  1) Allbright ED250B Template needed
        by mreish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: How much battery capacity would this require?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Automatic, Manual, or CVT?
        by "Jacob Portukalian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: MN NEV law
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Automatic, Manual, or CVT?
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Introduction - Where I am coming from
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Introduction - Where I am coming from
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone is happy.
 18) Re: MN NEV law
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Automatic, Manual, or CVT?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: NiCd bus on eBay
        by William Brinsmead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Introduction - Where I am coming from
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone is happy.
        by Tom Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Look Mommy, it's the Ice Cream Car!
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello All,

I'm building a new dash and need the mounting template that came with the Allbright ED250B battery disconnect. I misplaced mine and the idea of guessing isn't high on my list.

Can someone scan theirs or shoot me the numbers?

Thankya, thankyaverymuch.

--

The Electric Motorcycle Portal
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/

Electric Motorcycle Listserv
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/listserv

I'd like a resolution of 0.1v.

  Here is one on ebay. It is nice and compact yet should be easily readable.
Eleven or twelve of these (1 per battery) would fit easily over the lower
center console forward of the transmission shift lever.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7609330553&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

  Anyone have a link to a similar product here in U.S.?

  The meters require a 5 volt power supply. I'd like to think I could easily
buy a 12Vdc to 5Vdc power supply, use adapter to cigarette lighter, run all the
meters from it, and thus easily unplug them when not in use.

  Anyone have a link to a suitable power supply?

  The meters can be installed in any panel with a thickness of 0.5mm - 3.0 mm.
Where would a suitable panel be found?

  Mark

Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Mark Freidberg wrote:

> Seeking one suitable for 12 volt battery monitoring. Anyone have a link to
> the tiniest?

How accurate? Small implies hard to read.

A single LED is about as small as you can get. You can wire it to change
color or brightness to indicate voltage.

There are tiny analog meters as small as 1/2" square. They would be hard
to read accurately, but easy to spot the relative voltage between a row
of them.

Beyond that, you could build something with a single LED or LCD graphic
display, with circuitry to display a bargraph for each battery and
perhaps the highest or lowest voltage in a larger format.

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

Roland Wiench writes:

> I have been driving a EV for 30 years, and have not once been ask how much
> it cost.  I think it would be like how much you make.

I had my Geo Prizm at a local Earth Day event Saturday, and talked to about
20 people.  Almost every one of them asked how much the conversion cost.
I think this is a valid question for someone considering doing a conversion.
Not many people are able to buy something obviously expensive without regard
to cost.

> Ninety nine percent of the time, its how far can you go, how long does it
> take to charge and how fast.

In addition to these questions, a lot of people asked how it was recharged.
Many people were truely surprised to learn that my car could recharge from
a standard wall outlet.

Ralph

Mike Phillips wrote:
> Since the zeners taper on, would it be effective to just use a
> resistor with an led across it? The led would just be for a visual
> indicator. It's not constant current, but it's less likely to have a
> bulb element fail in a location that's hard to access.

You could, but it wouldn't work as well. You'd need to use a power
resistor (3v x 0.5a = 1.5 watts, so a 3w resistor). Without the lamp's
current limiting, it won't clamp as well (draws less current at lower
voltages), and you could overheat the zeners and resistors if the
voltage got too high. You'd need a fuse, or fuse resistor. The LED would
need its own series resistor. The LED wouldn't produce as much light,
unless you used a very expensive one.

Ok. How has the bulb reliability been?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
> > Since the zeners taper on, would it be effective to just use a
> > resistor with an led across it? The led would just be for a visual
> > indicator. It's not constant current, but it's less likely to have a
> > bulb element fail in a location that's hard to access.
>
> You could, but it wouldn't work as well. You'd need to use a power
> resistor (3v x 0.5a = 1.5 watts, so a 3w resistor). Without the lamp's
> current limiting, it won't clamp as well (draws less current at lower
> voltages), and you could overheat the zeners and resistors if the
> voltage got too high. You'd need a fuse, or fuse resistor. The LED would
> need its own series resistor. The LED wouldn't produce as much light,
> unless you used a very expensive one.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Is an 85V 100Ah pack going to cut it? Is that large a pack massive overkill, or just scraping by?

One real world datapoint. On my non faired motorcycle when I had a 48V 100ah pack of flooded Nicads I could ride about 30 miles at 50 mph. Total weight of the motorcycle including rider was probably in the 700 - 800 lb range. I don't think 85v at 100ahr will be enough at the speeds you are talking about. Of course there is a big difference between 60 and 80 mph. Even with a lithium chemistry I think you are bumping up against the limits of what can currently be done. Even though lithium batteries are lighter than my NiCads, they still take up a certain amount of space. I think you will run out of space to mount the batteries before you have enough on board to achieve your goals. If you do get it all working, that will be one sweet EV :-)

damon

Look carefully into the vendors datasheet. Many of those displays need
an isolated power supply.

Bringing all of those wires into the cabin of the vehicle is a serious
high voltage hazard.

Mike

Mark Freidberg wrote:
> I'd like a resolution of 0.1v.

Ok. Recognize that a 0.1v change in a 12v battery represents about a 10%
change in state of charge.

> Here is one on ebay. It is nice and compact yet should be easily
> readable.

I don't see any dimensions. Assuming those are 0.5" high digits, it's
about 1" high and 2" wide. That's not particularly small.

> Anyone have a link to a similar product here in U.S.?

Datel has a line of similar meters; see
<http://www.cd4power.com/data/meters/dpm_pdb1.pdf>
Their smallest are 1.38"w x 0.88"h; that's a 3.5 digit (19.99 format).

> The meters require a 5 volt power supply. I'd like to think I could
> easily buy a 12Vdc to 5Vdc power supply, use adapter to cigarette
> lighter, run all the meters from it

That won't work. All meters of this type have no isolation between their
power supply and the voltage they are measuring. You would have to power
each meter from the battery it is monitoring.

Worse, many of these meters (the cheap ones), cannot measure their own
power supply voltage; the negative of their power supply is NOT the
negative of the voltage they are measuring.

A final challenge is that LEDs are fairly power-hungry. The LED meters
will probably draw 20-30ma, which will drain a 12v battery over a period
of weeks if you don't get around to charging them. The versions with LCD
displays can avoid this, and also are readable in direct sunlight (LEDs
are not).

> Anyone have a link to a suitable power supply?

It would be best to use the battery voltage itself.

> The meters can be installed in any panel with a thickness of
> 0.5mm - 3.0 mm. Where would a suitable panel be found?

I think you would have to make it yourself.

I am planning a conversion and was wanting some input on the transmission.

Automatic, Manual, CVT, or none?

Looking for pros, cons, tips, tricks, caveats, and any other type of
feedback from people that have actually used them.

Thanks,

~Jacob

Mark Freidberg wrote:

I'd like a resolution of 0.1v.

Ok. Recognize that a 0.1v change in a 12v battery represents about a 10%
change in state of charge.

That is true at rest, but if you're building a meter that will be online when the car/whatever is running the key is to keep all the meters roughly in sync.

I would think that what really matters is the difference between batteries, especially under load. If all of them are at 12 volts at full power and one is down at 11.5, that would be very interesting.

The Minnesota Senate and House of Representatives have approved and sent
bill HF1838 to Governor Tim Pawlenty for signing into law. HF1838 was
written at the behest of "E-Ride", a Princeton MN manufacturer of
Neighborhood Electric Vehicles. It allows local governments to permit
electric vehicles on neighborhood streets where the speed limit is less
than 35 mph.

Sec. 2. Minnesota Statutes 2004, section 168.011, subd 9 says:
    The department shall not issue a title for a neighborhood electric
    vehicle (1) that lacks a vehicle identification number, and (2) for
    which a manufacturer's certificate of origin clearly labeling the
    vehicle as a neighborhood electric vehicle or similar designation
    has not been issued. The department shall not issue a vehicle
    identification number to a homemade neighborhood electric or
    low-speed vehicle or retrofitted golf cart, and such vehicles do
    not qualify as neighborhood electric vehicles.

Sec. 4. Minnesota Statutes 2004, section 169.01, Subd. 91.
    "Neighborhood electric vehicle" means an electrically powered motor
    vehicle that has four wheels, and has a speed attainable in one
    mile of at least 20 miles per hour but not more than 25 miles per
    hour on a paved level surface.

It's a step forward, I guess, because present MN law does not recognize
NEVs at all. However, I question the wisdom of banning homemade NEVs,
since there *are* no commercial NEVs being sold in the state!
What's their definition of "commercial" vs "home made"? Usually state law defines all of the terms used in the law. What's to stop you from being a manufacturer? Get a biz license, make up a VIN, and designate it an NEV.

> > I have been driving a EV for 30 years, and have not once been ask how
> > much
> > it cost.  I think it would be like how much you make.
>
> I had my Geo Prizm at a local Earth Day event Saturday, and talked to
> about
> 20 people.  Almost every one of them asked how much the conversion cost.
> I think this is a valid question for someone considering doing a
> conversion.
> Not many people are able to buy something obviously expensive without
> regard
> to cost.
>

> > Ninety nine percent of the time, its how far can you go, how long does
> > it
> > take to charge and how fast.

I now can make that 98.9 percent.  I just got down talking to a Xantrex
technician, and he ask me how much the EV cost.  I ask him how much did it
cost for all your vehicles for the last 30 years.  He said about 1/4
million.  I said my EV with all the up grades, modifications, battery
changes and charging cost, for the last 30 years is about 1/3 of that
amount.

I have notice a technical type of person will ask about the source of supply
for the components which is related to cost. Roland

> In addition to these questions, a lot of people asked how it was
> recharged.
> Many people were truely surprised to learn that my car could recharge from
> a standard wall outlet.
>
> Ralph

The short answer:

Manual or Single Ratio. "None" implies no transmission (gear reduction) at all (direct connect), which is really unlikely.

Slightly longer answer:

* Single Ratio: Most efficient (maybe -- a manual would probably be more efficient), no clutch in case of full-speed runaway (arguable it it's a problem depending on other system components) Need enough amps to drive this setup. Lightest weight, least maintenance. * Manual: Has a clutch and gears, probably the best option for a conversion. Adapter plates readily available for popular conversion targets. * Automatic: Less efficient than SR / Manual, making it shift correctly will be rather "involved". Not a lot of "prior art" to build off of. * CVT: Less efficient than SR / Manual (?), questionable torque capacity, Interfacing would be an exercise for the implementer.

Jacob Portukalian wrote:
I am planning a conversion and was wanting some input on the transmission.

Automatic, Manual, CVT, or none?

Looking for pros, cons, tips, tricks, caveats, and any other type of
feedback from people that have actually used them.

Thanks,

~Jacob

Hi Dave,

Dave Hanna wrote:
I'd like to explore the possibility of creating an EV 4x4 that allows
me to have fun on Jeep trails and something that I can commute in.
I have read about the 'LectricRover' and the 'JeepEV' and both seem
like cool projects.  I guess the question is where should I start?
 So what does everyone think?  Am I crazy in thinking these needs can
realistically be met? Does anyone know of buildups that I could use as a reference?

I think you're already off to a great start by asking the questions you've asked on the EVDL. The biggest frustrations I experienced with my JeepEV project were due to getting (questionable) advice from a single source as well as not being aware of the EVDL or the Electric Auto Association for the first several months of the build.

I don't think you're expectations sound unreasonable... and I think it is very do-able. Just realize that an un-aerodynamic 4x4 is in general going to be more expensive to convert then a typical EV.

I got negative feedback throughout my conversion for picking such an inefficient vehicle as a Cherokee for an EV conversion. But I did it because it hadn't been done before, and I wanted to make it work. Perhaps the results aren't as good as some EVs, but the JeepEV fits my needs well, and is a vehicle I really like; and That's all that matters!

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> This can be done using low cost Golf Cart batteries, 20 ea T-105s
> should do it.  Umm, that's quite a lot of weight in batteries though
> (~1300 lbs), might cause problems if you do a lot of rock crawling.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that using flooded batteries in an EV built for off-road use is a very bad idea. I'd be very concerned about bouncing around and/or extreme angles with batteries where the electrolyte can leak out; or move to one side of the battery, potentially exposing some parts of the plates during operation.

Although more expensive, I think sealed AGM batteries would be better suited for this application. Plus if you're vehicle pulls a lot of power and thus discharges the batteries at a high rate (like mine does); you might be better off with AGMs anyways from a range and life standpoint...

Hope that helps,

--
-Nick
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV

Mike Phillips wrote:
> Ok. How has the bulb reliability been?

None have failed from normal use. I've only burned them out from
connecting a regulator backwards, or physically breaking the bulb from
dropping something on it.

Under normal circumstances, the bulbs never get past a dull orange glow,
because that produces enough light to trigger the charger to cut back
the charging current. Light bulbs last a *long* time at reduced voltage.

Ryan Stotts wrote:
Dave Hanna wrote:

*  Off road driving needs more low speed power and torque.

Your motor choice might be decided by money.

How much motor do you want / how much are you willing to spend?  If
money is not object, then by all means, put the 13" motor in it!

http://www.evsource.com/tls_motors.php

Dave, welcome to the list;

For the mountain areas like Colorado where one can take real
advantage of regen, an AC system will work very nicely
extending your range (or allowing smaller battery for the same range)
and saving on the brake pads - keep in mind it is very hard on brakes
to stop heavier than stock vehicle. If you have regenerative braking, for long downhill runs you may not need to use mechanical brakes at all,
so it in fact is easier on brakes than for stock vehicle.

Consider it, I doubt you will ever regret if you choose it for other reasons too. I'm biased toward AC (I'm one of suppliers), but this
is the case you could really take advantage of having it.

For low speeds ability keep your gear box and transfer case.

This is a comment I got from an EV wannabe.

Hi Lawrence: I've been out of town and am just catching up on various EV posts. I have the Monster Garage episode about the EV conversion on tape if you or anyone may be interested. The ending got cut off though. What happened on the third trial run? I'll save this tape for reference. It has converted me against conversions.
Name excluded.

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519

Eric Poulsen wrote:
> What's their definition of "commercial" vs "home made"? Usually state
> law defines all of the terms used in the law. What's to stop you from
> being a manufacturer? Get a biz license, make up a VIN, and designate
> it an NEV.

I don't know; maybe you could start a business and jump through all the
bureaucratic hoops to build just one.

I'm bothered that it is perfectly legal and straightforward to make a
home built regular car or motorcycle (there are already rules for
licensing them), but they chose to explicitly BAN making your own NEV,
no matter what.

Just think about how easy and inexpensive it would be to convert a
regular car into an NEV with a smallish motor and battery pack. That is
being forbidden.

I would have thought the element would die from vibration. I can see
that with the charger cutting back they would glow dimly. I suspect
most won't have that fancy option. Can we have a schematic?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
> > Ok. How has the bulb reliability been?
>
> None have failed from normal use. I've only burned them out from
> connecting a regulator backwards, or physically breaking the bulb from
> dropping something on it.
>
> Under normal circumstances, the bulbs never get past a dull orange glow,
> because that produces enough light to trigger the charger to cut back
> the charging current. Light bulbs last a *long* time at reduced voltage.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

EMB means electro mechanical batteries

..peekay