  4) Re: Zilla and Rudman Charger Green
        by "Steve Arlint" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: voltage limit 144
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Battery V matching
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Busy day
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Continuity between M- & potbox connection & Curtis type controllers.
 10) RE: ETEK (PM brushes) cooling
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV talk with Christopher Zach at Goathill Pizza in San Francisco.
 12) Re: EV talk with Christopher Zach at Goathill Pizza in San Francisco.
 13) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
 14) Karmann Eclectric in living color!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Auto Engine Block Heater Systems
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) FLA Charging Scheme
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV talk with Christopher Zach at Goathill Pizza in San Francisco.
 18) Re: Battery V matching
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: FLA Charging Scheme
        by Tim Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: FLA Charging Scheme
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: FLA Charging Scheme
        by Tim Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) sick curtis in jet industries FOrd courier
        by Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: sick curtis in jet industries Ford Courier
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: sick curtis in jet industries FOrd courier
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
        by Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Smart chargers and shunt regs
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: Auto Engine Block Heater Systems
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: E-Volks Wilderness EV at Utah Car Show
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Karmann Eclectric in living color!
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The officail color of Manzanita Micro chargers is
RAL 6016 Green. This is the exact Powder Coating color Spec.
Mine is the Greenest chip in the color charts at Parks Able Metals in Aloha
Ore.

Ot's green is a custom Lizzard skin color.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

Custom Shmustom. What are you trying to say here Rich?

Although the first Zilla's were made from Lizard pigments extracted from skin samples found on undersea corrals near Japan, that was a bit costly to produce so we found a close standard color. :)

Zilla Green is RAL 6026
PN 49/52660 Available from http://www.tigerdrylac.com/
Found under "Ral Colors for Exterior or Interior"

hth,
--
-Otmar-
914 EV, California Poppy,

http://www.CafeElectric.com/
The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
Now accepting resumes. Please see:
http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

Oh!!

Not a lot of difference.. but  STill makes us unique.

I thought you still had a "Eyes Only " color flavor...

Madman

> >The officail color of Manzanita Micro chargers is
> >RAL 6016 Green. This is the exact Powder Coating color Spec.
> >Mine is the Greenest chip in the color charts at Parks Able Metals in
Aloha
> >Ore.
> >
> >Ot's green is a custom Lizzard skin color.
> >
> >Rich Rudman
> >Manzanita Micro
>
> Custom Shmustom. What are you trying to say here Rich?
>
> Although the first Zilla's were made from Lizard pigments extracted
> from skin samples found on undersea corrals near Japan, that was a
> bit costly to produce so we found a close standard color. :)
>
> Zilla Green is RAL 6026
> PN 49/52660 Available from http://www.tigerdrylac.com/
> Found under "Ral Colors for Exterior or Interior"
>
> hth,
> --
> -Otmar-
> 914 EV, California Poppy,
> http://evcl.com/914/
>
> http://www.CafeElectric.com/
> The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
> Now accepting resumes. Please see:
> http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

All (Lee especially, or course):

When looking at the data sheet on:

http://soneil.com/Completesets/2403SR(REV12).14-Jul-03.pdf

I am wondering what the interaction would be if the batteries are also sporting shunt-type balancers.

The charger will build up voltage at a steady current to 14.4V / battery. Now, at 14.4V, the 13.6 volt zeners will be diverting .8V through the PR2 lamp. Does this mean about .42A?

According to the datasheet, the Soneil monitors current as well as voltage. At a steady 14.4V / battery, when the current drops to .15A, it drops the target voltage to 13.8V / battery, and maintains this as the target float voltage

It appears that with the shunts added to the batteries, the Soneils won’t drop back to the float voltage, but will continue providing 14.4 to each battery, while the batteries will continue to see 13.6 (under zener regulation).

Am I thinking straight?

MarkF

Greetings,
Manzanita Micro = RAL 6016 Green
Zilla's = RAL 6026 Green

If you guys decide to coordinate colors, RAL 6021 might be the best place to
start.  That's how it would work mathwise.  Oddly enough, looking at the chart
that I have, RAL 6021 is a pale green unlike either 6016 or 6026.  On the other
hand, a stong coat of 6021 might be a good breath of fresh air; that is the
change in color, not the wet paint.

VR,
Steven Arlint

> The officail color of Manzanita Micro chargers is
> RAL 6016 Green. This is the exact Powder Coating color Spec.
> Mine is the Greenest chip in the color charts at Parks Able Metals in Aloha
> Ore.
>
> Ot's green is a custom Lizzard skin color.
>
> Rich Rudman
> Manzanita Micro

>Custom Shmustom. What are you trying to say here Rich?

>Although the first Zilla's were made from Lizard pigments extracted
>from skin samples found on undersea corrals near Japan, that was a
>bit costly to produce so we found a close standard color. :)

>Zilla Green is RAL 6026
>PN 49/52660 Available from http://www.tigerdrylac.com/
>Found under "Ral Colors for Exterior or Interior"

>hth,
>-- -Otmar-
>914 EV, California Poppy,
>http://evcl.com/914/

>http://www.CafeElectric.com/
>The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
>Now accepting resumes. Please see:
>http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

Powered by Outblaze

I'm converting an S-10 and my battery pack is going to be 180v. My controller
is a Zilla Z1K-HV (it can control up to 300 V) and I am using the same motor as
you, the FB1-4001. I can use 180 v because I can program the Zilla to let out
less voltage so that I don't harm the 9" motor.

So if you want more power, you might think of getting a Zilla..

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    From: "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 8:30 AM
    Francisco.

On Jun 12, 2006, at 10:33 AM, Rush wrote:

Is there a v tolerance that batteries, specifically Trojan 6v's, should have from battery to battery? How closely should the batteries in a string match?

Is this a string you have or are you looking to buy a string.

If you have the pack then whatever you got will have to do. Its more difficult to swap new batteries into an old string than to work within the old pack's limitations (within reason - a dead battery is still a dead battery.) I've been able to live with batteries that disagree on what fully charged and rested is by 0.1 volt and disagree about twice that at the end of a drive. It works so long as the weakest battery has the needed capacity.

If its a new string you want them as close as possible and as fresh as possible. I'd be concerned about both voltage and the specific gravity of each cell. They as supposed to be related but... (low SOC in a cell of a charged battery is a bad sign no matter what the voltage)

Paul "neon" G.

I don't know it this will help with the discussion, but here is the voltage of
the battery pack for a typical charge from my car with the same charger...

http://home.earthlink.net/~evtkw/Evcortcharge.pdf

--- Tim Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know it this will help with the discussion, but here is the voltage
> of the battery pack for a typical charge from my car with the same charger...
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~evtkw/Evcortcharge.pdf

Thanks, Tim. You wouldn't happen to have a current chart to overlap on that
would you? :-)

Chet

Sorry - Unforntanely I can only measure voltage...

Empirically, it seems to be constant current to the first inflection point at 3
hrs, then some sort of ramped function, then float at 5.5 hrs.

I think the adjustment on the charger moves shifts the point where it moves
from the ramped function to float.

>> I don't know it this will help with the discussion, but here is the voltage
>> of the battery pack for a typical charge from my car with the same charger...
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~evtkw/Evcortcharge.pdf
>
>Thanks, Tim. You wouldn't happen to have a current chart to overlap on that
>would you? :-)
>
>Chet

>http://mail.yahoo.com

Hello experts,

I need help with a diagnosis.  My Jet Industries 1980 Ford courier
that was able to pump 400 amps (per the emeter) is
now only able to put out 182 amps (approximately).  Uphill, downhill
1st-4th gear, it makes no difference.  An engineer friend
suggested that the electrolytic caps are dying (have died).

Second symptom, in 2nd gear (15-30mph range), at about
2/3's in (say 27mph); there is a small "hiccup", as if the
controller turned OFF for a moment.

Any ideas?  any schematics?

thanks
jolly roger

Roger wrote:

Hello experts,

...able to pump 400 amps is now only able to put out 182 amps. An engineer friend suggested that the electrolytic caps are dying (have died). 2nd gear (15-30mph range), at about 2/3's in (say 27mph); there is a small "hiccup", as if the controller turned OFF for a moment.

Any ideas?  any schematics?

Yeah. Have you checked the brushes and com. on your motor? This sounds like a classic case of brushes barely making contact due to wear....just an idea.

See Ya.....John Wayland

I also saw "turnkey"... but I think the price is just for the kit. $1500 for
a contact controller, $2000 for a basic controller at 48V, or at $2500, an
Alltrax for 72V.

If I'm understanding it correctly, "turnkey" means all you need to convert
the VW or Metro yourself, less the rolling chassis, cables, batteries,
battery boxes, misc gear, and labor. I also don't see that a charger is
included. What you do get (http://www.e-volks.com/about.html3.html) is a
(surplus/new) motor, clamps, and controller.

> >They do tend to offer lower voltage and lower speed cars, which is
> >easier on components. They did have one of their cars at the show,
> >and I did see it run -- you can see a short video I posted at
> ><http://9electric.evforge.net/evolks>. Their designs seem to be
> >optimized for low cost.
>
> I still have to question offering an entire turnkey car for $2,000 -
> chassis, electric drive, and conversion labor.  If it sounds too good
> to be true, it usually is.
>
> Shari Prange
> Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
> http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

It could be the controller, but I'd start by looking at the motor...
especially the brushes. (Based on the "hiccup.")

Along the same lines (resistance) have you also checked all your
connections? A corroded connection on any part could be reducing your
E-throughput, I'd think, making your controller think it's running at a
lower voltage (hiccup) and reducing W's to the system? (On my friend's toy,
we found a bad crimp on one connector... another time a bad/corroded
connector on one of mine.)

I'd check this before suspecting a very expensive component as being in need
of replacement. (Then again, I'm cheap.)

...just my thoughts...