  1) Re: 1.591 second 60 ft. WZ Launch Video
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: More about tires
  3) PFC-20 Running off Prius HV Pack
        by Edward Ang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Don't drive away with your cord dragging: was Daddy says don't
  5) Re: More about tires
  6) Re: More about tires
  7) RE: PFC-20 Running off Prius HV Pack
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: The 'range issue' Drag/street S10
  9) Re: good name for an EV: hockey stick
        by Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: More about tires
 11) Re: Drivetrain resistance (200A draw @ 30mph - is this normal)?
 12) Battery Analyzer - Keeping track of AHr's w/confidence
        by "Mueller, Craig M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Drivetrain resistance (200A draw @ 30mph - is this normal)?
 14) Re: Curtis and KSI
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 200A draw @ 30mph - is this normal (more figures please)?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 200A draw @ 30mph - is this normal (more figures please)?
 17) Re: 1.591 second 60 ft. WZ Launch Video
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Curtis and KSI
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Max current w/top terminal UPS batteries?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: 1.591 second 60 ft. WZ Launch Video
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Dead batteries
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 1.591 second 60 ft. WZ Launch Video
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Discover Batteries?
        by "EVdave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) OT: Re: good name for an EV: hockey stick
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: high voltage heater options?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Trade for charging space at work
Ot You need to get them contactors flipped faster, and give him some ramp on
both the Series launch and the reattack after a S/P switch over.

Granted, I can see room for improvement there.

And bigger water passages in the Zilla so we don't need a 30 PSI pump to
move 2.5 Gallons in less than a couple Eons...

They seem to be cooling just fine at the slow flow that they get now. Why do I need more? It would take an awfully good reason to get me to change a design that works so well. That small heatsink is critical the the whole electrical design, it would be very difficult to increase the coolant flow rate if I wanted to. As long as it's working so well, I think it's staying just as it is.

I can see that you may need more flow for your charger, maybe we'll need a partial bypass around the controller to provide enough flow to your charger on the same loop.

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: October 24, 2005 12:15:45 PM PDT

To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Subject: Re: Max current w/top terminal UPS batteries?

" ...a higher resistance from being loose, then heats up, melts..."

Do these problems typically develop gradually, or quickly?

If these problems show up gradually, should a maintenance item be to

retorque each terminal to mfg recommendations every ___ days? Or once

a week just after arriving home, would it be wise to check the temperature

of each terminal? I would want a handheld IR unit for this...

It's like this. Lead is a soft metal; kind of like stiff toothpaste. If you
apply a low to moderate pressure, it holds. But if you apply a high
pressure, it s-l-o-w-l-y flows until the pressure is relieved. The hotter it
gets, the less pressure it takes to make it flow, and the faster it flows.

To get a good high-current electrical connection, you need lots of pressure
(to squish the metals tightly together, break through any oxidation or crud
that's already there, and then to keep air and water and other crud out so
no new oxidation forms). Since you can't get high pressure with lead, you
need to have a large surface area to spread the pressure over, rather than
concentrating it all in one tiny place.

Some batteries come with a 5/16" stud sticking out of the lead posts. If you
just drop a ring terminal onto this stud and hold it with a nut, the
pressure is all concentrated in a very small area. In a short time, the lead
cold-flows, the pressure is relieved, and you have a bad connection. Now it
gets hot! This accellerates the cold-flow, making the connection get even
worse. This continues until the lead actually melts.

You could just come back every week or two and re-tighten the connections
before they fail. But over time, this will gradually pull the stud right of
the lead post, and it will still fail.

You could put a nut on the stud, then the ring terminal, then a second nut.
Pinch the ring terminal between the nuts. Now you have a solid, tight
connection to the stud. But, the stud is stainless steel, which is a poor
conductor. So this works long term at low currents, but will get hot at high
currents and fail anyway due to the stud's resistance.

The bottom line is that these 5/16" studs are only good for low-current
loads, under 100 amps or so continuous. To make a really solid connection,
use automotive posts. They spread the high pressure over a large enough
surface area so the lead won't cold-flow (at least, not nearly as fast).

>" ...a higher resistance from being loose, then heats up, melts..."

Do these problems typically develop gradually, or quickly?

If these problems show up gradually, should a maintenance item be to

retorque each terminal to mfg recommendations every ___ days? Or once a

week just after arriving home, would it be wise to check the temperature of

each terminal? I would want a handheld IR unit for this (see

http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10228&CategoryID=51).

If these problems appear without warning, perhaps I should consider casting

"real" terminals? (ref:

Otmar wrote:

The Zilla does not quite output 10 times a second, more like 9.5.. the data capture device needs an accurate timestamp.

I'm curious as to why you think that?

If you look at the raw data from an example run:

http://mindbent.org/farverdaq/data/zombie-10-22-2005-run2.cap

Watch the drive pot signal (first column), at sample 3 it starts rising, reaching full throttle (0xD7) by sample 6. It falls again (the driver lifts) at sample 167. If the Zilla really is outputting 10 samples per second the driver lifted about 16-17 seconds into the run. In a 12.5 second car that is 3.5 seconds past the traps. That seems kind of unlikely to me. John or Tim, any comments?

And as a correction, my data shows the Zilla outputting about 11 samples/sec, not the 9.5 I listed above.

Hello Everybody:

I surely thought, that my sudden drop in voltage was due to the cold snap
we had a few days ago. But I had the same problem again today and we
haven't a cold night. Well, I checked the batteries and, while the system
voltage was about 110 V (after driving about 10 Miles, down from 130V)
most batteries had about 6.27 Volts. But I found three batteries with
_low_ voltages, what puzzles me is, that those batteries were all wired
together in one string.

    +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+
----+  A  +--+  B  +--+  C  +--+  D  +--+  E  +--
    +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+

A = 6.27 V
B = 5.27 V
C = 5.45 V
D = 5.78 V
E = 6.27 V

I can't believe I lost three batteries at a time, so I went ahead and
replaced B. Should I replace C and D too or were they down because of the
dead B?

Thanks for your help.

Michaela

At 2:45 PM -0500 10/26/05, Mark Farver wrote:
If you look at the raw data from an example run:

http://mindbent.org/farverdaq/data/zombie-10-22-2005-run2.cap

Watch the drive pot signal (first column), at sample 3 it starts rising, reaching full throttle (0xD7) by sample 6. It falls again (the driver lifts) at sample 167. If the Zilla really is outputting 10 samples per second the driver lifted about 16-17 seconds into the run. In a 12.5 second car that is 3.5 seconds past the traps. That seems kind of unlikely to me. John or Tim, any comments?

I've met Tim. He's a bit of a speed demon. Maybe he's just having too much fun to let up! :)

And as a correction, my data shows the Zilla outputting about 11 samples/sec, not the 9.5 I listed above.

With what are you comparing the time? I know I've had a hard time determining where the traps are, so I wouldn't trust pedal lift for much.

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/  Home of the Zilla.
http://www.evcl.com/914  My electric 914

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- has anyone ever heard of this battery? i just found out that my E10 has this type of battery in it, and frankly ive never heard of it.... but if anyone has any info.... perhaps what i should program the charger too, i would appreciate the input.... (im opening up the box for the first time this weekend) but so far, im told...

Cycle use: 14.5-14.9v
standby use 13.6-13.8

no model numbers yet as i havent opened it up....

TIA for any info.

dave banas
A difference in views is a bad reason to self censor. But I'm willing to kill this thread, if list administrator requests it.

The list mods have made it VERY clear that this is type of thread is not appropriate at the EVDL DOZENS of times in the past.

This is not an environmental discussions board, nor is it a politics board even though EVs relate to both subjects.

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM/YM - ktrough
FAX/voice message - 206-339-VOLT (8658)

At 06:00 AM 26/10/05 -0700, Dave Brandt wrote:
Hi, folks.  Been a while.  I'm working on a Fiero conversion, which
will take QUITE a while, but the heater core is out, and I was going to
replace it with the electric one, but I'm planning to run a high
voltage (at least 240V, but probably closer to 288-300V).  Randy at
CANEV says the highest rated core he has is rated for 240V.  What are
some options to do the heater at this higher voltage?

Hi Dave

3 x 110V cores in series (in a test I did a while back, 96V/segment will provide acceptable levels of heat). Just make sure the electrical insulation strength of the mounting materials is adequate.

From what I've read, in a sedan-sized vehicle it'd be sensible to have two banks of elements so the airflow gets hotter.

My diddy-little truck (electravan truck size) I have gone with just two core sections, but don't know yet how that'll work out (not on the road yet).

Regards

James
I was thinking (before the prospect of impending sale) of offering to
build a shaded parking for 4 stalls, in which one would be mine.
Ideally, The roof of this would slowly be covered with solar panels. In
fresno shade goes farthur than beer. :)