  1) RE: NiMH charging.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: FW: DC to DC **PLEASE CLOSE THREAD**
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Civility (was: DC to DC)
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: FW: DC to DC **PLEASE CLOSE THREAD**
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Civility (was: DC to DC)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: FW: DC to DC **PLEASE CLOSE THREAD**
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by reb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: NiMH charging.
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Challenging Drive, feeling better
        by "Christopher Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: NiMH charging.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: NiMH charging.
        by Shawn Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) ETEK parts
 17) Radiant Heaters
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Challenging Drive, feeling better
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Peanut Gallery was: DC to DC **PLEASE CLOSE THREAD**
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Radiant Heaters
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: NiMH charging.
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: individual battery monitor (data logger)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Challenging Drive
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As SAFT, I should really qualify people first making sure
> they can charge correctly.

> And, no, chargers are not part of the package and I'm
> thinking of making it that way - BRUSA chargers loaded with
> correct profiles will be the match. I'll test it and will see
> if I should suggest having correct charging as a rule.
> Perhaps discounting the batteries as long as the
> preprogrammed charger is bought with them could be wise incentive.
>
> What is you all's opinion?

SAFT has a vested interest in ensuring that their batteries will be
properly treated because they have a battery warranty to honour; unless
you plan to warranty these batteries (an unwise move, IMHO) I don't see
that you have any reason to force any particular charger or algorithm on
the battery purchasers.  For instance, these modules are what were used
in NiMH Solectria Forces; would you refuse to sell a NiMH Force owner
batteries to replace his present pack unless he buys a new Brusa charger
from you at the same time?  Do you plan to evaluate every potential
buyer's charger and/or algorithm for suitability before accepting a
purchase from them?

Offering a discount on a package deal of batteries + Brusa charger would
seem to me to be quite a generous act.  I would caution that if you do
so, you make sure it is clear that you are not implying that the battery
performance is in any way guaranteed simply because you are proviiding a
charger with what you believe to be a good charge algorithm for the
batteries.

> Proper charging consists of dV/dt detection and tracking Ah +
> the temp, so, sorry simple timed CC/CV thing won't cut it
> (like PFC charger as is, without external brains).

Does this mean that you have located an algorithm specification for
these cells?  Are you going to share it with the rest of us?

I would caution against the reliance upon of any sort of dV/dt criteria
with a long string of cells.  Ah tracking and temp limits are definitely
wise.  I doubt that even the mighty Brusa has enough temperature sensor
inputs to be able to rely on temperature rise as a termination criteria.
Cobasys/Ovonics literature states that once the cell is full all charge
energy goes into increasing the cell pressure and temperature, and even
though the cells are steel cased and strapped tightly together I noticed
that there could be obvious differences in temperature between cells in
the same module while on charge (even at very modest 5A rates).  This
suggests to me that you would need at least a temperature sensor per
module to even have a hope of detecting an overheating cell in time to
prevent it from venting.