  1) Re: Challenging Drive
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) R:Current Eliminator News  Ranked 3rd in Az Super pro division.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: R:Current Eliminator News  Ranked 3rd in Az Super pro division.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: White Zombie to Attempt the 11's this Friday Night!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Peanut Gallery
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Challenging Drive, feeling better
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Charging off peak vs Battery life
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Charging off peak vs Battery life
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Charging off peak vs Battery life
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Introduction
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: rotary engine for generator
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: White Zombie to Attempt the 11's this Friday Night!
        by "karmann_electric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Charging off peak vs Battery life
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: R:Current Eliminator News  Ranked 3rd in Az Super pro division.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Calling on Ford Ranger EV owers and experienced personel.(long)
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) 1/8-Inch End Plates
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: 1/8-Inch End Plates
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: White Zombie to Attempt the 11's this Friday Night!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- But 1 deg over 22 inches (diameter of the tire) is a bit more then 3/8 inch. That's a lot.

In a fine tunes and tight suspension you can go for as close as possible to 0.00 inches or strait on if you would. The typical SCCA racing junkie would put as little toe in as possible .

That's right Ben.
There's a good chance that the units John gave for toe-in settings should
have been expressed as DEGREES and not INCHES. 3/4 to 1 degree sounds more
reasonable.
Richard

 Date:  10/14/05 3:38:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 We are still ranked 3rd in the ADRA points battle.This is the super pro
class
 where the best bracket racers in arizona race.(also be aware that the
 Division 7 NHRA champoniship was won by the racers I am racing tonight) The
race is
 at Speedworld in Witman tonight.   CREWING TONIGHT    Jim Ludicker the 2nd
 quickest EV driver in the World,     Dennis Berube   PS possible 60ft.ride
in top
 alki funny car,3 more passes and I will have a top alki NHRA lice.  Full
pass
 secud.OCT 22 at Speedworld 6 something. >>
^^ CE went 3 passes last nite, enough to retain 3rd place for 2005 against
the best bracket racing ICEs in Div.7 from California to Texas.CE ran .005 off
its dial, my .040 lite put me on the trailer.     No alki ride last nite so
back to seting the clutch on oct 22.              Dennis Berube    Next weekend
brings a $1000 race........

First I realize this is not the Ford Ranger Group. But
I need some informational help from experienced people
and the Ford Ranger groups do not seem as informed as
this group is. This post is for those either with
experience specifically on the Ford Ranger EV
commercially produced.

I am about to drop the dead battery pack on a 1999
Ford Ranger EV.  And I know the following:
The pack voltage is dead.
39 AGM 8v 65 Ahr Delphi batteries in it. Weight
roughly 2500 lbs. Hooked up in series for 312Vdc pack.

Rear connector is power to drive system

Passenger front connector appears to be from Charging
system.

Now for unknowns yet!
Front Driver side connector. Dozen odd wires coming
out and where it goes.

Voltage requirements for following:
Air conditioning drive motor
Water Cooling drive motor
Power Steering Drive motor
Vacuum booster pump
Cabin electrical requirement for onboard computer
(presently assuming that is 12 volts from auxiliary
battery.
Voltage input to Lamda DC/DC.

Don't know what is in voled with BMS system.

What the present plans are include the following.
Drop the pack to diagnose the issue with it. Suspect
battery rupture as smoke poured out of it during last
drive. Or a loose connection splitting a post. However
it has been sitting almost 3 years so there is
probably little hope there is anything left of the
original pack.
Plan for build of a new pack. Suspect we will have to
build a new pack for it. This will mean redesign of
the pack itself with a probable need of a new Charging
and BMS system unless someone on this list knows how
to change the present system to accomidate a different
battery system. There is also the issue with the
unknowns above we working with.
What I really desire is a shop manual which I have
been unsuccessful in acquiring. Or what someone else
has done to bring their truck back to life. And yes I
know about the pack exchange program but have an issue
with both the price and the lack of warranty and
upgrade-ability with those people.
You ask a question of that company and you get send us
the pack you just hurt yourself working on it. I am
sorry I am an Electronic tech and work on 480Vac Water
heaters and 150 KW ion implanters without issue so
what is issue with a 312Vdc pack.

Anyway back to my problem. I intend to bring this
truck back to life with or without assistance. If I
have to rip the whole electrical out and rewire it I
will. But I would prefer to leave it intact and
rebuild the pack. Just to get another EV on the road
again.
Thanks again for all the information: I am assisting a
friend to get his truck running. He bought this from
ASU and it was running when he bought it. However the
pack died and he wants it back up and running but
doesn't know anything about.

I've got some 1/8-inch aluminum.  Would that be thick enough to be the end
plates that hold 5 TS cells to keep them from expanding?

Thanks.

At 07:04 AM 10/15/2005, Bill Dennis wrote:
I've got some 1/8-inch aluminum.  Would that be thick enough to be the end
plates that hold 5 TS cells to keep them from expanding?

Seems a bit thin. The ones I have are more like 1/4" thick, with 4 straps around the batteries to the end plates.

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....

It's the day after racing report....

Jay wrote:

Well, it wasn't to be.
Guess that pretty much covers it. I had written:

Friday has rain predicted, but the cold weather front is not supposed to come in until later in the evening. Tim and I 'should' be off work a few hours earlier than normal. If the track opens at 5:00 pm, we'll be there in line to get in on time. For now, it's still sunny and warm (for October in Oregon).

Indeed, Friday's weather was fabulous, sunny and right near 70 degrees for most of the day. Tim and I started work early and were both scheduled to be off before 3:00. As I wrenched on a Crown electric stock picker outdoors, my last job of the day, the blue sky punctuated with scattered clouds had me pumped about being able to race on a dry track, and I was thinking the weather guys had messed up with their gloomy forecast. However, as the clock spun closer to the 2:30 mark, a cool wind picked up rustling the Fall leaves...hmmmm. By the time I had the machine delivered back to the customer and with Velvet Revolver ponding my head as I cleaned up and put away my tools, the sky was darkening and a mass of unfriendly clouds had displaced the sunshine...how could a beautiful warm day go away so quickly? Fall in Oregon!

Tim and I were in radio contact, he heading west approaching his home about 30 miles away near the town of St. Helens, I heading east towards Plasma Central on the freeway system in my service truck. Calls were made to the PIR track, who gave the go-ahead for Friday night racing, but with the warning that they may have to shut down if needed. As Tim was talking about all things electric, a work service van passed in the lane to my right while another work truck passed on the lane to my immediate right. The one on the left had signage that read 'Stoner Electric' (great name, dude) while the big Ford on the right read 'Oregon Electric Group'. What are the odds?

Marko Mongillo had also gotten off work early and was headed to meet up with Tim and I at my house. As we opened up the shop to ready the Zombie and load up the service truck with chargers, cords, and all the other items we take to the track, a small family situation had unfolded right on cue to pull me away from racing stuff for nearly an hour. I needed to refocus to help resolve things, and left with my wife who had also gotten off work early. We got everything handled, crisis over, and when we arrived back to the EV juice bar, there was White Zombie on the street, there was the service truck properly loaded and ready to go, and there were my two friends who, just as I knew they would do, had taken care of business. It's really great to be associated with top quality guys like Tim and Marko!

It was fun watching the two of them pile into that little white car, excited about the fun drive to the track and 'hopefully' a dry night of racing. As we rolled along, the Zombie in the lead with me trailing in the service truck, sitting higher up and with that big panoramic view out the Isuzu's large windshield, I had a clear view of the dash mounted Emeter's bright red LED display and could watch the pack voltage...nifty. Heading west on Marine Drive towards the track, it was 5:30-ish (gates opened at 6:00) so we were still on schedule, but so was the weather front. The skies above us were now foreboding, the huge river to our right was choppy, and rain drops were dotting the windshield. Nonetheless, it was cool to watch White Zombie cruise along at 45 mph with orange, red, and gold leaves twirling in the vortices created by the electric sedan. I could also see arms flying about in the car as Tim and Marko were obviously having a lively conversation in a fun male bonding thing. There was still hope of dry racing, as I could see clear skies to the west and south of this dark mass above us, so onward we drove.

With the threatening weather, competition for space in the staging lanes was minimal...Wayland was uncharacteristically early to the strip, and it paid off.

How true. The track was our oyster, with perhaps 20 cars there, a far cry from the 150-200 cars that usually show up!

Tim Brehm had already boiled the hides and produced a solid run in the mid 12's before we arrived.
I'd say upper 12's, but I have the advantage of the time slips in hand. Yes, it was shaping up to be a solid run at the 11's. The car usually makes a low 13 on the first pass of the night, then as the batteries do their electro-chemical thing and heat up and get agitated with each heavy discharge an recharge cycle, the car dips into the high 12's, then mid 12's etc. This time, the very first pass was a 12.805 @ 97.16 mph. The cold track was definitely an issue, but the new longer traction bars seemed to make up for the loss of stick and Tim bagged a nice 1.687 60 ft. time. No lift off at launch though and the front tires stayed on the ground as the rear tires failed to hook up as they squealed and spun. Oh yeah, and Tim blew off a late 60's V8 Chevy Impala in the process.

conditions were obviously against us tonight
Yup. After the light rain temporarily stopped, the racing resumed and we got the second and last pass of the night in, a 12.713 @ 99.73 mph. The 1.682 60 ft. time was nearly identical to the previous one. That was it, folks...it started to rain hard after that.... time to pack it up for the night :-(

On the positive side, this was the first time we started off in the 12's, and considering the very poor track conditions, it seems the new traction bars we made did the trick. We were able to maintain killer 60 ft. times even without the sticky bite a warmer rubber coated track brings. The car had considerable wheel spin, and even barked the tires on the series-to-parallel upshift, and yet we ran 12's....not too shabby. There's not too much doubt in my mind, that had the track been better and had we been able to keep running, we on on target for that elusive high 11. Will we get another window of opportunity before the season ends the first weekend of November?

Thanks to  Jeff and Jay for the support. The post racing dinner was fun!

See Ya...John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com