  1) EVLN(New Hybrid Vehicle Cost Calculator Tool)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVLN(AU police with nEV obstructionist views)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Solectria S-10 info requested
        by Jacob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Charging in the heat
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EVLN(Behind the wheel of a solar race EV)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EVLN(Behind the wheel of a solar race EV)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EV-200 Resistor for 144v system
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EVLN(Behind the wheel of a solar race EV)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Elec charge stations
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EVLN(Behind the wheel of a solar race EV)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) solectria controller
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Avcon wall unit.
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) 80v AC 3 phase EV Traction Motors and low voltage AC controllers
        by "Peter Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Curtis 1221R, Re: What to do with excess regen power
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Avcon wall unit
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: EV-200 Resistor for 144v system
 17) Re: EV-200 Resistor for 144v system
        by "Philip Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: 80v AC 3 phase EV Traction Motors and low voltage AC controllers
        by "Lawrie, Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Cushman escapades, field weakening
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) factory S-10 charging woes
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Avcon wall unit.
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Prius-toric: Team achieves 110 mpg in Toyota Prius
        by Stefano Landi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) 80V AC induction motors
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Efficiency, ADC 5.5" (was: RE: John's GT-6)
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Silver Bullet Electric Z Car Makes 7 Runs at the Drag Track!
EVLN(New Hybrid Vehicle Cost Calculator Tool)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.ems.org/nws/2005/08/03/fleet_managers_e
Source: Center for a New American Dream - www.newdream.org
Posted by: Center for a New American Dream - archive
Posted on: Aug 3, 2005 @ 1:27 pm
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Sarah Roberts
August 3, 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
301-891-3683/ cell 202-255-8332

Fleet Managers Evaluate Hybrid Vehicles with a New Cost
Calculator Tool

Takoma Park, MD., A new software tool that compares the costs and
emissions of hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) to conventional
vehicles is now available for government and business fleet
managers interested in reducing high fuel costs and protecting
air quality.

The Hybrid Electric Vehicle Fleet Cost and Benefits Calculator
Tool, was developed by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s)
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), the Center for a New
American Dream, and the American Council for an Energy Efficient
Economy (ACEEE) with funding from DOE’s Office of Energy
Efficiency and Renewable Energy’s Clean Cities activity. It is
available for free at
www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/hev/cost_calc.html or
www.newdream.org/hev.

The cost calculator tool confirms that in most cases the higher
purchase price of a hybrid is offset by fuel savings and better
resale values, yet the greatest advantage of HEVs remains the
lessening of global warming gases and a reduction of our nation’s
dependency on oil,” said Betsy Taylor, President, Center for a
New American Dream.

The use of hybrid vehicles in the United States has grown
exponentially in the last few years. New hybrid vehicle
registrations reached nearly 84,000 in 2004, while sales of
hybrids in the first five months of 2005 reached 73,000. Public
and private fleets are contributing to this surge in popularity.
More than 90 city, state and county governments, and some private
fleets, use light duty hybrids according to data collected by the
Center for a New American Dream.

While the retail price of HEVs can exceed that of their
conventional counterparts by several thousand dollars, they can
save money when the total cost of vehicle ownership is
considered. Federal and state tax incentives can help offset the
financial impact for taxable entities, and higher resale values,
strong warranties and lower fuel costs can reduce cost of
ownership. Most importantly, HEVs are easier on the environment
because they produce fewer emissions and get better fuel economy
than conventional vehicles.

Fleets have a large influence on how much oil our nation uses and
HEVs are an important option for fleets to consider,” said Stan
Bull, NREL’s Director of Science and Technology.

The Hybrid Electric Vehicle Fleet Cost and Benefits Calculator
Tool, with fleet cost estimates developed in consultation with
PHH Arval, helps fleet purchasers assess potential savings from
purchasing HEVs by taking into account purchase price, fuel
costs, repair and maintenance costs, resale value, and applicable
tax incentives. For example, the tool indicates that at the
current average fuel price of $2.20 per gallon, hybrids are often
the most cost-effective vehicle choice. If fuel prices rise to
$2.50 to $3.00 gallon advanced hybrid vehicles will become even
more financially beneficial. Other factors, such as the
percentage of city driving and the total number of miles driven
per year can also increase the cost-effectiveness of hybrid
vehicles.

Cities and counties across the country are grappling with the
challenges of poor air quality and growing emissions of global
warming gases. The cost calculator tool estimates emissions of
carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, particulate
matter, and hydrocarbons. A comparison of a compact hybrid sport
utility vehicle to a conventional compact sport utility vehicle
shows a savings of over $1,400 and 37,000 pounds of carbon
dioxide over a 7-year period.

Take the cost calculator tool for a test drive at
www.newdream.org/hev.
###
The Center for a New American Dream helps Americans consume
responsibly to protect the environment, enhance quality of life,
and promote social justice. We work with individuals,
institutions, communities, and businesses to conserve natural
resources, counter the commercialization of our culture and
promote positive changes in the way goods are produced and
consumed. www.newdream.org

DOE’s Clean Cities activity encourages the implementation of
alternative fuels and advanced vehicle technologies that can help
reduce our nation’s dependence on imported petroleum. The program
works through nearly 90 public/private coalitions to promote
alternative fuels and vehicles, fuel blends, fuel economy, hybrid
vehicles, and idle reduction. For more information go to:
www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities.

NREL is the U.S. Department of Energy's premier laboratory for
renewable energy research and development and a leading
laboratory for energy efficiency R&D. NREL is operated for DOE by
Midwest Research Institute and Battelle.

The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy is an
independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing energy
efficiency as a means of promoting both economic prosperity and
environmental protection. For information about ACEEE and its
programs, publications, and conferences, contact ACEEE, 1001
Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 801, Washington, D.C. 20036-5525
or visit http://aceee.org

Environmental Media Services
1320 18th Street NW 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 463-6670
Website comments: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Copyright © 2003 Environmental Media Services
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

EVLN(AU police with nEV obstructionist views)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,16146703%255E14787,00.html
Car row gets electric By TONY RAGGATT 04aug05

POLICE and transport officials have been accused of standing in
the way of the use of an electric car on Magnetic Island.

However officer-in-charge of the Magnetic Island police station
Sergeant Kerry Kraut said the car was a golf buggy and not an
electric car compliant with road transport laws.

"I can only issue a permit within the ambit of the law," Sergeant
Kraut said.

Unit developer Russell McCart was outraged yesterday the
company's use of its United States-made GEM (Global Electric
Motorcars, a Daimler Chrysler company) car was being restricted
to its development site at Bright Point.

The cars are permitted for use in urban areas in the United
States but in Australia are classed alongside golf buggies and
its use is restricted.

Sergeant Kraut said he had obtained a permit allowing its use
between Bright Point and the adjoining Magnetic Harbour ferry
terminal - a distance of about 100m.

"What we have been able to do is provide for limited usage in
accordance with the conditional registration that has been
provided," he said.

Mr McCart said the company had been negotiating for registration
for about 12 months and there had been a strong reluctance from
police to assist.

"The police who have been behind this have been obstructionist in
my view," Mr McCart said.

"I think it's ignorance, a lack of vision and at the very least
an absolute lack of assistance."

Mr McCart's company Meridien is developing the 124-apartment 1
Bright Point project and acquired the car to show potential
buyers and residents around the site and the island.

The left-hand drive electric car can travel at speeds of 40km/h
and is equipped with headlights, indicators and seat belts.

It was thought its environmental advantages made it an
appropriate vehicle for a World Heritage-listed island dominated
by national and marine parks and eco-tourism.

When coupled with solar-powered generators, it produces zero
greenhouse gas emissions.

Mr McCart said he had planned to offer the cars to unit residents
and, with the co-operation of Townsville City Council, install
solar-powered generators at Horseshoe and Picnic Bay.

Sergeant Kraut would not provide details on the reasons the car
was 'non-compliant' - they had been explained to the company's
representatives, he said.

Townsville City Council, a party to the issuing of its
conditional registration, had agreed to its use in Nelly Bay.

A spokesman said yesterday it was happy to allow its use although
it was awaiting a statement from the police service on the
conditions of its use.

"Why it has taken so long (to issue a permit) is something only
the police service and Queensland Transport can answer," he
said.

Mr McCart said any suggestion the car was unsafe was ridiculous
given the predominance on the island of Mini Mokes, vehicles he
considered less safe.

A spokesman for Queensland Transport could not be contacted for
comment.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

I just bought a '96 Solectria Chevy S-10 on Ebay. It will arrive in a month.
The seller never drove it and thus can't answer all my questions. Azure
(Solectria) isn¹t responding to my requests for info. If you know about any
of these, please fill me in:

* Amp rating (and plug config.) of onboard Solectria 208/240V Charger (I
want to start wiring my garage)
* specifics on how to release and lift bed to inspect batteries
* recommendations about using onboard charger vs. Hughes Magnecharger (port
installed, charger to arrive as well)
* if you have a Solectria S-10...any other tidbits of advice for charging or
driving.
* Thanks in advance.....J. Harris

 > your sensors 10C cooler than the core of the hottest battery? IF not,
Quite possibly. I mount them on the interconnection straps between the batteries, so they are measuring the pole temps.

At this point I'm just letting them cool down. They charge ok at night. This does however explain part of what happened to my pack last year. I remember coming out one morning after a long charge to find that the MC was off and the E-meter was 10 amps down. I thought the meter was confused and reset it. I then did a 30 mile drive and found that I was pretty much out of power.

What happened was the batteries were warm, the MC kicked off early, and I took the car on a 30ah run when it was 10ah down. 40ah depth, reversed a battery.

Lesson learned: Trust your instruments.

bruce parmenter wrote:

> Hitting the pedal didn't rev an engine since the car is an
> electric vehicle, but it did set off a clicking sound from the
> car's electric motor, which provides extra horsepower from the
> car's batteries.

> It was hard to think beyond that immediate reality, but once the
> drive ended and the top half of the Beam Machine was lifted off,
> it hit me: The sun's rays had been driving a vehicle powered
> completely by solar energy.

"it hit me: The sun's rays had been driving a vehicle powered
completely by solar energy."

That's misleading and a misnomer.  Just above that it says:  "a
clicking sound from the car's electric motor, which provides extra
horsepower from the car's batteries."

Does the car have a battery charger?  The motor is powered by the
batteries and the solar panels recharge the batteries.

In order for it to be a true solar car, it would have to not have any
batteries in it and be powered strictly from those solar panels.

It's an electric car with a solar powered battery charger.

Did any of the first "solar cars" not have batteries?

Ryan Stotts wrote:
bruce parmenter wrote:

It was hard to think beyond that immediate reality, but once the
drive ended and the top half of the Beam Machine was lifted off,
it hit me: The sun's rays had been driving a vehicle powered
completely by solar energy.

In order for it to be a true solar car, it would have to not have any
batteries in it and be powered strictly from those solar panels.

Re-read above statement - it said "a vehicle powered completely
by solar energy". It doesn't say "solar car".

If energy comes only from the sun light, it qualifies whether
it is used directly to run the motor or stored in the
batteries (capacitors, etc) first. Still no other *source*
of energy.

It's an electric car with a solar powered battery charger.

That's correct. So?

Did any of the first "solar cars" not have batteries?

It's not about having or not having [buffer] batteries.
It's about where the energy to put in them comes from.
Instead of batteries it could have been any energy
storage devices - caps, flywheels, pressure tanks, whatever.
It's still "a vehicle powered completely by solar energy".

'91 ACRX - something different

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
> I think intent is to allow to pre-charge whatever is after
> contacts thus reducing subsequent voltage difference and
> current spike when contactor closes.

Ok; he's talking about a precharge resistor for the CONTROLLER.

Choose this resistor based on the recommendations of the CONTROLLER
manufacturer. For instance, Curtis recommends 250 ohms for their 1231
series controller. I think Otmar has a precharge module for his Zilla
controllers.

Me; I'm using a 130v 75-watt light bulb. :-)

--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

> it said "a vehicle powered completely
> by solar energy". It doesn't say "solar car".

I still think it's misleading.  Didn't the Solar cars in the 1980's
not have any batteries at all?  I was under the impression then that
the motor was being powered by the solar cells with no on board
batteries.

Your probably talking about the EV1 club web site's list. I think, and I could
be wrong, if you pop the door on the magnechargers open it should say something
like "connect to vehicle" on the display if it's got power to it. I know the
APS office in down town glendale still has their Magne charger and avcon's
still there, but no 120 outlet which sucks because it's within GEM range for me
and they have some cool events down there from time to time. Then out near ASU
there's a restaurant that has two Magnecharger spots with 120 outlets too. I
was really hoping they'd have a 220 outlet too because then I might be able to
drive my conversion there from Glendale when I go after next semester. Guess I
need to look in to getting an inductive charging port if I want that to work.

Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.1opossum.com/evs/chargers/
>
> Here's probably a better list of chargers for Arizona. A lot of them are
> probably magnechargers if they're still there.
>

> Later,
> Rick <---- in Glendale btw

Thanks Rick, I've gotten another list from a CA site (don't rem the url) and
some of it jives and some doesn't. I've visited a few to see if they are still
working. Even the ones with just inductive chargers usually have a 120 plug
next to it. I plan to get a list of the working ones, when it is final I'll
post it to the list and the Phoenix site.

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

Later,
Ricky
02 Red Insight #559
92 Saturn SC2 EV conversion in progress

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail for Mobile

Ryan Stotts wrote:

I still think it's misleading.  Didn't the Solar cars in the 1980's
not have any batteries at all?

Well may be the case (rule), I don't know.

I was under the impression then that
the motor was being powered by the solar cells with no on board
batteries.

This will make them [purely] solar vehicles.
With the batteries on board it would make them vehicles (not solar)
powered completely by solar energy (which is pre-stored in batteries).

I agree, this nomenclature can be confusing.

Just accept that "solar car" and "car powered by solar energy"
are not the same things. I believe this is what they mean
(if they are accurate and pay attention to what exactly they are
saying).

'91 ACRX - something different

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:03:10 -0700
From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Silver Bullet Electric Z Car Makes 7 Runs at the Drag Track!

Hello to All,

A quick update before heading off to work this morning....Finally, we
made it to the 1/4 mile track this year! Last night Jeffrey Bywater, Tme
Brehm, and your truly took the Silver bullet for shake down 1/8 mile
runs to PIR. There were more cars than I expected for a Wednesday night
drag race. As has become the norm, the pack of 14 Exide Orbitals (168V)
performed flawlessly, dishing out power run after run, with current
draws most likely in excess of 2000 amps...not one battery problem. Same
is true for the three Prestolite motors and the three Raptor
controllers. It was really great to have my work service truck as a base
of operations, thank you, Northwest Handling Systems!

Jeffrey made a total of 7 passes. He had problems 'finding' 3rd gear,
and so his 1/8 mile times were around the 10.0 - 10.2 second region, but
once he figured out the linkage thing and started to nail his shifts,
things got better. The Silver Bullet's best time was a 9.8 second run.
Even after dropping the rear tire pressure down to 15 psi, the three
motors were still too much and traction was a problem....we need bigger
tires! Most electrics do better launching in 2nd gear, but we shaved .4
seconds off the 60 ft. time by using 1st gear, going from a lazy 2.409
to a much quicker 2.098, a huge difference.

I'll try to give a more thorough post tonight after work, but let it
suffice to say the crowd loved this car! On guy argued with me that it
wasn't an electric car he just watched lay rubber and waste a V8 off the
line....he swore it was a turbo Z Car, as it had the emblems to prove
it, and, he could hear the turbo whistle (the supercharger belt). No
amount of arguing with him would change his mind, and when I invited him
to come over to our pit area to see the car return from the run, he
simply said, "Bullsh.....ain't no damn electric car that can accelerate
like that"...then he walked away with his  friends, still going on on
how I was pulling his leg and all :-)

See Ya...John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland