  1) RE: More Insanity !!!!!!! WAS: This Just In!!
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Sponsors- EV1 exhibit
        by "EVRIDER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Addicted to Oil: Thomas L. Friedman Reporting
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV digest 5590
        by Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: 300V precharge resistor
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: 300V precharge resistor
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Frank DIDIK opinion
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Frank DIDIK opinion
        by Martin Klingensmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Hacked into the Dolphin's microcode
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tropica #17 on sale on eBay for $10k, needs new batts
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: More Insanity !!!!!!! WAS: This Just In!!
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EV1 GONE- Smithsonian writes back again!
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Frank DIDIK opinion, and Mine.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: More Insanity !!!!!!! WAS: This Just In!!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Tropica #17 on sale on eBay for $10k, needs new batts
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Frank DIDIK opinion
 17) RE: More Insanity !!!!!!! WAS: This Just In!!
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Zilla DAQ 4 mode questions or how to graph a race?
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Zilla DAQ 4 mode questions or how to graph a race?
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Zilla DAQ 4 mode questions or how to graph a race?
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Tropica #17 on sale on eBay for $10k, needs new batts
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The thing to do is to contact the reporter who did the news clips
and see if they are willing to follow up. It can be amazing how much gets
done when it becomes public someone screwed up or didn't do their job.
Ie the cops for not nailing the guy, insurance co, etc etc.

Dave

>   Hi EVerybody;
>
>    Just talked to Tony. I can't believe that this can be allowed
> to happen;

This exhibition is made possible by generous support from:

General Motors Corporation

AAA

State Farm Companies Foundation

The History Channel

United States Congress

U.S. Department of Transportation

ExxonMobil

American Public Transportation Association

American Road & Transportation Builders Association

Association of American Railroads

National Asphalt Pavement Association

The UPS Foundation

(Bold Emphasis theirs)

-EVRIDER

Well .. I haven't been at a gas station for .. hmm .. 8 months or so.
Though I  don't live in a big city (actually the opposite ;) I am lucky
because everything I need is in range. Well, almost everything as I have
to make a 30 Miles drive every Saturday. Safti would easily make the 30
Miles, but, since I don't like to drain my batteries less than 50% DOD, I
lobbied the owner of the place I have to drive to, to install a nice 220V
dryer outlet so I am able to plug in and charge for two hours or so. I
even put a 'EV Charging Area' sign out. Since I live in South Texas (right
between a gas compactor and a oil well pump) it is almost blasphemy to
drive an EV here ..

I am perfectly happy with my EV though I haven't been in Houston for a
long time. Just too far out of range. That is why God (or was it Al Gore?)
invented the Internet and Online Shopping.

So - yes, I guess there are plenty of people out there that haven't been
at a gas pump in quite some time ...

Michaela

Mike,
I think most of us agree there are groups that would like the all electric
car to just go away.  The problem for them is that it won't, not because
there are just a few looney's that like them now as a hobby and they will
eventually fade away - but because there is a true want and need for
something that runs on something other than gas or diesel.  Look around
you (virtually) - what is happening in lists like this one - is a group of
individuals supporting each other to sustain a real need that the "powers
that be" are refusing to fulfill.  As a result, a network develops to fill
that need - just like in Business 101 class - supply and demand.  Ok, I
will say it, right now there is a demand and the only thing filling it on
this side of the pond is an underground network of people building  and
refurbishing used or homebuilt vehicles.  A video documenting all of us
filling our need for EVs WITHOUT the big 3 or govn't would be one heck of
a story!

If I may wander for a moment, as far a all the negative press in govn't
and media - it only take 2 people to form a conspiracy - lets see - how
many people work in the govn't and the press?  Some people think the
definition of conspiracy is along the lines of believing in the tooth
fairy.  Think of it this way - most people are born as a result of a
conspiracy between their parents to have children.  If the word is too
dark - then just say "two or more people agreed".
Hang in There,
Jimmy
Check out:
https://dm3electrics.com/

> From: Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Addicted to Oil: Thomas L. Friedman Reporting

> Someone tell me again why shows like this do not highlight any of the
> progress made on the home conversion front?  Many of you seem to avoid
> gas
> stations for very long periods of time.  I've gone nearly a month and so
> far
> have only driven the gasser 1 day since the conversion hit the road.  Do
> we have within the community what it takes  to make a movie?  Has anyone
> approached Chris Paine on making a sequal on the rebirth  of the
electric
> car?
>
> Mike,
> Anchorage, Ak.

Jay,
Careful there...  Let's say you are at 295 volts with a 100 resistor.  The peak
power when you engage the pre-charge resistor is pretty high... 295^2 / 100 =
870.25 watts.  15 watt resistor might be OK (assuming it is of the wire wound
type).  I'd probably go a bit bigger, perhaps 50 watt or so.

Also beware of the peak current when selecting your relay.  Peak inrush would
be 295 / 100 = 2.95 amps.

If you can I'd try to find a relay that is rated for the voltage and current.

Regards,
Chris Brune

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> In hooking up a Godzilla 1800 controller (pre-hairball), it requires a
> precharge
> resistor, so I'm trying to find an appropriate 12V relay to bring in the
> resistor.
> Per the manual;
> ====================
>  This controller must be
> precharged with a 100 to 200 ohm resistor (15 watts is fine) before the main
> contactor is engaged. The main contactor should not be engaged until the
> controller has risen to within 10 volts of the pack voltage.
> To insure this it is imperative that there is a voltmeter connected to the
> Battery terminals of the controller and that it is checked for voltage before
> the main contactor is engaged.
> ====================
> So, we're not talking about much power going through this relay, but it needs
> handle up to 295 volts from my 240V nominal nicad pack....
> A fuse and 12V relay to pass 0.05 amps at 295 volts? Any suggestions?  Before
> hook in a regular automotive relay, who's blown some of these up so I don't
> have
> to?
>
> -Jay
> Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM.
> All on demand. Always Free.

Note:

1) Use a 50 watt power resistor, nothing less. They take a lot of strain. I think we use 150 ohm 50 watt resistors and wait the 5 or so seconds.

2) Use a contactor, not a relay. I recommend the small kilovac that has a make/break rating of 300+ volts DC.

I've seen these blow up in the Dolphins from time to time.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
In hooking up a Godzilla 1800 controller (pre-hairball), it requires a precharge resistor, so I'm trying to find an appropriate 12V relay to bring in the resistor. Per the manual; ==================== This controller must be precharged with a 100 to 200 ohm resistor (15 watts is fine) before the main contactor is engaged. The main contactor should not be engaged until the controller has risen to within 10 volts of the pack voltage. To insure this it is imperative that there is a voltmeter connected to the Battery terminals of the controller and that it is checked for voltage before the main contactor is engaged.
====================
So, we're not talking about much power going through this relay, but it needs to handle up to 295 volts from my 240V nominal nicad pack.... A fuse and 12V relay to pass 0.05 amps at 295 volts? Any suggestions? Before I hook in a regular automotive relay, who's blown some of these up so I don't have to?

-Jay

Ran across this, was wondering others reaction/opinion to his writings,
http://www.didik.com/criticalev.htm

most specifically,

".. the cost to run a small electric car (non-hybrid) is about three times more than a conventional economy gasoline car. Since the cost of electricity tends to more or less follow the cost of fuel, it is unlikely that this ratio will change in the future. Electric cars are fun to have and drive, but you will not save money, nor will you really help the environment."

thought it might be out of date, but was updated 2005.
I think he did make a good point about the weight of electric vehicles which I agree with, there really needs to be better, lighter, more econmical way to store electrical power than Lead batteries. I guess this is the fuel cell, but that seems pretty far off. A wind-up spring?

Jack

One thing I dislike is his comment that batteries "pollute" while
charging, giving off hydrogen and oxygen that could explode ...
While batteries do gas a little, it is my understanding that this is
minimal and SHOULD be minimal otherwise you are just cooking the life
out of your batteries. Am I wrong?
He goes on to say that "electro-magnetic emissions" from the batteries
could cause "various human ailments" If this is the case, then we'd all
have major issues and NOT from electric cars.
I think he tries to have an answer for everything, that he may not
really know enough about to be an authority - regardless of his
experience. Reading this list for a while leads me to believe he is a
bit outdated.

His EM thoughts remind me of the MD who was telling people not to talk
on their cellphones in a lightning storm because it could attract the
lightning.

--
Martin K

Jack Murray wrote:

> Ran across this, was wondering others reaction/opinion to his writings,
> http://www.didik.com/criticalev.htm
>
> most specifically,
>
> ".. the cost to run a small electric car (non-hybrid) is about three
> times more than a conventional economy gasoline car. Since the cost of
> electricity tends to more or less follow the cost of fuel, it is
> unlikely that this ratio will change in the future. Electric cars are
> fun to have and drive, but you will not save money, nor will you
> really help the environment."
>
> thought it might be out of date, but was updated 2005.
> I think he did make a good point about the weight of electric vehicles
> which I agree with, there really needs to be better, lighter, more
> econmical way to store electrical power than Lead batteries.  I guess
> this is the fuel cell, but that seems pretty far off.  A wind-up spring?
>
> Jack

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Just a note: This evening after a weekend of trying I was able to build a circuit that allows me complete access to the 68HC711K4 microprocessor in the Hughes AC Dolphin. I can now see and modify all the parameters.

First order is to fix the stranded chips that got messed up via DOLCOM. Next up is 80kw Prizm update. Then maybe 100kw; I liked Ed Ang's car in CA and want one of my own.

Or I could double the IGBTs in a daughter box and go to 160kw. What would a 160kw AC powered Geo Prizm do? Before the diff explodes :-)

Wow - sold for $17,877.77, with 3 bidders willing to pay above $17,000!

Not bad for a car whose suggested retail base price was $11,900.00
($15,665.00 with options, and $14,098.00 after federal tax credit)

Between this and the RAV4 EVs, we're starting to see a trend that
electric cars have higher resell value than original price!

On 6/24/06, Jorg Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever to the owner or to eBay; I
would buy this car if I weren't already monetarily involved in 2 other
EVs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4653042632

==>
For Sale: Extremely rare 1995 Renaissance Tropica, lettered for Zebra
and purchased at the bankruptcy auction of Xebra Motors in Alameda,
CA. This is production car No. 17 out of a maximum of 22 vehicles. The
car is powered by 12, 6 volt deep discharge batteries. The battery
pack is flat and will need to be changed. It is currently titled and
registered in CA as a stored vehicle, with approximately 3,000 miles.
The seller is the first registered owner.
<==

There's lots of other info in the eBay motors listing.

All -

Well, I know I'm getting off the subject, but I just can't help myself. You should try "evicting" a non-paying renter in Alabama (I'm in the middle of this right now) - and I hear it is worse in other states:

- First, you are required to post (2) x (2 week) notices, so there goes a MONTH - Then, you can PAY the Sheriff $256 to post another 2 week notice, however, it takes 2 weeks for the judge to SIGN off on the notice, so there goes another MONTH - Just IN CASE you thought you were out of the woods, the tenant can, at any time, file a "counteraffadavit" (or some such BS) claiming he has been treated unfairyly, in which case you get to wait another MONTH for a court date and, if you're lucky (I suppose), the judge will order them out of the house, and the Sheriff will help you get them out.

Once again, 3 MONTHS to evict this low life, who HAS a job, but if I don't pay property tax on the place, the State of Alabama will sell it out from under me in a heart beat to collect same...

There are plenty of beds (and 3 squares) at the local homeless shelters, so it is not like this worthless POS would be left out in the heat or cold (or be hungry), even though, quite frankly, he deserves nothing better.

I hope Tony's insurance will provide some relief for him. His story IS unbelievable.

Mike

From: Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: More Insanity !!!!!!! WAS: This Just In!!
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:18:55 -0700

The thing to do is to contact the reporter who did the news clips
and see if they are willing to follow up. It can be amazing how much gets
done when it becomes public someone screwed up or didn't do their job.
Ie the cops for not nailing the guy, insurance co, etc etc.

Dave

>   Hi EVerybody;
>
>    Just talked to Tony. I can't believe that this can be allowed
> to happen;

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 1:34, Chip Gribben wrote:

So its not exactly quite cut and dry here.

1) The Smithsonian claims they did not know about the movie but they turned Chris down in his initial request to film there.

I'm sorry, but you are the one being dishonest here. The response you got did not say that they did not know about the movie. They said the decision to move the exhibit was made before anyone at the Smithsonian knew the release date of the movie. That's an entirely different statement, and not in contradiction to having turned down the filmmaker.
You are trying too hard to prove your conspiracy here.

2) They say they are unbiased but in the display they say the car "failed".

Well, of course they are biased, but again, not what the reply said - the movie was/is political, they couldn't provide support for one political side or the other. To say that the EV1 failed may or may not be evidence of bias, but it certainly isn't political.

Biased or not, it is a statement of truth - it failed, whether it was because GM wanted it to fail or some other reason.