  1) Re: Siemens EV Motors
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery or Generator Trailer
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: World Solar Challenge, Panel life
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Designing for safety (was 'Re: Composite monocoque vs. sand      buggy'
        by "stU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery or Generator Trailer
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Newbie question.....
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Newbie question.....
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: battery explosion, terminal connections
        by "Rich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: World Solar Challenge, Panel life
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: World Solar Challenge, Panel life
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Capacitor Drag Racing Idea
        by "Mark Thomasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: World Solar Challenge, Panel life
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) S-10 Conversion Speed Sensor
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Shorter clip of Victors capacitor only burnout
        by "Harris, Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: S-10 Conversion Speed Sensor
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Newbie question.....
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE:  Wanted - information on DC motor
        by Victor Reppeto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Shorter clip of Victors capacitor only burnout
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Newbie question.....
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Newbie question.....
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Electric Vehicle: 4 passenger...just $2250
 22) Rewinding a shunt motor: costs?
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Another NEDRA rule question single or dual motor
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Shorter clip of Victors capacitor only burnout
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Rewinding a shunt motor: costs?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Designing for safety (was 'Re: Composite monocoque vs. sand
             buggy'
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Blew up Diode bridge.
 28) Re: Designing for safety (was 'Re: Composite monocoque vs. sand      buggy'
        by "Tim Stephenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Solar Trailer? charge control
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Why does it need to be liquid cooled? Sure, it's nice; but it also adds
a lot of expense. 99% of electric motors are not liquid cooled.

I never said it *need* to be liquid cooled. I'm saying it is
a big advantage that they happen to be liquid cooled, just like
liquid cooled heat sink - we all know they are better for
hi power electronics but most of the sinks are air cooled since
the cost for them is a priority.

So, yes, certainly you don't need to have water cooled motor
in your EV in the same sense that you don't need to drive
a Mercedes. While most indeed don't, many people do.
Liquid cooled motors would be for those that do. It's a choice.

'91 ACRX - something different

Mike,
Welcome to the list. Yes, this has been discussed numerous times over the
years, ad-nauseam! See my recent posts below and check the archives.
BB

>Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:35:49 -0600
>From: "Mike Whiteley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>I finally got up enough guts to post on this list.
>(This is my first post, please don't flame me. . lol )
>
>This probably isn't a novel idea but as an effort to increase
>the range of EV's, would it really be that bad to have either:
>1.  A optional trailer packed with batteries, for extended range
>(just for those long trips)
>OR
>2.  A optional gas generator packed in a little trailer for really
>long trips.
>
>This would effectively make the EV more useful for everyone.  The
>vehicle would run only on electricity most of the time but could use
>some gas for demanding long trips (even several hundred miles).  It's
>as simple as hooking up a trailer (assuming the supporting electronics
>are in place).
>
>Please let me know if anyone does this, or if this has been hashed out
>before.  Thanks.
>
>Mike
>

>Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:45:27 -0600
>From: "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Another newby's take on racing

<snippage>

>Off-topic range extenders:
>And speaking of trailers, someone recently asked about using a range
>extending generator with an EV. I've been using a 10kW "propane" genny
>while pulling a 4'x8' utility trailer to make a trip to the dump (no
>eelectricity available there!), and also for hauling equipment to an
>indoor winter BMX facility. For a 60 mile round trip I use less than
>one-half of two 20 pound propane tanks, or around four gallons. Although
>going from an infernal combustion genny (even running at a constant RPM),
>through a generator, and then through chargers ain't as efficient as a gas
>truck, which would use three gallons of gas at 20 miles per gallon, the
>propane fuel is a whole lot cleaner and doesn't gum up (or go bad) when
>not in use. After a recent thread on using a genny for a range extender,
>verses keeping a gas pickup around for the occasional hauling job (with
>the cost of insurance, registration, emission testing, etc.), I noticed my
>genny used to pull the trailer has been about two percent of my kWh's
>consumed, which isn't too bad. As I've said before, with a 14-50 outlet
>(240V at 50A) located here and there to bulk charge, I just don't need no
>stinkin' infernal combustion genny a whole lot!
>
>EV's R Us,
>Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
>Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:
>http://www.devc.org/
>Card carrying member and former racer with The National Electric Drag
>Racing Association:
>http://www.nedra.com/
>Lyons, CO
>1979 Mazda RX-7 EV (192V of YT's for the teenagers)
>1989 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab (144V of floodies, for Ma and Pa only!)

>Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:29:25 -0600
>From: "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Pollution in small engines,   Re: Rules of thumb for engine,
>Generator Eff ...
>
>David and All,
>What about when I need to pull a trailer to a place with no outlet, like
>the dump? With my on-board and off-board chargers and a 50A 14-50 outlet
>available I can do most of my driving, but my 10kW genny running a LPG
>powered Honda engine can buy me the extra range I sometimes need. Not to
>mention that it can be used by both of our EV's with my off-board
>FrankenLester(s) (the RX-7 uses a 144V and 48V). Should I own a second
>truck for those occasional longer trips (maintain and insure it, etc.,
>which could be a bio-diesel powered buggy, but which would be cleaner)? If
>I could just put a hitch on the wife's Prius...
>BB
>
>>From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:16:01 -0400
><snipage>
>>Better yet, leave the EV at home, and drive a well-maintained, newer ICE for
>>the long trips.

Howdy,

Not to get too far off track but does anyone know the half life and end of
life on solar panels?  I was thinking of putting some on my EV & house and
wanted to justify the cost.

Thanks, Mark