  1) Re: (AC prop reductive charger;) Isolation importance?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: old batteries & the usefullnes of desulfators
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Motor control for direct drive setup
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Emergency disconnect idea, was Motor control for direct drive setup
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: links on evproduction.org wiki
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Sell me some battery heaters
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: S10 pickup
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: PFC Charger - will it work for a NICAD Mini Cooper EV?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: S10 pickup
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE:S10 pickup
        by "Chris Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Motor control for direct drive setup
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Schwinn Stingray possible dud. Smoking after 1/2 block & not the tires.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Schwinn Stingray possible dud. Smoking after 1/2 block & not the tires.
 14) Re: S10 pickup
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: S10 pickup
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) RE: Schwinn Stingray possible dud. Smoking after 1/2 block & not
        the tires.
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Are these chargers any different?g
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Setting up a Direct Drive
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Are these chargers any different?g
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Yet another e-bay find
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Performance Discrepancies / Questions
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Generating line power from cars
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Generating line power from cars
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Series/parallel fields, motor age?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Osmo Sarin wrote:
> I´m very interested to hear comments on this one about AC grounding. Is
> it a potential shock hazard? Is AC more dangerous than DC in this
> respect?

It's another one of those problems that has nothing to do with AC vs. DC.
Rather, it is a consequence of using a high-frequency switcher for your
charger and/or controller.

Every wire in your EV's high voltage propulsion system has capacitance to
ground. Large conductors, laying right against the metal body, for long
distances, all conspire to create relatively large capacitances.

If you use a plain old 60 Hz transformer-based charger, and a plain old
contactor controller, the AC current in all these capacitors is low enough to
ignore. It won't reach 5ma, and won't trip a GFCI, and won't represent a
shock hazard if, for example, the ground wire breaks while you are charging
and someone touches the car body and actual earth ground.

If you have a high-frequency switcher for a charger, then this same stray
capacitance can carry a substantially higher current. Now you *can* get over
5ma, trip the GFCI, or get a shock.
--
Lee A. Hart    814 8th Ave N    Sartell MN 56377    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

paul wiley wrote:
> what do you think of pulse chargers or battery desulfators?

In general, I think they are a waste of money.

> The batts i have now are 10yrs + in age.

I can appreciate your desire to somehow get a little more life out of them,
but at 10 years old, they are going to be pretty far gone no matter what you
do with them. Your best bet is to recycle them and buy new batteries.
--

David Dymaxion wrote:
> Suppose you are stopped on a very steep hill and need to get going.
> The DC motor puts a lot of current through a fraction of the motor's
> comm bars and windings. In contrast, the AC motor spreads its heat
> throughout all the field coils and the whole armature. It seems the
> DC motor would have to be maybe 4 or more times the weight of the
> AC motor to avoid melting something in this situation.

If the motor is literally stalled (0 rpm), then only the commutator bars
directly under the brushes are carrying any current. In this case, yes; you
will burn up those bars in a matter of seconds at high current.

But if the motor is turning at all, even a few rpm, that is sufficient to
spread the heat out over the entire commutator.

Permanent magnet AC motors suffer from similar problems. When they are at
stall, all the current is flowing in one of the phase windings. This winding
can also overheat and fail, though it's a matter of minutes rather than
seconds.

Induction motors always "slip", so the magnetic field is rotating slowly even
if the rotor is stalled. The hazard here is not from overheating the
windings, but from burning up the rotor windings.

> But just theoretically, is there some elegant trick that for the same
> kg would make the DC motor as resistant to melting something as an
> AC motor?

Sure; that's what a controller's current limit is for! All that's missing from
a cheap controller (like the Curtis) is a way to sense stall and limit the
current lower if the motor is not moving at all.
--
Lee A. Hart    814 8th Ave N    Sartell MN 56377    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

And then there is the military option.

A piece of det cord inside a conductor inside a fuse housing, hit a big
red button and bam! the fuse blows. (You will still have the
superconducting plasma channel like when a fuse blows, but it squeltches
pretty fast if you don't have excess current carrier vaporized in the
enclousure.

My thought was 2 main contactors, one as a crowbar and a mushroom
button, Pull up on it and it energizes the crowbar opening the circuit,
hit it and it drops the main and shorts the crowbar poping the correctly
sized breaker or blowing the fuse. This could be tied into the circuit
for airbag.

I like the stomp fuse, great idea. but all of us must realize that there
is little time to react if the failure is sitting at a stoplight "in
gear" (direct drive).

What about this? Since my foot is already on brake, we amplify that
"intent".  We take the brake light signal to a relay that energizes
safety circuit, safety circuit ejects fuse or pops breaker or whatever
if over 100 amps. Now my foot is already on the brake, if it lurches
forward, my natural tendency is to stomp on the brakes anyway and the
circuit pops mid lurch. This way noone gets hit with commutator
schrapnel.  this also can be tied to inertia switch.

Fortunat:

You are right - sort of. In this special case, the DMCA (digital millenium
copyright act) was used to fight off an competitor.

Here is a better link:

http://www.phillipsnizer.com/library/cases/lib_case316.cfm

It says there:

This in turn led the Court to conclude that Lexmark was likely to prevail
on its DMCA claims for three independent reasons:  (1) the chips were
specifically developed to circumvent the authentication sequence;  (2) the
chips had no commercial purpose other than circumventing that sequence;
and (3) the chips are marketed as being capable of circumventing that
authentication sequence.

What does that mean? If, say, a motor would be 'married' to a transmission
by using some sort of authentification sequence, neither some third party
nor ANYBODY ELSE would be allowed to circumvent this mechanism in order to
replace the motor with something else.

"Box-Wrap" Patent Infringement

What's that, you ask? Evidently, it's when you ignore the terms written on
the side of Lexmark printer cartridge box, refilling the cartridge with
ink even when the company has designated it "single use only." According
to the Ninth Circuit ruling [PDF] this week in ACRA v. Lexmark, opening
the package means you agree to Lexmark's wishes. And if you break that
agreement, you could face claims under contract and patent law.

http://www.corante.com/copyfight/archives/2005/09/02/the_latest_ip_crime_boxwrap_patent_infringement.php

More about that: http://techdirt.com/articles/20050906/0230233_F.shtml

But let's go back to the original point. I was suggesting to build some
kind of 'umbrella' so we would at least speak with a one voice and be able
to have at least some power, lobby, representation and a little
protection.

Michaela

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- another thought for battery warmer would be the pipe warmer that you plug in the wall. might be heavier wire than the soil warmers...

Roy LeMeur wrote:

Hi Folks

I am doing some comparison shopping for flat battery heaters, I know there are quite a few different ones.

Reliability is more important than low cost.

Looking for a reliable product and supplier.

Please contact me off-list.

roylemeur at hotmail dot com

Thanks!
.

Roy LeMeur
Olympia WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

Sounds like that thing is gonna be a hoot.  If you would rather have
glass.....

I autocrossed my mitsubishi pu and my rear rollbar supports go thru the
back window and to the floor of the bed (on closer inspection you will
find that the frame has been extended up to the bed floor and the bed
floor hammered flat :-)  )  The point was, it was also my daily driver
and I wanted safety glass back there.  It turned out to be cheaper and
easier than I thought.

Made a pattern out of 1/8 masonite that went around the roll bars and
the metal plates that attached to the bars and went into the rubber
gasket like the old glass did .
Took that to a local glass shop that cut it out of regular window glass,
they sent it to the oven to heat treat it and put a tint in the glass.
$39.00 it has been in there over 10 years.

Thats when I found out you don't cut safety glass.

The PFC is a CC/CV charger.  I.e. charges at a specific current up to the
acceptance voltage then charges at the acceptance voltage until a timer
shuts it off (there are other turn off options as well).  Talk to Rich or
Joe about charging NiCads **before** purchasing the charger as there may be
specific requirements for that chemistry.

Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

 Date:  12/17/05 7:58:39 PM Pacific Standard Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryan Stotts)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 >  What do you estimate the truck will run in the 1/4?
 > ** 10.50 with lead, although its being made NHRA legal for a 9.90 class.

 What kind of range do you think it might get on the street with lead?
 Are you going to run 29 bats for 348 volts?
 *Its going to be 30 bateries spliting tthe pack into 3 sections.
 >  What are you using for the connection between the motor and the 9"?
 > **3.5inch dia.47inch Mark Williams shaft

 Are you getting the motor shaft cut to accept a transmission slip
 yoke(which one)?
 **My motor shaft is splined.
 -----

 I could save quite a bit of money if I went this route and not use a
 transmission.. not to mention, not having to deal with clutch disc
 replacements..

 I just wonder about range issues at highways speeds not being able to
 adjust the motor rpm like one would be able to with a manual
 transmission.. >>
**I will be happy with just 25 miles

Lawrence,

To test what your gearing should be, you could use the *front*
sprockets of a bike.
But I agree that stronger sprockets are in place when you are
applying power to go way over 30 MPH.
You may be able to find moped sprockets or just order stronger
(industrial?) sprockets or have them machined for a stronger
chain type.
Classmates in highschool were wrenching on their mopeds to
increase power and some were going over 100 km/h but
invariably they broke the teeth off their sprockets or ate
chains when they used the stock parts (max speed for mopeds
was 40 km/h outside city limits and there is a legal limit
to the amount of power the engine is allowed to produce in NL)

BTW - do you know (have you calculated) the RPM of your motor?

If you have a 20" wheel then at 40 MPH it will rotate at
40mi/(60min x pi x 20in) = 2534400in/3770min*in = 672 RPM.
Your gearing will up that to 672 x 36/7 = 3457 RPM.
That does not sound like a small motor's redline to me, but
what is your motor redline?

Another data point - what is your motor current?

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-501-641-8576
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Don Cameron wrote:
> can a charger automatically detect whether it is charging a wet lead acid,
> gel or agm?

It can guess; but this guess is of limited accuracy. There is no guaranteed
method to tell the difference between a flooded, gel, or AGM simply from its
charging voltage/current characteristics.

I suspect they are making some assumption, such as "floodeds have higher
internal resistance". Then they measure the internal resistance, such as by
looking at the voltage change at two different charging currents. If the
internal resistance is "low", they assume it's an AGM (but it could also be a
flooded starting battery). If the internal resistance is "high" they assume
it is flooded (but it could also be an old AGM).

> And my point was: it can cause a battery harm if it is charged with the
> wrong manufacturer's specification. If I charged my Gel batteries with more
> than 2.35 V per cell at 20 deg C, it will eventually ruin the battery,
> whereas an AGM can take more voltage.

Well... it's more complicated than that. Charging a gel cell to higher
voltages won't actually hurt it, as long as you KNOW you aren't putting in an
excessive number of amphours.

If I wanted to make a charger that "automatically" picked the right algorithm,
I'd have it watch the amphours actually removed during discharge, and put
back that many plus about 2-10% more. As it's putting in the overcharge, it
would watch the actual voltage; when it stops rising, the battery is "full".
See how many extra amphours it took to get to this point. If it only took
2-3% more, it's a gel; if it took 3-5% it's an AGM, and if it took 5% or
more, it's flooded.

But this algorithm will still fail if you try it on an old battery.
--

Jim Coate wrote:
> I had seriously considered a "hybrid drive" AC/DC motor combo a while
> back. The dual motors were combined with dual batteries packs - one
> LiIon and one AGM. So the AC motor and LiIons did the basic cruising
> propulsion (and regen); the DC motor powered by the small AGM pack
> kicked in for more power when the accelerator is pushed down further.

I've considered this as well. Use a small, efficient AC motor for cruising,
and a larger DC motor for rapid accelleration and hill-climbing. An
efficienct EV shouldn't need more than 5-10kw or so of AC power; that's a
fairly small motor and industrial inverter, 1/10th the size (and cost) of
what it would take if the AC drive had to do everything itself. Then have a
big series motor and simple PWM controller that can produce 50-100kw peak.
The key is that it only needs to do so for short periods of time; it never
needs to run continuous-duty.

> As a ground up production type vehicle it would be a ridiculously
> complicated way to do things.

Normal cars are already ridiculously complicated! How could this be any worse?
--
Lee A. Hart    814 8th Ave N    Sartell MN 56377    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Or it's a large, warm floodie versus a smaller, cold AGM. These wouldn't seem differentiable by resistance. And if you had to program the capacity in, it would seem logical to declare battery type in the same way.

Do we actually know of any charger making this claim?

It can guess; but this guess is of limited accuracy. There is no guaranteed method to tell the difference between a flooded, gel, or AGM simply from its charging voltage/current characteristics.

I suspect they are making some assumption, such as "floodeds have higher internal resistance". Then they measure the internal resistance, such as by looking at the voltage change at two different charging currents. If the internal resistance is "low", they assume it's an AGM (but it could also be a flooded starting battery). If the internal resistance is "high" they assume it is flooded (but it could also be an old AGM).

You are forgetting the 5 in the front, where the radiator used to be.
Ad also says 8 in front and 10 in rear = 18 = 108V, a rather common voltage
for that time. Should still be Highway-capable, but may be nicknamed
"el sluggo" by some. Many have experience with these type of setups.

Regards.