  1) Re: Batteries from China
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Another attempt at electric-powered helicopters...
        by "Tim Stephenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: 1/8-Inch End Plates
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Possible Conversion
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) index EV
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Liquid cooling package now available
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: [RAV4-EV] FW: CALSTART's Conference in LA Dec. 1st
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Charging off peak vs Battery life
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) CALSTART's Conference in LA Dec. 1st
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Charging off peak vs Battery life
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Liquid cooling package now available
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Liquid cooling package now available
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Jet Electrica
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) NO ATTACHMENTS PLEASE (was:  K&W BC-20 Opperation)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Peanut Gallery
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: rotary engine for generator/2 stoke diesel
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: 1/8-Inch End Plates - TS cells
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: PFC-30 Wanted
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: more name calling from John
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: PFC-30 Wanted
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Liquid cooling package now available
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Liquid cooling package now available
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Liquid cooling package now available
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Current Eliminator News  Ranked 3rd in Az Super pro division.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Fet Switch (for heater etc)
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Fet Switch (for heater etc)
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Curtis Sepex Regen Tweak
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: more name calling from John
        by mreish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) 2 renault le car R5 - pretty complete rust free cars
 30) Exide Floodeds vs AGM
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Any comments on Hall effect throttle controls?
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: Fet Switch (for heater etc)
I've probably been by the factory three or four times!!!!

Batteries from China, everything I've read tells me not to.

Mark Grasser
Subject: Batteries from China

Does anyone know anything about this company or their
products?

http://www.chiway-battery.com

Jimmy

http://www.comics.com/creators/ballardst/archive/ballardst-20051003.html

Subject: RE: 1/8-Inch End Plates
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:30:27 +1000
From: "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

I've used 3mm Al plate (about 1/8") with M6 threaded bar for end plates
and side straps.
(to squeeze TS batts into extra nooks and crannies :-)

Here's some early construction pics.
http://www.thefowlers.homeip.net/EClubman-all/target115.html
http://www.thefowlers.homeip.net/EClubman-all/target118.html

Mark, that is a tight squeeze. Do you ever see the batteries swell on charge?
What size cable did you use for the interconnects? How much current does it
carry? Does the cable get warm?

Thanks,

Dave Cover

Ah yes, and I agree. The 914 tends to be more flexible. That's one
reason I got a hard roof, rather than a targa top, to get a stronger,
more rigid vehicle.

--- Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry, my big time screw up, i was talking about the
> 914.  Yikes!

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

index EV

Ok Ryan... I want one.

Money or trade???

I will test it out on the 75K...

But... supply me with pump specs...GPM...head pressues,  Radiator BTU... and
GPM numbers. What's the peak  temp we can run the pump and radiator at?

$159... and  you can make a profit??? I am impressed.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:30:27 +1000
From: "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

I've used 3mm Al plate (about 1/8") with M6 threaded bar for end plates
and side straps.
(to squeeze TS batts into extra nooks and crannies :-)

Here's some early construction pics.
http://www.thefowlers.homeip.net/EClubman-all/target115.html
http://www.thefowlers.homeip.net/EClubman-all/target118.html

Mark, that is a tight squeeze. Do you ever see the batteries swell on
charge? What size cable did you use for the interconnects? How much
current does it carry? Does the cable get warm?

Thanks,

Dave Cover

Robb...
PFC30 don't devaule much...
Most owners value them too much for just exactly what the do the best.

Make a lot of watts for thier size.
Keeping these on the shelf has not been a easy task.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

 Date:  10/15/05 10:06:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Cameron)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 I am "not up to speed" on the drag racing scene.  It sounds impressive, but
 I am unsure what it all means.

 Are you racing against ICE vehicles?
 ^^Yes only racing against ice vehicles that are not street cars but
trailered to the track.Also in my class altereds and dragsters that run down to
7.50
et in the qt.mi.^^
 How many other vehicles are in your class?
^^ Nearly 50 vehicles started the class in 05^^Many others race in this class
for just the money to be won.^^
 Is the ADRA a big event?
 ^^ADRA is arizonas largest drag racing group with the best bracket racers
attending from all over the state.^^
 Are the 1st and 2nd ranked cars ICE vehicles or EVs?
 ^^ #1 an 2 are ice cars as well as all the others ranked under the Current
Eliminator^^
 thanks
 Don

 Victoria, BC, Can >>

I was thinking of using a Fet switch, (cheaper & smaller than a contactor with
mag blowouts) for controlling the 20A max heater in my EV.  I think for safety
it would operate from the main engage contactor running the DC-DC and the gate
switch controlled from the access (12V ignition on) key switch.  IR has some
good TO-247 high current Fets that look good, cheaper & smaller than a dorky
contactor.

Have a nice day, Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Sure! Just a couple of things to keep in mind. How will you control the gate with the 12v source? The 12v source is grounded whereas the pack voltage is not.

Look for a low "rds-on" device. It may not need to be a large package or require a heatsink if the I2R losses are low enough. If it comes down to it, multiple packages in parallel are cheaper and much easier to design than a heatsink.

Be sure to include a flyback diode across the drain and source.

Danny

Mark Hanson wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking of using a Fet switch, (cheaper & smaller than a contactor with mag blowouts) for controlling the 20A max heater in my EV. I think for safety it would operate from the main engage contactor running the DC-DC and the gate switch controlled from the access (12V ignition on) key switch. IR has some good TO-247 high current Fets that look good, cheaper & smaller than a dorky contactor.
Have a nice day, Mark

Hi, not sure if this got through, but I was curious if anyone with regen has
had this problem and how to disable regen on the accelerator peddle so I can
coast when releasing the accelerator peddle.  Apparently they are trying to
simulate an ICE drag but on an EV it's inefficient.

Also is "Electric Vehicle Power Systems" from Syracuse NY the same as
Advance DC motors?

Thanks, Mark

> Howdy,
>
> I would like to disable the regen on the accelerator peddle that
automatically occurs when I release my foot off the peddle.  It also makes
the motor hot and I don't think is as efficient as coasting.  I want to
leave the brake peddle regen though.  It's a Curtis Model 1509-0202,
72V,300A serial 8132 1306, part no. 2088 for Bombardier 99' nev. The motor
is a "Electric Vehicle Power Systems" I guess not ADC from Syracuse, NY 7"
diam, 12" long model CB7 4002 serial 147 made 9/4/97.  Does anyone know how
to disable the accel-release  accelerator peddle regen?

>   I was thinking of adding a bias pot to the wiper of the accel peddle and
tweaking it till it stopped regen, but it seams like it's either motoring or
regen, either pushing or pulling, no in between.

Neon John wrote:
 Yes, panty-wetters, you can consider this a little abrasive.

Again John cannot make a disagreement point without making a disparaging comment along with it. Now he openly mocks the list moderators...

Sorry Ken but what I read from John's message was frustration. That's the very reason I (and a few others I've spoken to face to face) don't contribute much to this list.

The Electric Motorcycle Portal
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/

Electric Motorcycle Listserv
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/listserv.php

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/104408185.html Free for the towing & in San Francisco CA.
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
I know I have beat this horse to death already, but I need some more opinions
here.

I haven't committed totally to my choice of a battery pack.  I have made sure
my battery box is capable of supporting and maintainence of either AGM's or
flooded, whichever I end up going with. Box is now finished except the Rhino
coat on the inside and I am good to go on that.

I have heard a lot of pros and cons, the AGM's of course being a lot better on
weight, delivered current,  required maintenance, etc, downside pickiness on
charging, extra cost intitially and pricey chargers, regulators, etc.

I have been looking at some Exide Stowaway batteries which would fit my system,
are priced well and readily available. Some are rated at 80ah.  Their big
brothers are 105 and 200ah respectively.  Of course the real big ones are huge
as well.  Of course I know these AH ratings have a lot of variables in how they
are described.

So my question is....compared to AGM's which rate about 50ah, in the same
vehicle, won't any of the floodeds deliver better range at a sacrifice of
performance?

A lot of arguments are made both ways here about the low cost per mile on
floodies, the performance of AGM's, etc.  In my case I already have some losses
due to my automatic transmission and won't want to end up with a car that only
goes 10 miles on a charge.  This won't do at all with the cost of the
conversion.  The cost per mile using AGM's seems a lot higher if part of your
objective is beating the cost of gasoline.  I need 20-25 miles minimum.

The other factor is I can go with a Zivan charger, which was my initial choice
and no big hassles other than the periodic maintenance required.

Mark Ward
95 Saab 900SE "Saabrina"
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The impression that I get is "hall effect better than potentiometer," which would seem to jive with my experiences with potentiometers; specifically, dirty potentiometers. Can anyone clarify:

1) Are HE throttles always "better?"

2) Will any HE throttle work with a Zilla controller? Otmar? What about these: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttles.html

3) Frankly, the throttles mentioned in #2 seem awfully cheap -- anyone have experience with their reliability, or can anyone recommend a HE twist throttle?

Mark Hanson wrote:
> I was thinking of using a Fet switch, (cheaper & smaller than a
> contactor with mag blowouts) for controlling the 20A max heater
> in my EV.

Besides the obvious specs on voltage and current ratings, size, and
cost, you need something that is isolated, reliable (won't fail "on"),
and won't generate too much heat.

Relays are the obvious solution. For only 20 amps, you don't need a huge
contactor. Depending on your pack voltage, a $5 or $10 relay is enough.
Include an RC "snubber" across the contacts and a diode across the coil,
and you're done.

MOSFETs are a good high-tech solution if you can afford a DC solid-state
relay (it's all built for you), or if you have the time and experience
to design one yourself. But I would caution you that it's trickier than
it looks. Naive design and poor construction will produce something that
costs more and is less reliable than the relay. The key difficulties
are:

 - providing isolation
 - ensuring that it won't fail "on"
 - isolating the heatsink so there aren't any "live" exposed parts
 - sealing it up so water, dirt, bugs, etc. can't get in
 - overvoltage protection (so it won't fail from voltage transients)
 - overcurrent protection (so it won't fail from excessive current)
 - overtemperature protection (so if won't fail if it gets too hot)

Look up some circuits for solid-state DC relays to get an idea of what
is required. Better yet, look at some actual relays to see how they are
built. Learn from them, and copy them.
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten