  1) Another NEDRA rule question
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: World Solar Challenge
  3) Re: Another NEDRA rule question
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Which Nedra class? Last posting .......Comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: World Solar Challenge
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: World Solar Challenge
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: We got the Sunrise !!!
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE:  battery explosion
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Advice on getting motocycle glider for an EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Wife's EV questions?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Unibody (was RE: We got the Sunrise !!!)
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Capacitor Drag Racing Idea
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Solar Trailer?
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: White Zombie Electrifies PIR ...12.424 @ 103.57 mph!
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Asking for witnesses (was: Which Nedra class? )
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) EV Donor car available
        by Tom Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Advice on getting motocycle glider for an EV
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Siemens EV Motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: ThunderSky Self-Discharge
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: World Solar Challenge
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: World Solar Challenge
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: PIR 100 mph Club
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: ThunderSky Self-Discharge
Is John's Siamese 8 one motor or two?

I say it's one motor.

Why do I ask? Because Electric Jr Dragsters are limited to one motor. Not that
I'm thinking of needing more than one, but it's nice to know.

Stay Charged!
Hump

> Probably not, but I ask this: why are so few EVers at all interested in
> integrating solar arrays into the bodies, or at least the roof, of their
> car conversions?

That's easy.  Relative to a solar car, conversions require a lot of energy
to move.  THey don't have a lot of flat area and what they do have is
generally not optimally positioned for solar charging.  Net result is that
if you covered the useable area on a conversion with solar cells, you'd
collect enough energy in a day for one, /maybe/ two miles.  It's simply
not worth the time and effort.

> And do it for the free solar recharging and free EV advertising while at
> work: 500watts*5 solar hours: 2.5kwh/day----that's good for 10 miles of
> driving at 250wh/mile.

Just out of curiousity, have you actually experimented with solar cells?

You can get maybe 150 whrs per square meter, at high noon, in Arizona,
during the middle of summer, with cool cells.  And that is with the panel
pointing directly at the sun.

Sure high efficiency cells will give you a bit more, at geometrically
higher price.

Once the cells heat up, aren't pointing directly at the sun, the sun moves
from directly overhead, etc. etc. etc. the power drops off.

How are you going to keep the cells pointing directly at the sun?  Park on
a hill and move the car every 1/2 hour?  Or make all the panels lift off
the roof and rotate?  Neither solution is all that practical for a daily
driver.
I'm sure it's solveable, but I can't think of any solution that doesn't
cost a fortune, and/or add a significant amount of weight & drag.

In real life, getting 2.5 kwh per day is going to require a lot more area
than is available on most conversions.  THe ones that DO have enough area,
are going to require more than 250 W/mile.

Hi Hump,

This is only my opinion, the final decision would come from our tech director but I would feel that since it is on a single armature shaft and there is no coupling I would personally call it a single custom made motor with two commutators.

Roderick Wilde

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Why do I ask? Because Electric Jr Dragsters are limited to one motor. Not that I'm thinking of needing more than one, but it's nice to know.

Stay Charged!
Hump

 Hi Rod;

   Thanks for the kind words. I thought I'd throw out those comments as I
met most, to all, all youse guyz in my travels. I do my trip West to
recharge my brain cells with you all. You are all great guys Love ya all!

   That wedding musta been awesome. Amps were covered after the ceremony,
for sure. I didn't want to stur up a flame war, on the List. I don't think I
did?

   BTW I SUPPORT NEDRA and wanna join again, putting my money where my mouth
is. Forgot, how much, do we have lifetime membership. I know you put your
heart and soul into it, and to be Dissed hurts me as well as the Org. in
general. Wish I had come on board early enough to have met Ed Rannburg,
sigh!

   Seeya