  1) RE: Real eff hybrids,  - now Prius commentary
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 9Electric Degreasing Advice Sought
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Conversion Van
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Conversion Van
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Conversion Van
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) 4x4 locking hubs
        by "Stu or Jan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Regen with charged batteries, comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Looking for data logger for monitoring my Optima YT
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Honda Insight question
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Honda Insight question
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Lenco/Tweco Cable Connectors
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Motor cooling
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Looking for data logger for monitoring my Optima YT
        by "Sharon Hoopes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Lenco/Tweco Cable Connectors
        by "Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Curtis Controllers in Pallet Jacks
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Real world numbers, was Re: CalCars Teach Lead...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Inductive Throttle Position Sensor??
        by "August Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) More Datsun Truck Fun
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Looking for data logger for monitoring my Optima YT
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Inductive Throttle Position Sensor??
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Regen with charged batteries, comments
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Metro engine weight, Re: Honda Insight question
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Conversion Van
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 1965 Datsun Truck - Future Electric Vehicle
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 1965 Datsun Truck - Future Electric Vehicle
        by "IMAP | OE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Sepex Motor controller
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
       Hi Philip and All,

--- Philip Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >From: jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> >--- David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > A car's gas mileage is determined far more by
> its
> > > weight and aero
> > > than motor size. If you look at the same car
> with
> >
> >    That is a big part of it but it's also x's the
> >engine eff which a 120 hp engine like the Prius'
> >running at 15hp to do 75mph is not heavily loaded
> by
> >any stretch of the imagination.
>
> Hi, Jerry -
>
> I found many sites which list the specifications for
> the 2005 Prius, and ALL
> of them give the ICE max power as 76 HP .   It is
> clearly not 120 HP, as you

   Cool, thanks for looking that up.
   Maybe I was remembering the motor plus the
gen/emotor/starter side power together that's in
addition to the other e motor.

>   state in support of your argument that the Prius
> ICE is lightly loaded at
> highway speeds.   The earlier generation Prius ICE
> is listed as slightly
> less power : 70 HP.
>

> Also, can you tell us where your claim of 15HP ( at
> the engine) to drive
> this car at 75 MPH came from?

   Expolated from other known power needs of other
cars/EV's. Maybe someone can give a more exact figure,
calculation using one of the power required progarms
on the web?
   Doesn't it tell you on the dash in some way? It can
be calculated from mpg readings when the e motor is
not engaged.
   The Prius uses many low drag features like a very
low aero CD plus low rolling resistance tires, ect, so
it's not likely to use much more than 15hp.
   But it is close and even at 76hp vs 15hp or even
25hp to go 75 or so mph, it is still not heavily
loaded and alway wasting energy, fuel on running it's
parasitic engine drag.
    Just how much power do you think it takes to run
the water/fuel/oil pumps, cam, valves, piston/bearing
friction, ect?
    Now compare that to an AC motor's internal drag?
Which is more?
    There is much saving here by using a much smaller
ICE engine, bigger E motor and a much larger batt
pack, plug in charger without any speed/range/power
loss.
    So if someone could calculate just what it's power
needs in kw and it's shown mpg at 75mph are from the
dash or trip mileage, we can calculate it's motor eff.
    This would be good for all of us to know.
             Thanks,
                    Jerry Dycus

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:51:28 -0500
From: "Brown, Jay--
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:09:38 -0700
From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Curtis Controllers in Pallet Jacks

Hello to All,

STEVE CLUNN wrote:

> John Wayland wrote:
>
> > Curtis makes a lot of fine controllers and they're in use in everything
> from
> > forklifts to pallet jacks, to on road EVs, and most all deliver silent
> > reliable operation. The Curtis model 1221C and 1231C controllers don't
> > come close to matching other more advanced controllers.
>
> John what happens when a Curtis blows in one of these forklifts or jacks ,
> do they go full on and take the rider for a ride , funny what we get use to
> , haven't had one of those rides for a while :-)

The Curtis controllers in my work world of forklifts, pallet jacks, etc., are
very nice, very reliable controllers. When they do fail, most often they just
drop out either a line contactor or a forward - reverse contactor set....no
drama, no runaway pallet jack. With exception to some of the older Curtis
controllers used in Crown PE3500 model rider pallets that make a not too
offensive SCR - like moan or growl, most all of the newer Curtis controllers
are silent and feature filled. Their newest pallet jack controller is used in
the Crown PE4000 series rider type, the model that replaced the venerable
PE3500 series. This controller is dead silent and is a sep ex type controller.
With the plug-in handset, you can talk to the controller, set all sorts of
stuff, and see the results on a very legible display...it's sort of Zilla like
in regards to programming options, but certainly not in terms of power :-)  The
controller is state of the art, does either plugging or regen, and is beautiful
in build quality.

I've got mostly good things to say about the Curtis controllers in general,
it's just those miserable 1221C and 1231C street EV controllers they make that
get me going....geesh, what an awful design! Clearly, engineers that never
drove an EV or had one of their own worked on this 'design'. Who in their right
mind would
make an on-road EV motor controller that generates such a loud squeal through
the motor, and think it would be acceptable?

See Ya.....John Wayland
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:10:12 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: EV Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Real world numbers, was Re: CalCars Teach Lead...

<<<
A car's gas mileage is determined far more by its weight and aero
than motor size.

I always remember the 10hp Road&Track measured on the first Chevy Sprint at
50mph (about 15hp at 60mph). Not the lowest Cd*ft^2, but made up for it in low
weight; then again, other than EV'rs wanting to maximize range, how many US
drivers would *choose* a Sprint for regular freeway use if they could afford
something bigger (motorcycle riders?)! At least they have a back seat (I've
seen 2 adults back there, but they must have been anorexics!)

P.S.- Not to change the thread, but being a past Ranger EV leasee, I've sent in
*my* postcard!
From: "August Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Inductive Throttle Position Sensor??
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:22:19 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C58F68.074E4D30

Hello Everyone,
=20
I'm finally re-building the Chevy Sprint I bought from Otmar. I'm =
putting in
a new charger, batteries, vacuum pump so I have real brakes, e-meter, =
etc. I
need to replace the throttle sensor, the Brusa controller uses either a =
5K
or a 10K Pot. Not a 0-5K rheostat like the PB-6 but an Honest-to-God
3-terminal potentiometer that goes full end-to-end. Does anyone know of =
an
Inductive Sensor that will work with this Brusa AMC-300 controller?=20
=20
Thanks,
=20
August Johnson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:24:45 -0700
From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: More Datsun Truck Fun

Hello to All,

With all the current buzz about Datsun minitrucks, one of my favorite
vehicles, and knowing that many of my visiting EV friends enjoy Portland's
status as 'the' place for microbrews, the following snippet from a
microbrewery piece in today's Oregonian newspaper might be entertaining:

On Widmer Brewing Company...

Homebrewers Kurt and Rob Widmer began their brewery in 1984 with money
cobbled together from family and relatives and a 1970 Datsun pickup they
pursuaded their dad to sell them for $700. "Our first business plan was
predicated on having 10 accounts", says Kurt, whose brewery today has 800
Portland accounts and sells beer in 44 states.....

Just though htis little Datsun story was timely!

See Ya.....John Wayland
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:38:00 -0500
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Looking for data logger for monitoring my Optima YT

Some thoughts:
Be a lot better if you lose the BASIC Stamp.  Those things are just
ridiculous reimplementations of PICs with a load of marketing behind them.
You can replace the external meter with something going through the uC,
then there's more information available to the code. Reading that shunt
is not too hard.
Can't a lot of those relays can be replaced with mosfets?

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:34:00 -0500
From: Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Inductive Throttle Position Sensor??

August Johnson wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm finally re-building the Chevy Sprint I bought from Otmar. I'm putting in
> a new charger, batteries, vacuum pump so I have real brakes, e-meter, etc. I
> need to replace the throttle sensor, the Brusa controller uses either a 5K
> or a 10K Pot. Not a 0-5K rheostat like the PB-6 but an Honest-to-God
> 3-terminal potentiometer that goes full end-to-end. Does anyone know of an
> Inductive Sensor that will work with this Brusa AMC-300 controller?

The PB-6 is a referred to as a "potbox" becuase it contains a
potentiometer.  However only two terminals of the potentiometer are
carried outside the case, since most EV controllers only use two wires.
Open up a PB-6 and you'll find there is a third terminal unused.  Solder
to that and run the wire outside the case... You now have a three
terminal 5k pot.  Nothing inductive involved.

Mark
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:30:28 -0700
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Regen with charged batteries, comments

Bob Rice wrote:
> It's amazing how sophisticated the E braking and drive system was,
> but the handling? Those old ladies that drove them must have
> had arms like King Kong or the Governater, to handle the tiller
> steering! Every pothole threatened to snatch your arms out as the
> tiller crank goes directly to the drag link, NO gearing!

The Baker I drove had tiller steering. I expected it to be heavy, but it
really wasn't bad at all. There was no serious lurch from potholes.

I suspect there are a combination of reasons. First, the whole car
weighs maybe 800 lbs, and most of that is on the rear wheels (400 lbs of
batteries, all over the rear axle). Second, the skinny high-pressure
tires are easy to turn. Third, the steering geometry has zero bump
steer, like a bicycle. The tiller arm is about 3 feet long. Finally,
there seems to be a steering damper somewhere -- fast movement of the
steering tiller were resisted, but slow movements were easy.

But these were low-speed cars, designed when "fast" was 25 mph. I'd
worry a lot about manual tiller steering in a heavier vehicle at higher
speeds. Although, motorcycles do it. :-)
--
Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed
has! -- Margaret Mead
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:15:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Metro engine weight, Re: Honda Insight question
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

      Hi John and All,

--- John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello to All,
>
> D B wrote:
>

> > >This claims 124 lbs:
> > >
> > >http://www.obd-onboarddiagnostics.com/future.htm
> >
> > Aloha: That weight actually seems a little heavy,
> considering all of the
> > effort made to lighten the engine (magnesium pan,
> etc). I understand that
> >
> > that Suzuki 1 liter 3 cyl engine used in the two
> door Geo Metro weighs
> > less than that.

    As they say, that depends!!!
    If you take everything off the Metro block and put
on a lightweight exhaust and intake, then yes it is
around 100lbs. This is how it is used in aircraft.
    But adding a heavier exhaust, alt, starter,
flywheel, ect, then it weighs more.
    Adding the turbo to bring it's 56hp? up to 73? hp
then weighs even more.
    As I would use it with the lightweight
intake/exhaust with the gen as the starter, DC/DC for
12vdc then 100 lbs is correct.
    So as they say, YMMV.

> At time of the Insight's introduction Honda billed
> their 3 banger as the
> world's lightest 3 cylinder 1 liter engine. I
> believe you are wrong about
> the Geo Metro's engine weighing less, as it's about
> 50 lbs. heavier. I
> think a non-turbo engine that puts out 73 hp (by
> itself minus the electric
> motor's help) and runs squeaky clean that weighs a
> scant 124 lbs., is
> pretty impressive. By comparison, the stock Datsun
> 1200 cc engine weighed
> 247 lbs. and made 69 hp, but that was gross rated
> not net, so it was really
> about 55 hp or so.....larger displacement, 55 hp @
> 247 lbs. vs smaller
> displacement, 73 hp @ 124 lbs., and, the Insight
> engine is super enviro
> friendly

    And the other John says 3cyl's are hard to make
clean!! The Insight's engine proves otherwise as it's
about the cleanest engine built.
                Thanks,
                   Jerry Dycus

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:10:58 -0700
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Beginning to lean toward converting the old van to electric anyway
> just for the fun, well sort-of.

It all depends on your expectations. Vans have a lot of room and can
carry a lot of weight, so there is plenty of capacity for batteries. You
could build an EV conversion that uses all the load-carrying capacity
for batteries. It could be a relatively cheap, easy conversion. Range
would be adequate at low speeds where wind resistance wasn't a factor.
Accelleration would be modest (especially with flooded batteries), but
vans aren't speed demons anyway.

Or, you could convert it to a hybrid. Vans generally have poor fuel
economy, but there are enough exceptions to prove they can be a lot
better. The old VW vans come to mind. I got 22 mpg in my 1961 Corvair
van, and 30 mpg in my 1994 Plymouth Voyager with 4-cyl engine and manual
transmission.

Toyota offers a hybrid minivan in other parts of the world; the Estima.
(In the US, all we get is the huge Sienna gas-hog.) The Estima has the
Prius hybrid drive train, combining a small gasoline engine with two
electric motors and a small battery pack. The Estima also has an
electric motor on the rear axle, so it is all-wheel drive. The result is
a minivan that gets twice the gas mileage of other minivans.

I've thought of doing something like this with my VW Eurovan. VW has a
wide range of engines for it, from tiny diesels to the huge V6. (The US
gets only the big V6, of course). There is an all-wheel drive version
(again, not imported to the US). Possibly I could add the rear wheel
drive components from Canada or Europe, and drive them with an electric
motor. With a small battery pack and regen controller, I'd have a hybrid
that could be driven short distances at low speeds on pure electric, and
still cruise long distances at highway speeds on gasoline.
From: "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1965 Datsun Truck - Future Electric Vehicle
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:19:40 -0700
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

On Jul 22, 2005, at 7:52 PM, Joe Strubhar wrote:

> I would definitely NOT use an 8" motor - this truck is too heavy for
> an 8",
> IMO.
> I have a 1978 Datsun Kingcab, and use a 9" ADC motor with a Kodiak (no
> longer available?) controller and a Russco charger for 20 Trojan
> T-105's.

Judging from the Pictures I have found you have a larger Datsun than
the little '65. The 320 series weighs about the same as my Rabbit
Pickup (mine listed at 1998lbs, the Datsun was quoted online at
2085lbs.) Mine did just fine with a Prestolite MTC-4002 motor, similar
in continuous power handling to the ADC 8 inch. Mine had to pack around
1300lbs of batteries.

Paul "neon" G.
From: "IMAP | OE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:26:49 -0400

I think the gentleman who started this thread should
sell (give?) that pristine pickup to me and buy this
one instead.  Given that a special bed would be needed
for the battery rack(s) and that the ICE is not needed,
may be a useful approach.

http://tinyurl.com/7b6t7

Jay

From: "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sepex Motor controller
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:28:17 -0700
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

On Jul 22, 2005, at 7:41 PM, M.G. wrote:

> The problem is I need a controller, the motor is a separately excited
> motor or sometimes called a shunt motor. I would like to use this
> motor with my nicads ( Thanks Hump ).
> Could any body point me in the right direction to a zilla like
> performance controller.

You could just control the field with a small controller. With the
field on switch power the armature with a contactor. This will produce
an electric vehicle with an "idle" (will need a clutch or automatic.)
Current is limited by your right foot, regen happens when you release
the throttle. It would take a little learning because really sudden
releases of the throttle at high speeds without pushing the clutch in
could produce dramatic regen.

Points to consider include the motor idle speed with max field (lowest
rpm), a system to NEVER allow the armature to be powered when the field
is off, and a system to light the brake lights when regen exceeds the
equivalent of mild engine braking. Oh, and keeping your right foot
under control :-)

Paul "neon" G.