  1) Re: Need advice on a Porsche conversion candidate
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) was / Re: SOC/ water pump
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: wheels tires
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Need advice on a Porsche conversion candidate
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Need advice on a Porsche conversion candidate
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) =?Windows-1252?Q?Re:_article:_Honda=92s_E4-01_Concept_bike_=96_is_this_?=
        =?Windows-1252?Q?Honda=92s_electric_bike=3F?=
  7) Re: [Evtech] I'm Back & Looking for new hi-tech batteries
  8) Re: Battery Isolator
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: TN EV buses on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Details of the Lee Hart Zener-Lamp regulator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Ranger EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Cruise control in EVision
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Rear battery box & hitch nearly complete!
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched charger
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) MagneCharger inlet on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched charger
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) RE: was / Re: SOC/ water pump
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Details of the Lee Hart Zener-Lamp regulator
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Need advice on a Porsche conversion candidate
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Another conversion candidate (in Texas)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Convertible Bug candidate in PA
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) value of S-10
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: Solectria E-10 stalling
        by Aaron NMLUG-EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Details of the Lee Hart Zener-Lamp regulator
        by "Tim Stephenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 12V parts misused, was: Re: Battery Isolator
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Details of the Lee Hart Zener-Lamp regulator
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: 12V parts misused, was: Re: Battery Isolator
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: s-10 value
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 29) Re: value of S-10
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Underestimated public reaction
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) RE: s-10 value
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched charger
        by Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The key word here is "Targa" as in, no roof. I have a bias, but I
wouldn't convert a car and make it heavier, knowing that it was the
weakest variant of that model.

Just an opinion

Seth

P.S. go for the 944

On 10/6/05, Nick 'Sharkey' Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2005-10-06, David Dymaxion wrote:
> >
> > Most cars you worsen the weight distribution when converting (car
> > becomes more tail heavy). In this case you'd probably make the car
> > less tail heavy.
> [...]
> > RWD and rear weight bias makes for less safe street handling.
>
> You could correct this pretty easily by putting some of the lead
> up front, though, couldn't you?  I've never looked under the hood
> of such a thing, but I'm assuming there's luggage space up there
> in the nose ...
>
> -----sharks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Poulsen" < .
The 12v battery voltage dipped and the inverter shut its self off. I'm using a 12v electric fuel pump now .

Is there any concern about corrosion when using water in a fuel pump?
What pump did you end up using?

I'm not sure this is the best pump but I needed something right then and got it at the discount auto store , It kind of looks like a transformer , square with 2 ears for mounting , ran about $30 ,it works with a diaphragm I believe . I am going to put some anti freeze in place of the water as this should help keep it form corrosion and oil it some . a RV water pump might work good also .
Steve clunn.
bet I miss spelled di a fram

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The effect of the rotating mass of a wheel is pretty small - generally about a third of the wheel weight. As an example, if you took three pounds out of a wheel ( by going to a lighter wheel) it would be equivalent, acceleration-wise ( or braking-wise) to taking about 4 pounds out of your trunk. (You would save the three pounds of wheel weight reduction, and about 1 more pound of equivalent mass - 4 pounds total)

That extra pound is only for acceleration - not hill climbing or cruising at a steady speed. So, for climbing hills ( or, for calculating the extra tire rolling resistance) that 3 pound lighter wheel would have the same effect as just three pounds out of your trunk.

The bottom line is - going to lighter, more expensive wheels to improve " efficiency" does not give you much bang for your buck.

If you don't already have LRR tires, that should be your next step.
They would significantly iimprove your efficiency for all conditions : you would end up with more range, longer battery life (due to lower depth of discharge for the same trip) , and marginally better acceleration.

Phil

From: Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: wheels tires
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:38:25 -0500

mike golub wrote:

> Are those alloy rims just a cosmetic thing?

Forged aluminum wheels are much lighter then typical stock cast
aluminum ones.  Light weight wheels help with acceleration and
braking.

Imagine something very heavy that was spinning and you were going to
attempt to stop it with your hands.  Now imagine if it was extremely
light.

Same goes for getting a heavy wheel up to speed fast or getting a
light one up to speed fast.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dymaxion"

I'm in the process of converting a 1977 Porsche 911.

I've done a 68 912 which later got a fiber glass 959 body put on it , there was lots of room for batteries , and in the end with 13 orbitals it weighted 2450 , and went very well , I have a 83 924 , which is a bit heaver but also has lots of room for batteries ,

Light, small, aerodynamic, big brakes, yet a good amount of room for
batteries.

The aerodynamics are very noticable , where most all ev's I've had it would take a lot more power to go 60 that 50 mph but my 924 dose not use the 1/3 more power that most seem to . ,

RWD and rear weight bias makes for less safe street handling.

just put more batteries in the front , .

steve clunn

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Cover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Eric Poulsen" < .
>> The 12v battery voltage dipped and the inverter shut its self off. I'm
>> using a 12v electric fuel pump now .
>>
> Is there any concern about corrosion when using water in a fuel pump?
> What pump did you end up using?

I'm not sure this is the best pump but I needed something right then and got

it at the discount auto store , It kind of looks like a transformer , square

with 2 ears for mounting , ran about $30 ,it works with a diaphragm I
believe . I am going to put some anti freeze in place of the water as this
should help keep it form corrosion and oil it some . a RV water pump might
work good also .
Steve clunn.
bet I miss spelled di a fram

Oh come on............... please share what this is. All I have gotten from
the list is "Kluge"'s post and your reply Lee. Did I miss the original post.
What  is the Lee Hart Zener lamp regulator ???

> > Lee, I am really impressed with the elegance of the zener-lamp
> > battery regulator (while understandfing its limitations).
> > I'm going to make a few for a variety of uses as a first step.
> > My question is this: Should the zeners be sunk down into the
> > lug/heatsinks?
>
> Yes; at least that's how I'm doing it. I use 5 watt zeners, and they
> will overheat if you don't heatsink them somehow. So I use "heavy duty"
> copper ring terminals, sized to fit on a 5/16" bolt and for a #4 wire.
> The body of the zener goes entirely inside the terminal where the #4
> wire would normally get crimped. I solder one zener wire to the ring
> terminal, the other to a short length of hookup wire, then pot it with
> thermally conductive epoxy, and finally put heat shrink tubing over it.
> The resulting assembly is waterproof and acid-proof. The ring terminal
> (and battery terminal it is bolted to) serves as the heatsink for the
> zener.
>
> > Also - are there any picture of the completed units
> > on the net anywhere for viewing?
>
> Hmm... I don't know of any. Any of you guys that have them have a
> digital camera?
> --
> "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
> shore for a very long time."        -- Andre Gide
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

06/10/2005

Solectria makes the BPM3-72V motor that is specifically designed to run a
power steering pump.  If you want to maximize efficiency then connect it
directly to the pump instead of with a pulley and a belt.  They also offer a
120V version of the motor if you want to run it off the pack instead of its
own batteries.  What I would do is wire a contactor between 120V of your
main pack and the motor and rig a dash switch to turn on the pump when you
need it so it isn't running while you are driving.

>I too am converting a Porsche and > power
> steering pump and AC compressor with a small treadmill motor.

I tried a few motors for the steering pump on the 300zx and found that when
truning the wheel with the car stopped the pump would stop the small motors
, I was putting 48v @ 50 amps  into one and still the power steering pump
would stall it . I had thing geared down to , the pump didn't need to trun
to fast to work but it did need alot of toque , I can't see a treadmill
motor doing it even geared way down. I ended up hooking it to the tail shaft

of the 9" motor and that worked good , when at a dead stop you can push the
clutch in , a little go pedle and you have steering , once  the car is
moving it seems to work fine.

> I'm actually picking up a second 944 this weekend. I found one with a
> blown engine for under $1300. Keep in mind these are pretty aerodynamic
> cars without a spec of rust. They are solid and will have no problem
> handling the extra weight.

yep , thats what I found .
steve clunn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4578934105

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4580096438

Everything that is missing is also sold as fiberglass (lighter?)

Greetings from a lurker-
I have been given the opportunity to buy a GM S-10 pickup with only 3500
miles on it.  I have absolutely no idea whether or not it runs, or what  shape
the battery pack is in, but I do know that the body looks just like a 3500
mile
body should.  My questions are: What can I expect to have to pay for  this
truck, is it a good first EV for a duffer, and is it easily repairable by a
Sunday mechanic.
Thanks for your assistance,
Bruce McClure

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 08:15, Jacob wrote:
> Have any of you E-10 or Force owners ever experienced stalling while
> accelerating into traffic or going up mild inclined hills? Yes,
complete
> stalling -  this can be very dangerous and is what I'm dealing with.
When it
> stalls, I can get it going again right away usually if I switch the
console
> to neutral, turn off the key and back on again and then put it back in
> forward again. Do think this is a POT or motor controller issue or
something
> else? Currently I'm just driving it with one controller and motor as
the
> other side controller is removed for (hopeful) repair.
>
> Thanks..Jacob Harris

I have this now, and have not fixed it yet.
I'm still looking.

The most common cause is a bad main contactor.  It suddenly opens.
However, I think I can still hear the contactor click.
I have NOT opened the inverter yet to double-check that I can see it.
In my case, I still have a suspiscion that it is wiring someplace
else causing an interlock to fail.

I have the old Brusa AMC300 inverter.  Newer inverters are likely
to be different.
--
Aaron Birenboim         \    I have an inferiority complex,
Albuquerque, NM, USA     \       but its not a very good one.

This is from Don Cameron's site
(http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/EV_BatteryManagementSystems.html ) -
thanks!

Lee Hart's Shunt Type Battery Balancer

Here is one possibility [for a shunt type battery balancer - ed]. Strangely
enough, it is currently in my own EV, since I sold its Balancer to Rick
Woodbury.

Each battery has a regulator which consists of

2 - ring terminal, with hole for 5/16" bolt, and crimp for #6 wire
2 - 6.8v 5watt zener diodes
1 - #PR2 flashlight bulb
Solder a zener diode into each ring terminal where the wire normally goes.
Solder a 6" piece of wire to the other end of the zener diode. Solder the
flashlight bulb between the free ends of these two wires. Now you have the
two zeners and flashlight bulb all wired in series.

Fill the space between the zener and ring terminal with epoxy glue.
Likewise, dunk the bulb and its wires in epoxy glue. This makes everything
waterproof and acid proof, and helps conduct heat. The zeners get their
heatsinking from the large ring terminals and battery posts they are bolted
to.

Put one of these circuits across every 12v battery. If the charging voltage
exceeds about 13.6v, the zeners begin to conduct and the lamp lights. At
about 15v, the lamp is fully lit and is bypassing about 0.5 amps.

Use a photocell to detect the light being produced. When any of these
battery regulators lights, the photocell sees it and either switches the
charger off, or to a low-current trickle charge or float voltage setting.

> Oh come on............... please share what this is. All I have gotten
from
> the list is "Kluge"'s post and your reply Lee. Did I miss the original
post.
> What  is the Lee Hart Zener lamp regulator ???
>

> John

I had one of these weld closed doing the duty it's intended for - 12V
isolator on a car, so they're not up to starter motor currents - never
mind opening on load.  Completely unsuitable for EV use!

On 10/6/05, Brown, Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I actually have some (cough, cough, ...) experience with this little red
> key.  It didn't work to cutoff 48volts of Alltrax so I would HIGHLY
> recommend against using it for anything above 12 volts.  Luckily the
> transmission (who am I kidding... it was the chain on my e-go-kart) was
> disconnected at the time so it wasn't a runaway but rather more like a
> fireworks show...

Thanks Tim, Would this circuit be better with something like a tailght bulb
(20 watts) so that most of the charge current is being  used by the bulb and
not going into the battery to boil the electrolyte.

That way I don't have to keep going out to the EV to see if its lit up like
a Christmas tree (LOL) .
You see most EV charging in UK is done at night as the cost per kwh is less
than half the price during the day.

> Here is one possibility [for a shunt type battery balancer - ed].
Strangely
> enough, it is currently in my own EV, since I sold its Balancer to Rick
> Woodbury.
>
> Each battery has a regulator which consists of
>
> 2 - ring terminal, with hole for 5/16" bolt, and crimp for #6 wire
> 2 - 6.8v 5watt zener diodes
> 1 - #PR2 flashlight bulb
> Solder a zener diode into each ring terminal where the wire normally goes.
> Solder a 6" piece of wire to the other end of the zener diode. Solder the
> flashlight bulb between the free ends of these two wires. Now you have the
> two zeners and flashlight bulb all wired in series.
>
> Fill the space between the zener and ring terminal with epoxy glue.
> Likewise, dunk the bulb and its wires in epoxy glue. This makes everything
> waterproof and acid proof, and helps conduct heat. The zeners get their
> heatsinking from the large ring terminals and battery posts they are
bolted
> to.
>
> Put one of these circuits across every 12v battery. If the charging
voltage
> exceeds about 13.6v, the zeners begin to conduct and the lamp lights. At
> about 15v, the lamp is fully lit and is bypassing about 0.5 amps.
>
> Use a photocell to detect the light being produced. When any of these
> battery regulators lights, the photocell sees it and either switches the
> charger off, or to a low-current trickle charge or float voltage setting.

I have an air conditioner (outside unit 240vac) emergency disconnect that's
2 pole and wire it in series for better arcing suppression.  It's mounted on
my left side to grab in case of woops.  The vehicle is 72Vdc.