  1) Re: Fet Switch (for heater etc) ; Also, Relay Question [maybe OT]
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Backup generator or true hybrid
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Low loss lubricant for EV gearbox
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: motor selection - am I missing something?
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Fet Switch (for heater etc) ; Also, Relay Question  [maybe OT]
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Backup generator or true hybrid
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Low loss lubricant for EV gearbox
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: chevy s--10 us electricar for sale
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Fwd: motor selection - am I missing something?
        by Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: motor selection - am I missing something? - correction
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Fet Switch (for heater etc) ; Also, Relay Question [maybe OT]
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Low loss lubricant for EV gearbox
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) greetings, Reverse idea/question
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: PVC Box or something ?
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: motor selection - am I missing something? - correction
        by Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Fet Switch (for heater etc) ; Also, Relay Question  [maybe OT]
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) 2 cars, 4 options.
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: greetings, Reverse idea/question
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Liquid cooling - reservoir or no reservoir (thermal expansion,
 etc)
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Electric drag racing Science Channel, 8PM EST
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Liquid cooling - reservoir or no reservoir (thermal expansion, etc)
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: PVC Box or something ?
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Charger woes  :-(
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Liquid cooling for Zilla: reasons
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:12:06 -0400

Note that both catalogs list the inexpensive relays with a mechanical
life of 10,000,000 mechanical operations and 100,000 operations at
rated current.

But even if they only lasted 10k cycles as Lee claimed, that would be
OK.  Consider that 2 cycles a day, every day would mean the relay
would last for 137 years. 20 cycles a day (maybe a heater under
thermostat control) would still mean almost 14 years.  BFD.

You're off by a factor of 10. At 2 cycles a day, 10K cycles would be 13.7 years and at 20 cycles a day would be 1.37 years( or, about 16 months).

Phil

Are there any issues with the trailer trying to jacknife with the car?  I
would think that a trailer behind me with a mind of its own would scare the
crap out of me.  How do you throttle it up and down?  Is there an automatic
safety disconnect that kills the engine if the trailer comes off the car?

From: Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: October 19, 2005 3:58:40 PM PDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: motor selection - am I missing something?

Hi All,
I'm trying to decide between the Solectria AC55 and Siemens 5133W18 motors
(and MES - please send efficiency specs if you have them)

My primary requirement for the vehicle is an 80 mile range. I'm using 26
80AH (1AHR) AGM batteries and looking for the most efficient
motor/controller. Considering the trip takes 90 minutes, my batteries should
be able to provide 51 amps for 90 minutes assuming 80% DOD excluding gains
from regen and losses from hills.
(80AH 1AH Rating * 0.80 (DOD) * 60/90 (90 minute run)) = 51 amps

[...]

Does any of this make sense?
-Robert Baertsch

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:28:54 -0400, "Phil Marino"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>From: Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>>Subject: Re: Fet Switch (for heater etc) ; Also, Relay Question  [maybe OT]
>>Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:12:06 -0400
>

>>Note that both catalogs list the inexpensive relays with a mechanical
>>life of 10,000,000 mechanical operations and 100,000 operations at
>>rated current.
>>
>>But even if they only lasted 10k cycles as Lee claimed, that would be
>>OK.  Consider that 2 cycles a day, every day would mean the relay
>>would last for 137 years. 20 cycles a day (maybe a heater under
>>thermostat control) would still mean almost 14 years.  BFD.
>>
>You're off by a factor of 10.  At 2 cycles a day, 10K cycles would be 13.7
>years and at 20 cycles a day would be 1.37 years( or, about 16 months).

Erp!  Sorry about that.  I use Excel as my simple calculator.  I
looked back and see that I typed an extra zero when I did the 5000/365
division.  I just hate it when I do that!

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN

In a message dated 10/19/2005 3:49:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< A lot of late model Ford pickups used ATF in their manual transmissions. >>

Those transmissions are designed to run on thin oil.

I put ATF in a Porche 924 trans (without the friction modifiers John
mentioned) and it was toast shortly thereafter.
There was a long thread a few years back about this, and if I recall
correctly, the consensus at the time was that Redline brand synthetic was very
frugal
without risking the switch to thinner lube. Someone had whrs/mile numbers from
a small Ford truck EV that convinced me, and I've been using it since then.
Anyone remember who that was?
Anyhow, hope this helps,
Ben

Greetings.
I just got interested in EV's, though I do recall
reading the Mother Earth article when it came out way back.

Naturally, I have lots of questions, but I thought
I would start with a deposit before making withdrawals.

(it may be meager though... :-)

I saw an article that talked about the benefits of
using the original transmission, one being that
the manufacturer included Reverse in it for free...
and that to do THAT with a DC car requires extra
contactors which are expensive.

I understand why you need contactors, for completing
the drive circuit, but I was thinking you might be able
to save the Reverse contactors using a trick from
Bell Labs.   "Last century" they perfected the idea
of a switch with external contactors.  The whole circuit
is built with simple (not cheap) relays.   The last
step is basically contactors, that's where the spark is.
All the other relays are babied, protected from the spark.
The contactors then need to be replacable/disposable/rebuildable.

In our context, I was thinking you could reverse by
having a way to open the main contactors, have a smalller
relay to swap +/-, sort of like a so-called 4-way light switch.
All you would need is a way to ensure that this reverse
button isn't used while the drive circuit is powered.

If all of the above is of any value, I could
think more about it.  There are electronic and mechanical
ways of forcing you to shut the main before reversing.

Imagine an ad, "Fully electronic Reverse gear".
Of course, this is irrelevant if the controller offers
that ability, or in the case of A/C motors.

Seth

I've got my hairball, shunt, contactor, DC/DC converter and two fuse blocks in
a custom made alluminum box under the hood. I have it where the top easily
slides under a flange and the other end is held in with a latch. Rubber
grommets are in every place where wires are going in or out, but it's not 100%
weather sealed, however it would easily survive a spritz down. It got it's
first test yesterday in some decent rain (it doesn't rain in Arizona much), and
so far so good.

Not sure you'd necessarily need air flow through it, but it wouldn't hurt. In
my case the alluminum acts like a big heat spreader. The only thing that gets
really hot is the DC/DC, and it seems to be doing alright.

Cwarman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Wouldnt it be nicer to have some type of element controlled box to place
all the electronics inside of that mounted under the hood? Coudl have a
12vlt fan pumping air thru it etc ?

Living in northern Maine im nervous about the elements so im trying to
come up with a solution..

FYI,

Got my warp 9 installed today into the S10......man this is fun!

CWarman

Don,
The CarTest2000 sounds cool. How much does the VW draw on a flat road at highway speeds?
-Robert

  _____

From: Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: October 19, 2005 3:58:40 PM PDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Hi All,
I'm trying to decide between the Solectria AC55 and Siemens 5133W18 motors
(and MES - please send efficiency specs if you have them)

My primary requirement for the vehicle is an 80 mile range. I'm using 26
80AH (1AHR) AGM batteries and looking for the most efficient
motor/controller. Considering the trip takes 90 minutes, my batteries should be able to provide 51 amps for 90 minutes assuming 80% DOD excluding gains
from regen and losses from hills.
(80AH 1AH Rating * 0.80 (DOD) * 60/90 (90 minute run)) = 51 amps

I've looked at the torque curve for both motors and determined that they are
both powerful enough, so to calculate my power usage I think I
only need to look at the efficiency of the motor and controller. Since the max current ratings are well above my operating current. Can I ignore the
continuous current requirement of the motor assuming my batteries can
deliver the max required by the motor?

Assuming I run the motor at peak efficiency at highway speeds the AC55 would
give me more range:

Siemens motor + controller = 84%
AC55 motor + DMOC = 89-91% (assuming 93% motor and 96-98% for controller)
MES motor = ?

The AC55 weighs 50lb extra but considering the car+batteries weigh 3700lbs,
the motor power density calculation seems insignificant.

Can I assume the motor efficiency remains the same as the wind / hill drag
changes, assuming I maintain the same RPM?

Has anyone evaluated regen efficiency?

Note: I'm going to borrow a GPS and do Don Cameron's cool energy calc for my route to make sure my battery sizing is ok, but the motor decision doesn't
seem to depend on that.

Does any of this make sense?
-Robert Baertsch

> Notice that this "type" of relay *is* available with magnetic blowouts

What do magnetic blowouts do? How do they function?

Thanks

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

Greetings,
been googling, waiting for the mailman to bring the Brandt book,
read Electric Dreams...now I need some advice...

I have at this moment 2 donor cars in my driveway.
I'd like to hear if there is any sage advice out there.

1. My father's 1993 Mazda 626. The ICE needs main seals and
timing belt, $700 worth. It's mine as soon as the title turns up.

2, 1989 Lincoln Town Car. It was donated to my synagogue,
and I haven't decided what to do with it. It's worth $50 by weight.

The Mazda has tremendous advantages: 1) It has plates on it.
2) It passed inspection 2 months ago 3) It is small
Cons: Autmatic transmission; Front wheel drive, means small inside...

The Lincoln town car has advantages
1) Old, probably non-electronic transmission, etc.
2) Big, higher Max Gross Vehicle Weight,
more room for motor & batteries
3) Probably can find a manual transmission that would fit
4) RWD, probably easier.
5) Suede interior, leather top

Disadvantages: No plates, (I drove it last week, donor took
the plates back). 2 years since last inspected, large, heavy.

I actually have an acquaintence who is into cars
(building racing stock-cars) who is interested in this project.
He seems willing to swap the Mazda tranny for me, but he thinks it
would be hard to make stick fit into the Lincoln.

He suggested embedding solar panels in the roof...and he
could do it, being a body expert.

He actually can get old elevator motors (3-phase AC).
My friend the EE said that's the wrong kind of motor,
and it would need too much power.  But I know he is
a pestimist.

google seems to say the controller for the 3-phase would
cost more than a brand-new motor and controller for DC.

BTW, I was noticing that the ratios in the Mazda range
from around 2:1 to around 1:1.   What happens if I do without
a transmission?  So, it's 1:1 always....harder work for
starts, but isn't that what a DC motor is good at?

Note, I haven't decideed WHAT I am building yet.
My wife might be willing to use a Mazda EV for short errands,
where it costs $1 in gas to turn the key in the Honda minivan,
and it's probably 25 cents worth of electricity for the whole trip.

I would be willing to drive either car, but my trip to work is 33 miles,
so I would have to make a hybrid to be able to get home
(or get a job close to home in Northern NJ)
or bribe someone to let me plug it in...
or, carry solar panels?

PS I am thinking DC, and Controller with Regen, because
I might as well get the most bang for my buck.

Option 3 is to get a different donor car.

Option 4 is to obey my wife, my mother, my friend the
rocket scientist (really), and the other friend the Electrical Engineer,
and stick to regular cars. Or Prius or whatever.

PPS on the hybrid idea,
has anyone tried to do a hybrid using the existing gas tank?
I was thinking a 3KW generator (5 gal tank) would do, maybe less,
and some kind of float switch could turn on the real fuel pump if needed.
(this is for the Mazda, not sure if the LTC has a fuel pump Smile

Thanks in advance for all advice.
Seth

On 2005-10-19, Seth Rothenberg wrote:

> I saw an article that talked about the benefits of
> using the original transmission, one being that
> the manufacturer included Reverse in it for free...
> and that to do THAT with a DC car requires extra
> contactors which are expensive.

I think most people get around the problem by only
reversing the field coils, which work at a lower
current and so can use much cheaper contactors.

I could be wrong :-).

-----sharks

Hi EVeryone,

Chris wrote:

My advice for road EVs is to use a radiator.  (The heater core you took
out is a handy, effective and cheap solution.)  Don't bother with a
reservoir at all.  (You probably don't have room for it anyway. ;^)
Make sure your plumbing allows you to fill the system without trapping
air, and that any bubbles can rise to an area not in the flow (like a
short length of tubing for a fill neck.  Remember you're not going to
have huge swings in temperature like an ICE system, so expansion isn't
really an issue.

I really like this idea, i.e. to just use a small filler-tee to purge air-bubbles, and forget a reservoir altogether. But...I'm dubious. Can anyone comment on the amount of expansion that one could expect to see in the extreme cases? Will this produce problems for someone where they fill the system in the middle of winter, and then summer comes around and it springs a leak somewhere? I've also read that the coolant level can drop over the months in a small amount due to some evaporation through the tubing. Myth or truth? Basically, I'm interested in hearing who would feel comfortable going without a reservoir in the system and who wouldn't (and why).
Having only a few ounces of fluid means you reach equilibrium
temperature quicker.  That's all.  The radiator (assuming it's big
enough) is what keeps things cool, not the volume of water.  About the
only benefit from a reservoir is that you can go longer with a leak in
your system before you run dry.

Anyone else validate these seemingly fine comments?

Thanks,

Ryan
--
- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Selling names like Zilla, PFC Chargers, WarP, and PowerCheq

science.discovery.com

website is mostly useless, but that's what I saw advertised the other night
On 2005-10-19, Ryan Bohm wrote:

> I really like this idea, i.e. to just use a small filler-tee to purge
> air-bubbles, and forget a reservoir altogether.  But...I'm dubious.  Can
> anyone comment on the amount of expansion that one could expect to see
> in the extreme cases?

Depends on your coolant, but for example water has density 0.9999
at 1?C and 0.9588 at 99?C, so it'll expand by up to 4% or so over
that range.  Outside that range, you don't want to be using water
anyway :-).

-----sharks
--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://zoic.org/sharkey/>
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding" -- TMBG

Electrical supply houses are often expensive to the "general  public".  You
might try Automation Direct as they sell enclosures as well as some
inexpensive frequency drives for single phase input as some other thread was
discussing.  I have had good luck with their equipment over the years.

Their web address is www.automationdirect.com and they do accept credit
cards.

respectfully,
John