  1) RE: EV Conversion Business, comments
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Daytime lights requirement?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: S10 conversion
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: S10 or Sonoma conversion
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: S10 conversion
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: is copper all the same?
        by Janez Svetlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Cushman, Cushwoman & Sepex Recepe
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
  9) Daytime Running Lights
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Isolated vs. Non-isolated Battery Chargers
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV Conversion Business
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Isolated vs. Non-isolated Battery Chargers
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Isolated vs. Non-isolated Battery Chargers
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) EV Calculator
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: is copper all the same? Piggyback question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Isolated vs. Non-isolated Battery Chargers
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: is copper all the same? Piggyback question
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: S10 conversion
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Basic Manual Charger Schematic
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Jack Murray wrote:
> But it must be practical, both financially and operationally, or it
> can't sustain itself as more than an expensive hobby.
> I can buy a LOT of gasoline for a $10K+ conversion price, particularly
> if an alternative is a small car that gets 35mpg.  And will the big
> automakers soon overrun any small-time conversion business?

If I pay $10K for an (used) ICE vehicle. Do I get that money back over time?
Nope, and I have to pay another $10 over 5 years for gasoline, fluids and
filter changes.

If I pay $10K for an electric conversion do I get that money back over time?
Nope, but I'll only pay $1K over 5 years for the electricity, and **maybe**
$2K for another battery pack.

I think the "financially" part proves itself.  Then we're back to the
"operationally". But hey, if poor folks like me can do it without industry
support (as an expensiive hobby), just think what it'd be like if a variaty
of parts were professionally engineered and produced by the thousands.  That
helps both problems.  Then you could build and sell conversions with little
risk.  As it stands right now there's probably a substantial risk.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

I'm an electrical engineer and crunched the numbers here awhile ago.
1. White LEDs are actually a bit LESS efficient than a large-scale (headlight) halogen run at its proper voltage. Every once-in-awhile we see a substantial improvement though, but we do not expect them to be remarkably more efficient than a halogen. Now for smaller scale, halogen efficiency takes a real dive. LED flashlights are much more efficient than any small incandescent bulb. And for applications where you need colored light, a halogen has to use a filter that throws away most of the generated light because it's the wrong wavelength. An LED of the appropriate color becomes much more efficient. 2. A headlight has to put out a LOT of lumens. It would take a phenomenal number of even the most powerful LED pkgs ever made to equal a headlight. 3. LED efficiency takes a substantial hit when they are not kept very cool. There is a substantial hit in even allowing the package's thermal mouting surface to get to 120 deg F. And the LED can easily be damaged by high temperatures, this limit comes into play often. Often a device's rating is based on how much power it can handle with an ideal heatsink without reaching the die's maximum temperature, all non-ideal heatsinks require the device be used at a reduced power. Making a heatsink that stays that cool while a large amount of power is being dissipated is very "challenging" and expensive. 4. A lot of LEDs become hard to focus and align. A single reflector or lens's effectiveness depends on how small the area emitting light is so it works great with halogens with a small bright filament. The larger the emitting area, the worse the possible focus. Only by making a larger lens can the situation be improved but there is only so much room for a headlight here. For thermal reasons alone it is likely this power level can never be made in a tiny area with LEDs, they must be distributed across a heatsink. With distributed emitters, you need separate lenses for each one which will do a great job in a small size. However, aligning them all is kind of a trick. I seem to recall that with some of the most powerful LED pkgs currently available, it was going to take like 100 devices and lenses, and a kick-ass heatsink solution.

Bottom line, there's no way an LED headlight is going to have any practical benefit on the road. But, it has a LOT of "wow" factor. If you want to build an EV to get from point A to point B quietly, forget it. If you want an EV to show off and spread the message of EVs to as many people as possible, there's maybe something to it. It impresses people and I've noted that "LED headlights" and anything associated with them lingers in people's heads for a long time!

Danny

David Roden wrote:

However, I see three problems with LEDs for lighting, particularly for headlights. I am not an engineer but the following is my understanding of the problems, amenable to correction by those who are engineers familiar with LED design.

1. They aren't yet very good for >illuminating< things (the basic job of the headlights). A single unit doesn't produce many lumens, and multiple units are a challenge to combine with optics to produce the beam patterns required in headlights.

2. High output (hundreds of lumens) white LED arrays are just now beginning to approach the efficiency of fluorescent lamps, and the best in this respect are still engineering samples. Many inexpensive high output white LEDs barely exceed halogen incandescents in efficiency. (The reason that they perform well in flashlights is that they respond better than incandescents to declining battery voltage.)

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:23:16 -0400

I think the Sonoma is bigger ( so the s 10 ois better) , don't know about the adapter or tranny ,
steve clunn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:12:52 -0500

Don't rember where I read this but the GMC rear bed rails are spaced apart farther and batteries fit better. Again not first hand info so take with salt.

later,
Wire

From: "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:08:30 -0500

All -

Okay, this is sort of a lazy question, but is there a difference between the Chevy S10 and the GMC Sonoma?? Will the S10 adapter, etc, work on the Sonoma - ergo, do they have the same engine/tranny setups??

Thx, Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Sonoma

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

        From:  "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    To:  ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
 Subject:  RE: Daytime lights requirement?    Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:08:03
-0700    Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer | Save to Yahoo!
Briefcase ]

I just ripped out the daytime running relay.    Don         Don Cameron,
Victoria, BC, Canada     see the New Beetle EV project
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev    -----Original Message-----  From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On  Behalf Of Steven Potter  Sent: June
20, 2006 5:34 PM  To: 'EV List'  Subject: Daytime lights requirement?    I just
learned today that in order to register my imported-from-USA   truck in
Ontario I will need to have it "upgraded" to run with lights on at all  times.
SYMBOL 76 \f "Wingdings" \s 12    I expect this is one of the first things I'll
want to un-do as I   convert to  electric drive. Has anyone had any experience
with this requirement?  Best to install a manual switch as an over ride to save
on amps?    Steven Potter  '98 Ranger / Toronto   HYPERLINK "mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Roger,

The next test I am going to do, is to install a on board chassis mounted 60 amp
2-pole GFCI circuit breaker that will replace the existing circuit breaker that
is between the AC input plug and battery charger.

Again, no AC ground connected to the EV frame, only to the charger chassis.
Will use a 50 amp switch to connected or disconnect the AC ground to the frame
for this test.

With the ground connected, I will get a full battery charger DC out voltage
reading between any one battery terminal to the EV frame.

Connecting the ground, I will get no or some reduce voltage reading to the
frame.

While the EV frame is ungrounded, I will than short the any one of the battery
terminals to the EV frame.  It is known when I did this test with a standard
breaker, the voltage between the battery terminal and frame would be at a very
low reading, and than when shorted, the circuit breaker did not trip.

But, if it is a GFCI unit, than may or may not trip off.  If a person touches
the frame at the time it is shorted to the DC or AC line, it may trip the GFCI
unit if the person has a good ground return.

By turning off the ground connection to the frame, allows me to work on the
batteries live doing shunt connection testing on the battery links while
leaning against the EV chassis which I do not feel any current as I would if it
is grounded.  In any case the GFCI would provide addition protection.

You are saying, what is Shunt Connection Testing of Battery links?  The
procedure is as follows:

1. Connected a multimeter set to the ma scale in parallel with the battery
lines.  Connect only to the battery post, not to the battery connectors.

2. Turn on the battery charger and set to a ampere below 5 amps.

3.  Read the current values of several links and record the lowest readings
which you will now use for a reference for all the other battery links.

4.  Using a inch-lbs torque wrench, that you slip on a foam rubber hose cover,
so as to prevent any shorting between any battery connections, tighten the
battery connectors until they all read same ma current value.

5.  I also cover the top of the batteries with a electrical rubber blanket, we
use for overhead line work and rubber gloves design for a rating of at least
600 volts and a rubber floor like you now get for garages.

The above test is normally done on initial installation of the battery set.
You now can quickly test the connections after you have driven the EV the first
5 miles.  In the first 5 miles, you will have the greatest shrink back, meaning
the brush battery post will melt down a little.

About once a month, I  test the ma current flow of the links and than adjust as
needed.

Roland

In rewiring older houses that have two wire conductors
From: Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Basic Manual Charger Schematic
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:39:22 -0700 (PDT)

A variac charger is very simple, and would cost you about $200, with all the parts available on-line very simply, except for the basic enclosure for the parts other than the variac itself (small toolbox, lunchbox, etc.) some wire and common connectors and a piece of sheet metal for a heat sink.

BUT

I would strongly recommend that you spend a little time educating yourself on battery charging principles and how a basic rectifier charger works. (Bad boy, modified bad boy, etc.) You should understand the (simple) theory behind its operation, then you can make an educated decision about the design you want, how many safety devices you want to incorporate, etc.

The basic design for a variac charger for a 108 volt pack is this: Buy a 10 to 20 amp 110 Volt Variac off EBay. (Search for "variac") Chinese units are regularly available for $125 or so delivered; used domestic units are also sold in large numbers.. When you plug the variac in, and turn the dial, it gives you a variable voltage alternating current output. It's big, and heavy, and dumb. You run 12 gauge wires from the output of the variac to a bridge rectifier with a voltage and amperage rating higher than you're working with. (Easy enough, 200 to 400 volt, 35 amp bridge rectifiers are widely available online for about $5 apiece. Example: http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.asp?SearchQuery=35+bridge+rectifier&SearchType=STANDARD&submit=search+again The rectifier converts the alternating current to direct current. You will want to buy a box of crimp on female wire disconnects to connect your wires to the rectifier. (Any hardware store - $2 for 10 or so.) Voila! You now have a charger. It's crude, and dangerous, and has the capacity to fill (or ruin) your pack. You will need some means of connecting the wires from the DC posts of the rectifier to your pack - battery charger style clamps are, again, widely available in hardware stores; you may have some other means in mind. After you connect it to your batteries, and raise the voltage on the variac dial, the amps will climb You will need an ammeter so that you can crank up the voltage until the charger is pushing the 10 amps you're aiming for into your battery pack - but no higher, (This will be somewhere around the 75% zone of the variac dial) If you go too far you may pop the circuit breaker or eventually cook your batteries. Again, ammeters are widely available online for $10 - $15. Example: http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=698-8206&SEARCH=ammeter&ID=&MPN=8206Z&DESC=8206Z Wire the ammeter in series on one of the DC wires coming out of the rectifier. Okay, so now you can generate variable voltages of DC (pulsing DC, actually, but that's not an issue yet) and can read the amps rising as you increase the voltage, so you can turn it up to just the right voltage. The next problem is that your bridge rectifier is going to get hot. So you need some metal to bolt it to to absorb some of that heat and radiate it out. If you don't have any around the house, you can buy a piece at a hardware store. Aluminum is best; copper is okay, regular old sheet steel will work too. No special size or shape - the bigger and more surface area the better, up to about 6" or so, It's kind of funky to have all these pieces just rattling around (you're talking about messing with around a kilowatt of juice) so you want to put them in a box. You can pick up a small toolbox or lunch box for about $5, and fasten the rectifier and heatsink and ammeter inside it. But now you've got the heat from the rectifier building up inside, so you probably want to vent it with a fan. Another $10: http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=997-1123&SEARCH=120+vac+fan&ID=&MPN=SP100A%2D1123XST&DESC=SP100A%2D1123XST

This will work. You've got your variac over here, connected to your box with 12 gauge wires over there, with a meter in the box to read your amps and two wires with adjustible DC coming out to connect to your pack. That's your basic, no-frills variac charger. It's about as complicated as a rock. You should be able to figure out which wire goes where just by looking at it. If you try to plug it into a 15 Amp outlet you may blow the breaker if you push too much juice through it. (The "power factor" is bad.) 108V pack you should be okay at 10 amps, but you never know. Also, you will only be charging at one voltage once you set the variac unless you come out and manually adjust it from time to time. The amps will start to drop shortly after you start charging, and then the voltage may be too high when your batteries start to get full. There is a level that will push a useful amount of juice into your pack without running the risk of hurting your batteries - but it won't charge as fast at that voltage. Etc. To optimize it's utility for you will require a small amount of trial and error - if you understand the principle behind what you're doing. If you don't, bad things will probably happen. (And add-ons like circuit breakers or fuses and GFCI are good, too.)

Again - educating yourself as to the basic priciples involved wil let you make a cheap and workable (if crude) auxiliary charger. But if you don't do the learning, you may do some burning!

Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: --- James Massey  wrote:

> Sounds like you need a variac charger of some form - either a 10A variac or
>
> These type of chargers are generally built based on things you "find",
> rather than buying everything needed. A variac from a 'hamfest' or if luck > has it a second-hand shop, an industrial 'junk dealer' (where my 240VAC 30A

Thanks James,

But I am unfortunately one of those people that (although I don't have alot of money) has more money than time. I really don't have the time to go 'scrounging around' hamfests, surplus houses, junk dealers, etc. even if I knew where to
find them. (Which would take even more time to find. ;-)

Although I may end up spending a bit more money I would like to just order the
parts from some online place and then build it in a couple (few?) evenings.

I have tried quite a bit of searching and I find lots of different power supply and charger circuits and all of them are just not quite what I'm looking for. I
know just enough to be dangerous so I need a little something a little more
'kit like'. Like the old Heath Kit sort of thing.

Regards,
Chet