  1) Vs: strange problem
        by Seppo Lindborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: CURRENT ELIMINATOR NEWS     NHRA SUMMIT POINTS LEAD?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Regs: 0.35
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Regs, 1.0
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: What is it with CVTs?
  7) Re: Yet another rubbish piece of EV publicity...More Rubbish<g>!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Regs: 0.35
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) How to advance brushes?
        by "Garret Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: What is it with CVTs?
 11) Re: EV Charging station, Hystarical Comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) potbox and acceleration data
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: What is it with CVTs?
 14) Going to the Movies, WAS: Review of Who Killed the Electric Car? on Living
on Earth
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Yet another rubbish piece of EV publicity...
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: e-scooters
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Zilla DAQ 4 mode questions or how to graph a race?
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: e-scooters
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Dual eteks in a 4 wheel vehicle
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Yet another rubbish piece of EV publicity...
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Yet another rubbish piece of EV publicity...
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: What is it with CVTs?
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Just in case, have you checked the condition of the motor brushes?
Seppo

Another daylite to daylite race.....I just got back home from racing
yesterday,my last run was watching the sun come up today.My car backed out of
the
beams at 455am.in the semi final round of NHRAs Summit points race 3.It
happened 2
other times last nite in the left lane.Apperntly when I stage at one eight of
an inch into the beams my rear tires are in a ever so slight pocket so when I
take my foot off the brake and the other lane revs his engine my car rolls
back 1 quarter inch thus shutting off the second stage lite and Disqualifing me
giving me an auto red.Alls good though becuase I took out the points leader
earler in the nite and the 2nd place points car got taken out it round 4.So I
we
think I have taken the points lead back.This is HUGE in NHRA SUMMIT,with over
33 cars in my class I think I have a large points lead on all the other
tracks.The points should be posted by thursday,so its either a tie or I have
retaken the NHRA SUMMIT points race.  YE HA going to bed now at 715 am.

   DENNIS BERUBE   Yes I will look into linelock.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Ok, got 35 of the regs installed and potted yesterday. I'm going to have to put the remaining 15 on today, then I'll take a picture and roll the pack up.

After giving up on Harbor Freight, I went down to Pep boys and bought a bigger load tester. My old one would put a 40 amp load on the batteries as measured by an E-meter; this one puts 100amps. Sure enough the dud batteries were duds, and two more batteries were dragged below 10 volts at 100amp draw. They showed up good on the old tester, but on the other hand with a 200 amp load all batteries (new and old) drop to about 11 volts and stay there. Can't ask for too much more.

However this leaves me with one "bad" battery after I used up all 6 of my new ones. Need to order two more and do another drop in the future. Drat. That will be a total of 8 bad batteries, for those who are counting.

I'm replacing the bad battery with one of the watered ones that I used as a bench battery. It can put out 10ah before dropping after sitting for a year, which isn't too bad. At least it is not reversed, and with the new regs, it might recover somewhat in the pack. Least it will not overcharge.

Since the weekend is going away, I will *NOT* be adding water to the batteries. I'll have to do something like that on the next pack drop when I have time. Oddly enough the bad batteries weigh the same amount as the good ones within an ounce. One thought I am having here is to deliberately dry a bad battery out with a week or two of massive overcharge, then weigh it...

But at least my Prizm has REGS! REGS REGS REGS! Wooohahah! I have regs now. My pack will be invincible!!! I will reg my way to happiness! I will play reggie music in the car while it's charging!!!

No more needing to go to 390 to charge the batteries! No more blown up cells!

And I will have to reprogram the chargers. I think I'll set the Magnecharger to charge at 8 amps to 340, taper down to 1.5, then charge at 1.5 to 362, then charge at 1 amp at 362 for an hour. That should keep the regs under current limit, and allow slow batteries to start catching up. On the Dolphin I'll just reprogram it to 25 batteries stock which will charge it at 2amps up to about 350, then taper down to trickle charge at 365 or so.

I'm a bit concerned about regen though; it cuts off at 365, but the current can be high. I don't want to blow up the bulbs on the first braking; any suggestions?

What kind of performance could one expect using 2 Etek type motors
each driving an axle directly with a belt at 4:1 ratio

Assuming a light weight 4 wheel frame (sand rail)   48 - 72 volts

 45 mph ??

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lee Hart wrote:
> >> something like McKee's Sundancer; a 1600 lbs 2-seat sports
car...
> >> Twin Etek motors, each driving a rear wheel separately via
snowmobile
> >> belt-type CVT, contactor controller. A dozen 6v golf cart
batteries
> >> for power... 36v golf cart charger. Everything here is simple,
cheap,
> >> and available.
>
> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> > Didn't I hear that they had stopped production on the Etek? I
could
> > only find one place that still advertised them and they want
almost
> > $900 ea. So that's $1800 for the pair.
>
> <http://www.evparts.com> lists the Etek MT1214 for $325 each.
>
> > I have no idea how much a CVT would cost that could handle both
motors,
> > I'm guessing a couple hundred though.
>
> The plan was to have *two* CVTs, one for each motor, independently
> driving each wheel. The Comet Torq-A-Verter CVT setup is about $150
> each. They are rated at 8HP continuous duty; two should work fine
for a
> 1600 lbs car.
>
> > A contactor will cost about $75-$100.
>
> No; you'd be using golf car size contactors that are more like $20
each.
> Each motor is only pulling perhaps 200a peak. A 3-step controller
with
> forward/reverse takes about 6 contactors.
>
> > An 8" ADC will set you back about $1300
>
> That's four Eteks.
>
> > an Alltrax 72V controller $650
>
> Enoug for four contactor controllers.
>
> > and a couple hundred for a two speed chain drive setup
>
> Your forgot the differential. The twin CVTs replace it as well.
>
> > My original query was why people seem so fascinated with jumping
> > through hoops to get a CVT and somehow make it work. Several
times
> > I've seen people talking about building a super efficient EV, and
> > then they go and spec a CVT. They seem to be working under the
> > missimpression that it will have HIGHER efficiency than more
mudane
> > solutions.
>
> In general, I agree with you. A CVT is not very efficient. Simply
> replacing the transmission in an EV with a CVT is a step backwards
in
> efficiency.
>
> But the CVT in *this* case is there to allow the tiny Etek motors
> provide adequate horsepower over a wide speed range without a
> transmission, differential, or expensive controller. It's a
special case
> solution for a scratch-built car; not for the typical EV
conversion.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
leeahart_at_earthlink.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Ok, 50 regs are in the car, potted, and tested. To test I used my old big charger to try charging each almost full battery. If the light came on, then reg is good.

Now I'll let the potting compound dry in the sun for a bit, then I'll raise the pack this evening. I'll still have to drop one more time to replace the two temp batteries, but I should have 20ah range.

Next step: Telemetry.

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> Didn't I hear that they had stopped production on the Etek? I could
>> only find one place that still advertised them and they want almost
>> $900 ea. So that's $1800 for the pair.
>
> <http://www.evparts.com> lists the Etek MT1214 for $325 each.

I couldn't find it on their site originally, they don't list them under
either "street" or "electrathon"  I didn't think they would only list them
under "Golf Carts"
Hmm that's a much weaker motor than I was thinking it was. Only 2.7
continuous HP.

>> I have no idea how much a CVT would cost that could handle both motors,
>> I'm guessing a couple hundred though.
>
> The plan was to have *two* CVTs, one for each motor, independently
> driving each wheel. The Comet Torq-A-Verter CVT setup is about $150
> each. They are rated at 8HP continuous duty; two should work fine for a
> 1600 lbs car.
>
>> A contactor will cost about $75-$100.
>
> No; you'd be using golf car size contactors that are more like $20 each.
> Each motor is only pulling perhaps 200a peak. A 3-step controller with
> forward/reverse takes about 6 contactors.

Can you specify a source for new $20 high currrent contactors?  The onlyu
ones I could find for that price were only rated for 100 amps, far two low
to safely use in this application.

>> An 8" ADC will set you back about $1300
>
> That's four Eteks.

Ah well, I was thinking the Eteks put out more power, closer to the output
for a Lynch motor.
To equal (actually exceed) the power of the two little Eteks you
mentioned, you'd only need a 6.7" ADC A00-409: $568  That's about $70
cheaper than two Eteks.

>> an Alltrax 72V controller $650
>
> Enoug for four contactor controllers.

Well I could save $125 and use a controller that only /matches/ the
capability of the two Eteks.

>> and a couple hundred for a two speed chain drive setup
>
> Your forgot the differential. The twin CVTs replace it as well.

No I did not, I was thinking of connecting one clutch to one wheel and the
other clutch to the other.  Granted you'd only end up with one wheel
drive, but that's basically what happens with a differential anyway.
Added advantage, with this setup power transfers to the wheel that is NOT
slipping.  I.e. if the wheel connected to the centrifugal clutch slips
then the vehicle slows down and the sprague clutch takes over.  If the
sprague clutch slips then the motor RPMs go up and the centrifugal clutch
engages.

  Hi Nikki and All;
From: "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Bob;
>
> The 400 amp charger exceeds the safe working current of the Anderson 350
> connectors. We put Anderson 700 connectors on the 400 amp charger.

> Ah what's a few amps among friendsHa Ha!

> If Rich knows when you will arrive, he could have an adapter made to fit
> your car. He would need to remember to keep the amps down and keep
checking
> the connector temperatures.

>  For sure! Tell Rich that not to worry I'm not gunna show up anytime soon,
I guess if I lest CT tomoreow I could get to Woodburn in time for the races?

   Working on the logistics, getting to Joliet for the Races there. That's
not EVen CLOSE to the Left Coast.

    Seeya

    Bob
> Joe Smalley
> Rural Kitsap County WA
> Fiesta 48 volts
> NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Rectifyer
> > power supply , about the size of a portable typewriter, you old farts,
> like
> > me, remenber those? He used a 240 volt 3 phaze power supply. His claim
> > fame, well justifyed, was he could chargitup in an hour. If ya babysat
the
> > power supply box so it didn't FRY the batteries! But you could do the 80
> > percent thing pretty quick.
> >
> >     The EFP Investor gig was for Bob to drive the EV out to the Detoilet
> > Airport and pick the guy up, 25-30 mile OW trip, take him to lunch on
the
> > way back, head back to EFP World Headquarters, on Eight Mile Road,do
show
> > an' tell, plugitin, shop tour, meet the gang, us. Plane time,;run the
guy
> > back to the Airport. Hey! This was very impressive back in the 60's when
> > golfcarts, not EVen NEV's were EV's to Joe Sixpack. Times they are a
> > changin' but EVen today, Bob's Show and Tell would be impressive. But
Tom
> > Gage could one up Bob  A.,with the T Zero, as I'm sure Tom has picked up
> > potential customers with the T Zero at the Airport of choice in SO Cal?
> > feel you guyz shaking your head, but back then, this was heady stuff,
and
> > part of EV history. Being wafted along the freeway at 60-65 in an EV was
> > something, back then.EVen though it was a 4200 lb Renault R -10, later
> > upgrades to a AMC Hornet Station wagon, called the Sportabout.THAT was
> about
> > our best conversion rig, sporting 144 volt pack of Tri Polar Cobault Led
> > Acids. Actually threy were in that taller sweeper battery size ones you
> see
> > at the battery place when ya pick up your T 105's. Now EVerybody ELSE
was
> > playing around with those awful Aircraft starter gennys at a wimpy 48
> volts,
> > doing 40 or maybe 50 with a tailwind? The Hornet could do 90MPH easily.
> But
> > then again you had Bob Mc Kee building stuff that would be up to date
> today,
> > but nobody noticed or cared?Sigh! If Bob and Bob had gotten together on
> the
> > , say, Sundancer, history may have played out differently and Electric
> Fuel
> > Propulsion would be a household name like Ford or Edison?? Bob had a
young
> > upstart fellow, Wally Rippel, working on an AC design for a controller
> motor
> > and charger in one setup. Wally went on to fame with Alan Coconi, and
> those
> > guys with AC propulsion, but it all started on 8 mile Rd in Detroit, WAY
> > back them. If Bob coulda pulled all the loose ends together?Gas @24
sence
> > gal, who Cares!Zooom, go like hell up Woodward Ave!Loads of tire smoke
up
> > there. You Detoilet guyz remember those daze!Wally? Got your Ears
on?!Out
> > there in EV Land. Say "Hi"
> >
> >     So I'll need to cable in a Anderson red power plug 'dem BIG ones,
like
> > ya see on forklift batteries disconnect, a couple of leads to my 120
volt
> > connections. mount the plug, say , under the front bumper, and show up
at
> > yur shop<g>!?

> > into
> > charge

> and
> > it
> > > >
> >   Hammer it back with selective battery charging!

> >     My two Farads wiorth
> >
> >     Bob

PotBox:

The standard potbox is a little weak, I think adding a spring to help
the throttle close is necessary, but I also wonder if it puts a side
load on the pot that it wasn't designed for. Especially if the arm hits
the stop. The reaction force may damage that first section of the pot.
Is the shaft on it's own bearings? or are we just using the pot's shaft?

I mounted down and routed wires away from potential noise sources and
the hammering and surgeing mostly went away. While I was out I did a
0-45 test for the curious. (0-60 requires finding a spot labeled 60 that
you can start at a stop at. :-( )

Acceleration:

I really need someone else with the stop watch but it looks like about
6.5 seconds and i need to shift at that point. Not great(by 300zx
sportcar standards), but ok. I checked against the DAQ collection and
there were exactly 6.4 seconds worth of data with some amps to it.

This little 0-45 resulted in 27.5 to 38.42C(81.5 to 101F) on the heat
sink most of this rise is after the acceleration.
it takes 1.3 seconds to ramp up to 1005A  (can this be adjusted or is it
a function of the motor?)

It then oscillates between 905A and 1005A about once pre second(I assume
this is normal current limit)
At the end of the test at about 45mph the motor voltage is almost at
limit and the current has  begun to drop, confirming that it is time to
shift.

What surprises me the most is how duty cycle climbs to keep up with
voltage rise in motor. At stall and low speeds it hits current limit
with a very small duty cycle.  This also shows me how much motor the
zilla can push at the start I have never seen over 51% duty(0x33) This
should mean 2 motors of this size in series is about it for the first
2.9 seconds then shift to parallel.

If this is a correct interpretation, then the zilla is a good way to
measure a motor :-)

I am really likeing this hairball code.

>> Stefan Peters wrote:
>> > Why would someone need a custom two speed?
>>
>> Because the two speeds for an EV would be quite wide apart, like 2:1 or
>> more. The two-speed overdrives and gearboxes for most ICEs usually have
>> fairly close ratios.
>>

> Considering a custom-made one might run several thousand dollars, it
> would probably be cheaper to use an AC drive connected to the
> differential, as well as more efficient and faster to get done.

Except that I was talking about a chain drive transmission and "custom" in
this case meant DIY.

Two sprockets, one with a sprague (one way) clutch and the other with a
Centrifugal clutch.  The sprague side is used at low speeds and as the
RPMs come up the centrifugal clutch engages a lower ratio (higher speed)
setup.
This has been done, successfully before.  While I don't know exact prices
for it, I doubt it would cost much more than a couple hundred dollars.

  Hi All;

   I'm gunna swipe the good Drs, note here, to ask, anybody ELSE in the
Least Coast land gunna do the NYC showing of Who Killed the Electric car? I
bought my ticket on line and will go down by train, electric,of course! to
NYC, HowEVer if anybody else buddied up to go I might drive down, from CT,
This is for the 930 showing on the second.Welcome to thw 13 bux MOVIE
ticket!But this isn't Kansis anymore.Seeya there. Dave Goldstein is making
the trek from DC.Anybody else?

   Seeya?

From: nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yet another rubbish piece of EV publicity...
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:56:53 +0100

Before anyone moans we're in the UK so the choice of American
programming we get is very small.  Unfortunately FOX news is one of
the only channels we get.

This morning (well, just now) they did a "passing article" on the
PNEV GEM 2 seater.  It lasted approximately 10 seconds and featured
the words "It does 25 mph top speed".

I do wish someone would do an article on an EV capable of highway
motoring... The GEM 2 seater is great as a car in the lower states in
urban areas. But that's about it.

Nikki

Wow. I opened up a can of worms eh? :)

I know the coverage on FOX is terrible. We have certain news channels here which are just as bad;)

The lack of decent EVs in the states is sad. Obviously the having the GEM is better than not, but yes, we do seem to have more production EVs in Europe (or at least work on concepts).

Our fuel prices have just topped £1 a litre in some gas stations. The really scary thing however is the move in the UK towards larger and larger cars. More and more cars are being sold which don't actually fit in the UK parking lot spaces! Of course, the bigger the car the higher the fuel consumption and the worst things get!

We do have some fantastic micro cars in the UK which are either very small in engine size or completely electric. Sadly though people who drive them are viewed as a bit eccentric still. I'm hoping that the smart EV conversion catches on. Smart cars have really caught the imagination of town dwellers and second-car households all over the UK. But as for the lack of EVs... I think the social concience is still plauged by images of the slow milk-carts we are so famous for ;)

Of course, with LPG in the UK it does seem that more people are getting used to the idea of alternative fuels. Certainly around Bristol, where I live, there are a few gas stations selling LPG. Of course, we're still burning rubbish into the atmosphere but more and more people are converting to it. Perhaps it'll be a short stop to Electric.

We can but hope, and educate.

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
Well,
1.  I was trying to spec out a really cheap solution
2.  I was not aware o the GearVendors over/underdrive
3.  1.28:1 isn't a very low ratio for "low" gear.
As for 1: no, it's not exactly cheap, just a thought I had for allowing a smaller motor (7.5" or 8") motor to use direct drive with off the shelf parts.

And for 2: if you have (let's say) 60MPH @ 3000RPM in high gear, then you get 45MPH @ 3000RPM in low gear. This also places you at 15MPH @ 1000RPM, and 30MPH & 2000RPM. Otherwise, if you mount the motor straight to the driveshaft, you'd be at 1500RPM @ 30MPH.

My thought was that 1.28 would be just enough to get in-town driving up into a better RPM range, while still allowing good efficiency on the freeway. Plus it can handle gobs of torque (1200 ft/lbs I believe) reliably. Install it and forget it.