  1) Re: window defrost, radiant heat efficiency
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Low loss lubricant for EV gearbox
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Honda Fuel Cell Concept with Home H2 Refueling
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: window defrost, radiant heat efficiency
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Emeter Test
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: clutchless vw
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Emeter Test
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: On getting back the EV grin
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Used UPS battery questions
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Zombie Final Runs of the Season
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: window defrost
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re:Current Eliminator News
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: clutchless vw
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: window defrost
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Current Eliminator News
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) 52 mile commute?
        by "blond_ambition777" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Current Eliminator News
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: 52 miles range
Hello Mark,

The braking system has been modified with Force 10 Supertwin 2-piston caliper,
which is design for 1969 to 1979 GM vehicles which you can get from Jeg's.
There is no problem in stopping, even on glare ice!  The tire tread pattern is
design for ice and hard pack snow. The tires allow about 100 lbs. per square
inch to the pavement.  Some standard vehicles are as low as 10 lbs per sq.in.
which provides no traction on ice.

This is not just a EV to haul one or two persons around.  I built a new house
and I haul all my building materials in it, except for the roof rafters and
concrete.  The porcelain floor tile weigh 2000 lbs per trip!!  Just jack up the
suspension air pressure to level the car.

Its look like you have your heating system engineer out for your needs.

From: "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Anyway, the most efficient way to warm electrically is with radiant heat
> such as the 15" Fostoria replacement 750W quartz enclosed nichrome coil
> tubes I found at Northern Tool yesterday for $10 each.  I'm mounting one
> between the dash/windshield with a parabolic reflector made out of U shaped
> bent aluminum chrome painted (2" x 15" area). At 72V in my buggy (9ea 8V
> batts) it will be about 300W and I'll also mount one down below for radiant
> floor heat and put on a Fet switch to the main accessory contactor.

Lynn,

The manual is downloaded from xantrex's site and according to the diagram that
I have, on page 13, what I said is exactly what the diagram shows.

It also shows that the emeter is being powered from the same pack that it is
testing, so according to xantrex that is fine to do. In fact anybody that uses
an emeter or link 1000 in a PV system is using the same battery power to
measure the battery current.

If you look at pate 15, you will see that I have used almost work for word the
same verbiage as they did.

If you look closely at the words you are saying the same thing that I am, just
with different words. If you think differently, please tell me specifically
where I have erred...

Thank you
Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

From: Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<<One option is to convert an "auto-stick" model.  The auto-stick was a
manual tranny with a vacuum motor to automatically operate the clutch.>>

That would be quite lossy, as that model used a torque converter along with the
clutch.

<<If you can't locate an original autostick tranny, you could certainly
rig up an electric or vacuum-operated mechanism to disengage the clutch
when a button  on the shifter is pressed.>>
That could work with alot of effort.
If this thing had a decent controller, batteries etc, the driver could spend
most of the time in 2nd gear, with an occasional shift to 4th.
A clutchless manual trans might be worth exploring...
2 of the 3 vw conversions I have been involved with have been clutchless and
worked just fine if driven carefully.
Ben

> Found it at: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/470.html
>
> Wow, that's quite the dash!  Not sure what everything does/is but the
> engine compartment looks very impressive.

Reminds me of something I heard in my college years: "There are engineers and
there are über-engineers".

> >  That's one hell of an accomplishment even if it was an ice vehicle.
>
> Last time I checked, Current Eliminator wasn't an ICE vehicle. 8^)
>
> http://austinev.org/evalbum/092.html

You do know he meant even if racing with an ICE, it would still have been "one
hell of an accomplishment", right? Let's not start splitting grammatical hairs.

Russell,

I saw your posting today.  I just wanted to reiterate that the 52
miles range that Blue Sky Motors quoted only means that that is what
we achieved on a one time test (there is no warranty express or
implied).  If you are relying on that 52 miles range for your
commute, you will be disappointed in that Lead Acid trucks were
designed for operation for approximately 30 mile commutes on a daily
basis with occational deeper discharges (for long life).  If you need
50+ miles for your daily commute, then this is may not the vehicle
for you.

I wanted to bring this to your attention because you may not be used
to the recommended operating procedures for a lead acid truck.  It is
different from the NiMH truck which is what you may have been used to
in the past.  If you can place chargers at either end and restrict
the distance on the vehicle to about 30 miles at any one time then
you will be fine.

If you have any questions about the capabilities of the truck, give
me a call.  We want you to be happy in your truck and just want to
make sure that it really does meet your long term needs.

Respectfully yours,

Kitty Rodden
Blue Sky Motors
916-929-7508

In a message dated 10/21/05 10:57:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< >  That's one hell of an accomplishment even if it was an ice vehicle.

 Last time I checked, Current Eliminator wasn't an ICE vehicle. 8^)

 http://austinev.org/evalbum/092.html

Its not an ICE vech. just competing against them. Dennis Berube

> Russell,
>
> I saw your posting today.  I just wanted to reiterate that the 52
> miles range that Blue Sky Motors quoted only means that that is what
> we achieved on a one time test (there is no warranty express or
> implied).  If you are relying on that 52 miles range for your
> commute, you will be disappointed in that Lead Acid trucks were
> designed for operation for approximately 30 mile commutes on a daily
> basis with occational deeper discharges (for long life).  If you need
> 50+ miles for your daily commute, then this is may not the vehicle
> for you.
>
> I wanted to bring this to your attention because you may not be used
> to the recommended operating procedures for a lead acid truck.  It is
> different from the NiMH truck which is what you may have been used to
> in the past.  If you can place chargers at either end and restrict
> the distance on the vehicle to about 30 miles at any one time then
> you will be fine.
>
> If you have any questions about the capabilities of the truck, give
> me a call.  We want you to be happy in your truck and just want to
> make sure that it really does meet your long term needs.
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Kitty Rodden
> Blue Sky Motors
> 916-929-7508

Thanks, Kitty - I will see what I can convince my employer, but if I can't get
an Avcon installed, I can still use my beater and replace my wife's car with
the Ranger. I had consistantly gotten over 70 miles range from the NiMH, so it
is true that the lead version will take some adjusting; since I work nights, I
could probably get away with 45mph on I-80, but this might not be
enough...still, I do know how to get the maximum range from an EV!

P.S.- Davis is 20 miles from me and has Avcons, so I'll probably drive it home!