  2) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Washout???????
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Washout???????
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Citroen diesel-electric hybrid
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Mount Washington Alternative Vehicle RegattaCorbin Gentry electric
bike at summit, Mt. Washington 1974
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Washout???????
        by "Doc Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Reverse Contactor
        by Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Three questions (was: Announcement of new NEDRA Voltage
  Divisions)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by "Jonathan Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) White Zombie and Father Time Machine racing tonight at PIR, SATURDAY!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Gadget's Triumph
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Range/Capacity Check
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Range/Capacity Check
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Brief mention of EVs on TV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: Reverse Contactor
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Reverse Contactor
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re:Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) unsubscribe
        by Don Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re:Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Range/Capacity Check
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o Comments
        by Mike Swift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) I'm posting from Power of DC
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Question concerning PHEV vs. EV
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hey! Anybody at the Power of DC area up yet and looking out the window? Is it
raining there, too. Weather's been SHITTY the last few daze!!RAIN RAIN and more
rain! The EV curse? I should be getting on the way by now 9AM, if it isn't
gunna be rained out. Just copied the mail on the List. So what's up, no mention
of the rain?

   So, somebody give me the good word. Not raining at Hagerstown?

    Wanna Seeya there

Don't forget Nilar (http://www.nilar.com/).  In the neighborhood of twice as
much range using their NiMH batteries, as lead-acid, and, if you stay within
30%-90% SOC range, you could get in the hundreds of thousands of mileage on
your electric before you need to replace them.

The 24V 10Ah Nilar NiMH battery costs about $200; it will deliver peak power
of 2200W, from a battery weighing only 4.3kg (9 pounds)  And it can be
charged in half an hour.

According to the open-source electric pages (
http://www.onechip.co.uk/simon/electric/battery.html), a 12V 55Ah Optima D34
costs $143.00, will deliver peak power of 8700W, from a battery weighing
19.5kg (41 pounds), and can be recharged in as little as an hour.

Now, let's say you wanted a 24V, 50Ah battery.  You'd need 5 Nilars or 2
Optimas.

5 Nilars: $1000, peak power 11kW, weight 45 pounds, charge in half an
hour... OR
2 Optimas: $286, peak power 17.4kW, weight 82 pounds, charge in an hour.

So, for the same range, they're 4 times more expensive, a third less power,
and only half the weight.

Let's say instead that you had capacity in your car for 1,000 pounds (!) of
batteries. (i.e., Tango class)  That'd get you 111 Nilars or 24 Optimas.

111 Nilars: $22,000, peak power 244kW, weight 999 pounds, 26.6kW-Hrs, charge
in half an hour... OR
24 Optimas: $3,432, peak power 208kW, weight 984 pounds, 15.8kW-Hrs, charge
in an hour.

Now here's the thing: the Nilars seem a lot more expensive here, but the #
cycles claimed means that they last way, way longer.

Other people mentioned NiMH's high self-discharge rate.  Well, high is
relative.  1% per day may seem a lot for some applications, but if you use
your car a lot, it's not much at all.  People who use an EV every day are
charging it every day.

I'd always wondered why none of the hybrid cars in the market use anything
other than NiMH.  Especially when most popular consumer electronics devices
use Li-Ion or Li-Poly.  I did find one very surprising thing about Li-Ion,
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-Ion:

A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent
upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it
was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. This
drawback is not widely publicized.

At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion
laptop<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop>battery that's full most of
the time at 25 degrees
Celsius <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius>, will irreversibly lose
approximately 20% capacity per year. This capacity loss begins from the time
it was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused. Different
storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C, 20% at
25 °C, and 35% at 40 °C. When stored at 40% charge level, these figures are
reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively.

I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between a 20% loss of
*capacity* per year, and a 1% loss of *charge* per day, I'll take the loss
of charge.  Even if I used the full 26kWHrs of a 1,000-pound NiMH battery,
that's only 260WHrs per day.  Even at California's 14c/kWHr electric rates,
that's a whopping 4 cents per day.  [Yes, I know about CA's nighttime EV
discount that brings it down to 5c/kWHr]
Of course, the elephant in the room, that no one talks about, is charging
systems.  Manufacturers like Toyota buy their batteries from suppliers, but
design their own chargers.  For lead-acid, chargers are easy.  For anything
else, it's a lot more complicated because it's so hard to figure out what
your state-of-charge is.

A smaller elephant-in-the-room is that almost no one will tell you what
their prices are, in small quantities.  Well, the lead-acid guys will (or
they have lists of resellers that will).  And maybe someone will tell you
what their price is for AA NiMH cells, or LiIon 18650s.  But the larger
sizes?  You have to beg and plead, unless perhaps you're the city of Denver
and you're building a fleet of EV buses.  Sheesh!

As far as the whole Chevron-Texaco rights & patents situation... can we all
please dispense with the conspiracy theories?  Big Oil knows very well that
the days of low-priced oil dominating the world transportation energy market
are over, and the days of high-priced oil dominating the market will never
arrive.  Medium-priced oil will drive a transition, and they need to have a
foothold in whatever comes next - electric batteries, fuel cells, 85E.  So
of course some of them are going to be buying battery patents.  If you think
that Chevron/Texaco are blocking adoption of NiMH batteries, then you're
blind to the fact that NiMH currently dominates the field.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble.  Hope this helps.  Anyone know what the
"list price" is on Cobasys batts?

jorg

On 5/16/06, Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Uncertain.  Chevron-Texaco owns rights to Ovhinovski's
design, IIRC.  SAFT has a NiMH product out, too.
Hope that helps in your search, though I think LiPo
will run over them way before patents end...

--- Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know the date on the NIMH patent(s)?
> I'm curious how
> long they can tie up this technology... I don't
> remember how long
> they have exclusive rights, but I think there is a
> time limit!
>
> One of these days their patent rights are gonna
> expire and then it'll
> be open season on auto size NIMH battery packs! I
> can't wait...can we
> speed up the process?
>
> thanks

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering
wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Saturday:
Showers ending early, then partly cloudy by the afternoon. High 73F. Winds NNW
at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Saturday night:
Cloudy intervals. Low 56F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday:
Partly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day. High
71F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Sunday night:
Chance of an isolated thunderstorm in the evening, then variable clouds
overnight with more showers at times. Low near 55F. Winds light and variable.
Chance of rain 40%.

Hey! Anybody at the Power of DC area up yet and looking out the window?
Is it raining there, too. Weather's been SHITTY the last few daze!!RAIN
RAIN and more rain! The EV curse? I should be getting on the way by now
9AM, if it isn't gunna be rained out. Just copied the mail on the List.
So what's up, no mention of the rain?

   So, somebody give me the good word. Not raining at Hagerstown?

    Wanna Seeya there

OK That's the Weather Report. Am about to take off for Hagerstown, weather
or not. Anybody ELSE going?

   Seeya

  Bob, Tim, ya going?
> Showers ending early, then partly cloudy by the afternoon. High 73F. Winds
NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
> Saturday night:
> Cloudy intervals. Low 56F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
>
> Sunday:
> Partly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day.
High 71F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
> Sunday night:
> Chance of an isolated thunderstorm in the evening, then variable clouds
overnight with more showers at times. Low near 55F. Winds light and
variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Thought it might be interesting to some, there are a couple of videos
on PSA's web page about their "hybrides".

http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/en/morning.php

It says that it's possible to drive in EV mode up to 50km/h, like the Prius.
The diesel engine has a particulate filter.
It does not mention a plug-in option..

On 3 Jun 2006 at 8:47, Bob Rice wrote:

> Had I still
> the Rabbit I woulda drug it to MT Wash. to try it. Bettya it could have made
> it, but coming DOWN would be scary! No Regen!

http://www.brusa.biz/applications/e_mini_evergreen.htm

Back in 1997, Axel Krause, one of Brusa's engineers, drove his Mini-
Evergreen (very cool EV) over the Alps on one charge, thanks in large part
to regenerative braking.

The car did this trip on 10.7 kWh/100km, or 173 Wh/mile - and that's at the
wall.  (Mark Hanson : sorry, if a Mini-Evergreen ever goes up for sale, I
claim first dibs. ;-)

BTW, last I heard, Axel was still running the Saft STM5-100MR nicads he used
for this trip, though they were getting somewhat tired.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

It's Sunny here in Virginia, so The Mountain Lightning Race
Team will be on its' way this Sat. evening with two challengers.

Doc Kennedy

On 6/3/06, Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK That's the Weather Report. Am about to take off for Hagerstown, weather
or not. Anybody ELSE going?

  Seeya

Bob, Tim, ya going?
> Showers ending early, then partly cloudy by the afternoon. High 73F.
Winds
NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
> Saturday night:
> Cloudy intervals. Low 56F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
>
> Sunday:
> Partly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms developing later in the
day.
High 71F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
> Sunday night:
> Chance of an isolated thunderstorm in the evening, then variable clouds
overnight with more showers at times. Low near 55F. Winds light and
variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Hello,

While crusing around the EV Album, I ran across Andreas Sagvåg's 1986 Peugeot 205 XL (144v DC). What intrigued me was the comment under "Drivetrain" wherein Andreas notes: "Standard 5-speed transmission without clutch. Locked at 5th gear. Reverse contactor installed."

I honestly haven't read or heard anything about a reverse contactor (if I did its long forgotten).

This seems to me to be a pretty nice way to avoid some/all shifting. Could someone direct me to some references with regards to a reverse contactor, its installation and proper uses, advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks in advance...

Wayne White

If those of us who "can", "do" then those of us who "can't" won't suffer as much from the high prices of excess.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- New voltage divisions are very a good idea. As higher voltage packs appear at the track, it is smart to have more divisions to keep them from all bunching together in a single category.

Three important subject areas were not addressed in your announcement, however.

1) What happens with the existing "A" voltage records? Will they be re-assigned? When (if) these existing records are moved, will "second place" records, previously set, move into their place? If folks have the proper documentation, will records set in the past be allowed in these new categories?

2) How will the voltage of other battery types be placed within these divisions? The voltages in these divisions were designed for "nominal" lead-acid voltages. The measured open-circuit voltage of fully-charged lead-acid batteries is actually 13/12 times these numbers. Would that be the voltage used for chemistries different than lead-acid, or would some other formula be used?

3) Doesn't the NEDRA charter require a 30 day member comment period before new rules go into effect? Since this new rule was just announced, shouldn't the members have 30 days to comment before it becomes official? To whom would members send their comments? Where would the member comments be listed? Where would the answers to the comments be listed?

        Bill Dube'

At 05:11 AM 6/3/2006, you wrote:
NEDRA is pleased to announce two new Voltage Divisions. Effectively immediately, we are adding two higher voltage divisions for a total of 12 in all. This means that there are more record setting opportunities for higher voltage vehicles beginning at the Power of DC event, this weekend at Hagerstown, Maryland. Please see the Power of DC site at http://www.powerofdc.com for all event details.

We are seeing a major trend at the track toward higher voltages, so we wanted to provide some additional divisions for these higher voltage competitors. As the previously highest voltage division was designated "A", these two new divisions will be designated "A2" and "A3" respectively.

All the NEDRA voltage divisions are currently based on multiples of nominal 12 volt batteries.

New NEDRA Voltage Divisions
----------------------------------
Division A3 - 349 Volts and above
Division A2 - 301 Volts - 348 Volts
Division A - 241 Volts - 300 Volts
Division B - 193 Volts - 240 Volts
Division C - 169 Volts - 192 Volts
Division D - 145 Volts - 168 Volts
Division E - 121 Volts - 144 Volts
Division F - 97 Volts - 120 Volts
Division G - 73 Volts - 96 Volts
Division H - 49 Volts - 72 Volts
Division I - 25 Volts - 48 Volts
Division J - 24 Volts and below

All NEDRA record setters and record breakers receive a pair of Oakley Sunglasses.

See you at the races!

-Ken Trough
NEDRA Public Relations

I would imagine that an in-wheel motor would wear out faster than on
attached to a belt or chain drive. Anyone have experience with comparing
motor bearing wear for direct drive versus belt / chain drive?

Finally, team Plasma Boy will hit the track with the most powerful version of White Zombie ever. In a note to friend John Bryan I had written:

Man, oh man....this weather thing is getting me down! It 'was' forecast that Friday was to be rainy all day and night, so we weren't thinking of racing. My new tires sponsor had a hard time getting the drag radials shipped here, but I had told them I 'really' needed them by Thursday, just in case holes of dry weather opened up on Friday......guess what? Friday dried up midday, and by the time the gates opened at PIR, it was sunny and 73 degrees! Yup, and the damn tires were in south Salem, Oregon (50+ miles from Portland) where one of the tire guys gleefully called me at 5 PM or so to tell me they'd have the tires in Portland......SATURDAY morning grrrrrr! Soooo, we just sat here and watched another racing opportunity go by right in front of us :-( The weather forecasting dudes all had to admit their forecast was bogus for Friday.

Next up...Saturday is 'supposed' to be dry and sunny all day, but rain is expected to hit the metro area between 6 pm and midnight....nice spread, huh? I'm going to go have the tires mounted, balanced, and put on the car in the morning just in case we go for it and try to race Saturday late afternoon and into the night. Gates open at 5 pm, so even if the rain hits at 9, we'll at least get it on the track for 2 or 3 runs.

Fast forward to the present, Saturday afternoon at 12:50....Tim and I just returned from getting the new improved versions of the sticky BF Goodrich 'G Force Drag Radials' mounted up on the Zombie's rims. We also fixed a bead leak on the left front tire and had all four tires spun-balanced. All of the car's past vibration problems have been fixed, and now with the tires all balanced up and brand new rubber in back, WZ is turbine-smooth at all speeds :-) We'll probably keep it conservative tonight and run with the battery pack limited at 800 amps just to see what we get. Tim and I are convinced the car is stronger at 800 amps and the 360V pack and new taller 4:11 ratio, than it was with a 348V pack, 1000 amps, and the 4:57 ratio. If we run low 12's with just 800 amps, that will be very exciting, and maybe, just maybe, it might even crack the 11's at this lower current setting.

Tim Humphrey wrote:

It's not that bad John;

Power of DC doesn't happen until Sunday this year. So you've got Saturday Nite.
Good Luck! See if you can give Matt a challenging target.

--
Stay Charged!

Here we go then, tonight's the night! PIR is a little vague about the exact time they'll open the gates for late night drag racing, it may be 5, it may be 6, it might be early because of the threat of rain. In any EVent, we'll be in line at the gate by 4:30 this afternoon. Father Time is on his way south from Burien, Washington, and his drag bike is already here in Portland as are his racing leathers.

It 'may' rain tonight, but hopefully, it will hold off until the bike and our car have got a few passes in. We're again inviting all our friends to show up and have some fun with the bearded one (wait, is that me, Tim, or FT?) and Tim and I for a little electrically derived tire smoke and speed! Otmar is joining us tonight, too (he's not racing his car, but at least he'll be on hand if we need some expert help with Zilla programming)!

See Ya.......John Wayland

Homestead used to build 550's. If I recall, he did a Ghia, followed w/ 3 of
these conversions.
http://www.answers.com/topic/porsche-550-spyder-replica-electric-conversion

http://www.electrictransport.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=41
From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:49:28 -0400

On 31 May 2006 at 15:00, MIKE & PAULA WILLMON wrote:

> But if I want to prove that just doing a
> conversion will pay for itself in a reasonable time like 5 years, I'm affraid I
> failed on this attempt.

Well, the way I see it is, there are things that are just intrinsically
worth doing.  IMO, there are even things that are intrinsically worth
having, if that makes any kind of sense.  I don't have to respond to some
grim-faced army of institutional investors, thank goodness, nor do I need to impress anyone with my financial acumen. Not everything I do has to pay for
itself.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

Was just now catching "The Henry Rollins Show" and he dedicated the end credits
to Honda Motor Company and Alexandra Paul, the former for being the first major
car company to introduce a hybrid, the latter for protesting the crushing of
EV1's as documented in "Who Killed the Electric Car?" Well, it may be basic
cable (actually, DirecTV), but it's nice to see WKtEC get mentioned on a larger
format than the EVDL.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Simply, it's two SPDT contactors wired together so that the current flow through the motor field can be reversed, thus reversing the direction.

Jonathan Smith wrote:
> I would imagine that an in-wheel motor would wear out faster than on
> attached to a belt or chain drive. Anyone have experience with comparing
> motor bearing wear for direct drive versus belt / chain drive?

When properly designed and maintained, wheel bearing last the life of a
car. It shouldn't make any difference to the bearings if there is a
motor in the wheel or not.

Wayne wrote:
> I honestly haven't read or heard anything about a
> reverse contactor (if I did its long forgotten).

All purpose-built EVs eliminate the transmission, and reverse the motor
electrically to get reverse. This can be done with as little as a
double-pole, double-throw switch, relay, or contactor. These are far
cheaper than a transmission with a reverse gear.

Most EV conversions already have a transmission (the one that came with
the vehicle). So, people just use it.

After a long week of racing great news,we took over the NHRA Summit Super Pro
points lead. The final round 2am. Again my .00 reaction times played a huge
factor, but the CE also did its job. Of the 5 round wins I redialed the car 4
times. The motor temp started at 113F and ended the night at 116F.
The batteries started at 121F and ended at 128F. The track temp. started at
151F and ended at 97F. It was a warm night to race in a double layer race suit
siting 4 inches off the track. I am sure I lost at least 5lbs. Of the 5 round
wins 4 cars were quicker than 8.5 seconds. 2 racers broke out by .003. Last
night was huge in that the points leader lost in the 1st round and I went all
the way. I now have at least a 4 round advantage in 1st place. 3rd 4th and 5th
places fell further behind as I took them out early. Again these are the
Division champs at my track for the last 3 years so I now have more points then
any
other NHRA div track. HUGE EV PRESS.

Dennis Berube

Don Cook

 707 539 5800

Ring'em or ping'em. Make  PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.

Dennis,
Congratulations!!!
With the cost of gas in the news everyday I would
think
the national news should be doing a story on this and
get even more EV press.
Keep up the good work!
Rod

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> After a long week of racing great news,we took over
> the NHRA Summit Super Pro
> points lead. The final round 2am. Again my .00
> reaction times played a huge
> factor, but the CE also did its job. Of the 5 round
> wins I redialed the car 4
> times. The motor temp started at 113F and ended the
> night at 116F.
> The batteries started at 121F and ended at 128F. The
> track temp. started at
> 151F and ended at 97F. It was a warm night to race
> in a double layer race suit
> siting 4 inches off the track. I am sure I lost at
> least 5lbs. Of the 5 round
> wins 4 cars were quicker than 8.5 seconds. 2 racers
> broke out by .003. Last
> night was huge in that the points leader lost in the
> 1st round and I went all
> the way. I now have at least a 4 round advantage in
> 1st place. 3rd 4th and 5th
> places fell further behind as I took them out early.
> Again these are the
> Division champs at my track for the last 3 years so
> I now have more points then any
> other NHRA div track. HUGE EV PRESS.
>

> Dennis Berube

Actually the way Lee suggests will work well, but the
original design will work too if the PNP transistors
(or P-channel FETs) get a series resistance between the
collector (drain) and the row connection.

Without the resistor, the row will light dimly but the
column will stay dark - due to the FETs creating a fixed
voltage drop (disregarding the LED internal resistance)
so the parallel LEDs in the same column cannot get any
current through their "background" resistor.
Not the entire array will light, though with the series
resistors the array may light a little, but more dimly
than the row and column selected.

I wonder if there is an interest in "kits" built of this
10x10 display for EVs.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com