  1) RE: Battery at Zero volts?
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: BOT: Re: Hydrogen fuel [vs. batteries]
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Reinhard, Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Brake Retraction Springs
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV book
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: variable re-gen
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Brake Retraction Springs Quote
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EVLN(Union Pacific Low-Emission Green Goat Locomotives)
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Battery at Zero volts?
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Charging in San Jose downtown
        by Ed Blackmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: OT: EV NiMh batteries Re: BOT: Re: Hydrogen fuel [vs. batteries]
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Battery at Zero volts?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Brake Retraction Springs Quote
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Bringing the Voltage to zero (or less than 1.75 Volts per cell) causes
some cells to reverse polarity. Reversing polarity causes irreversible
damage by chemical and physical changes in the active material of the
plates i.e. yo cannot uncook a cooked egg.. For instance if the lead
dioxide becomes lead by reversal then it looses its porosity and
morphology such that it cannot function as a health plate and the active
material will fall off and will go bad very fast.

You cannot revive dead batteries by these old wives tales: by , washing,
refilling etc. O sure you will get a little bit of the original capacity
after doing all that giving some the impression that it worked, but the
battery is really dead. and cannot be revived. It is best to bite the
bullet and get a new set.

Sincerely

Nawaz Qureshi

For years we have been arguing this point, that once a battery is flat, it
ain't coming back. Didn't know why, just knew from experience. We tell our
customers that they have to trickle charge batteries that have gone below
10volts (wet/start batteries), to avoid damage. Nobody ever listens though.
Well I shouldn't say that, they do after they burn up a $200.00 alternator
trying to charge their fixed flat battery.
Thanks for the big words (I will use them with care), and maybe now some of
my customers will listen the first time. LOL.

Sam Thurber wrote:

Hate to drag this topic, but
that's not true either. If you tripple the size of
the tank itself you can go 3 times
as far, but the weight does not increase 3 times
since the pumps, hoses, blowers
and all supporting stuff are still the same. Si you
can always get the tank large
enough to outdo NiMH batteries, the largerthe tank
compare to everything
else - the bigger FC advantage weight/energy wise.

Victor

You're assuming the tank weight and size is negligable
compared to the vehicle. That's not true. H2 tanks are

We were comparing batteries as energy storage with a fuel cell as energy storage and compare weights of those *energy storage systems*, not the potential cars they can be installed in, will they fit ot not.

Sam Thurber wrote:
> As far as I know, there were only two companies that made NiMH
> batteries for production EV's.

Quite a few companies have made large nimh cells; Saft, Sanyo, and Varta
come to mind, and I'm sure there are others. Many have been used in
various-sized EVs (everything from bicycles to large trucks). But, most
have been experimental projects. I suspect Ovonic and Panasonic may have
been the largest producers to date, though their production numbers are
still pretty small.

The life of these nimh has been varied; some long, some short. Nimh
producers have been plagued by highly variable results, which required a
lot of testing and sorting to get a "good" pack. They are still learning
what process details are important, what impurities are bad, what kind
of battery management system is required, etc.

Ovonic, for example, hand built all their cells, and depended on
hand-picking and carefully matching them to get a good pack. This is
exceedingly costly. It also means poor repeatability. One pack gets
matched for great capacity, but turns out to have poor life. The next is
matched for low internal resistance, but has low capacity.

Japanese companies (like Panasonic) tend to be very good at doing things
*precisely* the same way every time. They don't have the high peak
performance of hand-picked cells; but their performance can be very
consistent. This matters a lot if you expect to mass produce them
someday.

> Since they are the only game in town, they are hardly a red herring
> or even just one data point. They are the whole story. I'm not sure
> where you get the idea that it's unproven generalities either.

What I meant is that just because one type of Panasonic nimh lasted a
long time does not mean that nimh cells *in general* last a long time.
It only means that this particular model cell has been optimized for
long life.

Actually, most nimh cells are *short* lived. The average nimh doesn't
last as long as the average nicad. And, really long-life nicads exist;
we have examples that are many decades old and still work.

Likewise, most lead-acid batteries have short life because they are
optimized to be cheap, not long-lived. But there are counter examples.
Oldham tubular plate flooded lead-acids easily last for decades. They
are widely used in industrial EVs. There was a Swedish EVer, I think,
who bought a set of *used* ones, and had put something like 160,000
miles on them.

And, there is nickel-iron (also called the Edison cell). There are
examples of these that are nearly 100 years old, and still working.

> Pansonic's EV batteries did not contain any toxic metals in their
> "witches brew" (exotic is a little more difficult to define).
> I said they were almost edible as a joke, but it is almost true.

According to the MSDS they contain nickel, iron, cobalt, manganese,
aluminum, zinc, undisclosed lanthanides, potassium hydroxide, water, and
minor amounts of other materials. It would be very bad to eat even one
AA nimh cell!
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Behalf Of >Rich Rudman
>Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:44 PM
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: other side of the coin - Re: Hydrogen fuel

>There are folks on this list that know....

>How easy is it to do a H2 fill up???
As easy as CNG

>How easy do the nozzeles mate?
See above
>how easy is it really? And how long does it take once mated?
About two seconds depending on whose dispenser you are using.

>What's the Stop to Go time frame for a fillup?
For about 4 kilos about 3.5 minutes.
If the tank would develop a leak, the empty time is about 2.5 seconds.

Yes, I'm trying to decrease drag.  The springs were listed in a previous
email as a way to reduce the amount of energy consumed by the car and
therefore increase range.  The other day when I had the front of my car
jacked up I turned one of the front wheels and noticed that the pads
were dragging on the rotor, therefore the question.  I thought that the
person who suggested the springs might be able to describe how to hook
them up.  Or, maybe someone else can.

Thanks,

Patrick Maston
1981 Jet Electrica

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/26/04 5:37:57 PM >>>
Are you trying decrease drag? The pads, pistons and such are retracted
by
the rubber seals on the ends of the cylinders and pistons. You could
try
using a warped rotor, one that will "push" the pistons back into the
cylinders, but that presents a whole new problem. Disc brakes are
designed
for the pad to be at the disc surface at all times, dragging. The total

volume of all the wheel cylinders in the system is huge, compared to
the
volume of the master cylinder. Therefore, the pistons in the caliper
barely
move, while the master cylinder moves a great deal, relatively
speaking. If
there is a too large an air gap between the disc and rotor, the master

cylinder may go "to the floor" without applying enough pressure to the
rotor
to stop. Anyone here that has experience in these matters, feel free to

contradict, corroborate or just chime in.
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
From: "Victor Tikhonov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just as I thought...
We are on the same side of the argument...
We just have to Joust about it....
Madman....

> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

 Actually, I take it back. The resting voltage isn't 0, but 0.05 volts.
I thought about it and reset the meter low enough to pick it up. The
battery is in an old truck I bought a month ago and worked without
complaint two weeks ago. It looks to be no more than a half dozen years
old at most, hasn't frozen up or sprung a leak, or suffered any other
noticeable trauma. It just up and died.

David Thompson

Lawrence,

I believe the 4th and San Fernando garage is free to EV's. You can also charge at my place: 424 North Third Street. I have an MCS-100 mounted at the carriage porch part way down my driveway. It has an Avcon plug as well as 120V outlet. I shut it down from 2pm to midnight to avoid charging at peak rates.

Ed
On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 06:47  AM, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

Is the 4th & San Fernando Garage free if EV? Lawrence Rhodes...........
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Geller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>