  1) =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Circuit_breakers,_fuses,_GFCI=B4s_=28newbie?=
 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=29?=
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Multi charger.
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: 3kw genset for $315
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Finally back on the road. AC Li-ion upgrade (Long)
        by "Peter Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Porsche 911 Was: How many amps driving my EV?
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 1209 or 1221B parts
  7) Re: Finally back on the road. AC Li-ion upgrade (Long)
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery sound monitoring
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Battery Pack Heating
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: 80 miles in a Porsche 911?
 11) RE: Battery Pack Heating
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Porsche 911 Was: How many amps driving my EV?
 13) RE: 3kw genset for $315
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: 1209 or 1221B parts
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Crazy DC regen idea
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Some of my latest DC-AC Li-Ion upgrade photos.
        by "Peter Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Some of my latest DC-AC Li-Ion upgrade photos.
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Some of my latest DC-AC Li-Ion upgrade photos.
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Some of my latest DC-AC Li-Ion upgrade photos.
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Some of my latest DC-AC Li-Ion upgrade photos.
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Motor options
 Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The goal is always to build so the leakage current is as close to zero
as possible. Leakage currents create a shock hazard, increase noise,
promote corrosion, and add stress to components.

The DC GFCI's are there to detect leakage current, as a predictor of
trouble. The source of the leakage current could be someone touching the
high voltage DC wiring and ground, a leaky or dirty battery, water
getting into some part of the HV system, insulation breakdown somewhere,
etc. All of these indicate trouble!

Sounds like DC GFCI is very useful if problems occur, and should be included in every conversion. So why isn´t that the case? According to your description, making one isn´t even very difficult or expensive?

With my very limited understanding of all of this, GFCI seems to be more important than a circuit breaker as a safety equipment, if you have to choose only one of them because of limited space or to cut down costs - supposing you have fuses to cut overcurrent anyway. Circuit breaker´s another function, to separate battery back, could be done using a simple switch?

Just my 2 euro-cents worth

Osmo

I guess I am in both camps then.
On M,W,F the charger is always done before I go to lunch and done before
I go home or wake up in the morning.even on 110V
but on tuesday and thursday I can't quiet get a full charge on the pack
after lunch because I work a short day to go to school, I plug in when I
get home but only for an hour. at 110V into a 300V pack with 15amp
breakers I can only put 4 amps into the pack. Depending on what time I
got lunch, that isn't enough time to put enough in to go to school
without pushing below 80% DOD. On those days I need a quick charge.

Back to the subject of modular chargeers. I had a reg board fail(cause I
let it get wet, duh!) anyhow, it got stuck bypassing and shut the
charger down to 1/2 amp draining the battery to 6volts by the morning,
while plugged in. "Stuck bypassing" is a failure mode less associated
with the individual chargers. Monitoring with alarms is really the only
way to be sure and that goes for either type of balancer/charger and I
believe the motivation behind MK3 s.  Let us not forget we(ok, Rich,
Otmar, Victor, Lee and others, maybe not me) are the developers/beta
testers and early adopters. We have to welcome the variences in design.
When we stop trying new ways that is when we are dead. I first thought
25K for a battery pack was not feasable, now I am wondering about my
next pack, could they be kokam's?

As a matter of fact I have 2 ideas for battery chargeing/managing
systems, one centered around the pfc20 that would increase it's
balancing speed and one that uses distributed boards to charge each
battery at it's own rate to all reach full at same time. Thes would be
driven off of a high frequency power buss. The pack would determine
which is best, [EMAIL PROTECTED] blocks vs [EMAIL PROTECTED] blocks, makes a
big difference .

Cor van de water said
snip

>It does not make environmental sense (a genset
>pollutes at least ten times as bad as a regular
>car
snip

Does that have to be that way? I want to make a gentrailer to extend my range
for those out of town trips.
I was thinking of either a 400hz aircraft generator or a PM generator for the
DC end direct to the pack since every conversion costs and generatig power is
already one conversion. (Although, I have an idea about that)

What kind of motor can I get to run this effiently, can it run on the propane
tanks that can be found at orchard supply and RV places?
sterling? turbine, piston, rotory, atkinson? I mean, what is avail in low
emmision small motors?
How about a newer, smog equiped motorcycle or a little 3cyl geo motor.

My biggest problem is the drive I want is 100 miles ending in a 2000-3000 foot
climb, that is some serious amps.

The Idea : since most internal combustion engines are only 25% effient, the
other 75% is given off in heat. That means there is more energy available from
the exhaust heat than is avil from the shaft. Maybe we can come up with an
inexpensive method($,weight,space) to convert this heat to power, perhaps a
thermocouple battery, Peltiers are so expensive but they would be a heck of a
way to charge the added batteries in a hybrid :-)

Dear All

After a false start due to propshaft problem, finally back on the road
today.

Just been on a gentle 10 mile trip. Sweet as a nut. Smooth and silent. Final
AC controller tweaking and should be OK.

Need to travel to a couple of hills for some regen testing.

Better update my web site now.

Regards

Peter UK

Old update and pics below.

Dear List Members.

It works!

The wheels go round! And the right way. Well they do now, after I swaped the
motor connections, and corrected one wiring mistake on the throttle pot!

Initial one mile road test thoughts,

1) Much improved acceleration and start ability.

2) Regeneration! Great, not had that before :)

3) Quieter at crusing speed. Only road/tyre/wind noise now.

Cedric Lynch Li-Ion cell protectors all ok.

Modified Zivan 3kw 25A IUa NG3 onboard charger functioning ok

Home made 6kw 55A offboard charger functioning ok.

Battery heater ok, temp 20C.

Vehicle is now on charge, receiving a CV balancing charge for a few hours,
probably overnight, TS 200ah cells have been stood for 4-5 months. Inter
cell voltage variation <75mv.

28 cells, pack voltage is steady at 117v and current is slowly falling. Less
than 4A now.

A bit more fiddling to do (A project like this is never finished really!),
and some adjustments to AC controller parameters to make.

I'll pass on performance tests asap.

PS

I have a Zapi programming console now, if anyone in the UK ever needs to
borrow one.

Peter

www.solarvan.co.uk

See below for old update and pics/specs

Dear Members

Some of you will know I am doing a low cost, low voltage DC to AC upgrade at
present. (New information and progress report is at the bottom of this mail)

I will soon be running a 96v 450A Zapi 3phase ac controller with regen and a
96v 3phase 12kw con rated induction motor.

The motor and controller cost me £2000 brand new.

I am lucky enough to own a pack of 200Ah TS cells and can report good life
and performance in the 2+ years I have had them.

A few links for interest are here.

http://www.electrofit-zapi.com/hfacinverters.htm

www.solarvan.co.uk

The motor came from Best Motors in Italy.

http://www.bestmotor.it/frameset_ei.html

They do not list AC motors on the site, but do supply them to order and
spec.

Zapi only supply a controller with a motor, as they require matching. That's
why I ended up with an Italian motor as well.

Curtis operate the same policy I think. You will be lucky if they sell you a
controller without a motor.

I went for the Zapi controller as it allowed a higher voltage 96v instead of
the curtis 80v.

A couple of pics of the motor/controller versus my old 120v 400A curtis
stuff are here, as are motor spec drawing, motor torque voltage curves and
Zapi AC controller manual.

www.solarvan.co.uk/ac017.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/ac021.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/bestmotor.pdf

www.solarvan.co.uk/ac3manual.pdf

www.solarvan.co.uk/MVC-001F.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/MVC-002F.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/MVC-003F.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/MVC-004F.jpg

www.solarvan.co.uk/MVC-005F.jpg

Hope to get upgrade finished by 010406

New for 04/02/06 are ten more pictures of my current progress.

They are at www.solarvan.co.uk/ac01.jpg to www.solarvan.co.uk/ac10.jpg
inclusive. Just change the number to get the other pictures. They are about
350kb each to give full detail.

My TS Cells are now contained in a false floor battery and insulation layer
cake inside the vehicle. They are securely strapped down with that 12mm
300kg breaking strain nylon packing tape, tensioned and crimped, two straps
per cell to about 100kg each. I have a full set of crimping, tensioning
tools, crimps and miles of tape if anyone wants to borrow it in UK. It was
excellent for securing and compressing cells. Fits perefectly into slots in
TS cells.

Basically the floor is raised about 6 inches now.

It's layered as follows.

1st layer, onto original van metal floor, 25mm Kingspan silvered insulation.

2nd layer, 9mm plywood sheet drilled and bolted through insulation and metal
vehicle floor, drilled and fitted with 12mm strapping before placing in
vehicle.

3rd layer, 28x200ah TS Cells laid out as you see, and securely strapped
down, with white electric blanket heating wire underneath all cells to keep
them warm.

Note, sides also filled with blocks of Kingspan insulation to make a sealed
compartment.

4th layer, sheet of 2mm ultra lightweight compressible foam to seal gaps
between edges and top sheet of thermo insulation, and to provide electrical
insulation between silvered side of thermo insulation and cells. Well you
never know, a loose wire can occur!

5th layer, another sheet of 25mm Kingspan silvered insulation.

6th layer, a sheet of 12mm plywood to provide load flooring, bolted through
layers to vehicle metal body.

7th layer, Carpet! Not yet fitted as you see.

I was happy to sacrifice some load space to allow the secure and insulated
fitting of the most expensive item, the battery pack!

The under cell mains powered heating is thermostat controlled, and shuts off
when cells reach 25C.

I have left provision for forced air ventilation through cells if required,
but I will monitor pack temp and see if I actually need to fit this!

The ambient temp is quite low here in Northern England, I don't envisage
overheating will be a major problem.

The underseat electronics compartment is coming along well. It's still wires
all over the place at the moment, but I'm pretty pleased with progress.

The AC motor is now in situ underneath the vehicle on a very secure mild
steel mounting as you can see.

My ETA of 01/04/06 looks quite acheivable at present.

I will update my website when it's finally done.

Regards

Peter Perkins.

Chilly in the UK!

Danny Miller wrote:
A Porshe 911 with half a VW bug behind it...  hilarious!

As an owner of a 68 Porsche 911L, I would be very wary of adding extra weight in the back of the car. Unlike the 914, the 911 tends to be very "tail happy" and the rear end does break loose.

This effect is more.... pronounced on the 65-68 models, in 1969 Porsche moved the wheelbase a bit back to make it better.

Typically when you drive a 911L, you learn how to use the motor to steer the rear wheels. If you are in a turn and you pour on the power, the rear end "tucks in" and you can take the turn quicker. However you are now getting into a funny place: If you run out of power before you run out of turn you run out of luck.

If you don't add power, you will slide. If you dare to take your foot off the throttle, the rear end will swing out. This is extremely handy for making a *very* tight turn, as you can let off the throttle, swing the car around, then pour on the power to tuck the rear end back in.

If you hit the brakes in a turn, well you die. End of story, the car will spin fast and hard, and that will be that.

I have been concerned about the idea of a battery powered 911. You would not have the power needed to drive out of a rear slide, and adding that much weight to the back of the car would increase the possibility of spinning out anyway. My 911L has a pair of 40lb lead weights put into the ends of the front bumper to try and mitigae this; 69-73 911's used a pair of batteries up front to try and fix this.

I would strongly recommend a 914. I've owned one of those, and they have their weight more towards the center.

Just a thought

--- Begin Message --- They haven't produced the B version in quite some time, as it was replaced by the C, which has better low speed/high
current internal protection

Does that mean they have different rampup? I have noticed a lot of people don't like them as much as the B model. LR>..........
Congrats, Peter!  Looking forward to reading all about it.

-Jerry

http://www.evconvert.com/

On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Peter Perkins wrote:

Dear All

After a false start due to propshaft problem, finally back on the road
today.

Just been on a gentle 10 mile trip. Sweet as a nut. Smooth and silent. Final
AC controller tweaking and should be OK.

Need to travel to a couple of hills for some regen testing.

Better update my web site now.

Regards

Peter UK

That's a great idea. Something used to pick up vibrations rather than
sounds may be better than an actual sound pickup device. Since I have
this huge pack that's junk I might as well learn from it what I can.

Mike

--- Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would say that this will work at least for the floodies.
> And a nice robust unit may be had in the form of the knock sensors
> used
> in newer cars, it is a microphone they feed 5v to ground and the
> average
> current is the degree of knocking.

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

Trust me, 4 strings was so NOT my idea. That's how I got the truck.
It's bad. I spot tested a few Hawkers last night. Even the new ones
that were 16 minutes at 40 amps are now 13 minute batterys. There could
be a temperature curve in there. But the older batts went from 10
minutes at 40 amps to 3-4 minutes last night.

As much as I hate doing the work, maybe adding another box and going
for the 100ah batts would simplify things after th einitial
installation shock.

Mike