  1) Re: Battery Analyzer - Keeping track of AHr's w/confidence
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Battery Analyzer - Keeping track of AHr's w/confidence
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: battery water temp ?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Looking for info about production EVs...
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by Osmo Sarin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: battery water temp ?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Radiator
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Bits and Pieces - air vs water cooling
One more kit for data logging and much more:
serial interface, cost 50$, including:

     8 general purpose I/O lines (digital input/output with special features
like PWM or pulse output)

     5 10-bit A/D inputs (separate from digital pins)

     1 hardware PWM output (operates continuously)

     1 hardware counter input (operates continuously)

     1 LED under software control

     True RS232 from onboard 5V supply

     EEPROM for storing configuration or serial numbers (128 bytes)

     ActiveX control (OCX) and DLL supplied; or control via serial protocol
(57600 baud)

     Java object for use with Java (requires javax.comm support)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7526588286&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

    From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL

Osmo Sarin wrote:
Maybe a bit off topic, but...If I use a watercooled AC drive system in my first conversion, can I use the warm coolant from drive system to heat the cabin as in ICEs? I suppose that alone isn´t efficient enough and needs an extra heating unit anyway?

You probably can, but you won't get much heat unless you really pour it on. My Prizm's drive system is 90% efficient for motor+controller, so you get about 5kw of heat if you run at max power (50kw)

Normal cruise though is only about 18kw though, so you might get 1.8kw of heat. Which isn't that much all things considered.

The heat system for the Prizm is a 3kw water heater running off main pack voltage (300volts) with it's own little pump and water system. It's not bad but it takes about 5 minutes to warm up and about 10 to really get rolling. One project is to rewire my Magnecharger so I can run the charger+heat in the morning, then hop in a car with full batteries and lots of heat.

For defogging, the AC system is more important than the heat.

Chris

Or should I make them completely separated, which means a ceramic heating unit is a real option for me also.

Osmo Sarin

28.10.2005 kello 18:22, Evan Tuer kirjoitti:

 On 10/28/05, John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you on this, my friend. There is far more
inherent danger in a a temp regulator or pressure switch failing and
having steam build up and burst pipes and or hoses to spray scalding
steam on persons, than in a ceramic element melting things. The key to
both systems though, is a properly done installation.

That's very true.  A friend of mine played with water cooled PC
components, and didn't notice that the pump had stopped until the
steam pressure blew a hose off the processor block and covered the
inside of his PC with boiling water and antifreeze.  That was an
expensive experiment!

This is flat wrong and your symptoms prove it.  Heat transfer is
ALWAYS faster with higher velocity flow right up to the cavitation
point, if there is one.

What happened with your car is more complex and not all that out of
the ordinary.  The "solution" rests with the higher pressure caused by
the higher temperature thermostat.

Here is what happens.  Some point or points on the head become hot
enough that boiling starts at prevailing conditions.  This is usually
around an exhaust port where flow is stagnant.  In the beginning the
boiling is nucleate, bubbles forming around a nucleation point.  Steam
is a poor conductor of heat so the steam/water mix carries away heat
less efficiently than just the water.  The metal gets hotter and the
boiling converts to film boiling.  This is when a film of steam forms
over the metal.  You've seen this when you pour water on red hot
metal.  I shiny foot is visible under the drops.  That is the steam
boundary.  In heat transfer situations such as this and in boilers,
film boiling is to be avoided at all costs.  Boiler tube burnouts
quickly result.

The steam rises to the highest place in the area, forming an
insulating pocket.  The metal temperature continues to rise and the
area of film boiling spreads.  Meanwhile the steam is displacing
water, pushing it out the overflow if the system pressure is already
at the setpoint.  When the overflow opens, the system pressure drops
and film boiling spreads out even more.  Meanwhile the entrained steam
is reducing the pumping capacity of the water pump so flow through the
head has decreased, leading to even more film boiling.  Eventually
most of the water is pushed out of the head and block.  Around this
time you notice the cloud of steam coming from under the hood.

The higher temperature thermostat frequently alleviates this problem,
not because of the higher temperature but because of the higher system
pressure that results.  The higher pressure suppresses boiling, the
first stage of this process.

The pressure in the head for a conventional flow system is the sum of
the static pressure and the dynamic pressure caused by flow through
the thermostat and any other restrictions leading to the radiator. The
higher temperature thermostat usually has a second benefit of having a
smaller orifice which raises the dynamic pressure in the engine.

There is a related old wive's tale that is equally false.  That is,
that removing the thermostat causes the water to move too fast to give
up its heat.  What removing the thermostat actually does is reduce the
dynamic pressure in the engine.  Adding a restrictor orifice doesn't
"slow the water down" as myth holds but instead raises the dynamic
pressure, suppressing the initial stages of boiling.

I've observed this evolution on a research engine equipped with
cutaways covered with plexiglass windows.  With stroboscopic lighting
and high speed video, one can actually see the boiling evolve from
nucleate to film boiling and then spread.

How high is this dynamic pressure?  45 psi total (static plus dynamic)
on the upstream side of the thermostat housing is not unusual at high
RPM.  25 psi or more at idle isn't unusual.  Speaking of Detroit V8
iron (and aluminum), of course.

A related phenomena, the violent boil-over when the engine is shut off
is caused by the loss of dynamic pressure.  When only the static
pressure remains, the superheated water in the block flashes to steam,
pushing the remaining water out.  Violently.

John

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:56:04 -0400, "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Nope.  Two different 160 Thermostats did the same thing.  The problem was
>the 160 thermostat was ALWAYS open so with the same amount of flow the
>radiator couldnt cool it down in the one pass it got.  When I put in the 195
>thermostat it would close the engine off to the radiator and that gave the
>radiator extra time to cool the water before it was pumped back into the
>engine.  Since my temp sender is right above the thermostat I can watch it
>open and close on the dial.  When the 160 was in there you could watch the
>temps rise to 160 then drop to about 100 as soon as the thermostat opened.
>Then the next round it would be 160 open drop to 110.  This would continue
>until it stayed at 160 and slowly rise all the way to 200.  When I switched
>to the 195 it would cycle between 200 and 180 and remain relatively
>constant.  In fact, with the 160 thermostat it was not uncommon for the car
>to hit 220-230 when pulling the boat up hills.  With the 195 it would go to
>210 on the hill and immediately drop to 180-200 after that.

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Phil Marino wrote:

I can see at least one major disadvantage to water cooling - reliability.

It is starting sound like fruitless debate what's better - AC or DC.
The only correct answer is "it depends". I can speak from my own
experience. ACRX always was (and will be) experimental platform and
I have good basis for comparison. But it remains only opinion for
everyone, and may not be applicable to the most.

So:

Since water cooling was installed, it was *always* reliable; I've
never got *any* failures. Air cooled systems owners may claim the same.
Air cooling components (blowers and heat sinks) indeed may never fail
although I suspect a blower may require more than 10x power to cool
controller's semiconductors to about the same temp. So you stress
your controller more which will cut off sooner while air cooling
indeed didn't help. Have you ever stand near tzero with its 150kW
inverter and blower on? I have.

In a book about sailing that I read many years ago; - I can't recall the name of the book - William F Buckley defined a luxury on a sailboat as anything that " when it breaks down, you can fix it at sea".

Applies to any system. How do you "fix" your vehicle if it keeps
cutting back power to maintain safe temp, so you no longer can
drive on a freeway? Nothing is broken, it works as it suppose to,
but is a huge annoyance.

In all of my years of driving, I have had to have a car towed ( unrepairable by me on the side of the road) three times. Once was an electrical problem, and twice it was cooling system failure ( loss of coolant due to component failure).

That was a poor choice for that component then. Was it a fish tank pump?
Claiming that water cooled choice is worse because of your own
experience with marginal hardware is not terribly scientific.

An air-cooled system will never fail because of a leak.

True. If it leaks, it only means poor craftsmanship.
Mine never does, because all the components I use meant to be used
that way.

As far as avoiding overheating - that depends on the design of the system, not on the method.

It's opposite.

Reliable operation overall defines the most appropriate method.
If you choose a wrong cooling method to begin with (say air cooling),
even flawless design of it with top end motors for blowers will be
useless.

You can have an inadequate water-cooled system, and you can have a well designed, more than adequate, air cooled system.

Agreed. Exactly opposite is true too.

More complex and expensive isn't always better.

Phil

As far as expenses I have < $200 water pump and few feet of
clear tubing from home depot.

How much are your fins, heat sinks, individual blowers and
electrical wiring to them, fuses, etc?

Having a blade fan on the motor shaft does not count, you
can't slow down under load and have change driving strategy
(down shift) because of this limitation. Electric blower requires
temp sensing and drivers to work unattended.
I don't do that. The system works for me, not I for the system.

Any system can be designed right or wrong. For many - air cooling
is adequate and justified (VW bugs).

You make your calculations if you know how, or pure guess.

Saying that the system *may* leak without ever having one,
carries little weight. Like me saying a fan motor brush can
be cracked or a bearing fail, so air cooling is less reliable.
It's not if a brush and bearing are picked right an of good
quality.

I'm off this topic.