  1) Re: Circuit Breakers, Fuses and switches
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Thunder Sky & AGM hybrid pack Re: Thundersky Lithium
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Contactor voltage rating -- What's the deal?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Thunder Sky & AGM hybrid pack Re: Thundersky Lithium
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Circuit Breakers, Fuses and switches
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Looking for compact over-run clutch for regen....
        by mark ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Thunder Sky & AGM hybrid pack Re: Thundersky Lithium
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Ultracap cell balancing - burning batteries
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Thunder Sky & AGM hybrid pack Re: Thundersky Lithium
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Like engineers discussing EVs:
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Looking for compact over-run clutch for regen....
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Deafscooter's  1 St place on Route 66 Rally  9/25
 13) Re: The first EV sports car
 14) DO NOT BURN ULTRACAPs !!!!!!!!
        by mark ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Ultracap cell balancing - burning batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Looking for compact over-run clutch for regen....Maxwell?
        by mark ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DO NOT BURN ULTRACAPs !!!!!!!!
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Like engineers discussing EVs:
        by Steven Tweed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: DO NOT BURN ULTRACAPs !!!!!!!!
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: ProEV's Imp on track! (part 2) (long)
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Deafscooter's  1 St place on Route 66 Rally  9/25
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Thunder Sky & AGM hybrid pack Re: Thundersky Lithium
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EV Generators
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
One source - http://www.bussman.com/products/hispeed/Group1.asp

Victor

Don Cameron wrote:

I am looking for a 400V, 300A circuit breaker for the pack for my AC
system.
As well, I am looking for a fuse and switch to handle 40A 400v switch for
testing purposes.
I have looked at the EV supply stores, but they are limited to lower
voltages.
Any suggestions on where I look to find such parts?
thanks
Don

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
> Resistors work just fine (only a a bit wasteful) because
> equalization happens over many stand by hours, not
> during driving.
>
> During drive and heavy regens the voltages are not equal
> but it is not relevant - faster discharging caps also
> charge faster coming to the same voltage anyway.

Victor, at Honeywell we tried using five supercapacitors on a project as
a replacement for a 12v backup battery to drive a small motor. They
didn't work out for a number of reasons; one of them was equalization
problems.

You're right; simple resistors will equalize fine if you have lots of
time available for charging and discharging. But, more aggressive
equalization is needed if you have to deal with fast charging and
discharging.

The problem is caused because each cell has a different capacitance.
Suppose there is a 20% difference between the cells. You start with them
all fully charged, and apply a high discharge current. The
lowest-capacitance cell will go dead when the rest still have 20%. Then
it goes negative (at high current). This destroys the capacitor.

The reverse situation happens while charging at high rates. The
lowest-capacitance cell reaches its max voltage limit 20% before the
rest, and fails.

Since these were small 10 farad 2.5v cells, we put a 2.4v 1w zener
across each one. On charge, they clamped overvoltage; on discharge, they
acted as a diode to limit reverse voltage to -0.6v. Our max
charge/discharge currents were not high enough to endanger these zeners.

On larger capacitors, I think you would be led into the same situation
we get with batteries. The greater the mismatch between cells, and the
higher the total pack voltage, and the larger the charge/discharge
current, the worse the balancing system requirements will be.

> And, again, why bother? You don't equalize good batteries while
> driving, do you? (boosting a crippled weak one one is different
> issue).

Yes, in fact, we sometimes do. The PowerCheq, Zivan Smoother, Badicheq,
and my own Battery Balancer all balance while driving. Intelligently
done, it maximizes the performance and extends the life of the
batteries.

I could see such a balancing system having merit with a long string of
ultracapacitors, too. The system could figure out the actual capacitance
of each cell from its charge/discharge voltage vs. current, and then add
or remove charge from each so as to prevent any cell from going over- or
under-voltage. In effect, this lets you use smaller (cheaper) capacitors
to get the same energy storage capacity. It also lets you detect weak or
failing capacitors before they do something drastic.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Eric Poulsen wrote:
> So, could you use a 1000A 60VDC contactor with a 120V EV system,
> assuming < 500A battery current?

Yes, to a point. However, cutting the current in half does not double
the safe working voltage. Halving the current gives you more like 20%
more voltage capability. So, a 1000a 60v contactor could be used at 500a
72v.

A much better way to increase the voltage rating is to increase the gap
between contacts. For example, that huge 1000a 60v contactor that was
just posted actually has 3 contact pairs in parallel. If you sawed the
copper plates lengthwise to separate them into 3 independent contact
pairs, and wired these pairs in series, it becomes a 333a 180vdc
contactor.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
> Disconnected, they lose 1V every 3 min...
> Trouble is I have to disconnect the caps because they make
> it impossible to deploy variable charging current algorithm
> required by TS cells - they smooth out all the pulses
> in regulation.
>
> I will probably end up maintaining the stack voltage straight
> from the mains, simply rectified output and 100 mA capable
> secondary will be just fine.

Hmm... Since the capacitors will draw a "fixed" current due to the
resistors... Get yourself N identical tiny little 60 Hz transformers.
The voltage and current ratings mean nothing; you won't be able to find
one so small it can't deliver 3v at 10ma.

Wire a rectifier and 39 ohm load resistor to each secondary. Connect one
to each capacitor. Don't make any connection to the transformer primary.

Here's the trick. String a single long, heavy wire thru each transformer
core. It loops thru each core, like beads on a string. Most cheap
transformers have room to poke a wire thru; if yours don't, then cut off
the primary to make room. What you have is a 1-turn primary for every
transformer. All these primaries are hooked in series, so their primary
currents must be identical. Therefore, their *secondary* currents must
be identical. The fixed load resistors mean that the voltage across
these resistors must be identical. Therefore, all capacitors will be at
the same voltage!

Drive the primary wire with a single, larger transformer's secondary.
The exact current you have to run in this winding will depend on the
turns ratio. The easiest way is probably to include one more small
transformer in the loop, with rectifiers, 39 ohm resistor, and a much
smaller capacitor; measure the voltage across its resistor to estimate
the steady-state voltage across all the rest.

Use LEDs as your rectifier diodes, and you'll be able to see which ones
are charging the most. :-)
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Try Electrical supply houses.  They have General Electric, Westinghouse, Sq
D, CutlerHammer and etc.

For AC you can used a 480 VAC rated Circuit Breaker.  You have a choose of
magnetic interrupting ratings.

These are so expensive, ranging from $200.00 to more than $10,000.00.  I
choose to used Bussman Limitron 400 amp with a 200,000 A interrupting
rating.  Or you can used a cheaper semiconductor fuse which are about $60.00
Each.

For a switch, used a fusible 480 VAC heavy duty knife switch in any ampere
made by GE, etc.  These are standards we used in construction.

> I am looking for a  400V,  300A circuit breaker for the pack for my AC
> system.
>
> As well, I am looking for a fuse and switch to handle  40A 400v switch for
> testing purposes.
>
> I have looked at the EV supply stores, but they are limited to lower
> voltages.
>
> Any suggestions on where I look to find such parts?
>
> thanks
> Don

I have been watching this thread and it looks like
-Rich- you are the man that will be able to answer a question I have regarding DC PM
motors. You have indicated that DC Permanent Magnet motors will always present losses
even if the armature is left open.  Up to now I could not get the answer as to if you
have an open unconnected coil of wire spinning in a magnet induced magnetic field why
this would be so.  You seem to indicate it is because of eddy currents.
Assuming this is true-my question is two fold-first-do the losses increase linearly
with motor rotation (with a motor that is rotated by an external force and with the
armature left coil left open)?
Second- as compared to the braking forces generated by a PM motor during regenerative
braking (something connected across the armature)-at the same RPM and as a
percentage-what is the braking force generated by a PM motor that has its armature
left unconnected.

My project involves using two PERM Motor PMG 132 DC PM motors connected directly the
rear axles of my 2003 Honda Element.  They will be used to recharge a bank of
ultracaps-which will be used to power an electric supercharger and as well, when the
electric supercharger is not in use, to assist the ICE-but that is another topic.

Any one else with answers please chime in.

By the way-I work for Maxwell-feel free to query me on ultracaps.  So far the ultracap
thread has been pretty accurate.  Maxwell has a pretty nice interactive calculator on
their website that you can use to figure out how many ultracaps you would need to
proved a given current between a given voltage window over a given time.

The problem is caused because each cell has a different capacitance.
Suppose there is a 20% difference between the cells. You start with them
all fully charged, and apply a high discharge current. The
lowest-capacitance cell will go dead when the rest still have 20%. Then
it goes negative (at high current). This destroys the capacitor.

The reverse situation happens while charging at high rates. The
lowest-capacitance cell reaches its max voltage limit 20% before the
rest, and fails.

Lee, you are missing the fact that the caps will never be discharged deeper than 50%-60% DOD, they are in parallel with LiIons. If they discharged to 0V, this means LiIon pack is at zero volt which is [normally] never the case. And, they are never at 0% DOD.

Perhaps DOD is not good term here because there is no definition
of "full". Whatever voltage I choose to start out with - is my
"full" I can easily exceed if leave some the room in advance.

If I start off with balanced pack (overnight equalization and
highest voltage on the pack), smaller value capacitors will
discharge deeper but still to no less than half of the voltage.

So when coming back, the process reverses and if they all were
to reach the same total voltage, they will all be at the same
balanced state as before first discharge - *provided* that
imbalances are solely due to capacitance differences, not
leakages. Different leakages will cause unrecoverable imbalance
throughout the day, but the leakage current is milliamps, so
due to that overall imbalance in one day is totally unmeasurable.

I do have few capacitors with different steady voltages on each.
The difference is minor (50 mV or so) but fixed. After I drive
and absolute voltage on the pack is lower, when I charge the caps
in series these two come to the same 50 mV difference without
any effort. If I wouldn't mind too tedious task, perhaps I could
measure individual voltages and trim individual resistors such that
the voltages at equilibrium are identical. I don't feel this is
necessary since in reality the caps always operate only between
about 50% to 90% of their max voltage. So if some swing between
52% and 92% due to initial lower leak and so higher voltage, so what?
The same about lowest ones - 48% to 88% is fine with me as long
as it does not drift apart day after day, and it doesn't.

The price for this robustness is that I paid for a capacitor
but take advantage only of third to a half of it. This is
the compromise I knew about before I started, and all things
considered this was the best overall balance (for me) between
cost, weight and complexity.

Looks like it is not enough charges-discharges in a normal day
driving to cause alarmingly large SOC differences - at least
it appears that way so far in my setup.

'91 ACRX - something different

Hi Victor,

Do you have any more info about the results of this TS Li-Ion test?

We (Jukka and I) already disassembled and burned a
TS LiIon cell for a test, so we know what parts of it are
combustible and how they sustain fire. Once we have a sample of
a cap, we'll do similar test.

'91 ACRX - something different

Hmm... Since the capacitors will draw a "fixed" current due to the
resistors... Get yourself N identical tiny little 60 Hz transformers.
The voltage and current ratings mean nothing; you won't be able to find
one so small it can't deliver 3v at 10ma.

Unless I misunderstand you, capacitors do not draw fixed current. The current depends on individual "R_int" and resistor just being a poor man's fixed (to reasonable degree) voltage source. Each cap shunts its resistor with own R_int which is about 10 times more than 39 Ohm (worst case), so the voltages on the 1% resistors ladder are no longer quite the same, but acceptably close, within 10%. The current through a cap can vary wildly, can be several orders of magnitude different (0mA for "ideal" caps to 6 mA for worst ones, but as long as it represents only 10% of what flows through resistors (which is 60 mA at full charge), I don't care - the error cannot exceed 10%.

Am I missing something?

'91 ACRX - something different

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/retro.wmv

mark ward wrote:

By the way-I work for Maxwell-feel free to query me on ultracaps.
So far the ultracap thread has been pretty accurate.  Maxwell has
a pretty nice interactive calculator on their website that you can
use to figure out how many ultracaps you would need to proved a given
current between a given voltage window over a given time.
Thanks

Mark,

You, then, is the best person to qualify for answers about reliability
of Max ultracaps. Please tell us (leaving marketing ads aside :-)
how do they fail. Does Maxwell has any data on actual cycle life
measured or reported by a customer (not calculated or extrapolated)?
What is MTBF spec? Is it OK to keep a cap at near max voltage
(2.3V) for its life doing only shallow discharges and charging back?

'91 ACRX - something different

He was competing against gas scooters.  He won overall.  Last meet he came
in second overall by a few yards.  Nuf said.  Lawrence Rhodes.......
From: Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, 30 September 2004 7:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We (Jukka and I) already disassembled and burned a TS LiIon cell for a test, so we know what parts of it are combustible and how they sustain fire. Once we have a sample of a cap, we'll do similar test.

I lost all the images of this test (oversized memory card in my
camera got all the files corrupted). It is easy to repeat though,
I just don't have a dead cell I can commit to it.

Basically, nothing inside sustain open fire. IT sort of burns
as long as you keep blazing it with a torch but if you remove
the flame, it self extinguishes. The only  material sustaining
fire is plastic shell - it took some effort to ignite it, but
when the fire started, it half burns/half melts by itself.
Similar to polyethylene bottle.

Insides consist of a foil thin electrodes arranges as a
book pages with paper-like separator soaked with electrolyte.
Foils of different material alternate in the stack and on one
edge all positive foils are bolted together with a screw and
metal block being one of the top terminals, and similarly all
negative foils are arranged. We separated the paper (or whatever
fabric it is) with electrolyte and tried to burn it - it does not
burn.

So the main concern seem to be the shell. Electrolyte will
start decompose at about 5.5V and this may or may not be
run-away condition, I don't know. The temp will rise, and of
course if the battery still being charged, the energy keeps
turning into the heat eventually igniting plastic shell. And,
if you have rows of cells, it's a lot of plastic to burn and
most likely ALL the cells in the same box will catch the fire.

It is hard to attach a number to how difficult it is to
put out fire with water. Fundamentally you must lower the
plastic temperature below fire-sustaining value. Or course,
you must disconnect charger. If you severely overcharge but
manage to keep the battery cool, internal pressure will rise
and the shell eventually will crack, but will not ignite.

This is all I can tell. Download TS safety report from my web
site, they have done burning and deliberate overcharging tests.

According to TS it was very difficult to ignite a cell.
One can manage if is totally negligent (tun the charger for
hours after battery is full and does nothing about voltage
exceeding max by a lot, like 1V or so).

'91 ACRX - something different

Victor asked about Maxwell Ultracaps.  I work for them so keep that in mind. My
comments are to the old square 2500 PC2500 2.5 caps.  These caps "will fail" if you
overvoltage them (above 2.5 volts).  However-otherwise they are very reliable.  You
can discharge to 0 volts-no problem.  We have an ongoing life cycle test that is not
marketing hype that does support a life of over 500,000 cycles tested 0 to 2.5 volts
at 100 amps up and down up and down ad infinitum. The test is done in a fast duty cyle
environement and for this reason we expect these puppies to last for life of
application.  Invariably they some do fail for the normal reasons-typically from a bad
seal.  Gota go home-more tommorrow if you wish.

mark ward wrote:

I repeat DO NOT play around with burning ULTRACAPS. The acetonitrile electrolyte IS!combustible in oxygen an under the right conditions can release a type of CYANIDE gas. The caps are designed to handle normal use-as batteries are-but if you are foolish to misuse them-for an expriment
or other wise-well I guess thats why they call it survival of the smartest.

OK, OK, Mark, point taken. Just say it is a bad idea because so and so.

Please tell about normal fail mode - what happens if you overcharge one - does it burst? Does it just die loosing capacity? Will electrolyte
decompose?

'91 ACRX - something different

That is too much, I almost fell out of my chair!

Thanks!

--- Begin Message --- If you cpacitively couple the cans to an enclosure you can get a arc with burns thru the can and starts the electrolyte on fire. You capacitively couple them when you put them in a box that is conductive. This has happened.

Seth

On Sep 29, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Victor Tikhonov wrote:

mark ward wrote:

I repeat DO NOT play around with burning ULTRACAPS. The acetonitrile electrolyte IS!combustible in oxygen an under the right conditions can release a type of CYANIDE gas. The caps are designed to handle normal use-as batteries are-but if you are foolish to misuse them-for an expriment
or other wise-well I guess thats why they call it survival of the smartest.

OK, OK, Mark, point taken. Just say it is a bad idea because so and so.

Please tell about normal fail mode - what happens if you overcharge one - does it burst? Does it just die loosing capacity? Will electrolyte
decompose?

'91 ACRX - something different

> This is a write up of our adventures back in July. I have been a little slow
> posting but with our next race (at Homestead-Miami Speedway) coming up this
> weekend, I figured I better get it done.

[...]

wow!! an exciting read!   ...is it ok if I spamm this to a private mailing list
that I spew EV related stuff to?

Lawrence Rhodes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> He was competing against gas scooters.  He won overall.

Really? Can you point me to something that corroborates this?

According to the AMMRA site, Craig was the top *electric* finisher (out
of a field of 1), but there is no mention of him winning overall:

"Craig Uyeda was the top electric finisher with his awesome personal
electric creation that was clocked at 57mph! Mike Yartzoff of Hard Parts
USA was the top gas scooter finisher and John Kim was the top micro bike
finisher."

I could be mistaken, but it seems that if the participants are divided
into electric scooters, gas scooters, and micro bikes, then Craig was
competing only against the other electric scooters (of which there were
none).  If he was competing against the other classes, then why were the
participants divided into classes to start with and why is the
performance of the micro bikes not being stated (if he won overall, then
he must have bettered their performance also)?

--- Begin Message --- This voltage clamper. Would it act like a zener diode?If so where could I find an example of such a circuit?
Mike G.

Emil Naepflein wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:35:08 -0700, Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

What I meant was you don't need the same equalization complexity
as for a battery (shunt regulators, or like). Simple resistor
network will do.

This kind of passive equalization is only feasable if you don't have high current chargin like regen on the capacitors. The small current flowing through the bybass resistors cannot provide equalization if you charge with 1000 amps. As I have seen most providers of high capacity ultracapacitors recommend active equalisation, and the circuit is exaclty like the one you use for the TS lithiums - a voltage clamper.

Emil

Power vs. weight on these eCycle BLDC motors seems really good.  My
question is, how does one get their hands of one of these? eCycle's
website lists Infranor as their only distributor. Infranor's website
does not mention these MG series motors at all, only their new
"electronic commutator" motors (which are interesting in their own
right).

Also, are there other manufacturers with comparable products, for
someone looking for a lightweight, efficient generator?

  --c.r.