  1) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers That Refuse to Die!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: acceleration
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by Ben Apollonio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Motors in series?  Torque vs. power?
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Brush help
        by Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Manufacturing an input shaft
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Brush help - using drilling guides
        by Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Simple First Conversion Query
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Cedric's bike - inspiring!
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Hawkers and T105's working together
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: The Amazing Little Hawkers That Refuse to Die!
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Low cost performance,  The Amazing Little Hawkers That Refuse to Die!
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Air conditioning - dumb questions
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: Zap
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Air conditioning - dumb questions
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Another EV Joins the Wayland Fleet
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Air conditioning - dumb questions
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Air conditioning - dumb questions
David Dymaxion wrote:
> If you can truly stay near the power peak (like with a variable
> transmission, sepex, or a good AC setup) you get more area under
> the curve, and it is amazing how much better acceleration can
> result.

Exactly my point!

> Without going into heavy mathematics, let's just scale
> from some well known examples:
>
> Sundancer type vehicle: assume 2400 lbs and 54 kw.
> EV1: ~3000 lbs, 0-60 mph in ~8 seconds, 103 kw.
>
> Scale to EV1:
> 8 seconds * (2400 lbs / 3000 lbs) * (103 kw / 54 kw) = 12.1 seconds
>
> Scale to Tzero:
> 4 seconds * (2500 lbs / 2400 lbs) * (150 kw / 40 kw) = 11.6 seconds
>
> I'd wager putting a good AC system and appropriate gearing into a
> Sundancer would put it close to 12 seconds 0 to 60, even limited to
> 54 kw.

This is an elegant way to come up with a quick estimate, David. Both the
EV1 and tZero have "constant horsepower" drive system. So, by extension,
if you arrange your EV's drive system to deliver roughly constant HP
over a fairly wide range of speed, you *could* get good accelleration
with cheap old flooded batteries.

> Now in John's defense, Lee did say 54 kw ~ 54 hp

That is of course just a crude approximation. The true number at 100%
efficiency is 1 hp = 0.746 kw. Assuming 1kw = 1hp is like saying your
drive train is about 75% efficient.

> If you grunge out the "area under the curve" math for acceleration,
> it is a powerful argument for sepex or AC.

Yes indeed! Or, for a PM motor and variable-speed transmission (or any
other scheme that lets you get reasonable HP and efficiency over a wide
range of speeds).

If I were to try a Sundancer-type EV today, I think I'd try a 90%
efficient Etek/Lynch/Lemco type motor, with a variable-displacement
hydraulic pump/motor setup (which Ernie Parker tells me can be 90%
efficient).
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

damon henry wrote:
> or  ... you can just build the beast(ie) and report back to the
> list real data, which I believe is where Waylands's whole argument
> comes from. He is throwing out the theoretical numbers and screaming
> I've already built it (or something very similar), and here is what
> happens...

There is value to both the theoretical and the practical approach. The
theoretical approach lets you explore possibilities much faster and
cheaper. But, theory is never all that accurate. Theory just tells you
if it's *worth* trying to build it.

Actually building it is far more expensive and time consuming; but it
gives you solid, real-world data as to what really happens. But, it can
introduce so many compromises and problems that it obscures the idea. A
great idea that gets badly implemented is likely to be discarded as a
bad idea.

The Red Beastie was a "lead sled" with the usual series DC motor and PWM
controller. But, John didn't try some form of constant-horsepower drive
to see if this would be better.

In the case of McKee's Sundancer, he *did* try the usual golf cart
batteries and series DC motor setup, and it did indeed accellerate
slowly. But he went on to try many other drive setups. The ones that
came closest to a constant-horsepower setup worked much better.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

On Jan 1, 2005, at 5:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to do a first conversion the simplest possible way and wonder what that would be. I've read through "Convert It" and have been doing a lot of site surfing.

A couple sites of interest are by Bohan Design (http://members.aol.com/BohanDesign/qig/default.htm) and Wilderness EV (http://www.e-volks.com/) who both offer a motor / adapter plate assembly that bolts right onto the VW Bug/Beetle tranny/flywheel without any need to remove the tranny. Both say you can remove the internal combustion engine and bolt on their assemblies in less than an hour. That sounds great but has anyone had experience with these? With Electro-Automotive's kits/parts, do you have to remove the tranny?

I believe it depends largely on your donor car. In the case of my 914, the motor and tranny drop together. In other cars, it may be possible to replace the engine without moving the tranny -- the design of the adapter plate certainly doesn't require it to be dropped. I find that the Electro-Automotive parts simplify my conversion considerably. All I have to do is bolt the motor to the tranny, then bolt the motor mount on the other end & jack the whole assembly into the car.

I think "less than an hour" is overly optimistic. Once you had the ICE out and the kit and all the hardware handy, bolting the adapter & flywheel to the motor and attaching that to the tranny would be pretty quick, but you'd really have to know what you're doing and have all the right tools handy to do the whole thing that quickly. Still if the donor car's in good shape and you have a kit, the process should be pretty quick.

I'm not doing the full electro-auto kit, since I'm using Optimas instead of floodies and a T-Rex 1000 instead of a Cursit, so I can't tell you how the rest of it goes, but from what I've seen, their parts do really seem to be bolt-on-and-go, provided the donor car's all in good shape. I definitely recommend using some pre-made components to make your life easy.

I would advise against the Bohan kit, which is rather outdated -- aircraft starter/generator motors and contactor controllers are a thing of the past, and pale in comparison to a nice Advanced DC or WarP motor with a PWM controller. The e-volks motor also sounds underpowered & low-voltage for modern EV applications, though at least they use a PWM controller (granted, Alltraxes are designed for golf carts, not street EV's)

"The motor runs at 7500 RPM at 36VDC and draws 500+ amps at startup and 200-250 amps at 35 MPH"
200-250A continuous is a lot of stress on a typical flooded battery. You could have parallel strings, but that adds other issues.

So definitely at least consider going with an electro-auto or similar adapter and a 6.7" or 8" ADC or WarP motor.

hope this helps!
-Ben

This could get very interesting especially with two motors.....
Mike G.