  1) RE: Radiator
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) battery water temp?
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: battery water temp ?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: OJ2 to run at Mason Dixon on Nov. 5th
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BadFishRacing)
  6) RE: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Radiator - optimum coolant flow rate
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Heater Options..Heated Water vs Ceramic
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Radiator (longish)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Standardization of wire gauge in advertising?
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Was Re: Look for info/production EVs...now RAV-4EVs
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Perpetual Motion for one year!
        by "Noel P. Luneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Heater Options -- hook up with --Radiator.
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Radiator
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) article: Yamaha's radical adjustable electric motorcycle
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Sound level of jabsco parmax 1.9
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Perpetual Motion for one year!
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Water filling systems.
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Perpetual Motion for one year!
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: plug-in hybrid, was Re: PFC-20 Running off Prius HV Pack
        by "Doug Hartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: PFC-20 Running off Prius HV Pack
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Perpetual Motion for one year!
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Radiator
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:35:03 -0700

Actually you have found your problem by giving these numbers:
Water boils at 212 at sea-level pressure.
Seeing your temp going to 220-230 means that it's already
super-heated and likely boiling inside your engine, unless
you have a high pressure in your cooling system.

There is no problem with the coolant temperature being above 212F. Every ICE car engine is sealed and equipped with a pressure cap. This allow the cooling system pressure to rise to a several ( 10 to 15, usually) psi above 1 atmosphere, so the coolant does not boil at temperatures below about 260F (the exact temperature varies with each engine, and with the percentage of antifreeze).

When your engine is hot, squeeze the radiator hoses in your car - they will be hard. That is because the cooling system is pressurized when hot.

If the coolant temperature goes higher than this 260F or so, the pressure in the system exceeds the pressure cap release value, and the pressure cap will vent. This is called "overheating", and you lose coolant ( as liquid and/or vapor) through the cap.

There are several good explanations on the web about how ICE cooling systems work. Look up one or two - that may explain it further.

Phil

RE: "Auto" fillers
I've never used them personally, but I've been told by others that know more
than me that for them to work well it helps if:
1. All your batts are together
2. All your batts are level
YMMV,
Marv

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

About 3 min. I do realize people will brag about 3 seconds for
their ceramic heaters. I'm sure they won't die if waiting 3 minutes.

Perhaps not - but why should I modify my behavior and driving habits because of the limitations of the car? Better to have the car do what it should, quickly, so I can go about my business.

Phil

Hello Lawrence,

That will work, if in manual control.  I been thinking of the large banks of
batteries that was used for telephone battery rooms, where the they are always
on a float charge. They either used Hydrocells or a auto fill system.

    From: Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>>
From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You're right - higher coolant flow rates will result in a cooler controller - but only up to a point. Above a certain flow rate ( which depends on the
  radiator, air flow through the radiator, heat sink, and controller heat
generation) it won't help to increase the coolant flow. As the coolant flow rate increases above that point, the ability of the radiator to lose heat to
  the air becomes the limiting factor.

  Here is an attempt at describing this as a graph:

              *
              * x     Controller temp
              *    x
              *       x
              *           x
              *                x
              *                     x
              *                          x
              *                               x
              *                                     x
              *                                            x
              *                                                       x
  x       x       x      x
              *
  * * * * *
                                           Coolant flow rate

The vertical axis is controller heat sink temperature, and the horizontal
  axis is coolant flow rate.

  As long as you have enough coolant flow to take full advantage of the
  radiator, increasing the flow will not appreciably help.  The trick is
determining that optimum flow rate. Above that, you're just wasting pumping
  power.

There are two other minor reasons not to pump faster than needed: it would result in higher system pressure (and reduced reliability) and - this is a very minor effect - it would actually add unnecessary heat to the system : the work that the pump does shows up as heat ( frictional pumping losses )
  in the system.

  Phil

Finally, someone shows that a higher flow is needed in a heat sink to get cooler. The lower flow will increase the heat sink temperature. Therefore isn't it logical that a radiator being a heat sink needs a lower flow to increase the radiator temperature.

Not a good idea: if the coolant flow is too low, the input temperature at the radiator will be higher, but, remember, that means that the output of the heat sink is also higher ( since they are at the same point in the loop). That is not a good thing. The whole idea is to keep the heat sink ( and controller) cool.

Would it not be best to have two circulation circuits, one threw the heat sink at one flow rate and threw the radiator at a different flow rate. You can used one pump with ball valves to adjust the different flows or use two pumps with flow adjusters which both loops circulates back to a holding tank.

Again, not a good idea. If you have different flow rates, then one of the two components ( radiator or heat sink) has to have a portion of its output fed directly back to its input. That is inefficient. You want the radiator and heat sink to be in series.

Phil

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/<http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/>

Roland:

> Do what I did, use the heated liquid type in the existing heater core
> position, and use a ceramic under dash type.  My under dash  heater is way
> back and you cannot even see it.  I have two, one for the driver and one
> for the passenger side.

Are you talking about those 12 V 300 Watt ceramic heaters? Or 120V?

mm.

I think maybe the first thermostat was more obstructive. Big wax pellet
type and a small opening amount on the assumtion a car needing 160 was
not going to need much flow?. The 195 assumed the opposite?

A little thermo:
The dq/dt,   amount of heat moving accross an interface in a period of
time is determined by the sum of the thermal resistances,  The
difference in temperature and the specific heat of the "coolant"

So the slower moving fluid transfers less heat per second as the
difference in temperature fades, replacing it with fluid that has a
higher differential increases heat transfer.  There is however an
assomtopical (deminishing return) point above the specific heat of water
where moving it faster wastes energy pumping and provides little added
benifit. (4gpm in 1/4" pipe passageways and a 4 degree warmer outlet
than in is what we strive for in water cooled thermoplastics, 10degree
is what we strive for in the chiller heat exchanger, freon ya know)

There is a number called the reynolds number at which the flow
transitions from laminar to turbulent. At really slow flows it is
possible to fall into a laminar flow situation and create a boundry
layer problem that allows the coolant near the interface to insulate
from the cold fluid flowing thru the center of the passage. This is hard
to achieve with water but too much antifreeze can alter the point that
this takes effect, turbulence is easy and in radiators(heatsinks,heat
exchangers) desired.

PS antifreeze(propolene or is it ethelyne?  glycol) reduces heat
transfer. a 25% mix reduces transfer as much as 10%.

I think one last point is that comparing this to a car is a little off
for this reason, a drop of 10 degrees on water in a car radiator doesn't
effect heat transfer much, the differential to air temp is still large,
but on a controller, a loss of 10 degrees could mean a loss of 1/2 the
cooling capacity, so twice the surface area and flow needed in the
radiator is a good idea. (fool cells are discovering the need for 3
times the radiator surface as ICE because the heat is "low grade" the
differential to air temp is smaller.

I have 2 thermo books around here somewhere if someone needs formula's,
contact me off list and I will look for them.

Folks,

I just bought some automotive power wire from an eBay seller, and was
delivered a product which is not what was advertised in the auction, or on
the product box itself.  What hurts most is that I'm at fault to a
significant extent, in that the product had a price low enough to be
marginally unrealistic. But my stupidity as a consumer should not be a
justification for deception from the seller and manufacturer.

The jacket is a reasonable diameter for a 4 gauge wire, but when looked at
in cross section, immediately noticeable is that the copper conductor is
smaller in diameter than that of a 6 gauge cable.  I figure the actual
conductor is somewhere between a 6 and 8 gauge in size.  Nowhere near the
4 gauge that is claimed on the box.  Surrounding this is an absurd
thickness of insulation for a 12V product, which gives the impression of a
willful attempt to deceive consumers.

I have a picture of the product next to a 6ga wire from Waytek, which I
think captures the situation pretty clearly:

http://ohmbre.org/temp_upload/wire_fraud.jpg

Is wire gauge a sufficiently recognized standard that this could be
considered false advertising in a legal sense?

  --chris

Nick, it is my understanding that _all_ 900 RAV-4EVs
are on the road.  Either the original fleet lessee has
them, or they've gone back to Toyota and have been
sent to people who submit a not-for-profit proposal to
Toyota.
peace,

--- Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the info so far, everyone.
>
> Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know
> approximately how many RAV4 EVs
> and Altra EVs are still around driving today?
>
> --
> -Nick
> http://Go.DriveEV.com/
> 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
> ---------------------------

'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V (video or DVD available)!
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Taiwan Headlines

Breakthrough in power storage allows a year's driving without recharging

-- October 28, 2005 --

Electric cars are great energy-savers, and good for the environment,
too. But it's troublesome to have to charge their batteries all the
time. For this reason, Su Jinzhu, a resident of Taiping City in Taichung
County, has invented a "Reserve Power Transformer and Transmitter
Apparatus" that can make one charge last a full year. Su has received a
10-year patent for his invention, and various companies are inquiring
about producing the device.

Su, 60, only has an elementary-school education. In his youth, he worked
as a repairman at a well-known motorcycle factory. Later on, he designed
"special machinery" for various people. Su feels that electric vehicles
are the wave of the future, so he has devoted himself to the research
and development of a super-strong electric storage battery.

Su says that electric vehicles in many countries use power from
conventional batteries for their drives. After they have been driven a
certain distance, it's necessary to recharge the batteries. This is why
the vehicles have not become more widespread or commercial popular. The
storage battery Su has invented requires no charging, and can be used
for a year or even two.

Su says that this environmentally friendly storage battery uses 12
conventional battery cells inside, and has a circuit controller that
starts the motor. A "flywheel" is used to connect to the starter. The
power generated by the generator is partially diverted to the drive of
the vehicle and partly recycled to charge the battery cells. Within the
service life of the storage battery, the vehicle may be continuously
driven; it does not require a fresh charge every 100 kilometers or so,
as is the case with current electric vehicles.

Hey,
 I think this thread should hook up with the
"Radiator" thread and use thier radiator as your
heater core.  Just think of the waste.
Jimmy

--- Philippe Borges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Now i have instant heat, i definitely can't wait
> anymore for heat, not even
> 3 minutes !
> I have a webasto gasoline heater which take 3 to 4
> minutes to provide enough

Phil Marino wrote:

Q = M x C x Delta T

Q = Heat transfer
M = Mass of coolant flow
C = is a Constant (specific heat of water)
Delta T = coolant temp in - coolant temp out

With higher flows in a closed system, the Delta T (coolant temp in - coolant temp out) will be lower, meaning less heat removal, meaning warmer heat source.

With a sufficiently large heat sink (radiator), this is a non-issue.

Obviously, with this equation, if your rate is too low, then you'll also suffer with poor heat removal, while your Delta T will be high.

Eric - you missed something really important here.

You're right that Delta T goes down if you increase the flow rate. But, M - Mass of coolant flow- is higher ( after all, that is why Delta T drops) , so Q will never drop with increasing coolant flow.

Correct, but the other half of the system, the radiator, has to be large enough to accommodate the desired delta T, or else higher flow rates won't help. Besides, with a lower Delta T, your heat source (controller water block) will have a steady-state temperature thats further above ambient temperature than a lower flow, because of the higher temperature of the incoming water -- this is undesirable, considering the lowest the incoming water can be is ambient.
Two hub motors to go:

http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4686/

--
Paul Wujek   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Connected up the pump and it is pretty quiet until it is mounted to the
sheet metal of the car.

It is ok, but I wouldn't classify it as quiet. I will try mounting it a
little different to see if it can be made quiter.

Is it April 1st already?

It's gratifying to see that SOMEONE has finally added a generator to an EV so that we can both charge and drive at the same time. I didn't even know that an EV needed a starter.

Good thing this guy didn't let an education get in the way of his discovery. 8^)

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM/YM - ktrough
FAX/voice message - 206-339-VOLT (8658)

I would love to have them, also; I have 60 cells (Trojans), so it is also
for me more than I can afford right now. What would the price be in
quantity?

Joseph H. Strubhar

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web: www.gremcoinc.com
From: Edward Ang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2005/10/27 Thu AM 11:29:35 EST
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Doug,

You are in for some unexpected surprises.  The Prius
would complain with a "Hybrid System Error" if you try
to recharge the HV pack with the car on.  I did the
experiment myself.  You will have to disconnect the
12V battery to clear the error.

As far as I know, you could get around it if you only
power up the HV pack ECU and not the car.  This way,
the battery ECU keeps track of the SOC.  And, the next
time you power up the car, it tells the car its new
SOC.

Ed Ang
AIR Lab Corp.

Very cool report.

Yes, the Non Buck PFCs will run on DC. We have been considering offering a
kit to allow the buck PFCs to operate correctly from DC. If you try to
operate a buck PFC from DC, the current will be uncontrolled. As soon as you
turn the current knob up, the output current will go to maximum design
current. This can overload the input breaker and cause it to open. You must
disconnect the input current sensor and use the power board current sensor
to get the current control to work.

Yes, the breakers are rated only for AC. I was told there is a DC version
available that fits in the same chassis hole. The AC breaker will make the
circuit OK but cannot break the circuit under load. The biggest danger
occurs if there is a fault in the charger causing an overcurrent and the
breaker needs to interrupt the current. This situation can cause an
unmanageable amount of uncontrolled heat in the charger. Just turning the
breaker off under load could cause a similar problem. If you are using the
charger on DC, you must change the breaker to a DC rated unit to be properly
protected.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder