  1) Re: DC to DC
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: What tailshaft is appropriate for a motor RPM sensor?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Contactor microswitches
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: What tailshaft is appropriate for a motor RPM sensor?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC to DC
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DC to DC
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) idea in need of comments/criticism
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) RE: idea in need of comments/criticism
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: idea in need of comments/criticism
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: What tailshaft is appropriate for a motor RPM sensor?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: idea in need of comments/criticism
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: idea in need of comments/criticism
        by Travis Raybold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: idea in need of comments/criticism
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: idea in need of comments/criticism
        by "Tim Medeck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DC to DC
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: NiMH charging.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: DC to DC
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: NiMH charging.
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: NiMH charging.
        by Shawn Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:16:58 -0700 (PDT), Dave Cover
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I too have been looking and I've seen a few products that look interesting.
>Some of these say they are built to military spec, but does this really mean
>anything? Is there a military standard I could look for that would indicate a
>better chances of survival? Or is this just sales hype?

No.  Mil spec parts are generally superior but not always.  The
extended temperature range of the semiconductor components is usually
the biggest difference and in some cases, radiation hardening.  For
smaller parts, the production is tested and selected for mil spec
parameters.  The xxx54 vs xxx74 xxxTTL parts, for example.

For other parts, there may or may not be a difference.  Many modern
switchers and DC/DC converters use high temperature electrolytic caps,
for example, that aren't much different than mil spec parts.

The big difference is that in order to be a QPL part (qualified
product list), a specified amount of sampling and testing must be done
on the part.  This dramatically raises the part cost, generally by a
factor of from 4 to 8 times.  For instance, the last Navy contract I
worked on, a simple 25 watt 5 volt power supply cost in excess of $500
in volume quantities.

True automotive spec parts are generally even more rugged than mil
spec parts, though the same degree of testing is not done.  The max
temperature for a non-space rated component is generally 125 deg C.
GM's spec for under-hood components is 140 deg C.

Despite the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) spread by Victor and
some others, modern DC/DC converters are extremely reliable, provided
they are located in a place appropriate for the packaging.  A fully
vented chassis is not suitable for under-hood use, for instance.
Citing 20 year old Todds and the like is, um, how should I say this,
not very representative of modern products.

I recommend Astrodyne and Progressive Dynamics because I have long
term good experience with both, in the case of Astrodyne, decades of
experience.  I like what I see in Iota products but my experience is
lacking.  Lambda is generally top-drawer but I usually buy other
brands because IMHO, the cost premium isn't worth it.

John

>Thanks
>
>Dave Cover
>
>Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Car stereos and radar detectors *are* built to work in cars. Not under
>the hood, of course; but they do have to put up with temperature
>extremes and condensation.
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Hello Eric,

A spacer adapter would work, but it would set on the bearing housing that has
about 1/4 inch rise from the surface of the face of the motor and about 3
inches in diameter.

I don't know if you can drill and tap this area.  If you made the spacer
adapter about 4 inches in diameter which will slip down over this 1/4 inch rise
down against the motor face, you could install set screws in the side of the
adapter which could tighten against this rise section.

This unit should look very good.