  1) Re: Use of Photovoltaics for EVs
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Industrial motors was: Re: Siemens EV Motors
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: performance problems
        by Ross Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: 914 weight balance
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: 914 weight balance
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: performance problems
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Street Conversion vs Modified Conversion
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Is it really okay to expose motor to the "elements"
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 914 weight balance
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Is it really okay to expose motor to the "elements"
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: performance problems
        by Ross Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Another NEDRA rule question
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Something else to consider with the "on-car" cells:  if I had the choice
between parking in the parking garage at work or parking in the sun so
my solar cells would work, I'd still park in the garage.  When it's 105
outside and the car's in direct sunlight, the A/C tends to eat the gain
from on-car cells pretty quick.

Tim

On Sep 28, 2005, at 5:05 AM, Electric Vehicle Discussion List wrote:

On 9/28/05, djsharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mounting PVs on vehicles with limited surface areas and the need to
mount them flat (at least whilst moving) is less preferred than locating them in optimised fixed locations. Here the energy produced can be fed into the grid for later recovery or stored directly in batteries. I have heard that solar challenge PVs are sometimes damaged during the events. They are fragile things. I have 3kW of PV on a roof & am planning 1.6kW more. This is to power my house but it is not enough to charge my EV as
well.

At 10:41 AM 2/10/05 -0500, Ryan wrote:
James Massey wrote:

> I can get an industrial drive to run it from a battery pack, and be happy
> at 400V on the DC buss,

How much does one of these 400V industrial drives sell for?

From memory, about twice the price of the cheapest Zilla.

We looked very closely at this about two years ago for a customers' job that didn't go ahead, I could dig out the drive manufacturer if anyone is interested. Their drives would go up to 800V for the ones made for the 415V 3-phase AC market (here) and it needed to be a indent-order one for the 200V 3-phase market that would work on a 400V buss. They had used these drives on shunting train locos used for yard work for a couple of customers - not sure where though.

James
Jody Dewey:  The transmission handles reverse gear - it seems like the flow of
energy to the motor is erratic.  Another member suggested the tack pickup / rev
limiter function on the controller and I'm going there first.   Thanks,   Ross

"Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Are you using the
controller to go in reverse or a gear? If it is a gear my
bet is something is wrong with the transmission. If you are reversing a DC
motor to get reverse I think the brushes are totally in the wrong advance
position for reverse operation.

As for the 12V going dead problem my thought is the DC/DC converter.
Disconnect it and let it sit for a week and see what happens. Otherwise use
the standard "pull a fuse" until you find it technique on the 12V DC bus
line.

    From: Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>>
    From: Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75
IM3)<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>

    --
    Jim Coate
    1970's Elec-Trak's
    1998 Chevy S-10 NiMH BEV
    1997 Chevy S-10 NGV Bi-Fuel

http://www.eeevee.com<http://www.eeevee.com/<http://www.eeevee.com<http://ww
w.eeevee.com/>>

Nick,   I have the 12 volt system unplugged now, charging separately for a
battery check.  The battery is dated May of 2000 and is small (and cheap) and I
may benefit from a replacement.    When I get it up and running (or jumping)
again,  I'll work on the Raptor motor speed sensor and see if I can smooth
things out.  I may need to get back with  you about "cleaning the speed sensor
or adjusting it a bit closer the the surface that it is reading."  'Til then,
thanks for the info,  Ross

Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Hi,

Ross Henderson wrote:
> I'm happy with the truck but I do have some problems. First, the
> truck skips, bucks, stutters and jumps like a bunny rabbit in reverse
> (no clutch). I thought this was a non use thing when I test drove
> the truck but it hasn't gone away. (DCP Raptor 600 controller) What
> can I do to fix this?

I had problems in the past with a Raptor controller making my Jeep buck
and stutter at low speeds. The problem ended up being that the Raptor's
optical motor speed sensor wasn't detecting the motor revolutions
correctly at low speeds.

Assuming that your truck is using the Raptor's motor speed sensor, try
unplugging the speed sensor from the Raptor and see if the bucking
problem goes away. If it does, then try cleaning the speed sensor or
adjusting it a bit closer to the surface that it is reading and that
should help.

> Secondly, the 12 Volt system looses charge
> when allowed to sit for a week or more. The key wasn't even in the
> truck, no lights / radio left on, etc. Could I have a faulty ignition
> switch?

The truck is probably setup to where the DC/DC converter is off when the
ignition switch is off. If this is the case, then it is normal for the
12-volt battery to slowly run down due to the "phantom" loads in the
vehicle (i.e. clock, radio memory, etc...).

Hope that helps,

--
-Nick
http://Go.DriveEV.com/
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
---------------------------

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

At 09:36 AM 9/27/2005, you wrote:

Is John's Siamese 8 one motor or two?

I say it's one motor.

Why do I ask? Because Electric Jr Dragsters are limited to one motor. Not that I'm thinking of needing more than one, but it's nice to know.

The NHRA wanted the "single motor" text in the Jr Dragster rules. I have no idea why. I guess they wanted to parallel the ICE Jr Dragster rules as best as they could.

I made sure that multiple motors were specifically allowed for the full-sized cars, but the NHRA was really were fixated on single motors for the Jr. Dragsters, so I chose to fight outher battles instead.

In the ICE classes, the NHRA says it a single engine if it has just one engine block and one crankshaft. Using the same guidelines, they will probably call it a single motor if it has a single stator case and a single armature (rotor) shaft.

If the motor can't be divided into two, separate, motors, (that could function independently) I can't see how you could call it anything but a single motor.

        Bill Dube'
        National Technical Director
        National Electric Drag Racing Association