  1) Re: Ampabout ... 3kw genset
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: is copper all the same? Piggyback question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Isolated vs. Non-isolated Battery Chargers
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Maine EV's
        by "Tom Gocze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Maine EV's
        by "Tom Gocze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Portland Who Killed the Electric Car Release
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Voltage sag under load
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: is copper all the same?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
  9) Re: Ampabout ... 3kw genset
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: This Just In!!
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Impressions of a newby - 50 EV miles and counting
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Video of Red Beastie's demise
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Costco golf car battery
        by Cory Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: BASIC Stamp 2 on sale
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: S10 conversion
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Daytime lights requirement?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Impressions of a newby - 50 EV miles and counting
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Body work
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Video of Red Beastie's demise
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Ampabout ... 3kw genset
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Impressions of a newby - 50 EV miles and counting
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Ampabout ...
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: EV Conversion Business
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Ampabout ... 3kw genset
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Re: Impressions of a newby - 50 EV miles and counting
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Direct Drive  and Infinitely Variable Transmission
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Costco golf car battery
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Direct Drive  and Infinitely Variable Transmission
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Ampabout ... 3kw genset
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Impressions of a newby - 50 EV miles and counting
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Jack,

I am trying to avoid using a small trailer. I am hoping I can
install a trailer hitch on my S-10 Blazer EV
http://www.racepages.com/fr3/parts/hitch/chevy/s10_blazer.html

Then use a special trailer hitch accessory that will let me install
the genset on:
http://www.hitchcorner.com/atv-racks.htm

Not having a trailer off the back of the EV will save weight and
not have the wheel drag of a two wheeled trailer.

With the above accessory, I would have room and weight carrying
capacity to have a 5 gallon gas con on either side.

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Dave Cover wrote:
> I'm using the BB600 NiCad cells that have a nickel pad; I definitely
> don't want to have any exposed copper.

Right! With nickel terminals, you're better off nickel plating your
lugs. Exposed copper, or lead, or tin/lead solder will provide the
dissimilar metals that encourage corrosion.

> I was thinking of dipping the lugs in a solder pot before crimping them.

If you're going to crimp and solder, then do the crimp FIRST, then dip
solder it. But see above; the solder should not be left exposed.

> I have good adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to cover the gap between
> the lug and the insulation.

That keeps electrolyte from wicking in between the wire and its
insulation. But it won't keep it off the terminal itself.

> Someone mentioned using lithium grease to coat the exposed copper.

That works; but so does vaseline or even axle grease. Frankly, plain old
grease is about 90% as good as the high-priced special contact greases.

Exactly,

That is what i was thinking. How can a grounded chassis, through the grounding of ht ebattery charger frame and hence through the earth prong of the power cord be HOT??

Doesn't make sense.

Cheers

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Isolated vs. Non-isolated Battery Chargers
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:22:59 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi All,
>
> This has been on my mind for ages.
>
> Firstly, what is the potential safety hazards when using a non-isolated
> battery charger like the PFC on a vehicle. PLease don't say you will get
> shocked or it is unwise. I want to know details, like can you get shocked
> in
> terms of electrical paths etc.
>
> If this non-isolated battery charger is used on a vehicle whose ground is
> tied to the vehicle's chassis. What will happen in terms of safety
> hazards.
> What are the electrical pathways for the possible shock risks to occur.
>
> If this happens to a vehicle with total isolation between the battery pack
> and the frame of the vehicle. WHat will happen (i think nothing).
>
> ALso, has anyone on the list used a non-isolated battery charger with;
>
> 1. Batteries tied to frame.
> 2. Batteries not tied to frame.
>
> How do you ground the charger? I don't really see any hazards as such
> either
> way. Probably only when you touch the positive terminal of the battery
> pack
> being charged.
>
> Whatdo the PFC chargers recommend?
>
> Does the US standards state anything about needing to have isolation in
> battery chargers?
>
> Cheers...You'll be helping more than myself here.

Ah, nothing like a discussion on non-isolated chargers, grounding, and
GFCI protection.  The RUSSCO non-isolated, grounded case, GFCI protected
chargers are the Model SCxx.  The SC stands for "Safety Charger."

Let's look at residential house wiring.  In the kitchen, the metallic
stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and refrigerator all have their metal
frames grounded, either through hardwiring the stove and dishwasher, or a
ground prong on the disposal and refrigerator cord.  In the laundry room,
the washer and dryer have their metal frames grounded through the ground
prong on the cord.

Back in the kitchen, laundry room, garage, and bathroom, all receptacles
will have GFCI protection.  The reason GFCI is used in these areas is
because there can be contact with water or the earth.

Power wiring for an electric vehicle is no different, as per the NEC,
section 625.  Whether the charger is isolated or not, the vehicle frame
must be grounded to the electrical service via a green ground wire, which
is normally part of the power cord to the charger.  If the frame of the
car is at ground, there can be no potential, or zero volts, between the
car body and the ground.  Thus, no shock hazard between the car and
ground.

Any electric vehicle charger must be powered from a GFCI service.  A
standard GFCI will shut off all AC power when a 4-6 ma. fault current
flows, protecting a normal adult.  The GFCI also alerts the owner of a
conductive path from any propulsion component to vehicle chassis and
forces the owner to take corrective action.

In my opinion, and the National Electrical Code, every EV shall have a
grounded chassis and GFCI AC service protection.  That's why every RUSSCO
charger manufactured has a built in GFCI.  Without a built in GFCI, there
is no guarantee the owner will operate from a GFCI outlet.

Russ Kaufmann

RUSSCO Engineering

The Other PFC Charger With Built In GFCI

http://www.russcoev.com

Be the one of the first to try the NEW Windows Live Mail. http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d

Hi All,
There are more than a few Maine EV'ers, it's just Maine is a big place with not
many people and we like it that way.
I am in Stockton Springs and only have five ev's at this time. Two registered
and on the road.
Am working on my 1995 S10. It was originally a 1987 S10 that the local utility
company had converted with a US Solar kit. It had an automatic trans and was a
little crusty, so I am swapping it over to the '95 with a manual trans. Put in
the motor yesterday. Rolled it around on 12v in the yard. Simple pleasures!

So here is the question of the day. It is my understanding that most S10
drivers use second gear from start up to about 45 mph. They then use third when
on an interstate. (All this at 120V.)
Why not run the motor right on the differential with the proper belt drive to
mimic the trans in second gear and then go to field weakening when having to go
faster?
Wouldn't this lose a bunch of rotational weight and make the vehicle simpler
(mechanically, anyway). I guess this pre-supposes that you are using the S10 as
a passenger vehicle and not a true truck.

Hope to install the nicads next week once I figure out where the boxes are
going. Took off the bed today and all the remnants of the ICE. Now to just get
rid of all the ICE dregs...
Tom in Maine

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The "Fox 10" (Fox Tower 10, I think) theater in Portland is scheduled to show WKEC July 21st. Has any of the Portland EV crowd contacted the theater General Manager to see if an event could be centered around the first evening showings (or even a special showing)? I am going to be in town for the O'Reilly OSCon show the following week.. if anything is planned I'd like to come up early. (I am thinking of leaving early to be present for the Austin showingon the 28th.. we still working out the details but it looks like we'll have a few cars present)

Mark Farver

Okay, I'm confused.  What is an acceptable level of voltage sag for a lead-acid
battery under a heavy amp draw?   Should a 12 volt battery stay above 11 volts?
 10?  9?  I sem to remember someone (Lee Hart?) saying that anything below 10.5
is dangerous, yet I see others talking about a sag to 9 or even lower under a
heavy draw being OK.  Any commentary will be appreciated.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much
more to come.

Hi Brian:

A McMaster Carr catalog (and their website) can give you some insight into the
different grades of copper and its uses.

Alloy 101 is oxygen free 99.99% pure copper, electronics grade and is the
standard that all other metals are compared to. Alloys in the 100's are good.

But, of course, unless you buy it you won't (really) know what grade it is -
except for one:

Copper water pipe is Alloy 122. It's conductivity is about 75% - 80% of alloy
101. It has a little phosphorus in it which helps it to conduct heat better and
it also has better mechanical characteristics. It's still 99% copper and it
conducts electricity well, but not best.

There maybe a materials guy out there that can put all this in perspective.

Dana

From: Staffanson Brian J Civ 309 EMXG/QPE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> For all you material science type of people out there, I was curious.  Is
> there a difference between the type of copper used in the different types of
> wires and cables, (such as house wire and stranded hook-up wire) bus-bars,
> copper pipes, the big grounding rods, copper from a metal shop, scrap
> copper, etc.  Will each of these have differing amounts of resistance?  Are
> there potential problems with creating my own bus bars from a metal shop
> that sells copper?

Jack Murray wrote:
Would it make sense to create a trailer with the generator?
Somewhat like welders that are put on small trailers.
Seems a lot easier to engineer, you don't want 5gal gas can inside your car.

I saw the ICE pusher trailer that was the front of a civic. that was cool!

bruce parmenter wrote:
David,

I believe your figure are correct. With the added weight of the
genset (~200 lbs total to mount it + a full 5 gal gas can) the
performance will be like a 4 banger ICE.

Listers please remember the use of this genset is not a permanent
plan. Its use is just temporary so I can get around in an area that
does not have public EV charging.

An example would be I move to Arkansas. I would need to be able to go around and submit my resume/filled-out job applications, then
get back to where Iw as staying.

Once I have obtained a job and secured housing within my range that
allows me to recharge my EV, I would take the genset set off my EV
and store it away.

4'x4' steel trailers can be had new & complete for less then $200.... like this one for example:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90153

Some even have "short metal sides and hinging top" add-on kits.

Or if it fits, this would be even better:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92655

~ Peanut Gallery ~

Hey Bob,

Sorry to hear about the accident with Tony's EV's. Your EV club must have some sort of "Cosmic Kick Me Sign" planted on its backside.

I guess this is a different approach to crushing EVs. Did you all check to see if this was a GM or Ford dump truck?

As you know down here in DC the EV1 has been put in quarantine by the Smithsonian. It wasn't playing well with the other exhibits especially with Cinderella's Pumpkin Chariot which was across the hall. So last week it was moved to their warehouse in Suitland, Maryland. We need the E-Team to go rescue it. I'll give them directions.

>Dave Cover, still working on moving the EV count in the positive direction.

Good point Dave. We've actually been loosing ground EV wise. Ron Freund was saying something like 3000 to 4000 EVs have been taken out of service if you count all the OEMs that have taken EVs off leases and/or crushed them.

It's time to make up some lost ground here. But we can't have weird accidents taking out EVs as well. The "Anti-EV Vortex" appears to be morphing into different forms.

My parents hybrid was stolen a couple weeks ago, but fortunately Lowjack saved the day. Found the car within several hours in Rich Rudman's garage as he was reverse engineering it :-)

See ya!!

Chip Gribben

EVA/DC
http://www.evadc.org

Don't drive that truck another mile until its brakes and handling
problems are resolved.  That truck could kill somebody!

Your brakes probably need to be completely rebuilt to restore them
to like new performance.  Your problem is not the lack of
engine drag.  The Courier brakes in good condition should be
adequate.

You didn't say what your handling problems are.  Your Courier
probably suffers from the usual symptoms of a tail heavy pickup.
It tends to oversteer and wander.  At speeds over about 30 mph it
could go completely out of control.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Condie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: S10 conversion
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 04:20:11 -0700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Sonoma

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Ampabout ... 3kw genset Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:59:10 -0700 (PDT)

Jack,

I am trying to avoid using a small trailer. I am hoping I can
install a trailer hitch on my S-10 Blazer EV
http://www.racepages.com/fr3/parts/hitch/chevy/s10_blazer.html

Then use a special trailer hitch accessory that will let me install
the genset on:
http://www.hitchcorner.com/atv-racks.htm

Not having a trailer off the back of the EV will save weight and
not have the wheel drag of a two wheeled trailer.

With the above accessory, I would have room and weight carrying
capacity to have a 5 gallon gas con on either side.

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

This is a Ford Courier? I'm assuming it didn't have power assisted brakes?

If the brakes were power assisted, you might consider adding back in a
vacuum pump to get them working again. Otherwise, a larger master cylinder
(larger diameter piston) will help with stopping pedal force. It won't help,
of course, if your brakes are glazed. Replacing the shoes with high temp
shoes will stop them from being cooked. There are numerous places where you
can have shoes relined, since factory shoes are minimal at best, on most
cars. I had mine relined with a yellow woven material that could stand up
against 12 times the normal heat... and stopped 40% better with the same
pedal pressure.

That, of course, won't help with overheating, but it will keep the friction
material from failing. You are converting forward motion directly into heat.
Stock brake drums will probably overheat and warp, unless they have blowers
on them, are overly heavy in construction, and/or are vented. You are
smelling them burning? I'd suggest pulling things apart. That may be a fluid
or grease leak on the shoes. Brakes can stink, but not usually. If you are
smelling the shoes, they are fried and need replacing. If they've been
overheated, don't rebuild these but get some new ones to rebuild. Going with
a larger diameter drum will help both with stopping power and overheating.

Also look around. There were some models (from what I'm reading from the
Australian groups) that some had (or were later equipped with) disk brakes.
Oversized disks (vented) on front, and disks on back will help alleviate
overheating. Even with these, give a larger stopping distance. It'll not
only help your brakes, but increase your range.

Mag wheels (properly designed) will draw more air across your brakes,
helping keep them cooler, once you get proper brakes on this rig.

Even with your battery load, this rig should be stopping similar to a fully
loaded truck. Glazed friction material will be a cause for excessive pedal
pressure. This rig is 30 years old, so all 4 brakes may not be operational
(frozen cylinders on one or both sides) or they may not be seating properly.
This is especially true if the truck sat outside for any length of time.

> >From: "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
> >Subject: Re: Impressions of a newby - 50 EV miles and counting
> >Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:34:30 -0700
> >
> >Don't drive that truck another mile until its brakes and handling
> >problems are resolved.  That truck could kill somebody!
> >
> >Your brakes probably need to be completely rebuilt to restore them
> >to like new performance.  Your problem is not the lack of
> >engine drag.  The Courier brakes in good condition should be
> >adequate.
> >
> >You didn't say what your handling problems are.  Your Courier
> >probably suffers from the usual symptoms of a tail heavy pickup.
> >It tends to oversteer and wander.  At speeds over about 30 mph it
> >could go completely out of control.
> >
> >----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Condie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

Would someone explain what the term "ampabout" entails? I've seen it in several posts, but haven't caught on to the idea behind the word. I guess I could be creative :)

-Ryan
--

- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Summer Special - Free shipping on all orders over $500!

Hi, Jack - with the price of gasoline some people are finally starting to
get interested in conversions. I have one lined up for this winter already,
and another already done conversion that a man is interested in buying. I
don't think that is enough to make a living on yet, but it could depend on
where you are. I am in the central Willamette Valley on Oregon.

Get one done yourself, then get the word out that you want to do
conversions, and they will come. Please do a quality job, so you don't
embarrass the rest of us that want to do conversions :)

Joe