  1) RE: buildup on battery terminal - why?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Suitable weights...
        by Nikki Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: City Range
        by "mike young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: PBS Tonight: "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) "Who Killed ..." To be Featured on .. "NOW" Fiday Nite PBS
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Suitable weights...
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Suitable weights...
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Air Bags: was Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by "Tim Clevenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Air Bags: was Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Electric Auto Association mentioned in July's Popular Mechani
 cs
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Suitable weights...
        by Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Suitable weights...
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: PHEV - speed?
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Temperature sensor for SAFT NiCds
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Scrounging for cheap EV parts
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: buildup on battery terminal - why?
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: PBS Tonight: "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
        by Don Buckshot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) re:Suitable weights...
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) re: Suitable weights...
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Air Bags: was Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Electric Motorcycle conversions on Ebay.
 24) How hard is it to make batteries
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: ADC Speed Sensor Mount with Warp9 Tailshaft
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) new batteries!
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Still more fun with powerwheels and hawkers (the batteries that won't die!)
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Fiero - Weights and airbags
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Suitable weights...
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Air Bags: was Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Compound & Sep Ex
        by "Jack Knopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Myles Twete wrote:

> Yeah, but the EV 'spurts on this list will tell you that's
> also foolish. They'll tell ya to put 2 nuts on that stud
> and then with 2 wrenches, compress your lug between 'em.
> And yeah, it's a good idea...but I haven't done it yet...

Those 'spurts would be wrong.

As Roland notes, the bolts are stainless steel and are not intended to
carry the current.  You must have the lug in direct contact with the
battery terminal or else it will heat up excessively.

I had a battery post start melting into the battery case after about an
hour with just 75A load being drawn, simply because the tech who
connected the pack up left a single steel washer between the lug and the
lead terminal.

If you are drawing largish currents from your batteries, don't use the
golf car/marine style studs for making your high-current connections.
Get batteries with SAE posts and use standard automotive style clamps,
or get the flat ("flag", I believe they're called) style terminals that
you can bolt your lug flat up against by putting a bolt through.  Use
Belleville spring washers on any bolted connection to help keep them
tight.

Thanks guys...

Anyone want to guess at how heavy a 1.1 litre A series engine? - it's the same as you get in a mini or sprite (but without the gearbox)

Nikki

On 9 Jun 2006, at 18:09, David Dymaxion wrote:

Great engine weights table:
<http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html>

LT1 Chevy V8, 650 lbs
2.7 L Porsche 911 motor, 450 lbs

Gasoline is about 6 lbs per gallon (~0.75 kg / liter)

Plus don't forget weight for removing the radiator, exhaust, and gas
tank.

--- Nikki Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So I'm finally sorting out the calculations needed for my car's
conversion, but it's just struck me: I know what the car's stock
weight is but I don't have a clue how much the ICE components
weigh!
What's worse is that while i've taken them out I don't have any way

to weigh them.

Since the weight of the car's electric components obviously will
affect the final forces needed (but the choice of the components
will
be made working out how much force is required to accelerate the
car...) what do I do?

So far, my calculations (I've only got as far as working out
required
acceleration forces) are using the car's stock weight. Of course,
until I have decided what the batteries, controller and motor will
be
I can't give a weight to the car from which I can then work out the

required forces. It all seems a little "chicken and the egg". Help!

Do people normally work on the values with their ICE stock car
weight
to give a rough idea, or do I need to add a few extra hundred
pounds?

Sorry I'm being thick. I've just realised that my Physics exam (way

back in 1998) seems a loooong time ago!

Still, I've finally figured out the required forces in both Newtons

and lb force for the stock car!

Regards

Nikki

P.S. I know there are calculators out there which do it all for
you,
but I'm the sort of gal who HATES to just be given a figure. I like

to know exactly HOW that figure is calculated!

--- Begin Message --- Ive been gettin 40 miles regularly with a little to spare with this 95 solectria force with 144 v lead acid..That is driving like a grandpa and a few ice drivers giving me the one finger solute to which I reply with an ev grin and a wave. Mike young ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu Subject: City Range (Was Conversion on eBay) Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

At 15MPH you can get a long way :) But seriously, how much range are people getting for city driving from their EVs? I always hear the highway range quoted. What are people getting in the city? -Mike On 6/8/06, Michaela Merz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > Claims to have a range of up to 150 Miles with 20 Trojans 125s. Now - I > don't know if that would even be possible in theory (other then rolling > down hill), but the buyer sure will be in for quite a suprise :( On the > other hand: He is asking 23,000 with 'Reserve Not Met' - I doubt he/she > will be able to sell the truck for that price anyway. > > Michaela > > > > > Is the seller on the list? > > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4647644891 > > > > A little rich for me, but I certainly like the paint scheme on that > > expansion > > box for battery space - a little galaxy sitting in the bed!

Thanks for the Link- FYI in Arizona PBS Channel 8 will broadcast this at 7:30
pm in the Phoenix area.

jmygann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/223/index.html

--- Begin Message --- Seattle ! SET your VCR's For I know all of you will be seeing the Film LIVE - Tonight... at the Egyption Theatere, 7pm.

Couch Potaties ?   Check your Local Listings for " Now"

NOW

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

Nikki Bloomfield wrote:

> So I'm finally sorting out the calculations needed for my car's
> conversion, but it's just struck me: I know what the car's stock
> weight is but I don't have a clue how much the ICE components weigh!
> What's worse is that while i've taken them out I don't have any way
> to weigh them.

What I did for mine was to use a standard bathroom scale with a lever
and fulcrum and weighed each corner of the car stock and then again
after removing the ICE-related components. (And again with the batteries
temporarily placed into their proposed locations.)

With the car on a level surface, jack up each corner of the car and
place blocks under each tire equal to the height of your scale with the
lever on it.  Then, substitute the scale and lever arrangement under
each wheel in turn and record the corner weights.  You can test the
actual multiplication factor of your lever/fulcrum by weighing yourself
standing on the lever vs standing on the scale normally.
                 TTTTT  <- tire
    +===================================+  <-lever
    ^                               ========= <-two pairs of metal
   ===                               o     o    dowels at right angles
   ===                            XXXXXXXXXXXXX <-scale

Use two pairs of metal dowels at right anlgle to each other between the
lever and the scale as a bearing to prevent binding of the scale
mechanism due to the car shifting sideways or fore/aft slightly as you
lower the tire onto the lever.

Most bathroom scales read to about 300lbs.  I used a lever/fulcrum
arrangement to reduce the weight on the scale to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the
tire weight so that the scale would read about its mid-range (for best
accuracy) with 400-500lbs on the tire.

My lever was a rectangle of bolted together 1"x1/8" steel angle; the
fulcrum was a bit of angle on laying with its corner facing up such that
the thin edge of one end of the lever rested on it, with blocks under
this to make the lever level.  The thin edge of the other end of the
lever rested on the topmost pair of dowels on the scale.  This
establishes the working length of the lever reliably.

I bolted a hinge to the lever at the appropriate point and attached a
little platform to it for the tire to rest on.  This establishes the
other important lever dimension (distance from fulcrum to where the load
is applied to the lever) as the distance between the fulcrum and the
hinge pin.

Multiply the weight displayed on the scale by the ratio of the two
distances and you'll have the weight on that corner of the car, good to
+/- a few pounds.

Many people weigh each thing they remove from the car individually, but
at the end of the day I don't think you really care how heavy the
radiator or exhaust pipe was, you just care about how heavy the parts
that you didn't remove are.  Weighing each corner like this also allows
you to experiment with battery location to see if putting batteries here
or there will result in some undesirable change in the front/rear or
left/right distribution.

> So far I have 7.25 lbs of just dirt and rust that has fallen off the car
> in
> the process of dismantling it.
> Later,
> Wire

<g> I like that.

If you car weighs less than 2500 lbs, you might get by weighing it.
Personally, I used 2 bathroom scales, w/ a 2x4 across them. Lower each
wheel onto the double scale for a reasonably accurate measurement. (You
can pick them up at garage sales and/or Goodwill.)

Hi Mike,

Usually the sensors are calibrated based on tested crash statistics for the
car, so I don't think I'd just grab some components and run with them.
However, if a later model of the Fiero had airbags, you could probably
safely retrofit them into an earlier model (with substantially the same
frame, body and weight, that is.)

Tim

----
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:51:46 -0500
From: "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Air Bags: was Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights

This brings up a question. One of the issues I've been thinking about
with my fiero conversion is saftey systems. I am planning to put in
racing harnesses, but the Fiero never got air bags. Has anyone
retrofitted newer stearing wheels with airbags, along with the
required sensors, into an older car?

-Mike

Tim Clevenger wrote:

> Usually the sensors are calibrated based on tested crash
> statistics for the car, so I don't think I'd just grab
> some components and run with them.
> However, if a later model of the Fiero had airbags, you
> could probably safely retrofit them into an earlier model
> (with substantially the same frame, body and weight, that
> is.)

I would advise against installing airbags on a vehicle that didn't have
them originally, and would even suggest that it may be safer to disable
the airbags on a conversion than to leave them active.

The sensors are calibrated to deploy the airbags based on the
relationship between the magnitude of deceleration at the sensor
location and the deceleration that would translate to at the passenger
compartment of the vehicle.  Whether or not you believe airbags enhance
safety or not, it is unarguable that they can only perform as designed
if the proper sensors are installed at the proper locations and if the
vehicle body deforms as it was designed to.  When we convert our
vehicles, we alter the weight distribution and stiffness/crumple zone
behaviour such that it is unlikely that even the original airbag system
will deploy in the way it was designed to.

--- Begin Message --- I've seen quite a number of articles mentioning the 150mpg (I think up to 250 mpg) plug-in Prius.

I dislike the misstatement of mpg. It's not mpg, it's just a few non-gasoline miles which are infinity mpg. It's of course inaccurate in that you cannot travel 1500 miles on 10 gal.

Prob is people who didn't read or didn't remember the whole story are starting to get all weird thinking there's a magical carb, engine, or something that the oil companies are keeping down. Basically magical thinking again. I've heard a number of people with this misconception now.

I can see they wanted to use the mpg figure to better explain it to lay people, but I think they ended up giving lay people more misconceptions. Moreover, they remove the understanding that the free miles are all because it's an electric vehicle. The utility of the EV needs to be promoted and misconceptions that it's slow, weak, and generally of useless range need to be addressed, not avoided entirely by restating it as a false mpg figure.

Danny

Cor van de Water wrote:

Rich,

We know how hard you work and appreciate it.

But hold your horses on this one.
First, they did not say they already had a kit.
Second they claim 150 MPG which has no relation to 150 mi range.
You can get 150MPG in the first mile with the existing
battery in the Prius in EV mode.
All they do is add more battery to make it go a few miles
longer in EV mode and EVen boost it when the gas engine
comes on. This also requires some additional electronics.
The range is not so critical as with a full EV because
when you run out of juice, the car is still moving, so
you can ompimize it for your average distance per day,
which is around 30 miles for most of us.

Regards,

Cor van de Water

If there's a place near you that sells gravel or buys scrap iron they
weigh you on the way in and on the way out.  I'm sure if you asked
nicely ($) they'd weigh your vehicle or a truck filled with all your
discarded bits.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- There is some good info on calculating weights and balance and such on a conversion at:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/tech/balance.html

It includes tables that breakdown components as a percentage of the curb weight. While not perfect it beats the heck out of guessing.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
--- Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am reading a lot about PHEVs, but everything I have read says the top speed
> in all electric mode is 34 MPH.

This is particularly for the Prius' EV Mode, NOT electric only mode. The Prius
is capable of electric only mode at higher speeds up to about 42mph where it
needs to start the ICE spinning as, because of the planetary gearing, the
second motor generator would be spinning over 10,000 RPM. However, it can still
stay in electric only, (NO spark or fuel) even higher (the term warp-stealth
has been coined to describe it), as long as the current draw does not exceed a
level determined by the state of charge of the battery. Granted this does not
take too long as the battery capacity is severely limited (at least in EV
terms).

>   Is anyone working on a way to increase the max speed in all electric mode?

What some are trying to do is to allow another battery pack paralleled in with
the Prius Hybrid pack (Or some by replacing it altogether) that has a greater
capacity, therefore allowing the higher current to be drawn for longer periods
of time.

EV Mode basically does the following:

** Stops the initial warm up of the ICE.
** Allows for greater current draw on the battery (Although also limited)
** Allows for greater depth of discharge of the battery (Although also limited)

If either of the latter 2 are exceeded however, it kicks out of EV Mode and
reverts to normal operation.

In normal operation, once the ICE and catalytic converter are warmed up (Which
really only takes about a minute in a Prius that has been run in that last day
or so), then the system decides to run in electric only mode if the conditions
are right; low enough current draw, sufficient state of charge, etc.

What would be nice is if the EV Mode's increased parameters were available even
though the car is running in normal mode and warmed up. That way the extra
power a larger battery pack can give would give you even more 'electric only'
driving even over the 34 mph limit.

The Prius was designed to be a hybrid and it's battery management and planetary
CVT are integral to making it work as such. Both of these factors make it
difficult to use as a higher speed EV.

HTH,
Chet

Does anyone have a spare temp sensor for the
SAFT STM NiCds?

Apparently the Saft P/N is 280071.
Thanks,
Nick

Dr Nick Carter,

I have been told that the sensor uses just a LM335.
hth,
--
-Otmar-
914 EV, California Poppy,

http://www.CafeElectric.com/
The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
Now accepting resumes. Please see:
http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

Scan the Trading Post.  You may see a late model Dodge
Omni or Ford Escort, Datsun Whatever where the
converter put in a nice overpowered controller, but
has too few batteries.  If he also has a DCDC
converter, heater, main contactor, circuit breaker,
et. al, you're better off taking his unwanted body
style and yanking the parts to put in your preferred
model. With all respect due them, if it's cheaper than
4K, figure another 2K for upgrading the suspension of
the rig you want, plus the adapter plate, and you
still come out ahead of the 8K it costs to purchase
separately.
peace,

--- Patrick Maston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Check with [EMAIL PROTECTED]  He used to make
> electric vehicles for Hollywood and has lots of used
> parts.
>
>   Patrick
>

>   >From: "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> >Subject: Scrounging for cheap EV parts
> >Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:46:20 -0500
>
> >What sites have those here used to find used
> electric
> >motors, controllers, and the like?

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Myles Twete wrote:
Yeah, but the EV 'spurts on this list will tell you that's also foolish.
They'll tell ya to put 2 nuts on that stud and then with 2 wrenches,
compress your lug between 'em.  And yeah, it's a good idea...but I haven't
done it yet...

Actually... I think most of the experts will tell you not to use a stud for a connection. Stick to lugs or automotive clamps.

Mark

-Myles

!DSPAM:44897db6109541440117360!

Thanks, really helps.
They even offer to send reminder Emails ...
Don

jmygann wrote:

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/223/index.html

Death to all spammers(by the way, what is your name?) said
"
Ya got that right! E.g.-Lee discusses a basic LED circuit as a step up
from a 2-needle meter and the inginiirs have a field day discussing
advanced components for it! I'd never say don't read their posts, just
let your eyes go a little out of focus and the technospeak goes faster!"

I take exception to this comment becasue I am not an EE and Althought the LED
is an alternative, it it difficult to claim it is a step up from a 2 needle
movement. Lee has got the smarts, the experiance and most importantly the
attitude to freely help us out. (ps, he is the engineer :-) ) What I was
suggesting was the minimum electronics needed to be at least as good as the
dual needle and what I thought was the only way to achieve it, abstract the
display for the data collection and use it to display more than one thing or
more than one way.

I also found this thread very informative!

We have a big scale at work so I weight everything I took out.

Just a single data point, the 1987 300zx curb weight 3000lbs
 tranny is 100 lbs even and I kept it
 motor was 397lbs including flywheel and clutch, warp 9 was 165+12lbs
for my clutch =   220lbs lighter
 20 gallons of gas would be ~160lbs
                                                =   160 lbs ligther
 maybe another 100lbs for exhaust,fuel lines, radiator.
                                      = 100 lbs lighter

about 480 lbs lighter added 1000# of lead and another 100 in cables an
racks +17lb for charger and 13lb controller
=3650

Well I took it and had it weighed and it weighed 4050 including driver
cleaning out the tools and myself yielded 3700 lbs.(ok, time to go on a
diet :-(  )

"P.S. I know there are calculators out there which do it all for you,
but I'm the sort of gal who HATES to just be given a figure. I like  to
know exactly HOW that figure is calculated! "

AMEN!

You could always do something like this to measure the heavier stuff

ebay item number 4646919442

ie
                                          ___________
_______engine_____________________________|    /\
F                                             scale

|----1----|----------------4--------------------|

Calibrate this by stnding on the scale, then setting up the offset and
standing at the engione point and multiply * 4

:-) This can be done with a 4x4 fulcrum, 4x4 "beam" and a 2x4 scale
disperser.

mike said "... Has anyone retrofitted newer stearing wheels with
airbags, along with the
required sensors, into an older car?

The air bag is designed in conjuction with the seat belt system. The bag
is suppose to be completetly inflated just before the belts have
stretched to the specified limit (about 4") Kind of a handing off of the
work of saving your life. AS everyone knows(except hollywood) the bags
have huge slits and deflate very very fast. The squibs fire relative to
a certain shock load and is related to the vehicle weight.  See what
cars have interchangeable columns and maybe it can be done.

But how do you test it?

Mike Phillips wrote:

> It apprears that the main board layers themselves are suffering damage
> as well. I wanted to put some isolation between the main board's
> output to the fets, and the fets. There are some 20ga-ish wires
> leading from the main board to the fets. Snipping them and inserting a
> board with some components is my goal.

At the last place I worked, we put the drivers on a little PC board that
mounted directly on the IGBTs. If the IGBT failed, this driver board was
also replaced. It had a little high frequency transformer, rectifier,
gate driver IC, and two optocouplers, very much as you described.

For a little circuit that you can put in between the existing driver and
logic, I'd try an SCR, zener diode, and fuses. SCR anode to IGBT gate,
SCR cathode to IGBT emitter, 18v zener between IGBT gate and SCR gate,
and a 1k resistor from SCR gate to SCR cathode. Two fast fuses connect
this circuit to the existing wires from you control board to IGBT gate
and emitter.

If anything causes the IGBT gate to go more positive than 20v, the SCR
triggers "on", shorts the gate (turning the IGBT off), and blows the
fuses to cut that IGBT out of the driver circuit.

Both of these vehicles are in the EV photo album.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Electric-Electric-Yamaha-Vision-C
ustom-Conversion-96-volt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6719QQihZ002QQitemZ46484
55736QQrdZ1 Yamaha

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/141 Ev album entry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Honda-Electric-Electric-Honda-Mot
orcycle-Custom-Conversion-48-volt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6719QQihZ002QQi
temZ4648450531QQrdZ1 Honda

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/414 Honda EV photo album entry.
It seems that sometimes very nice conversions make it to ebay and these two
are indeed very nice especially the Yamaha.  LR.....

Someone asked this question not to long ago.
I looked into the makeing of lithium ion, like the thundersky batteries.

basically
 2 chemicals are purchased as powder.
each chemical is mixed with a binder, new binders are water based
solving lots of issues.
anode material spread on one plate, cathod material spread on other.
the plates are run thru rollers and dried.
     high amp lower energy density use etched plates, lower amp higher
energy density use fine mesh screen.
dried plates are assembled in an inert gas atmosphere with the seperator
into the case with the plates connected to the posts. This is a
sandblaster like cabinet pressure filled with argon.
The battery is sealed except for the fill tube and a vacuum is drawn
while the battery sits on a scale.
The vacuum pump is shut off and the seal is verified then a valve is
openened allowing it to draw in electorlyte until full.
    Oxygen with the electrolyte is dangerous and or will cause a quick
contamination of the anode surfaces and the litium salts.

Then the battery must recieve a commisioning charge. This is a special
charge and I don't know this info yet.
My interest switched to lipoly at this point.
Nicad can be made the same way, i hear, but no oxgen free environment
requirement.

Sorry, that should say 1/2" Steel Tubing, which is 3/8" inside diameter.
Fits with a small amount of play over the 5/16" bolts.   :-O