  1) Re: Siemens EV Motors
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Buses talk...
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) AGM battery mgmt system
        by "Gabriel Alarcon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Buses talk...
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Closed tailgate of the truck
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE:  NEDRA race location change?
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Closed tailgate of the truck
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: AGM battery mgmt system
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: IOTA
 10) RE: 924 EV
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Help with battery wiring, avoid looping back
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: NEDRA race location change?
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 924 EV
        by Andrew Sackville-West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: 924 EV
        by Kevin Coughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Help with battery wiring
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RPM question
        by Stefano Landi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) searching for pulleys as shown in Grassroots videos
        by Stefano Landi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV pulbicity    Re: Montreal Gazette article today, Sept. 6
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: NEDRA race location change?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Long range RE: Frustr. of AC vs. DC; batt. tech. for newbies;
philosophizing
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: 924 EV
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The sad fact is that there is no real reason why an AC motor "has" to be
matched to its inverter, any more than a series DC motor has to be
matched to its PWM controller.

This is what BRUSA thinks about it, and they know their stuff:
http://www.brusa.biz/products/e_motoren108.htm

'91 ACRX - something different

It is mathematically calculated fairly easily.

It is the same type of calculations as the claims that
if all 750 million (or whowever many I forget) PCs in the
world will be put to work to crack PGP's encryption,
it will take 200 years to do it. There is no direct proof, but
it is all calculatable based on the CPU productivity and probability
theory.

If you choose not to believe it, fine by me.

damon henry wrote:
I still don't believe your bus will hold up for 228 years with only 1 undetected error.... In fact I bet you will have a hard time pointing out to me anything manmade that will work for that much time at all let alone error free... If it's not for marketing, what's the point of making a claim that is so obviously unrealistic.

Absolutely realistic. Again, it is not the rate of the errors on the
bus, it is the rate of undetected and thus uncorrected errors.

Corrected error as far as user is concerned is no error.

'91 ACRX - something different

Does anybody know when a BMS is required for AGM's?  For instance, when a
certain number are wired in series, parallel or a combination of those.  What
BMS are commercially available out there?

Gabe.

I think you misunderstand Damon.

Two gadgets with life time error free is one thing (esp if
a "life" is 1 year. No difference in gadgets.

But comparing error detection capabilities, you can tell that the
hardware/software solution capable of letting only one error
to slip undetected in 1000 years is *more capable* than the one
allowing one error in 300 years, although there is no direct
consequence to you, or any our hardware with moral obsolence in 10 years.

So there *is* difference in gadgets. Which one do you thing
they'd use for space Shuttle which lives, perhaps, 10 years?

Victor

damon henry wrote:
Why not... easy I don't believe the material that forms the bus will be useable in 228 years. You show me one piece of electronics that is still functional from 228 years ago and then I'll believe :-) That's what makes this claim ridiculous, not that the theory is wrong or even tough to understand, just that the implemtation trumps the theory. Either these numbers were made up by someone in marketing, or someone has been engineering in a vacuum again. Besides why say 1 error in 1000 years, why not just say error free over the lifetime. Surely if you can claim only one undetected error over an unrealistic timeframe it is no more of a stretch to claim error free.

From: Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Buses talk...
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:45:31 -0700

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 05:35:38PM +0000, damon henry wrote:
> I still don't believe your bus will hold up for 228 years with only 1
> undetected error....

Why not?

If you put a checksum on a packet, it is simple math to determine how strong the checksum is, and therefore how many packets at what corruption rate will
statistically defeat the sum.

I can believe these numbers will be amazingly huge.

Here is a fun quote from Bruce Schneier on this point:

MD5 is a 128-bit hash; the odds of two texts having identical MD5 hashes are 1 in 2^64. SHA-1 is a 160-bit hash; the odds of two texts having identical SHA-1 hashes are one in 2^80. Assuming the two hash functions are independent -- a reasonable assumption -- then the odds of two texts having identical MD5 and
SHA-1 hashes are 1 in 2^144.

The universe will either collapse on itself or the galaxies will drift apart
into nothingness before you find such a pair of texts.

So there you go! You just need to build both an MD5 and SHA1 sum into the
protocol, and you will never have an undetected error in the lifetime of the
buss. Then again, it looks like you can already say that ;)

> In fact I bet you will have a hard time pointing out
> to me anything manmade that will work for that much time at all let alone
> error free...

Not quite 228 years, but still pretty amazing.

http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/time_machine/centennial_lightbulb.html

> If it's not for marketing, what's the point of making a
> claim that is so obviously unrealistic.
>
> >From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> >Subject: Re: Buses talk...
> >Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:21:38 -0700
> >
> >Lee,
> >
> >It's the same as MTBF failure rate - these things can be calculated
> >and predicted quite accurately. We do it all the time in semiconductor
> >industry to predict life time. It predicts it statistically,
> >specifying acceptable failure rate and probability.
> >
> >In case of the bus errors, the rate can be calculated as well.
> >
> >Note, I said *undetected* error occurs that often. A bus errors
> >occur far more frequently, but are transparent to the user -
> >bad data is ignored and automatically re-transmitted, it is
> >partially built in the silicon and also part of the standard
> >protocol. So application sees no errors.
> >
> >This has nothing to do with marketing.
> >
> >Victor

> >>It's basically a guess, based on statistics and a lot of assumptions.
> >>You start by assuming an average bit error rate; say, 1 bad bit per
> >>million. You then assume these bad bits are randomly distributed; i.e.
> >>two bad bits might be anything from right next to each other to two
> >>million bits apart. Then you look at where two bad bits need to be in a
> >>packet to cancel each other out so the packet still appears to be
> >>correct (and so fools the error-detection algorithm).
> >>
> >>It will turn out that there is a short list of places in the packet
> >>where these two bit errors have to occur. You the figure out how long it
> >>will take before the two error bits just happen to land there.
> >>
> >>The trouble is, all this assumes you have perfect knowledge about the
> >>noise source. In reality, noise is unpredictable. So such calculations
> >>are largely useless except as a crude way to compare two different
> >>systems (or for Marketing people to "sell" you on their system).
> >
> >--
> >Victor
> >'91 ACRX - something different

'91 ACRX - something different

My apoligies I guess I overedited my email. Yes dropping your truck tailgate is
bad for aero based on some past tests that you site. Dropping your truck
tailgate is bad also because it changes the rigidness of the bed which could
potentially be bad in collisions and other situations.
I did it for the sole purpose so drivers behind me didn't know I had an
electric vehicle. It was the only way my wife would talk to me if I drove my
truck to work so I figured it was better to drive it in with the tailgate down
then not drive it at all and drive a 15mpg 1989 toyota van.
I closed it a few days later because I got some stuff at the store and had to
close it. I think it is probably still in the upright position.

"Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Here is a good explanation... http://www.awtrucks.com/tailgateup.htm

Snip>>>>>>>>

I'm an aerodynamics engineer. When I was in the U.S. Air Force a few
years back, I worked with folks from the Lockheed low-speed wind tunnel.

In the 1970s aircraft production went into a slump, and Lockheed started
looking.for other customers for its wind-tunnel services.

Prime candidates were automakers, and Lockheed was successful in
convincing Ford, among others, that the wind tunnel wouId help them
reduce drag and wind noise on their vehicles.

Needless to say, in the past 15 to 20 years, Lockheed has learned a lot
about car and truck aerodynamics.

Anyway, they actually performed drag tests on pickups with the tailgate
both up and down, and found that drag was actually LOWER with the
tailgate CLOSED!

This ran counter to their intuition (and yours). The reason is that a
closed tailgate sets up a large "bubble" of stagnant air that slowly
circulates around the bed of the truck (we aero types call this a
("separated bubble"). When air approaches the truck, it "sees" the
bubble as part of the truck. So to the air, the truck looks like it has
a nice, flat covering over the bed, and the air doesn't "slam" into the
vertical tailgate.

If the tailgate is open, or replaced by one of those "air gate" nets,
however, that nice, separate bubble in the truck bed does not form (it
"bursts").

Then the air approaching the truck "sees" a truck with a flat bed on the
back of a tall cab. This is a very nonaerodynamc shape with a very LARGE
drag.

So, believe it or not, it's best for gas mileage to keep the tailgate
CLOSED. Hope this information is helpful.

Ed Fitzgerald
Research Assistant
Department of Aero/Mechanical Engineering
University of Notre Dame

Jay Brown