Hump

> i ride my push bike 5 miles each way to work
> the reason is partly for exercise (i work at a desk)
> and partly due to the fact that cycling along a canal
> bank is far more pleasat than driving through trafic
> every morning
> regarding energy use it costs far more to cycle simply
> due to the fact that a £150 mountain bike is a wreck
> after 6mts use so i actually end up buying a new one
> every 6mts or so
> i'm building an etek powered one at present though for
> use in the summer (the ride home is largely uphill)
> can any one help me with the battery selection for
> this from previous experience rather than theory ?
> weight of bike will be 50kg top speed 40mph 48V
> regards
> richard
>
>   --- "James F. Jarrett"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> We probably have wandered too far but...
>>
>> When I was in college (about 1989) one of my
>> professors was an AVID
>> cyclist.  He lived 10 miles from the school and rode
>> his bike every day
>> as long as the weather was nice (and this was in the
>> Smoky Mountains of
>> NC!)
>>
>> One of his students asked him why he did it, and he
>> responded "its
>> cheaper than driving".  One of the class called
>> B.S., and seeing as it
>> was a math class, we  decided to prove / disprove
>> it.  I don't have my
>> notes from then, but when everything was said and
>> done, *IF* he got his
>> calories the cheapest way possible (I think we
>> figured it at about $2.00
>> per "meal" and three meals per day) it was cheaper
>> to operate just about
>> any automobile owned by any of the students than to
>> ride the bike.
>>
>> He stlll rode it everyday, just gave a different
>> reason when asked.
>>
>> James

>> energy he takes to run his
>> >>

>> >bike

>> >I think he made a big mistake. I made it out at
>> about 1/20th the energy
>> >found in a hamburger per mile on level ground, but
>> I don't still have my
>> >work so I don't know (and don't remember) how I got
>> there. Perhaps someone
>> >would be interested in doing a 'spherical cow'
>> style back of the envalope on
>> >this and announcing their results and the logic
>> they used to get there?
>> >
>> >Or perhaps we've again wandered off topic too far.
>> >
>> >S.
>> >

> ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo!
> Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Congratulations to the Buckeye crew! Wow, an EV ripping along at above 300
mph...incredible!!!! In addition to what is happening at the 1/4 mile drag track,
performance like this only helps to erode the misconception that EVs are slow, dull,
and
boring...not!!!!!

See Ya....John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

Sam Uzi wrote:

> yeah!! ...not bad for a bunch of students!!!
>
> ---begin---
>
> Friends of the Bullet:
> Thursday was another spectacular day on the Salt.
> Perfect temperature, in the 70s, and ideal salt conditions.
> The team had the car ready at the start line for a new U.S. Record attempt
> around 3pm.  The run went flawlessly, and Roger Schroer set a new ceiling
> for electric racers with a third mile clocked at 316.658 mph.  The Bullet
> was "out the back door" at almost 322 mph!  See the attached "speeding
> ticket" for the details. [sam: it was an attachment, so I couldn't send it to the
> EVDL list - sorry]
> The Bullet has now qualified for a new U.S. Record and has a chance to back
> up the record early tomorrow morning, when the return runs are scheduled.
> Stay tuned!  Lots of pictures on http://www.roadtobonneville.com/
>
> Go Bucks! Go Faster!

> Giorgio Rizzoni
> The Ford Motor Company Chair in Electromechanical Systems
> Professor of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
> Director, Center for Automotive Research
> The Ohio State University
> 930 Kinnear Road
> Columbus, OH 43212
>
> ---end---

This will be my first winter with my Voltsrabbit in the US Midwest.
Temperatures here will be below freezing quite a bit. The bunny will be
in an attatched garage at night, but will have no such protection at
the office during the day.

It is my understanding that the cold will shorten my range. Not being
a very handy person, I'm looking for simple modifications to partially
counteract the cold. Would wrapping some insulation around the rear
battery case help, or would this run the risk of overheating the batteries?

If I were to find some temperature-regulated battery-blanket for the
rear battery box, is it worth the effort, give than the front batteries
will still be out in the cold?

Would running a very light load on the drive batteries for a short
period bring the batteries up to temperature?

Thanks,
Bryan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Testing
Hello Bill and All,

Bill Dennis wrote:

> Wow, John, thanks so much. That's even more info than I'd hoped for.  It'll
> be really helpful.

The marine blue top Orbital deep cycle costs more than the XCD version, but lacking
the irritating side terminals (thank you, GM) they are much easier to stack in an EV,
and, it doesn't help that the batteries look super cool in their blue color with red
and
black top plastic accents at the terminal areas.

It was pretty easy for me to get a dummy XCD Orbital from the regional Exide
distributor
here in Portland...weighs all of about one lb. or so.  You might try to get your local
Exide warehouse to get you either an XCD or blue top marine dummy. These have the
terminals
and handles and are a real battery case, they're just empty inside and weigh next to
nothing.
It's lots easier to lift and put here and there, than a 40 lb. battery! If your
distributor can't help you with this, try calling Exide's national sales manager, tell
him you're
getting ready to buy 15-20 batteries, and I bet they'll ship you a dummy battery! Oh
yeah....and
tell him you got all excited over Exide batteries because of White Zombie and Gone
Postal...battery
sponsors love to hear they got their money's worth, both from having their product in
world record holding machines, and, in new battery sales. Your fellow EV drag racers
can
keep pushing the limits with battery manufacturer's help!

See Ya......John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

I thought the EVDL had a system to remove a virus as it came in? Now I'll
have to read this digest of files on the Yahoo archive!

>Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: EarthLink Customer Support Team <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: EarthLink Virus Blocker: Message from "Electric Vehicle
>Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Quarantined
>
>**************************************
>EARTHLINK VIRUS BLOCKER MESSAGE STATUS
>**************************************
>
>MESSAGE QUARANTINED
>
>Virus Detected: Malformed container violation
>
>Message Details:
>  From: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  Subject: EV digest 3852
>  Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:31:48 PDT
>

>EarthLink Virus Blocker has quarantined a message sent to
>you because it contains a virus that cannot be removed or
>disabled.
>
>Quarantined messages are automatically deleted three days
>after they are received.
>
> To learn how to access quarantined messages, visit:
>
>http://www.earthlink.net/myaccount/help/virusblocker/#quarantine
>

>*******************
>Powered by Symantec
>*******************

So people who drive cars don't eat?

Jon "Sheer" Pullen wrote:

A friend of mine, has work out the amount of energy he takes to run his

bike

1 mile.

He makes 1 hamburger per mile.

I think he made a big mistake. I made it out at about 1/20th the energy
found in a hamburger per mile on level ground, but I don't still have my
work so I don't know (and don't remember) how I got there. Perhaps someone
would be interested in doing a 'spherical cow' style back of the envalope on
this and announcing their results and the logic they used to get there?

Or perhaps we've again wandered off topic too far.

S.

One hamburger per mile seems like a lot.   I figure I can get across town
and back on my bicycle -- about 8 miles round trip -- on just an apple,
yogurt, and a hunk of bread.

Not less expensive than an electric scooter perhaps, but definitely less
expensive than gas + insurance + maintenance + depreciation + road rage +
war + environmental damage.  Plus, I spend less money at the medical clinic.

The human body isn't especially energy efficient, but a tuned-up bicycle is
almost certainly the most energy efficient mode of transportation ever
devised (and that includes walking).  That's why I have studded snow tires
for my bicycle and will only commute by electric car on especially icy,
slushy, blizzardy days.

-- Will Bain