  1) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Reducing amps, voltage sag,  cold drag.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Impressive NiMH conversion on the Web
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by Ben Apollonio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Fwd: EV Album Feedback
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: other options,  Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: fuel gauge and clutchless shifting
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Vehicle Ground Strap?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Over-indulgence in potentially EV fuses....
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: we have Chevrolet S-10EV's for sale
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
John this post is getting very long.
    You seam to be micro engineering a lot of EVs specs.
Most of these guys do NOT have a solid data files, and are close to seat of
the pants. Yea the average is what they say.. but the peaks are a LOT
higher.
Otmar's issues are he likes to drive around in 3rd gear all the time.
Until one of us gives you a actual log of the entire run and the recharge
curve. You don't really know what the batteries actually were subjected to.

Otmar's 22 miles with 20 Orbitals is right on what I would expect. With some
heavier accelerations.

The Numbers that I am currently quoting for Orbitals, are being loaded with
a 30 amp load. A bit lighter than a 2000 amp Zilla.
So yea I am getting name plate power in a Lab setting. I tested these Orbs
when I got them, and have the Capacity in Kwhr written on thier cases.They
were tested at 1500 watts then backed off to 750 watts. The Load bank I am
using right now is loading them to about 370 watts each. So I should get
more than thier nameplate Amphours. But... I am not for equalization
reasons, and possible a weak battery. I got 3.50 Kwhr from them last night,
a slight drop from the last run Sunday. They were colder, but better
equalized.

Oh yea forget the 14 second run without a 2000 amp Zilla and rear wheel
drive... it's not gonna happen.
16s on a good day, more like 18s.

I keep telling you Yts and Orbital XCD34s are almost the exact same battery.
Both in Amphours and Puekerts, The Orbs will make 1800 amps without falling
below 6 volts for 10 seconds at 80 Deg F.
Check out the down loadable files.
    The Yts intercell links open at 1200 amps and 10 seconds. We won't be
going there.
The data you are looking for, the sub 1 amphour capacity differences, are
going to be very hard to see, and I don't have factory fresh Yts to test.
The new Orbs even have a '02 date code on them.
The differences will be masked in how differently you drive and how well
your EV is set up.

I can get you sharp data, but your application won't noitice the
differences.
Also note the difference in %100 DOD, and %80 DOD, and long life cycle DOD.
Bill's 8.5Kwhr from 16 Yts is rather suspect.  I have never gotten  500 watt
hours from any Yt case 24. EVER!, even at 200 watt loads. Yts Scatter around
280 watt hours, Min is 260 max is 340.
To get 530 wHrs from a Yt would take 120 Deg F and a %100 DOD taken to less
than 10 volts(1.75 Vcell). And of course a very light load. The Yts WHERE
rated at 55 amp hours at a 20 amp load, That's 660 watt hours, doing
trolling motor duty, not EV 500 amp quick start loads.
I expect that this 8.5Kwhr was a high point that this pack made with lots of
effort by the driver to coax all the range and all the power from these
batteries.
Expect 300 whrs from a Orbital, and 280 from a Yt in a 60 Deg world and 750
watts of loading. And you need to test about 6 pairs before this becomes
evident.
I expect to get 6Kwhr from 20 Orbitals with a 5 kw load.
This is in line with Getting 10+ Kwhr from Gone Postal's twin pack of 20
Orbs.(40 total) I did this on the road. No meters, just 25 miles and a 10Kw+
recharge number on my charger test equipment.

One of the things here is to keep personal bests, and Add copy runs clear,
from a normal runs and recharge without heroic efforts.
20 Orbs or Yts will get you about 20 miles....In a good 2500 lbs EV with
average loads and speeds.
Your results may Vary.....ALOT!

Ummm the Monster PFC 150 Lives....It's operational. Out to 17Kw.
Anyone one who needs a charge, in the North Kistap area of Washington
State... feel free to book a run on it.
Rod??? Get GP back together Will ya??

> I'm glad to hear about your experiences building that fast
> charger. I'm currently torn between buying the PFC50, but
> not really having many places where I could use its full
> potential, or saving a significant amount of cash and using
> a PFC20 instead. And here you are, looking at building a
> monster PFC150 for offboard charging, just around the
> corner.
>
> Thanks for all your help.

David ,
I have a better way,
    Pop the load bank on Goldie's big charge port, drain her down, Log the
data.
    Move the load bank to the Test Orbital pack, Load to the same point,
record.

Note that Goldie has a 8 year old mix and match set of factory prototype
Yts. And the Orbs are low cycles, 2 years of shelf life, barley broken in.
So... I expect that the pack should show about a 2:1 capacity ability...

Oh yea and Goldie and the test pack are both parked about 30 ft apart in the
same temp shop. This is good for close comparisions.

This sounds like a really good test for today.

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:50:26 -0800

Name = Phil
Email_Address =
City = Melbourne
State = FL
Country = USA
Comment = Does anyone know of the people that ran the Florida Solar Car Corp? If so are they still here in Florida? Any info helpfull.

       Hi Ben and All,
--- Ben Apollonio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2004, at 3:47 PM, jerry dycus wrote:
>
> >        Hi John and All,
> >          Why not use starting ni-cads like the
> BB6600?
    Opps!!!  BB600

> >          They will put out the power, almost no
> > peurkert effect, no batt regs needed, costs are
> the
> > same and the ni-cads would last 20+ yrs.
>
> Same power you say?  These do look like they'd cost
> little more than a
> pack of YT's, which I admit is quite tempting.

    Not much. But you don't need regs, pricey charger
either. And you don't need to replace it 3-5 times
over 20 yrs!!

> However, I thought
> NiCds were far from as capable as AGM's
> current-wise.  Or are you

   Notice I was specific in starting type and BB600,
an aircraft starting battery. With many other ni-cads
like SAFT's, you do need to keep mostly under 250 amps
in EV use.
   Others are for UPS work and not good for EV's.

> talking about going to a 336V pack to reduce current
> draw without
> reducing power output and capacity?  Still tempting,
> except I'm pretty
> sure my T-Rex 1000 would bite the dust if I exceeded
> the 192V I'm
> currently planning.  Also, without higher voltage
> (than 336) or
> paralleling packs, I don't think I could actually
> squeeze out much more
> range (11kWh for 336V of those NiCd's, 10kWh for the
> YT's)...

    But you can more deeply discharge and otherwise
abuse ni-cads where it's curtains for AGM's if you do
that.
    Add to that the 25% weight reduction, stiffer
voltage and you have better acceleration, 25-35%
better range at the same voltage at EV rates.
    Double that if it gets cold where you live in the
winter.
    A parallel pack at 192vdc would diffinently outdo
an Orbital pack at 336vdc at about the same weight
with about 15kwhr of useable power.
                  jerry dycus

> -Ben

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Can those things be mounted sideways? How safe are they to be in an unvented enclosure (say the trunk)

They look tempting, main problem is fitting 250 of them in my car.

Chris

=====