  1) Re: BBC Radio 4
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: clutchless vw, ect
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Home at last!!   Re: Sunrise Report. Or..... " Where's Jerry?"
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: clutchless vw
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: window defrost, radiant heat efficiency
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Honda Fuel Cell Concept with Home H2 Refueling
  7) Re:S-10 now stripped
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re:Current Eliminator News
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Current Eliminator News
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re:S-10 now stripped
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Lift-off at 6:00 Tonight at PIR!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re:Current Eliminator News
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Lift-off at 6:00 Tonight at PIR!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: 2 cars, 4 options.
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Emeter Test
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Snap!
 Hey, I just noticed the tagline of the programme - "DC RIDER".. like
Easy Rider? ha ha, not heard that one before :-)

Regards
Evan

On 10/20/05, Paul Compton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Excellent programme on EVs being brodcast now.
>
> BBC Radio 4;    In Business
>
> Listen again, or
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/inbusiness/index.shtml
>
> Paul Compton
> www.sciroccoev.co.uk
> www.morini-mania.co.uk
> www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

            Hi John and All,

john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A friend wants me to build her a VW bug conversion. Problem is she has one leg
in a brace and can't use the clutch. I know she could go clutchless and put
into gear before taking off but I was wondering if a set up like my Citicar
would work on a VW? Using contactors for forward and reverse? Any thoughts
would be welcomed.

          While you are stopped before going into reverse I hope, it shouldn't
be hard to put it in reverse without a clutch. Bugs make a great under 50 mph
EV and can run faster but with shorter range as the aero is rather high. But
they are lightweight which really help around town EVing.

          But yes, using contactors can work well for reverse and can be used
as another emergency power cutoff if something were to happen if set up that
way.

          I'd also use a set up where the motor turns 5,000-5,500 rpm's so she
can drive at most any speed in the same gear to avoid shifting. You can do this
by using say a 36vdc-3,000 rpm motor on 72vdc battery pack or other combo of
voltage, motor. For low cost, reliability, it's hard to beat 72vdc in a bug as
you can use a modified 36vdc golf cart ferro charger and the contactors are
lower cost, easy to find.

         Sniff around fork lift shops, junk yards for dead, surplus ones that
are not worth a new batt for EV parts like motors, contactors, chargers for
close to or even free.

          I use a Citi car motor, charger  in my 60 mph E woody and shortly
will change it over to ni-cads.

          Good luck on your new EV club. Interest in EV rise with the price of
gas !!

                                        HTH's,

                                            Jerry Dycus .

John in Tucson.

Glad to see you made the trip without any problems.
good luck on keeping out of the storms.
keep us posted on the freedom/sunrise as i am sure you
will
 kEVs

--- Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi Jerry an' All;
>
>    I can taker a breath, again. Sorta holding it
> after ya  left<g> I don't
> know if ya noticed the 238000 on the speedo
> odometer. Tat was there when I
> GOT the car, saving it's life from the
> junkyard!Several years later ,two of
> them my kid used it for his daily driver at UCONN, a
> 55 mile flight from
> here. He did love it a little, treating it to new
> tires and glow plugs. I
> replaced the battery last year, so it would start,
> cheerfully, again.No
> OTHER work was or ever was done on the engine. Rear
> shocks petrifyed a few
> years ago. I replaced them with newer, not NEW<g>!
> Have junked Rabbits over
> the years and had some new old stock parts. Kid felt
> comfortable with the
> car, often going from CT to Richmond VA to see old
> HS buddies.
>
>    I'm sure glad to see that it has a loving home
> and will help the "Cause"
> What better use for a faithful old car??Keeping with
> the Renault thread of
> late how many gas Renaults woulda done that FLA
> flight, after clocking
> probably close to 300k miles, the odo meter was
> busted when I got the
> car!?Hell, the owners manual is still in the glove
> tment, EVen!Not to
> mention towing a trailer. The Rabbit was a worthy
> successer to the old
> Beatle, and HEAT even! So I say that a decent Rabbit
> will be a good ., or
> better conversion than any Renault.Maybe not as lite
> as a 1200 Datsun, but
> more common , nowadaze.
>
>    Watching with more concern the Wilma hurricane.
> It COULD swoop northeast
> in it's flight , right yur way! Damn! Must be global
> warming?What will they
> do when they use up the alfabet? Start anew with
> Alice or Andrew?THIS year?
> Geeeesh! Ya hafta build cement bunkers in FLA to
> live in.
>
>    Seeya
>
>     Bob

=== message truncated ===

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

 Bob Batson at EVAmerica has a clutchless design.
http://www.ev-america.com/

Dennis
Elsberry, MO