  1) Re: Home Garage Lift (For EV Conversion)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Buses talk...
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EV pulbicity    Re: Montreal Gazette article today, Sept. 6
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Shunt motor regen setup
        by "Paul Compton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) IOTA
        by Cwarman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Long range RE: Frustr. of AC vs. DC; batt. tech. for newbies;
philosophizing
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: alternator regen -- Re: Shunt motor regen setup
  8) NEDRA race location change?
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Hooking up idiot lights to the 12v system.
 10) Re: Critical Mass
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: NEDRA race location change?
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Critical Mass
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Vas: Re: Steves Mower, was, 2000 mile range EV?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Closed tailgate of the truck
        by "arthur marquardt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Zortched
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Critical Mass
        by Matthew Trevaskis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Long range RE: Frustr. of AC vs. DC; batt. tech. for newbies;
philosophizing
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Critical Mass
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Critical Mass
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) 924 EV
        by "Ray Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Siemens EV Motors
To avoid these problems I just dug up a grease pit in my garage.

Tim Clevenger wrote:

That looks cool.  Problem with a conversion, of course, is that the
weight distribution changes with each modification you make.  You'd
have to make extra sure that you adjusted for when the ICE is
removed, the electric motor reinstalled, the batteries installed,
etc.

I would probably look into getting some tall transmission jacks
to put under each axle after it was lifted into place as extra
protection.

Tim

'91 ACRX - something different

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:16:17PM +0000, damon henry wrote:
> Why not... easy I don't believe the material that forms the bus will  be
> useable in 228 years.

The real question is, if the material that makes up the buss fails, will that
error be detected? :)

If yes, then it has lived up to its claim.

> You show me one piece of electronics that is still
> functional from 228 years ago and then I'll believe :-)
> That's what makes
> this claim ridiculous, not that the theory is wrong or even tough to
> understand, just that the implemtation trumps the theory.
> Either these numbers were made up by someone in marketing, or someone has
> been engineering in a vacuum again.  Besides why say 1 error in 1000
> years, why not just say error free over the lifetime.

Well, the length of time is just a probability. The error could occur in the
beginning of the products life, this is highly unlikely. The next question you
would ask if I told you "highly unlikely" might be "How unlikely?". By
giving you this number, you don't need to ask.

> Surely if you can claim only
> one undetected error over an unrealistic timeframe it is no more of a
> stretch to claim error free.

This is just telling you how error free. I will admit that "no errors before
the heat death of the universe" does have a little bit of marketing ring
to it thought. :)

              Hi Doug and All,
                   Way to go Doug !!
                   There is starting to be a lot of EV related articles
especially on the plug in Prius project that has did full page spreads and
smaller articles and many mentions other the last month, Probably 30 times I
noticed on TV or the paper.
                   The Local TV talk show Kathy Fountain want me to be a show
as soon as I have a Freedom EV running.
                    So all you out there call in your local talk shows, write
your local papers and tell them about the joys of EV's.  .Mention the jobs,
national, economic security aspects of it too as that gets the attention of
many who wouldn't consider them before.
                    Now is the time to counter act the misinformation the auto
companies have been spreading.
                                           Thanks,
                                                 Jerry Dycus

Doug Hartley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Alain,

A man walking his dog flagged me down on Lakeshore road Thursday morning while
I was on my way to work in the Skoda hatchback. It turns out he was David Yates
who writes for the Gazette. He wanted to do a story related to my electric car
and the high price of gasoline (which was about to reach a high of $1.47/liter
that day). He came to the house Friday night, just after the Gazette
photographer, Gordon, who arrived in a Smart car. The article appeared in this
morning's Gazette and it prompted a call from CJAD radio for a live interview
over the phone.

The article was headlined "Motorist gets a charge out of ignoring gas pumps"
The well composed picture included my 8 year-old daughter Melissa on her
electric 3-wheel scooter as well as me beside the open hood of the hatchback,
with the nose of the Prius and the Skoda pickup behind. The article
(unfortunately not online on the Gazette site) starts: "Douglas Hartley is the
envy of a lot of motorists these days. His daily commute to work - a round trip
of 25 kilometers - costs him a paltry 50 cents, thanks to the electric car he
bought three years ago." The article finished with many of the links I had
provided: www.evworld.com, video documentary: The End of Suburbia available
from www.globaloutlook.ca, www.after-oil.co.uk, www.vehiclevert.org, and the
EVDL.

Overall, I think it was some good exposure for EVs at a time when many people
are receptive.

Best Regards,

Doug

If you mean the Curtis 121R regen controller, I *think* it uses the PWM
to drive just the field, and feeds the generated armature voltage thru a
diode to charge the batteries. Otmar might know for sure. Otmar?

The Curtis 1221R and the Zapi H2 both work the same way. Instead of the motor being in parallel with the free-wheel diode, it's reconfigured to be accross the Mosfet. Now you can operate the circuit as a boost converter; Drive the throttle input to 100% and control via the current limit. The trouble is that if you just short out a series motor, you collapse both armature and stator fields and the motor won't generate. The trick is to keep the field polarity the same so that the residual magnetism in the frame will self-excite the motor as a generator. Many moons ago when Otmar modified a standard curtis to regen, he used a 'field tickler' circuit instead.

Paul Compton
www.sciroccoev.co.uk
www.morini-mania.co.uk

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- So has anyone mentioned that these IOTA DLS-55AMP Power Converters would not work well in a EV and if there would be any special considerations on using one of these as opposed to a Zivan NG1 or any other type of DC DC converter that everyone else is using.
The link to ebay to one of these auctions is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4573062189&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Thanks
Cwarman
              Hi Don and All,

Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Bob,

I think your lumping AC/DC along with battery technology together is
incorrect.

* People are using Lithium batteries with lower voltage DC systems.

* People are using Lead Acid with high voltage AC systems.

I think your complaint is simple. It has little to do with AC or DC, high
or low voltage. Your complaint is the standard: current battery technology
sucks and does not allow us the range we get with our ICE vehicles. Either
that, or better range is just too darn expensive.

What can we do about it? Fork out the cash, or drive less. Invent a new
battery? Maybe ride the bike more? I am not sure.

          There is a better, cheaper way by building an Aero, lightweight built
as EV vehicles that can get 100 mile range with fewer lead batts, thus giving
better performance for much less money.

          Other ways are convert very light, aero cars like the Karman Ghia or
kit cars.

                                           HTH's,

                                            Jerry Dycus

Best I will do is change what I can and work with what I can't.

Don

P.S. I may be a bit odd here, but I **like** liquid cooling. I love it in my
siemens controller and motor, and I am one of the people who asked Rich for
a liquid cooled charger. It allows closer placement in closed areas, as
well as more compact design (e.g. Rich's liquid cooled charger puts out 25%
more power). Much more flexibility. Yes it requires plumbing, radiator and a
pump, but this is the compromise I chose for this flexibility.

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

On 2005-09-08, Mark Hanson wrote:

> Then in the UK where they pay $7 per gallon or Europe at $6 per gallon why
> isn't EVeryone buying EV's?

Umm ... functional public transport?

Also, I've found while "doing the numbers" on my plans for an EV bike,
motors and controllers and such are much cheaper in the States than in
Australia, probably just because of the size of the market.  For the
difference in price, I could fly to the States and fly back with a
very heavy suitcase ...

-----sharks
--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://zoic.org/sharkey/>
AUSTIN, TEXAS: Sabrina, 6, was abducted by her non-custodial mother on

Mind you that most european cars get much better mileage than the
comparable (according US consumers: same usage) cars.
It is not that the US cars are so much worse in consumption, but
nobody in Europe would consider commuting long distance in a truck
while that is pretty normal here.

Long ago the european cars abandoned spring leaf for more comfortable
suspension types for one thing, also the tax laws do not make the
dressed-up ranchers equipment so appealing to city boys.

In addition to the mileage the distances are often smaller as I can see
from my own odometer: was 15k KM and is now close to 15k miles per year.

All in all, you do not pay much more money per trip in Europe due to
these two effects.

As an example:
I used to have an Opel Vectra (German made GM brand) which was from
1990 and had a 1.8i engine. The average mileage was 15 km/l which
works out to be almost 36 MPG. This for an old, non-hybrid, regular
gasoline, 5-seater, 120 MPH car.
Now try to find a Ford or GMC or other american car that seats 5 and
has this average fuel usage.
Interestingly, this car was the favorite transport for Dutch farmers,
how's that for a comparison?

To get back on topic:
In the past there have been several attempts of companies selling EV,
personally I have been tempted to buy a new converted VW, but having
just one car in the family (due to the tax and insurance cost is
more the norm there than in the US) and the limited range made it
impossible to make my regular trips to see the family with that EV.
Commuting was no problem - I always used the bicycle.

My impression is that there is no large-scale effort in the EU to
promote EVs. If that were the case, things could happen very fast
over there due to the higher density and smaller distances, so it
makes a good long range EV a good proposition, especially when
coupled to fast-charge points at rest stops (Mc Donalds?).

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3673     eFAX: +31-84-717-9972
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-501-641-8576
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

On 9/8/05, Mark Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Then in the UK where they pay $7 per gallon or Europe at $6 per gallon why
> isn't EVeryone buying EV's?  I don't understand is electricity also to the
> moon?
> Mark

Shrug.  1 GBP per litre is still too cheap, apparently!
EVs are selling well in London where they're exempt from the (5 GBP
per day?) congestion charge.

--

EVan
http://www.tuer.co.uk/evs2

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a 911 or even a VW type 1 transaxle
to the 924 chassis. The only real challenge would be the inner CV joints and
with a little luck those may either fit perfectly or require minor fiddling.
With the above mentioned transaxles the adaptor bits are readily available.
The electric motor would be mounted in the back of the car eliminating the
weight of the forward bellhousing, driveshaft, etc.

If the VW tranny would work it would save a lot of money vs the 911 trans
and would probably have a more usable 4th gear.

Don Cameron wrote:

The gentlemen at Electro Mavin said Metric Mind has a shaft
converter for these motors (news to me, but I am not sure what Victor is up
to). He does not have controllers, nor know what controllers will work with
the motors.

Don,

That gent deserves treatment by 2x4 :-)

I never had and don't plan to have adapters for twisted
gear shafts of Ford's 5133WS20. The end of the shaft
is a helical gear, similar to the one used in differentials.

I do have adapters for straight splines as 5133WS18 motors have,
and it is featured on the site for nearly 2 years now.

I have no idea how one would make an adapter to a gear (not spline).

'91 ACRX - something different