  5) Re: EV Batteries
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Motor Temp
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) are there any incentives to install EV charging in a mall?
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) circuit breaker use in EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) 48v Piranha Burn Out
        by mreish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: circuit breaker use in EV
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: circuit breaker use in EV
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: are there any incentives to install EV charging in a mall?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Prius Taxi
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) No reason to go for them. (Was: Re: Question about NIMH patent(s))
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Newbies at 5thEVer 2006
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Prius Taxi
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Vectrix
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Prius Taxi
        by "Joe Wasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) AC vs. DC
        by "Rick Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: AC vs. DC
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) New Netgain TransWarp 11
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: No reason to go for them. (Was: Re: Question about NIMH patent(s))
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: New Netgain TransWarp 11
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Be careful what you wish for..
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: New Netgain TransWarp 11
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I was at Todd Kollin's Electricmotorsports in Oakland the other day and saw a very intersting brushless system. It was complete and all you needed to do was add batteries. Todd figured it was easier for the end user if he did the wiring and offered it completely setup & bench tested. Some of Todds creations are very peppy and this has the potential with regen to be very useable for scooters & small motorcycles. He has a 90 and a 200 watt unit. http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ He said he was changing the site to show the system but all I could find was NOW AVAILABLE WITH AC DRIVE. He wants 1000 & 1200 respectively for the two levels of power. Seems like a good deal. Haven't seen it in action yet but it's supposed to be the brushless ETEK. Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519
If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall that Ken Trough may have taken a ride
on an earlier, less refined prototype of the bike a while back.  If so,
maybe he could chime in or you could contact him to ask his opinion.

Charles

On Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:34 AM, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

Did anyone on the list get a ride?  If so what are your thoughts? Lawrence
Rhodes.....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:18:47 -0700

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 08:33:30AM -0700, David Murphy wrote:
> I agree that this price doesn't tell you much about the broader
> market. However, I'd like to share my own experience trying to get
> info on one of these when it was for sale.

Wow, this is eerily similar to the experience I had when trying to get a
RAV4 EV.

I was looking at one on the lot, and a sales man came over and told me the
gas version of the RAV was much better!

He then said that the RAV4 EV is not nearly as reliable as most Toyota
products, and because of this there is no extended warranty to be had.

I then jokingly asked if he does not make a commission on these cars, and he
told me that customers who are upset with the RAV4EV take it out on there
sales men.

I told him I was still interested, and asked if I could take a test drive.

I was never able to take a test drive, or even get started on the purchase
process.

Perhaps if I was more persistent, I would have gotten one? This was in early
2003, when the program was basically over.

Hi

Does anybody know the date on the NIMH patent(s)? I'm curious how
long they can tie up this technology... I don't remember how long
they have exclusive rights, but I think there is a time limit!

One of these days their patent rights are gonna expire and then it'll
be open season on auto size NIMH battery packs! I can't wait...can we
speed up the process?

thanks

Hi
I find myself in the enviable position of being able to bring this
concept(EV Charging) to the decision process of a mall in orange
county.  Can anyone give me some amunition on this concept? What
perks are there  for the mall? Costs? Benifits? In Downey?

>From Ben Fratto

Does one have working experience with the Heineman circuit breaker in an
electric vehicle:

Circuit Breaker, Heinemann #GJ1-B3-DU0250-01C, 160 VDC, 250 amps
continuous, 1000 amps peak.
This one seems slightly underpowered for heavy foot 22 seconds at 500 Amps.
Other than that limitation, do they work without nuisance, and work when
they need to work, in emergencies?

as opposed to the old fashioned anderson connector with lever in the cabin
with high voltage current flowing through next to passenger

the EVtruck still has time delay fuses, this would be additional, and
primarily for emergency disconnect

link to sales specs if you like
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1069&product_id=1451

Thank you, Ben

For your viewing pleasure:

http://snipurl.com/gilbert

--

The Electric Motorcycle Portal
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/

New Electric Motorcycle ListServ
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/listserv

> Circuit Breaker, Heinemann #GJ1-B3-DU0250-01C, 160 VDC, 250 amps
> continuous, 1000 amps peak. This one seems slightly underpowered
> for heavy foot 22 seconds at 500 Amps. Other than that limitation,
> do they work without nuisance, and work when they need to work,
> in emergencies?

If this is for a normal on-the-road EV, a 250 amp continuous rating
should be satisfactory. Remember that this is battery current, which is
always less than or equal to motor current. Your controller might have a
500 amp motor current limit, but battery current will be significantly
less.

I wouldn't be without one in a DC conversion, which
can fail in a full-on mode.
Mine is mounted under the handbrake, conveniently
enough, extending through the center tunnel.  If I
recall correctly, the 72V Ford Ranger I helped build
ran  the cable through the firewall to activate it,
and that was never an issue.
I am running 144V, and CivicWithACord pulls up to 400A
from a dead stop, though not usually for more than 4
sec.  I have never set it off from too much current,
nor has it gone off at 250A for extended freeway
driving.  Rather I have manually activated it whenever
working on batteries.
No issues with it, ever.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >From Ben Fratto
>
> Does one have working experience with the Heineman
> circuit breaker in an
> electric vehicle:
>
> Circuit Breaker, Heinemann #GJ1-B3-DU0250-01C, 160
> VDC, 250 amps
> continuous, 1000 amps peak.
> This one seems slightly underpowered for heavy foot
> 22 seconds at 500 Amps.
> Other than that limitation, do they work without
> nuisance, and work when
> they need to work, in emergencies?
>
> as opposed to the old fashioned anderson connector
> with lever in the cabin
> with high voltage current flowing through next to
> passenger
>
> the EVtruck still has time delay fuses, this would
> be additional, and
> primarily for emergency disconnect
>
> link to sales specs if you like

http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1069&product_id=1451

> Thank you, Ben

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Sure.  EVs have shorter range than gas burners.  In
families like mine where the mall is close to the
envelope of range, the charging station might be the
difference between going to it and unloading my wallet
in their shops, versus needing to wait until the other
family member got back, or not going to the mall at
all, but rather a more local shop for what I need.
Charging takes time, and ensures that a customer will
be in the mall for that duration; preferably during a
meal!
peace (& good luck selling the idea).
-An ex-OC resident,

On 16 May 2006 at 8:15, Mike Phillips wrote:

> I wonder if someone has the guts to make a RAV4 into a taxi?

As an EV advocate, I hate to say this - but if I were a cab firm or driver, I'd
be
hesitant to adopt a vehicle that (1) was irreplaceable and had an uncertain
support future; (2) had apparently high intrinsic value; and (3) might not be
able to handle some longer distance fares, especially late in the day.

Imagine you're a frazzled traveler, trying to get to the next town.  How would
you feel if you were standing in the pouring rain and flagged a taxi, only to
be
told when you got in that the cab didn't have enough energy left to take you
to your destination?

OTOH, a RAV might be just the ticket for a "green" company to use for
impressing visitors.  The Finnish EV conversion company Elcat used to
suggest that very application for their vehicles on their website.

On 16 May 2006 at 12:56, Tom Watson wrote:

> One of these days their patent rights are gonna expire and then it'll be
> open season on auto size NIMH battery packs!

Sure, but by then, lithium will have long since eaten their lunch in the large
capacity world.  Forget NiMH for EVs; it's already history.

I would guess that Chevron is satisfied with the money they make from small-
format NiMH - the millions (?) of NiMH AA cells that are sold yearly for
digital
cameras, mp3 players, etc., etc.  And of course they don't want to
encourage the use of their technology in EVs - that would be bad for their
principal business, and they'd make only nominal license fees.  Even Prius-
style hybrids reduce demand for their main product.

Uncertain.  Chevron-Texaco owns rights to Ovhinovski's
design, IIRC.  SAFT has a NiMH product out, too.
Hope that helps in your search, though I think LiPo
will run over them way before patents end...

--- Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know the date on the NIMH patent(s)?
> I'm curious how
> long they can tie up this technology... I don't
> remember how long
> they have exclusive rights, but I think there is a
> time limit!
>
> One of these days their patent rights are gonna
> expire and then it'll
> be open season on auto size NIMH battery packs! I
> can't wait...can we
> speed up the process?
>
> thanks

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Before that happens Lithium has already been adobted broadly in vehicles.

CHINA(!) government has strong and positive opinion on EVs. And when they have decided to do it.. it will happen.

Governmental programs showel money over $1 billion every year for Ev industry. Some cars and other vehicles are going to be legal even in world wide use.

What surprises me everytime I go there is how many thousand EVs I can see on the streets in daily use. It is an example we should follow.

Electric scooter (EVT-like) cost around $200 in Walmart near by Hong Kong. Some of them are pure crap but there are diamonds too. Price is low due gov support.

-Jukka
fevt.com

Tom Watson kirjoitti:
Hi

Does anybody know the date on the NIMH patent(s)? I'm curious how
long they can tie up this technology... I don't remember how long
they have exclusive rights, but I think there is a time limit!

One of these days their patent rights are gonna expire and then it'll
be open season on auto size NIMH battery packs! I can't wait...can we
speed up the process?

thanks

Wow! What a weekend!  As newbies, this was our first EV event and what a
blast.  Too bad about the High Voltage Nationals and Expo rain-out, but, the
fun
was no washout!

It was great to meet everyone.  Our first contact was Bob Rice.  We drove by
Warfield Electric early so we would know where to go for the tour.  We went
inside to ask about the afternoon tour.  About that time Bob came in to
transfer
batteries from his van to the Led Sled.  Then Jerry Warfield came out and
gave us a personal tour of the factory.  Then we chatted with Bob and admired
his
vehicle literature while he installed the batteries.

Prior to this weekend, I only knew some of the EV people from Internet posts
and websites.  So I was very eager to meet some of the people I have read
about.  I learned that John Wayland certainly holds to his classic form; after
the
announcement and enormous let down of the raceway rain-out, after the
confirmation that the race is dead -- no options -- period.  John broke the
cloud of
gloom weighing down on the crowed when he announced from the back of the room,
"We are going to burn some rubber tomorrow...".  I almost cried.

And so it was - May 13, 2006, rubber was burned.  The Pep Boys parking lot
gathering was so much fun and very informative.  I don't think I have ever
attended a parking lot car show where burnouts were conducted.  I guess the
quiet
EV's help with that!  Most of the car shows I attend involve standing around
gawking at parked cars.  This one had ACTION!  Even the gawking part was
exciting because the machines are not off-the-shelf hot rods.  They are all
built by
pioneers in a major turning point in human history.

Many thanks to everyone at this event.  It was a real blast!

Ken & Heidi

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Right. But.. In normal drive-cycle a taxi (at least in here) drives about 300 km in a day. Two shifts and over night charge. During day there can be a quick charge. one hour should be enough for full charge. This would of course require charging station.

For longer trip (over 100 km) you will have to pay ridiculous amounts of money. It is more resonable to take bus or train.

Btw.. no body "waves" for taxi anymore. I believe over 50 % is sammoned with cell phone. Rest are in city short trips from taxi stop.

Elcat has been succesfully used in many daily routine trips for commercial and private use since 1990 (or so). Simple little van with capability to take a good load.

Unfortunately it has also been hit hard due the limited range. Manufacturing has been seased and rest of the Elcat is struggling to find better future.

Lithium batteries are now available for those vans (With BMS). BUT ... Most of the made 250 vehicles are worn out and no new version is in sight. No one plunges 5 times more monay to new batteries what the car is worth.

There is just no good donors due OEM dis-interest.

-Jukka
fevt.com

David Roden (Akron OH USA) kirjoitti:
[...]

--- Begin Message --- Are there any superb details in RAV4 EV that differs it from diesel one ? Other than propulsion.

If such diesel car would be equipped and converted with AC drive and 50 kWh Lion pack. Would that do the trick ?

I've noticed that it is challenging to crack exsisting systems in OEM EVs. It is fun but takes too much precious time. No OEM has up to this date been willing to assist in Lion uprgading. Shame...

-JJ
fevt.com

p.s.- just for fun... check this application http://www.amoy.fi/actioneco/

... Now.. we end the era of ICE....

Mike Phillips kirjoitti:
I bet the BMS would be the tough part in adding Lithium to a Rav.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:28:47PM -0400, Charles Whalen wrote:
On Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:32 PM, Cowtown wrote:
What I'd like to know is where did they get large-capacity NiMH cells
- I thought no-one was currently licensed to make them...or has that
changed?
<..snip..>

... There is only one small exception to that,
specifically in the case of Panasonic, which came out of the patent
infringement lawsuit that Panasonic lost to Cobasys in an
international
court of arbitration in June 2004.  In that June 2004 judgment, and as
subsequently amended in July 2005, Panasonic is permitted to
manufacture new
EV-95 95Ah NiMH batteries solely for existing Toyota RAV-EVs that
experience
battery failures, under warranty, and only under warranty, until
the last of
those warranties expire, on September 14, 2008, at which time
Panasonic is
no longer permitted to produce *any* EV-95 batteries or any NiMH
battery
with a capacity greater than 10Ah until January 1, 2015.
Wow.

I hope we have a Liion upgrade for the RAV4EV ready for when these
packs start
getting tired and the warranties are out.

Speaking of which, How far would a RAV with Lithium go?
Has anybody tried a non-stock pack in there RAV yet? Did it work?

Well, that's a long answer to a short question, but it's a complex
subject.
Hope that helps to explain it.
Yea, thanks for the extremely detailed and informative post!

Another issue is that in a lot of places the cab itself has a license
or permit.  Generally someone gets a taxi badge and drives the vehicle
for one shift then hands off the vehicle to another driver for another
shift (charging that driver money).  This maximizes the revenue
generated off of a single, hard-to-obtain, permit.  That means that
frequently cabs are driven round-the-clock and a 4-5 hour charge means
money that isn't being made.

On 5/16/06, David Roden (Akron OH USA) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 16 May 2006 at 8:15, Mike Phillips wrote:

> I wonder if someone has the guts to make a RAV4 into a taxi?

As an EV advocate, I hate to say this - but if I were a cab firm or driver, I'd
be
hesitant to adopt a vehicle that (1) was irreplaceable and had an uncertain
support future; (2) had apparently high intrinsic value; and (3) might not be
able to handle some longer distance fares, especially late in the day.

Imagine you're a frazzled traveler, trying to get to the next town.  How would
you feel if you were standing in the pouring rain and flagged a taxi, only to be
told when you got in that the cab didn't have enough energy left to take you
to your destination?

OTOH, a RAV might be just the ticket for a "green" company to use for
impressing visitors.  The Finnish EV conversion company Elcat used to
suggest that very application for their vehicles on their website.

Ok people,
I am new to the whole EV thing and am looking to get started with a
conversion.  The one thing that perplexes me at the moment is the AC vs. DC
technology.  Right now at this moment in time which is the better
technology?
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick, this is a very common topic, that seems to come up about once a month
or so.  Please look at the FAQ at www.evparts.com/faq and also search the
archives.

I also have a review of the two on my web site: www.cameronsoftware.com/ev