  6) Re: Electronics 101 question
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Electronics 101 question
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: TS Undervoltage Detection
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Ovonic NiMH battery is available
 10) Re: Should I be concerned?
 11) Re: Ovonic NiMH battery is available
        by JonathanSmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) electric truck
        by Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) electric pickup
        by Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Suggestions on new Force
        by "Noel P. Luneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: electric pickup
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DC to DC
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Ovonic NiMH battery is available
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Ovonic NiMH battery is available
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: electric pickup
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) The bttery photos
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: electric pickup
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Electronics 101 question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Electronics 101 question
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) EV digest 4806 is Relatively Huge?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) RE: Crimp versus solder (was: Cable Crimping Tools)
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) EV Radio Interview -  Heads UP !
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: 180 V Circuit Breaker
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: DC to DC
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: An Enemy of my Enemy
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Buresh)
 30) RE: DC to DC
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bill Dennis wrote:
> Lee, I'm not sure where you're saying the RC filter would go.
> And how would the voltage drop across the resistor affect the
> circuit and its voltage sensing?

The resistor is directly in series with the battery, so if anything
fails in your circuit, it won't short the battery or start a fire. The
resistor will just burn open in a fraction of a second.

Yes, the resistor will cause a slight voltage drop; but not enough to
matter.

> Also, you mentioned using an LM10 to replace the LM-741 and REF-3012.
> I've studied the spec sheet on the LM10, but I can't figure out how
> to wire it so that it turns on below 2.8V. Can you give me some help?

Here's a quickie schmatic to give you the general idea. I haven't tested
it. Remember, you aren't paying anything for it, so that may be what
it's worth!

+ __/\/\________________________________
     R1   |    |                        |
  10 ohms |    > R2                     | V+
 1/4 watt |    > 130k                   | pin7
          |    >                        |
          |    |         LM10           |
          |    |______________________|\|
          |    > R3   ________________|+/ output  |
          |    > 10k |         | pin3 |/| pin6    > R4
          |    >     |____|\   |        |         > 10k
     C1 +_|_   |    pin8  |-\__|        |         >
   100uF ___   |      ____|+/  Vref     |        _|_   |/ collector
   25vdc  |    |  +__|__  |/   pin1     |       _\_/_  |
          |    |  -  |__________________| V-      |
          |    |                        | pin4    | H11A817C
- ________|____|________________________|_________| optocoupler

The LM10's internal reference drives the first opamp to put 200mv on pin
3. R2 and R3 form a voltage divider to put 200mv on pin 2 when the cell
voltage is 2.8v. When the cell voltage goes below 2.8v, pin2 is less
than pin3, so the output pin6 goes high, which turns on the LED.
--
Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong
reasons.

Edward Ang wrote:
Victor,

How many of these are you going to have?

As many as you need, but may not be in the same batch -
too heavy to haul all I need at once.

  What is the
weight?  I am interested in getting 16.

Ed Ang

38 to 40 lb each.

On Oct 11, 2005, at 12:24 PM, kluge wrote:

Okay, I've taken possession of the '76 Courier I'm going to attempt to revive (it was sitting in a back yard for three or four years, covered in leaves and bird droppings) and I hooked the 4001 Prestolite up to a 12V battery to see if it would run. It did - slowly at first, then picking up speed before settling down to what I would WAG to be about 500 RPM. The motor gave off a faint ticking sound, and also a faint squeak. Is this a bad thing? Will it go away? Will it self destruct? Should I be doing something about it before moving on to the other 232 items on my list?

It doesn't sound like a real problem, but it should be cleared up before the motor sees EV driving power levels. I suggest you buy a brush stone from one of the EV parts suppliers.

I recommend that you take a good look and the brushes, brush springs, and brush holders. You should be able to lift each brush a little bit by the pig tails - it should slide back smoothly and when you let go return to the comm with a click. Next, look at those brush springs, make sure none are broken and that any rusting is superficial. Now look at the comm, rotate the motor a bit so you can see all of it. It may look a bit ugly right now, with some corrosion (likely the clicking you are hearing.) With the motor running on 12 volts you gently stroke back and forth on the comm with the stone. In no time it should shine right up (the rpms will increase too.) Take it easy with this, all you want to do is see copper again - you are not trying to resize it. The motor will squeak a little as it spins down after you stone the comm until the brushes seat back in and give it a nice brown color.

Now provided the motor rotates smoothly you have brought the Prestolite back on line. If the motor does not turn smoothly its possible that you would need new bearings. They're tough, I bet it will be fine.

Paul "neon" G.

Thanks, Lee!  I understand everything except what that component is next to
the word 200mv.  Is that the built-in capacitor inside of the LM10?

Thanks again.

          |    > R3   ________________|+/ output  |
          |    > 10k |         | pin3 |/| pin6    > R4
          |    >     |____|\   |        |         > 10k
     C1 +_|_   |    pin8  |-\__|        |         >
   100uF ___   |      ____|+/  Vref     |        _|_   |/ collector
   25vdc  |    |  +__|__  |/   pin1     |       _\_/_  |
          |    |  -  |__________________| V-      |
          |    |                        | pin4    | H11A817C
- ________|____|________________________|_________| optocoupler

The LM10's internal reference drives the first opamp to put 200mv on pin
3. R2 and R3 form a voltage divider to put 200mv on pin 2 when the cell
voltage is 2.8v. When the cell voltage goes below 2.8v, pin2 is less
than pin3, so the output pin6 goes high, which turns on the LED.
--
Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong
reasons.
        -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Mark Grasser

Yes,

> Can I control this motor with a 12 volt PWM controller instead? I want to use this fan for main motor cooling and would like to be able to vary the speed. I was just wondering if this was an option instead of using the resistor/switch method.

Thanks

Dave Cover

At 12:51 PM 11/10/05 -0700, Dave Cover wrote:
Here's the scenario; I have a simple 12 volt defrost/heater fan from a car. To change speeds, the switch on the dash powers the fan through different resistors. Standard for most cars.

Can I control this motor with a 12 volt PWM controller instead? I want to use this fan for main motor cooling and would like to be able to vary the speed. I was just wondering if this was an option instead of using the resistor/switch method.

No problem

Here in Australia there are a couple of kit suppliers with a kit that does exactly that - 12 or 24V, 20A, PWM. Cheap and does the job. We built up one for a guy who is hauling fish up from the edge of the continental shelf - bypassed for full speed for the main haul, then slow-and-go as the hooks come up. Put LOTS of lacquer on that PCB!

I have a similar fan set up on my motor - test ran it with all bits together for the first time last weekend - got a pleasing amount of air out of the back end of the motor (pics can be found at http://jcmassey.gallery.netspace.net.au/Daihatsu-pics-01 ).

James
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Absolutely. Both limit the average current through the motor, but the resistor option wastes power as heat -- the PWM method is much more efficient.

You could easily cobble something together using an analog timer chip and an appropriately sized transistor.

Dave Cover wrote:
Or possibly Electricity 101.
Here's the scenario; I have a simple 12 volt defrost/heater fan from a car. To change speeds, the switch on the dash powers the fan through different resistors. Standard for most cars. Can I control this motor with a 12 volt PWM controller instead? I want to use this fan for main motor cooling and would like to be able to vary the speed. I was just wondering if this was an option instead of using the resistor/switch method. Thanks Dave Cover

Built-in voltage reference:

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM10.html

          |    > R3   ________________|+/ output  |
          |    > 10k |         | pin3 |/| pin6    > R4
          |    >     |____|\   |        |         > 10k
     C1 +_|_   |    pin8  |-\__|        |         >
   100uF ___   |      ____|+/  Vref     |        _|_   |/ collector
   25vdc  |    |  +__|__  |/   pin1     |       _\_/_  |
          |    |  -  |__________________| V-      |

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:26:00 -0700
From: Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Electronics 101 question

On 2005-10-11, Dave Cover wrote:

> The [fan] controller uses a 5k pot like my Zilla, but I don't
> want them to operate in parallel. [...]
> Another way would be to have some kind of temperature sensing
> mechanism that would increase the cooling with motor heat.

The simplest thing, I'd think, would be to use a temperature
switch and a trimpot so you can set an 'idle' speed for the fan
and when the temperature gets above the threshold temperature
the fan turns on 100%.  Or two temperature switches / two trimpots
for a three-stage fan.

Is the fan at maximum when the resistance is 0 or 5K?

-----sharks

Anyone know why some of the digests are so large?  Normally each digest is
around 50 kb -- I've been seeing some, like 4806, that are hundreds of kbytes.
I though attachments are automatically filtered out?

Thanks for ideas -- I'm on dialup alot of the time so it adds up :)
Robb

I do both.  You can crimp the terminal using a V block
and the round portion of a ball peen hammer.  I pound
until tight, then sweat the joint (with a tourch)
until no more solder enters the crimp.  Still using
the same cables I made 12 years ago with flooded
leads.
Jimmy
--- Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting,
> but does not solve the problems when soldering:
> - brittle or molten insulation
> - uncertain solder flow causing either not all
> strands
>    to be connected or solder flowing too far into
> the cable
>    causing a weak point where the cable is more
> stressed.
>
> I'll be crimping, even though I have been soldering
> all my life
> as I know the above problems when soldering
> first-hand.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private:
> http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD#
> 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3673     eFAX: +31-84-717-9972
> Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-501-641-8576
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This is mostly for our local group, but I know some folks need to know in the Wider EV World..

Had a conference with about a dozen radio and TV program producers about 2 week ago. The POINT of the meeting was to introduce to the Producers various Local Experts in various topics, which might be interesting to Program Directors.

I was but ONE... But it has already bore 'children' as it were.... For I had an interview this a.m. with KMPS-FM Radio this a.m. which will air on October 23ard between 7 am and 8 am.
Their Freq.  for folks in the Pacific NW  IS....   94.1 on the FM dile.

Be there or be square.......

PS:  Every minute of FREE air time is worth.. What  $ Thousands...??

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

James,
I measured the clamp and as shown in the picture and
it is 6 inches tall, the copper bars are 1.0 inch wide
x .25 thk.  Actually the clamp in the voltbuggy is
around 5 inches tall.  These clamps come in all shapes
and sizes.  They can be expensive unless you find some
in a surplus store.
Jimmy

--- James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 07:34 PM 10/10/05 -0700, Jimmy wrote:
> >To answer your questions James, I did test the
> switch.
> >  In racing you have to be able to disconnect a
> runaway
> >motor in the event of a crash (a short will blow
> the
> >fuse). I tested it several times at a minimum of
> 300
> >amps, 144 volts.  There was a nice blue arc every
> >time, just as one would expect - unless you have it
> >submerged in a non conductive/inert gas or liquid.
> >The switch performed well after the tests and I
> have
> >been using it for 12 years.  (You can see the
> vehicle
> >at http://www.dm3electrics.com/ the switch is
> sticking
> >out of the hood - driver side.)
>
> Hi Jimmy - and all.
>
> How big is it? There was no frame of reference in
> the photos apart from the
> welding. If it is capable of that performance, then
> it must be
> substantially bigger than I picture it to be. The
> photos on your web site
> are not clear enough to get a real idea of the size,
> but I can see from the
> slot in the hood that it must be quite big.
>
> I pictured something that would be good for a 12V
> system, and your comment
> about 'beating other racers' to me implied ICE
> racing.
>
> Could you give more detail on what it is made from?
> [please don't say
> something like "an XYZ from Home Depot" since the
> nearest Home Depot is
> several thousand miles away for me]. It is the type
> of home-made gadgetry
> that appeals to me, and if it works reliably and
> safely, then great!
>

> Regards
>
> James
> [1978 Daihatsu 1300kg cab/chassis truck under
> conversion to electric]

Search e-bay for Lambda (sometimes listed as
lamda)power supplies. Most can handle AC or DC and
have multiple currents available at 12 or 15 volts.
Sometimes around $10.
Jimmy

--- "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The big question I have is why would you want to
> spend $359 on a converter
> that can only put out only 20 amps?  I would think
> the draw is much more
> than that.  I have seen some people put alternators
> on their conversions.
> Do they really draw down the motor that much or is
> it an effeciency thing?

Bravo!

--
Chris Buresh
St. Paul, MN

> [...]
> standardized or universal conversion kit for people.  Impossible, we have
> always
> had a passion for the cars we drive and this list shows that EV’ers are no
> different, and in fact may be even more passionate.
>

> As far as my interest into daily drivers I’m hoping that the conversion on
> Doug
> Weathers variable adjust brush rigging will allow him to time his motor to
> his
> cars system for the best range / performance possible (he chooses) allowing
> him
> to make small adjustment to see what degree of advancement his system will
> need
> to run its best.
>

> I will end with this.  Yet again I had a new customer come by today and
> although
> I was unable to help him (busted starter yoke) I asked him “you wanna see
> something cool?”
>
> As we walked into the shop I asked him ever hear of EV racing?  Yeah he says,
> saw a PGE thingy once…  No I said check this out and plopped a Zombie pic
> out.
> I was then able to show him the twin armatures all pretty still on the lathe.
>
> I’ve always wanted to build an electric he says as he promises to stop back
> in
> soon.
>

> We all have a common enemy as we are stuck in a world that has it’s head up
> it’s
> a$$ (sorry).  In 24 years I’ve had just 6 motors come through my shop
> intended
> for an EV.  Just one guy came back to show me the end results.  Meeting John
> and
> connecting to this group has given me a tool that I can now use to show
> others.
> Their first conversion is up to them.
>
> Our first car will be a racer but I will have pamphlets that people can take
> home leading them to all the options and services available to new EV
> seedlings,
> and a plaque card with the cars FAQ’s so that people to shy to ask might at
> least read.  This also might free my time for more informative discussion
> than
> just the basics.  Anyway here’s hoping we all know who the enemy is.  This
> post
> is not to berate, but to unify all that you all are!  As for me I like a
> little
> human interest with the story telling and all.  Others may not.  I care not
> if
> I‘m clicked or trashed as I came here to help, learn, and hopefully have a
> little fun while doing it.
>
> Thank you for listening.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torq

>  Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

He asked for a DC-DC converter, not the power
supply. I suppose you understand the difference.
Why bother with something for $10 or even
for free if it won't do the job?

Victor