  1) Re: Scratch Building a Car ( was RE: Can batteries be mounted up
     front  ahead of the bumper? )
  2) Re: World Solar Challenge......, question.
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Solar Trailer?
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Solar Trailer?
  5) Re: World Solar Challenge......, question.
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Electric Vehicle: 4 passenger...just $2250
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: battery explosion
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Advice on getting motocycle glider for an EV
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery or Generator Trailer
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Another NEDRA rule question
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: World Solar Challenge......, question.
 12) RE: battery explosion
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Solar Trailer?
 14) Re: Solar Trailer?
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: battery explosion, terminal connections
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Designing for safety (was "Re: Composite monocoque vs.
  sand buggy"
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: World Solar Challenge......, question.
 18) Newbie question.....
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: battery explosion
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Solar Trailer?
 21) Re: battery explosion, terminal connections
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Designing for safety (was 'Re: Composite monocoque vs. sand
     buggy'
 23) Re: World Solar Challenge......, question.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Solar Trailer?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Newbie question.....
 26) Re: Siemens EV Motors
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> At 12:53 PM -0700 on 9/25/05, Don Cameron wrote:
>
>>As Jerry points out, this is not a chassis building forum. Largely people
>> on
>>this forum are converting cars, few are building them from the ground up.
>>There are other, more suitable forums for scratch built cars.

I disagree.  This list is for discussing EVs, including building and
driving them.  Building chassis for EVs is definitely within bounds for
this list.  There might be other lists where you can gain valuable info on
chassis design, but discussing them here is acceptable.

I can't think of any place that is more appropriate for discussing chassis
design, as it applies to EVs, than this list.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 05:58:01 -0700 (MST), "Peter VanDerWal"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Easy, because by the time the cells are hot enough to heat water, they are
>too hot to produce electricity at maximum efficiency.
>
>The 'cool' temperature for PVs is less than 1/2 the temperature of the
>water circulating through a solar water heating panel.
>Water cooling PVs could work, but you'd want to use COLD water not HOT
>water.  Of course there is the whole electric isolation issue to overcome,
>but that's doable.

Well, not really if one works outside the box a little.  One would
have to accept cooler hot water but that's a reasonable compromise.
110 deg water is warm enough to bathe in and at that temperature most
cells still perform adequately.  That's colder than most solar water
heaters work but still adequate if one uses a larger storage tank.

>In the long run, it's cheaper just to buy more panels instead of building
>a system to cool them.

I'd look at the hot water as a practically freebie extra.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Hi folks
xantrex has a solar Charge Controller that provides 12
and 24 volts;

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/72/p/253/pt/25/product.asp

I'm sure other makers have more voltage units.

And, is there something wrong with using a diode to
protect your batteries from trying to charge a low
cell??? like they do with solar cells to keep them
from trying to discharge your batteries.
Tom
-----------------
The problem that I saw with having the panels charge
the pack directly is for one you would need to
separate the batteries and assign one to each panel or
wire all the panels in series to charge the pack.
Last time I
looked at panels they were 12V so for say a 156 volt
pack to charge it you would need 180 volts or 15
panels.  I think now you just got out of the
feasibility of the trailer concept.  I was also
thinking that maybe a 10KW gas generator might work in
that application.  You could convert it to CNG
and maybe set it to run for 2 hours or maybe 3 at 240V
to quickly charge the pack.  I would think that a 3
hour run would only burn maybe a gallon of gas.  Just
a thought.

Jody