  1) RE: Rebulding brake shoes, Adhesive?
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: article: Jay Leno to own America's First Lithium iCeL (TM) Powered
"R-Car"
        by Fortunat Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: What I want for an EV
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Wire Gauge questions
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Wire Gauge questions
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Rebulding brake shoes, Adhesive?
 13) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Wire Gauge questions
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: adapters? / direct drive
        by canev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Wire Gauge Questions
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) downshift for regen?
        by "Jim Seibert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: NEVRA, comments on new race organization
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: adapters? / direct drive
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Wire Gauge questions
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: article: Jay Leno to own America's First Lithium iCeL (TM)
        Powered "R-Car"
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) Re: adapters?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 26) What it Takes to Run 9s (in a street bodied car)
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Wire Gauge Questions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Typo: Re: Dave Cloud vs "White Zombie"
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 30) Re: adapters?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Hydraulic hybrids (was Compressed air for regen)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: What it Takes to Run 9s (in a street bodied car)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 33) Re: Wire Gauge questions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 34) Re: Rebulding brake shoes, Adhesive?
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I used to work at a brake and clutch rebuilders as few ice ages ago.
The adhesive they use is heat cured and used for everything from gokarts
to the big rigs. It shouldn't cost you a bunch to get a rebuilder to do
the job. It's not difficult or complex by any means but you have to have
the oven adhesive and do the right prep work. We did lots of odd ball
or one off's and they are no harder than something like a Chevy or Ford.
If you can find the adhesive some are cold cure, but the industrial ones
we used were all oven cured at about 350-450 for 20ish minutes. Depended
on the size of shoe as you had to get the entire bonded area up to temp.
I think some of the new adhesives could cold cure over a few days which
would be the way to go as the heat cured ones produced just wonderful
smells. Araldite 71? is about the only one I can think of but there are
dozens.

Prep work is easy, all we did was sandblast the bare show, then grind the
bonding area with 80 grit, clean with non-residue solvent. Brush on the
adhesive onto shoe and friction material, clamp it in place with 4-6 clamps
(or the hot shoe sort of squirts out the side) toss it into the preheated
oven, hold your nose, look at your watch and there you go.

If you can't find someone to bond them on for you. You can rivet them on
using brass rivets. On some real heavy duty shoes we did bonding and rivets.
Rivets are not used as much as bonding is more cost effective to do. You can
set the rivets with a vice, a hammer and a steel rod. You can buy the rivets
at most hardware places ie Master McCarr's (sic?). They are a solid
countersunk
or flat head brass rivet with a semi hollow stem.

All in all I'd really try and get someone to do this.

Dave

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

<< hmmm, the crossfire isn't a huge car but I don't think
25 kW will get it to 100 mph (unless maybe it is
dropped from a plane).

Also, I assume when they say "168 Volts, 56 amps" they
mean 56 amp-hours ?
if they mean amps, then rather than 25 kW, they are
talking about 9.4 kW.
if they mean amp-hours, then they have 9408 watt-hours
on board. To get 100 miles range they are talkign
about 94 watt-hrs per mile (@100 mph). That would be
very impressive. that sounds more like a 1 person
solar endurance car than a crossfire conversion.

color me skeptical. also, doesn't whistler investments
set off alarm bells for some ?

~fortunat >>

Between Whistler and that "forward-looking statement" at the end, it's just more
PR BS. Maybe they'll make one, but I also doubt they'll get those specs.

> Lee, I'm a newbie and need to learn more on this.
> I'm going to do an EV from a small truck and wanted to get better
> performance from the motor so I was planning to dump the automatic
> transmission and go straight to the drive shaft.  How much more motor would
> I need?  I was considering an Advanced 9" and 192V pack (or 240v) with a
> Zilla 1K controller.  Would this provide me with the power/distance
> necessary to go the 45 mile round trip to work and back?  The donor is a '91
> Dodge Dakota. (formerly with a 5.2L V8)

Here's how you can figure out how much motor you need.

First, estimate how much the converted vehicle will weigh, complete with
batteries, driver, and whatever payload you expect to carry. You could
just assume it will be the vehicle's rated GVWR if you like.

Second, decide how fast you want to accellerate. 0-30 mph in X seconds;
0-60 mph in Y seconds, etc. From the weight and the accelleration
needed, you can calculate the horsepower needed to do this.

With a transmission, all you need to consider is the horsepower --
torque doesn't matter because you can shift to keep the motor somewhere
near its peak horsepower rating. The max horsepower is easy; it is your
battery pack voltage times your controller's maximum current divided by
1000. For example, 120 volts x 500 amps = 60000 watts = 60 kw. When you
take motor efficiency into account, that's the same as 60 horsepower.
See if 60 hp is enough to meet your accelleration goals.

Without a transmission (i.e. a fixed gear ratio), then you need the
torque vs. rpm curve for the motor at the the battery voltage and
controller current you will use. This isn't too hard to get -- curves
are available for any motor you are likely to use.

At low speeds, it is the torque that limits your accelleration. The
controller will be in current limit, so you get constant torque (not
constant horsepower) at low speeds. You need a low enough gear ratio so
this torque is enough to accellerate at your desired rate. This torque
is determining your 0-30 mph time.

What usually happens is that with a "standard" differential ratio of 3:1
or so, and a "standard" 500 amp controller, the torque is too low and
your 0-30 mph time is too slow; like 0-30 mph in 20 seconds. So, you can
change to a lower gear ratio; a 6:1 gear ratio cuts this to 0-30 mph in
10 seconds, for example. But now you find that with a 6:1 ratio, the
motor hits redline at too low a speed -- you can only go 50 mph max, for
example.

This means you need a bigger motor and controller. By doubling the
controller current to 1000 amps, you double the motor torque. This lets
you accellerate from (for example) 0-30 mph in 10 seconds with a 3:1
differential. And now your top speed at motor redline is 100 mph. But,
you've doubled the size (and cost) of your motor and controller.

Ideally, you "play with the numbers" to get an acceptable compromise
between a fast enough accelleration at low speeds, a high enough top
speed, without requiring too expensive a motor and controller, and with
a 'reasonable' gear ratio. The optimum for a DC series motor is usually
somewhere around a 5:1 gear ratio, with a motor and controller that are
40-50% bigger than it would have been for a setup with a transmission.
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten

<<...And you need about 4000 pounds of Kokam li-polys to produce a megawatt
of peak power burst.

David Thompson >>

Kokam's highest power density comes from a 40Ah cell, 2.3lbs, nominal 3.7V, 400A
peak. Parallel 7 cells for a 2800A peak, then 100 in series for a 370V nominal
pack (420V end-of-charge), total weight 1610 lbs - good candidate for a pair of
Z1K's or some fancy AC setup.

James D Thompson wrote:

> >The "Maniac Mazda" weighed about 2300 pounds with about that horsepower
> >when it was running 11 flat ETs.
>
>   11s? It should have been running 9s with 600whp, unless you spun it the
> whole way down.

I disagree.

My buddy Gene at the track has a lightened Nova with 550 dynoed horses, and the
car weighs
about the same as Maniac Mazda. With 50 less hp that the 600 hp being
discussed, he runs
11.51 @ 119 mph, nowhere close to the 9s. A guy here in town also, has a 300ZX
with a 350
V8 and a monster turbo setup. It has been extensively lightened to about 2500
lbs. and is
claimed to be dynoed at 850 hp....he runs high 9s. A fellow fork lift wrench at
work has
an alchohol V8 Chevy with a pinch over 1000 hp...he runs mid 9s. Gutted, super
light
weight Honda Civics at 1800 lbs. or so, need insanely powered 4 bangers @ 700
hp to run
low 10s, and over 750 hp to dip into the 9s.

See Ya.....John Wayland

James D Thompson wrote:

> >If money were no object (Loottery, rich Uncle died, Government grant) what
> >kind of EV would you build? What batteries, controller, motor(s), and why?

I'd build Rick Woodbury's second-generation Tango, which he calls the
"Foxtrot". This is to be a commuter version of the Tango, lower
performance but 1/2 to 1/4 the price. The key is to build the first one;
thereafter, it's much easier to build more!
--

Jeff Shanab wrote:
> Finer wire means more copper and less air space.

No; the packing density is exactly the same.

Each wire is a circle, and the area it takes is a hexagon. For very low
numbers of strands (like 3 or 4), and when you assume they must fit in a
perfect circle, you do get more wasted space. But once you have a dozen
or more strands, the packing density is essentially constant.
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten
Then write of great deeds worth the reading
Or do the great deeds worth repeating
        -- Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

" good candidate for a pair of Z1K's or some fancy AC setup."

Should be Z2K to utilize full current capability.

> Here's how you can figure out how much motor you need.

> With a transmission, all you need to consider is the horsepower --
> torque doesn't matter because you can shift to keep the motor somewhere
> near its peak horsepower rating. The max horsepower is easy; it is your
> battery pack voltage times your controller's maximum current divided by
> 1000. For example, 120 volts x 500 amps = 60000 watts = 60 kw. When you
> take motor efficiency into account, that's the same as 60 horsepower.
> See if 60 hp is enough to meet your accelleration goals.

300 volts x 2000 amps = 600,000 watts / 1000(thousand what?) = 600 kw

600 hp...  Nice!  Very nice...

9" or 13" motor though?  How is that decided? (money notwithstanding..)

Fortunat Mueller wrote:
> the EPA is working on hydrualic hybrids for heavy
> duty, urban cycle, hybrid applications. they claim
> impressive fuel economy improvements in the city.

Yes indeed!. I've been giving this idea a lot of thought lately, too.

Hydraulic pumps and motors have efficiencies similar to electric motors;
75-85% for the common stuff, 90% or more for the best. They can also be
very small and powerful -- wheel motors are no problem at all for
hydraulics. Variable-displacement pumps are also common; they perform
the function of a controller or continuously variable transmission.

It looks like it would be a lot easier to do an EV conversion by mount a
hydraulic motor in each wheel, run hoses to a central pump, and drive
the pump with an electric motor. The motor could be a fixed-speed PM
motor running with a very simple controller, since speed control can be
accomplished with the hydraulics. This also makes regen easy.

If you add an accumulator, you have the equivalent of a supercapacitor
to shield the batteries from high power surges during braking and
accelleration.

Finally, if you keep the ICE and add a hydraulic pump to it, you can
build your own hybrid! (Or is it a "tribrid" when you have 3 separate
sources of power?)
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten
Then write of great deeds worth the reading
Or do the great deeds worth repeating
        -- Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

> > >The "Maniac Mazda" weighed about 2300 pounds with about that horsepower
> > >when it was running 11 flat ETs.
> >
> >   11s? It should have been running 9s with 600whp, unless you spun it the
> > whole way down.

> My buddy Gene at the track has a lightened Nova with 550 dynoed horses, and >
> the car weighs about the same as Maniac Mazda. With 50 less hp that the 600 >
> hp being discussed, he runs 11.51 @ 119 mph, nowhere close to the 9s. A guy >
> here in town also, has a 300ZX with a 350 V8 and a monster turbo setup. It
> has > been extensively lightened to about 2500 lbs. and is claimed to be
> dynoed at 850 > hp....he runs high 9s. A fellow fork lift wrench at work has
> an alchohol V8 Chevy > with a pinch over 1000 hp...he runs mid 9s. Gutted,
> super light weight Honda
> Civics at 1800 lbs. or so, need insanely powered 4 bangers @ 700 hp to run
> low > 10s, and over 750 hp to dip into the 9s.

What I don't get is the various online 1/4 mile calculators say 3000
lbs with 600 hp at the tires runs 9.9, or only 10.5 if that 600 at the
flywheel.

http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

http://www.mustangworks.com/analyzer.html

two of many..

http://www.google.com/search?q=1/4+mile+calculator

Time spent shifting, or automatics slipping, aerodynamics coming into play?

Then that mystery about mid 90's Supra's with 650/750/850 hp all
running 12's...  Ever seen one at the track?  Bogs hard off the line
just like a motorcycle..

Check out this video of a ~1000hp / ~1000tq Viper momentarily bog off the line:

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/1948Yellow_And_Black_TT_9_569_Run.wmv
That motor really bogs down.  You can hear it clearly.

Dyno graph:

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13701/size/big/cat/all/page/1

Rush wrote:
> Is the orange for both neg and pos?

Yes. They weren't thinking this thing through very well.
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten
Then write of great deeds worth the reading
Or do the great deeds worth repeating
        -- Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Hall Brake and Clutch in Phx. They would probably reline them for you cheap
enough or sell you the materials and make recommendations on adhesive. David
Chapman.