  1) Re: Radiator
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: PFC-20 Running off Prius HV Pack
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Looking for info about production EVs...
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Radiator
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Radiator
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Radiator
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) RE: Battery Analyzer - Keeping track of AHr's w/confidence
        by "Mueller, Craig M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Austin mini.
        by "steve ollerton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Radiator - optimum coolant flow rate
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: plugging in at work
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Bits and Pieces
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: PFC-20 Running off Prius HV Pack
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Bits and Pieces - air vs water cooling
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Radiator
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Radiator - optimum coolant flow rate
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- That is incorrect, with certainty. There is no "sweet spot"; lower flow rates will always mean a higher heatsink temp. The limiting factor is, as mentioned before, how much flow it is practical to pump while still getting enough useful gains to justify the added pressure, pumping power, and possibly the need to redesign the system with more/wider passages.

Higher flow rates will mean the heatsink will get cooler. Actually if a device generates 100W of heat then the system will dissipate 100W of heat regardless of flow rate, it's a matter of how hot the heatsink and its semiconductors will be (and the goal here is to keep them cool). A low flow system not only runs higher heatsink temps but the ultimate power rating is decreased. A system with good flow might be able to dissipate 500W without overheating the semiconductors whereas setting the same system at lesser flow might overheat at 200W.

Danny

Eric Poulsen wrote:

This kinda reminds me of the Amps / Voltage / Power relationship.

Whether you have a high rate of flow, or a low rate of flow, the dissapated power (heat) is will be the same, while the amount of water moved, and the temperature differential will be different.

In the end, it appears that a lower rate would be better (to an extent), since the end goal is to keep the water block (heat sink) at the lowest temperature possible. At higher flow rates, you'll remove just as much heat, but the steady-state temperature of the heat sink will be higher, which is not desirable.

What you have to do is hit the max-power transfer "sweet spot", which allows low delta T for heat sink / ambient.

The 2004+ Prius's electric "Motor" is rated at 50kW?

Though it actually has 2 motors, MG1 is primarily a
generator and rated at 10kW, MG2 is primarily the traction
motor and rated at 33kW.  The battery pack is rated at 21kW.

I might not have these figures right, MG2 might be 50kW and
MG1 might be 13kW or 17kW, can't find the figures at the moment.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear someone has already hooked up
their PFC to a Prius, I always thought that might happen.

L8r
Ryan

ps. We've started a new EAA-PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid EV) project.
Here's the new page for it http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/EAA-PHEV
Still don't have all the good details there yet, it's only a week old...

PSA group claims that they have sold over 10,000 electric vehicles.
That includes electric versions of the C15 and C25, AX, 106, 205,
Saxo, Partner/Berlingo.  Since 2000 I think that the Berlingo is the
only model in production but there are a lot of them about and it is
still on sale as the updated look 2005 model.

Regards
Evan
--
http://www.tuer.co.uk/evs2/myev.html

On 10/28/05, George S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a post from Tom Dowling of evchargernews to the rav4ev list earlier
> this year.
>

> "Here's what I get, from various sources, searching the archives. Thanks to
> Noel Adams for some corrections to a previous post.
>
> RAV4 EV prior to retail program 1039
> RAV4 EV retail program about 330
> EV1 about 1100
> Ranger EV about 1500
> Ranger EV in USPS body 500
> Chevrolet S10E about 500
> Honda EV Plus about 320
> Nissan Altra about 120
> Chrysler TEVan about 30
> Dodge Epic minivans about 120 Toyota Ecoms about 30 Nissan HyperMinis about
> 50 (maybe more) Th!nk Cities about 550
> The Ranger EV appears to be the record holder.
> Tom Dowling"
>

> George S.

Nope.  Two different 160 Thermostats did the same thing.  The problem was
the 160 thermostat was ALWAYS open so with the same amount of flow the
radiator couldnt cool it down in the one pass it got.  When I put in the 195
thermostat it would close the engine off to the radiator and that gave the
radiator extra time to cool the water before it was pumped back into the
engine.  Since my temp sender is right above the thermostat I can watch it
open and close on the dial.  When the 160 was in there you could watch the
temps rise to 160 then drop to about 100 as soon as the thermostat opened.
Then the next round it would be 160 open drop to 110.  This would continue
until it stayed at 160 and slowly rise all the way to 200.  When I switched
to the 195 it would cycle between 200 and 180 and remain relatively
constant.  In fact, with the 160 thermostat it was not uncommon for the car
to hit 220-230 when pulling the boat up hills.  With the 195 it would go to
210 on the hill and immediately drop to 180-200 after that.

From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[...]

You're right - higher coolant flow rates will result in a cooler controller - but only up to a point. Above a certain flow rate ( which depends on the radiator, air flow through the radiator, heat sink, and controller heat generation) it won't help to increase the coolant flow. As the coolant flow rate increases above that point, the ability of the radiator to lose heat to the air becomes the limiting factor.

Here is an attempt at describing this as a graph:

           *
           * x     Controller temp
           *    x
           *       x
           *           x
           *                x
           *                     x
           *                          x
           *                               x
           *                                     x
           *                                            x
* x x x x x
           *
                                        Coolant flow rate

The vertical axis is controller heat sink temperature, and the horizontal axis is coolant flow rate.

As long as you have enough coolant flow to take full advantage of the radiator, increasing the flow will not appreciably help. The trick is determining that optimum flow rate. Above that, you're just wasting pumping power.

There are two other minor reasons not to pump faster than needed: it would result in higher system pressure (and reduced reliability) and - this is a very minor effect - it would actually add unnecessary heat to the system : the work that the pump does shows up as heat ( frictional pumping losses ) in the system.

Phil

I'm afraid that I can't answer that, as most of the bureaucratic nonsense
that we have to put up with defies explanation, in my opinion! You'll have
to ask someone in the NFPA who is responsible for these ideas.

Joseph H. Strubhar

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web: www.gremcoinc.com
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When you're talking about these power levels, water cooling is simpler than trying to manage heat with air cooling.

Even more important, it's nearly impossible to keep semiconductors as cool with air cooling as they can with water cooling at these power levels. This directly affects their capabilities, efficiency, and overall reliability.

This is starting to sound a little like the continuing AC vs DC discussions.

The best choice of cooling method depends on your power levels and your goals for the vehicle.

For my Echo ( a small, light, low power car with a Curtis controller) liquid-cooling wouldn't make sense.

I have two small BLDC blowers cooling a finned heat sink on the base of the controller. As far as reliability, it would be hard to match that with a liquid cooled system. There is no chance for coolant loss, and the only possiblity for a single point failure is a loss of the relay that powers the blowers. (very unlikely at 12V and a few watts) Also, I live in a climate where the summer temperature is very rarely above 90F, and never above 100F.

For a higher power system,(and/or, in a hotter location) liquid cooling would certainly be a better - or even, required- choice.

Phil

I don't believe these electrical machines have these continuous ratings.
They don't need it anyway. They only provide these levels of power for
short times. Perhaps PHEVs converters might get some surprises.
David

From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Bits and Pieces
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:18:26 -0700

Neon John wrote:

I view that as a great negative.  Not having a coolant system to mess
with and maintain is a big benefit of EVs to me.  I just can't see a
benefit of water cooling sufficient to offset the hassles and added
complications.

John

I've done it both ways on very the same ACRX. Having stock radiator,
it is so much easier to have water cooled everything. You can keep things in totally enclosed compartments. Not sure what your
definition of "hassle" is, but I think it would be much more
irritating to slow down on a freeway because your controller or
motor overheats on the long incline.

After comparing both, I'll never do a conversion with air cooled
hardware. BTW, no fans noise ever - only cabin heater blower fan
if in use.

As always, this may not be applicable to some conversions, although
I don't see water cooling to be disadvantage in *any* situation.

Victor

I can see at least one major disadvantage to water cooling - reliability.

In a book about sailing that I read many years ago; - I can't recall the name of the book - William F Buckley defined a luxury on a sailboat as anything that " when it breaks down, you can fix it at sea".

In all of my years of driving, I have had to have a car towed ( unrepairable by me on the side of the road) three times. Once was an electrical problem, and twice it was cooling system failure ( loss of coolant due to component failure).

An air-cooled system will never fail because of a leak.

As far as avoiding overheating - that depends on the design of the system, not on the method.

You can have an inadequate water-cooled system, and you can have a well designed, more than adequate, air cooled system.

More complex and expensive isn't always better.

Phil

-
'91 ACRX - something different

I just turn on my floor heating system on last week.  I than went back to see
the difference of heat removable, by adjusting one zone to 1 gallon per minute
vs 6 gallon per minute.

When the zone loop is up to temperature, 140 degrees, it circulates its in own
loop until its gets down to 120 degrees. At 120 degrees, the  boiler hot water
is added or in the circulation loop of the boil to bring the temperature back
up to 140 degrees.

I have a elaspe time clock on the boiler startup and shut down  and a another
clock on the zone loop.  I did this years ago to see how long the boiler is on
per 24 hours a day at a certain outside to inside temperature difference
monitor by outside/inside thermostats.  The outside thermo can vary the flow of
the pumps if I put it into Auto position.

I also have floor temperature sensors, one at ceiling and one at 60 inches off
the floor.

I put the pump control on manual position and one zone to 1 gpm.  I than time
when the room thermostat come on.  The zone temperature was up to 140 degrees
at the feed and in one minute of circulation, the return temperate was at 80
degrees.

The wall thermostats have a 2 degree differential, 1 degree up and 1 degree
down below the set temperature and is set to 72 degrees. The outside
temperature is 39 degrees.

The thermo trip off in 1 minute and 55 seconds.

The zone feed temperature is now 133 degrees, and the return is 83 degrees.

The next day when the same outside temperature was the same and the room
temperature set at 72 degrees.  Both days, there is no wind and its cloudy.

I now adjusted the same zone pump to 6 gpm with the same 140 degree feed
temperature.  This time the zone return temperature quickly rise to 110 degrees
in 1 minute.  The room thermostat took 4 minutes and 23 seconds to turn off
which is the same run time as the zone pumps. The boiler temperature is again
at 133 degrees after that amount of time.

The Heat Way floor heat manual and even talking to one of there engineers, they
say its best to have the zone flow values adjusted so that the temperature
difference between the feed and return not to be less than 20 degrees, other
wise the heat absorbing takes longer making the pumps run longer.

Now, I'am going have to go and test out that 160 degree themostat vs a 195
degree thermostat in my sports car engine.  My engine does not used a set in
themostate.  It uses a remote electric circulation pump and electric fan, that
is thermostat operated by a thermo sensor on the thermo housing which is a
standard intake manifold.

This type of system shuts down the circulation threw the radiator and the water
is circulated threw the engine only during warm up.

It does seems very logical to me, that the lower thermo will allow higher
temperature water return back to engine, because its does not hold the coolent
longer in the radiator.

It will be awhile, before I test this out, because this car is undergoing a
complete overhauling and customizing.

> [...]

  of the heatsink, then the water is at the
  heatsink temperature, so only part of the area
  is effectively cooling, the termal resistance will
  go up and the temp of the transistors will rise.
  Again, the cooling is mainly determined by the
  speed of water flow at too low speeds.

  In all above cases does it make sense to speed up
  the flow to achieve better cooling and a larger
  heat transfer and lower temperature differences.
  That is an effect that you will see everywhere in
  nature as it is one of the thermodynamics laws.

  NOTE that it depends on *where* you measure temp
  to see these effects. For example if you have
  the thermometer at the *exit* of the radiator
  (I would not know why, maybe install error?)
  then you could indeed see the temp go down when
  you lower the flow, even though the cooling
  would reduce and the *other* side of the cooling

  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Private:
http://www.cvandewater.com<http://www.cvandewater.com/>
  Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com<http://www.proxim.com/>