  1) Re: value of S-10
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) FREE Cushman Truckster near Sacramento
  3) Lester Charger
        by Ross Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Solectria E-10 stalling
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: List Admin - was Re: Emailing: 655.html
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched charger
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) No html or attachments please
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Precharge resistor with DLS -55/controller.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: s-10 value
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Lester Charger
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched
  charger
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched charger
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) 72vdc Altrax car conversion.
 14) Modified bad boy design questions
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Crimp versus solder (was: Cable Crimping Tools)
        by Martin Klingensmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Dragster crash photos from Speedworld (OT)
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Increasing charging current of Cheap 12 volt switched charger
        by "David Roden " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: s-10 value
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Wanted: dead 20+ HP outboard for electric boat
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Weeping battery tops/Floodies
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: MagneCharger inlet on eBay
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Details of the Lee Hart Zener-Lamp regulator
        by "stU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Wanted: dead 20+ HP outboard for electric boat
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Modified bad boy design questions
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Weeping battery tops/Floodies
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Details of the Lee Hart Zener-Lamp regulator
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Lee Hart's zener lamp regulator
        by kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Dragster crash photos from Speedworld (OT)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: s-10 value
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: MagneCharger inlet on eBay
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
We are talking the production truck here right? EVBones (www.evbones.com) sells
refurbished trucks with warranty. 97's are $20,000 and 98's are $25,000. These
all have good battery packs, everything is clean, they are perfect. I've seen
some of their trucks in person, they're all very nice.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:Greetings from a lurker-
I have been given the opportunity to buy a GM S-10 pickup with only 3500
miles on it. I have absolutely no idea whether or not it runs, or what shape
the battery pack is in, but I do know that the body looks just like a 3500 mile
body should. My questions are: What can I expect to have to pay for this
truck, is it a good first EV for a duffer, and is it easily repairable by a
Sunday mechanic.
Thanks for your assistance,
Bruce McClure

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

Do not contact me.  I'm just passing this on.  Lawrence Rhodes....
Message: 2
  Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:59:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
  From: David Russel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FREE Cushman near Sacramento

From the microcar list, a relevant freebie:

Do not contact me! The following add is on Craig's List (www.craigslist.org) for Sacramento as a free item.

You can cut [EMAIL PROTECTED] and paste it in the TO line of your email.

cushman truckster 1976 FREE
Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 2005-10-05, 9:56PM PDT

i have a cushman truckster and i hope it still works but some vandals
have broke the front windsheild and rear window and stole the batterie
and im shure it still works but but it still needs gas because they
triped it over and all the gas came out the car uses premium gas and
it is a 1976 cushman truckster so take it now before thay do more to
it HURRY!! p.s. i was storing it on some nearby land and they just
vandalised it its a good car you might have to put in 100 dllars at
the most for the glass and the baterie do not email if you cant tow
it!! it needs to go

   * this is in or around winters
   * no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other
commercial interests

Sincerely,
David

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
Gentlemen,  The Lester charger on my 120 V system has a "Winter / Summer"
switch on the front.  Can anyone shed a little light on this for me?       Ross

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good

On 6 Oct 2005 at 19:25, Jacob wrote:

> David, I do not have this on my E-10.

If not, it's probably not worth adding.  It doesn't really tell you that
much.

Look for loose, dirty, or corroded connections on the control (not high
current) side.  These controllers use a db25 connector; check it.  Check all
the inline connectors.  Check the potbox with an analog ohmmeter; move the
arm slowly and watch for big drops in resistance.

I wonder f this is related in any way to what caused the problem with your
second controller.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use evdl at drmm period net.

On 5 Oct 2005 at 17:53, Andrew Letton wrote:

> Isn't the maillist software supposed to strip all attachments? How did
> the file that was attached to the "Emailing: 655.html" message make it
> through?

The list attachment stripper is currently down for repairs.  Messages are
being scanned for malware content, but it's still a good idea to be cautious
with suspicious-looking posts.

I strongly recommend that those using Windows OS obtain and install an
alternative email client, such as Pegasus or Eudora.  It's better to avoid
using Outlook or Outlook Express, as those programs are the usual target of
virus and worm authors.  For even better security, abandon IE and use
Firefox, Mozilla, or one of the many variants of these standard browsers.

Now back to EVs!

On 7 Oct 2005 at 16:23, Robert Chew wrote:

> Upon reading a few articles regarding chargers I came to the conclusion that
> there might be a possibility to increase the current output of my cheap 12
> volt charger.

Give it up.  That little guy is just too feeble.  Get a real EV charger.

This is my last post on this subject.  Maybe you just have to learn the hard
way.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use evdl at drmm period net.

The list filter is currently down for repairs.  Messages are being scanned
for malware content.

Until the filter is back up, please refrain from sending html and
attachments to the EV list.  It's been the policy for many years that this
list accepts plain text email only.  Please comply with this out of courtesy
to the people all over the world who still read this list over slow, high
cost connections.  Set your email client to send plain text only, and don't
add attachments.

Thanks for your cooperation.

On 6 Oct 2005 at 18:17, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

> I get a big zorch everytime I plug in the DLS-55.

Ah, fond (?) memories of Todd chargers ...

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use evdl at drmm period net.

If this is the GM factory S-10, it's a highly proprietary, integrated,
system-designed EV.  From what I hear, they're difficult to work on without
GM's specialized tools.

You pretty much have to use the battery for which it's designed, which can
be obscenely expensive.  I believe that there are some used modules floating
around right now, recycled from the (perfectly good) vehicles that GM
destroyed, but when those are gone you are apt to end up with a very high
cost per mile EV.  If history is any indication, most people who buy these
trucks will probably use them until the batteries are toast, and then park
them.

To avoid the above problems, you'd probably have to gut the entire drive and
start from scratch with "open source" EV parts.

I'd avoid this vehicle unless you can get it for about what the bare glider
is worth (that is, same year ICE S-10 without engine and trans).

On 7 Oct 2005 at 13:10, Ross Henderson wrote:

> The Lester charger on my 120 V system has a "Winter / Summer"
> switch on the front.

If left connected after they shut off, Lestronic chargers restart every 2.5
days to top off the battery.  With the switch in the winter position, this
happens more frequently to keep the battery warm, though I don't recall how
often.  Lester say that the switch should not be left in Winter position for
long term storage or if ambient temp is above 50 deg F / 10 deg C.

This is not an adequate substitute for properly insulating your battery.
When I had one of these chargers, I left the switch in summer position to
prevent overcharging.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use evdl at drmm period net.

At 12:20 PM 10/7/2005, you wrote:
So if you have a 312V pack the charger would cost ~$1,900 and you would
have to design a float circuit also.  Probably not worth it unless you
have a source of cheap transformer with that fancy secondary.

Just buy a PFC-20 (or 30, or 50) and have something faster, better, and more reliable.
G;day Mate,

Like everyone, I love electric cars and the idea of owning and driving one.
And like most, I am almost on the way. Unlike some, I have little to no
money to get the 'Real Ev Charger'. Still got to fork out tuition fees,
board, car registration for the other car and I still need to eat, right.
And I cannot afford to work too much at the expense of my grades!

So really, there is no harm in trying this idea out. And if it works which
theoretically can, I'll be doing myself and my thesis a favor by hopefully
gaining some extra marks at the end for creating something useful with some
large constraints, Money!

I am sure that there are a few people on this list that are in the same boat
and could hopefully benefit by using alternative ideas to get hopefully
almost the same job done but using only a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for your input though

Cheers

On 7 Oct 2005 at 16:23, Robert Chew wrote:

> Upon reading a few articles regarding chargers I came to the conclusion
that
> there might be a possibility to increase the current output of my cheap 12
> volt charger.

Give it up.  That little guy is just too feeble.  Get a real EV charger.

This is my last post on this subject.  Maybe you just have to learn the hard

way.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use evdl at drmm period net.

--- Begin Message --- Has anyone converted a car using an 72vdc/400 amp Altrax and a VW/Festiva/Sprint? What kind of hill climbing/sucess as a functional EV? Seems it might be good for Sacramento but San Francisco? I have some people interested but I don't want to advise if it is too wimpy. Options are 12 golfcar, 6 each sealed batteries like an NEV of 6 flooded like an NEV. Thanks for any info. I'd have to think it would out perform an NEV.
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
I'm thinking about building a modified bad boy charger when I upgrade from the
96V system currently installed.  If I go to a 156V system
(visions of PFC's dancing in my head, but only there, for now...)  what I'm
considering is this:  119.5 VAC from the 20amp outlet in the garage,
through a bridge rectifier to get ~ 168V DC.  I've picked up a 450 watt
transformer with 14.5 and 11.3 VAC options from the secondary.
Running that through another rectifier and adding it in series should result in
about 14.4 or 14.1 volts per battery, respectively.   I'd use a
cheap timer and a photoelectric sensor on the zener lamp regulator on one of
the batteries (in series) to select 14.4, with 14.1 being the
default voltage.  (GFCI outlet, Amp meter & fuse or circuit breaker, too, of
course.)  I'll need to watch it to see how many amps it draws at the
different voltages and see what voltage works best at what stage of the
charging cycle, of course, until I get a feel for the batteries (and my
circuit breaker.)

 What am I missing?  Do I need a honking big electrolytic capacitor for the
ripple?  Am I completely delusional about this?  Be frank - I can take it
(and I need it!)  I know that 14.1 is a little "hot" for a float valtage, and
14.4 is a little weak for the bulk charge, but I'm thinking both are "good
enough"?

You can buy a $15 propane torch at the home improvement store and use a
spool of the rosin core solder that's on the rack right next to the torch.
Just letting you know since you think it's more expensive.
--
Martin K

--
Martin Klingensmith
http://wwia.org/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Whoever it was that wanted the dragster crash photos from Speedworld, please let me know who you were again. Sorry it took forever but I have finally gotten it done. Anyway, I am on a different comp and don't have your address here. They are Zipped. Hopefully you have WinZip.

David Chapman
Arizona Electropulsion / Fine-Junque
http://stores.ebay.com/theworldoffinejunque
On 8 Oct 2005 at 8:13, Robert Chew wrote:

> Unlike some, I have little to no money to
> get the 'Real Ev Charger'.

Been there.  Believe me, you are not alone.

> So really, there is no harm in trying this idea out.

Except to the battery!

I'm going to break my vow and point out that many EV hobbyists have traveled
this road before you.  There are recognized and time-proven answers to low
cost charging.  Many of them have been posted in this thread already.

1. Build a charger using a surplus or used Variac and a large bridge
rectifier, also available surplus.  Add a timer from the hardware store or a
garage sale and you have a charger.

2. Call around to golf car and industrial vehicle dealers, asking if they'll
sell you a used 36 volt golf car charger.  Some of them have upgraded golf
cars to 48 volts in recent years, and this has left such shops with stacks
(literally) of takeouts.  Some have sold them off, but (at least here in the
states) now and then you'll find one that still has them sitting in the parts
warehouse.  These can be modified with a bridge rectifier for charging a 72
volt battery, though you'll have to give up any automatic charge control it
has.  Or, if you can find and afford two golf car chargers, you can use them
as-is and use each to charge half the pack.  Still another possibility: get a
few very cheap or free 36v chargers that need repair, and see if you can make
one good one from several bad ones.

3. Buy something used on the EV trading post or Ebay.  OK, the good chargers
such as Lestronics sell in the $150+ range on Ebay, but I've seen used dumb
(manual) golf car chargers go for $50 - $100.

Sometimes you get lucky and can pick up a golf car charger for free, or for
scrap value, from a local shop.

With a little hunting, you should be able to find a really good, used EV
charger.  It should cost little or no more than you'd spend on 6 of your $14
baby chargers, and it will work MUCH better.

Good luck.

Thank you very much.  This truck is in fact a GM S-10E.  I was kind of afraid
that I would hear just about what you have told me.  As a first EV and not
knowing the condition of the electric system, I will be keeping my offer, as
you
said, to the value of a very low mileage glider.  A further question-what
kind of batteries would I be likely to find in this truck, and would protracted
storage without charging be likely to ruin the battery?  I feel that the truck
has been storage for quite some time because of the extrordinary low mileage.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I am going to build another e-boat motor. BLDC this time. I still have my FrankenMercII (#482 in the evalbum). But I want a new toy. I am located in NH and am looking for a seized outboard. Generally, I cut the end of the crankshaft off as an adapter, so a whole motor is nice. But one without engine is OK, too. A good lower unit is a necessity. I want 20+ hp rating so I can swing a bigger prop slowly. Any leads in the greater New England area?

I am also thinking about selling the Frankenmerc. With a different hull, I think it would plane at 48V. It will do 48V, 70A for quite a while. Nameplate is 48V, 50A for the sepex motor. But a plain series or PM controller will run it if you put a resistor in the field. Or do poor man's field weakening.

Thanks,

Seth

P.S. private e-mail is seth.allen3 <<<<at>>> verizon.net

Guys, I've been  charging my USB 8VGCHC just like I'm
supposed to, and I have electrolyte dripping out of a
couple of caps here & there.  Unfortunately, the worst
culprits are right above my adapter plate and motor!
   Obvious solution is to swap a battery there for one
that isn't weeping.  But what does it mean?  They're a
year old/3K miles on them!
Thanks,

'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V (video or DVD available)!
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

--- Begin Message --- I think it's missing the computer controller. My MC unit has three boxes: Paddle, HF to HF controller, and charge controller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8005594631

May not be all you need on-board...

Why is a 5 Watt zener needed?

Wouldn't a smaller one be sufficient?