        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply/Blog
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply/Blog
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: EV digest 5644
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply/Blog
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) unknown motor, questions for the Gurus
        by Matthew Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply/Blog
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Zilla 1141 code
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Jacking up the rear of a VoltsRabbit (WAS Re: creaky rear struts in
VoltsRabbit - slightly O.T.)
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply/Blog
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Jacking up the rear of a VoltsRabbit (WAS Re: creaky rear struts in
VoltsRabbit - slightly O.T.)
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Overheating Controller
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Solectria Force
        by "mike young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Reverend Gadget - To make Electric 49 LowRider Olds
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Chris Paine to Ride in White Zombie, Ride?  Hell, DRIVE it!!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Fwd: Electric Vehicle Engineers Needed Immediately
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Better range with low seat height
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- An FC vehicle is still an EV, I don't see where the list was designated to be only BEV. Sometimes there are also emails about generator "range extenders", the FC may better fill that role. Sometimes even "pusher" trailers which are a complete contradiction of the EV principle.

I wouldn't want to spend too long talking about FCs, not because they're OT but because they're simply not available. Debating the merits and drawbacks of nonexistant products is pointless since no one here is capable of designing or building a fuel cell.

Danny

Tom Watson wrote:

HEY!
I may be wrong, but isn't this alot off topic?
Isn't there a hydrogen list you could be posting to rather than clog
up the electric vehicle group?

Frankly, I don't care to discuss hydrogen vehicles unless there is a
discussion of the electric motor or a battery or super cap involved
in the discussion! I consider hydrogen vehicles to be a lost
cause!...  Just look at the freaking cost!!!

Move along now!
Tom

Based on my (far less rigorous) experience, that looks like two 6.8's.  With
two 6.8's I start to get a visible glow at around 14.4.  With a 6.8 and a 6.2 I
get a visible glow at around 13.8 - 13.9.

Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: "Paul G." wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Lee Hart wrote:
>
> > Here is the current vs. voltage relationship.
> >
> > Current Voltage
> > ------- -------
> > 0.1ma   12.46v
> > 1ma     12.88v  negligible current when not on charge
> > 10ma    13.18v
> > 100ma   13.60v  starts bypassing when battery exceeds gassing threshold
> > 200ma   14.42v        lamp begins to glow
> > 500ma   15.24v  lamp fully lit and limiting current
> >

> Love your testing Lee. Is that the 2x 6.8 numbers or the 6.8 + 6.2
> numbers? I'm guessing the second but wouldn't have guessed the 1ma
> point for either configuration.

This one is already potted; I think it has one 6.2v and one 6.8v zener.

countries) for 2ยข/min or less.

Do you guys know of a reliable web source about the energy it takes to
make hydrogen?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure you're wrong.  Its not all off topic.  There are some facts and
figures discussed here which relates using hydrogen to fuel "electric"
cars.  Frankly, any technology that makes electricity to power an
electric car is technically on topic.  You may not be into educating
or persuading the public as to the benefits of "Electric Vehicles",
but for those who are this is important information to get right so
they don't come out sounding like that Barthmuss guy from GM.

> I do not disagree with you though about hydrogen vehicles being a
lost cause.

> Mike,
> Anchorage, Ak.

What kills me is with all of this talk of GM and FC technology, only
3% of this list has a BMS in their EV.

From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:41 am
Subject: Re: OT re:WKTEC GM's Reply/Blog
To: MIKE WILLMON <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

> What kills me is with all of this talk of GM and FC technology,
> only
> 3% of this list has a BMS in their EV.
>
> Mike

At 11:18 AM -0700 7/11/06, Ricky Suiter wrote:
First I'll start off saying I've emailed Otmar about 36 hours ago and haven't recieved a response yet, I'm just getting a little anxious. At this moment the Saturn is dead in my driveway.

Sorry to be out of town on you. Andrew Letton was right, I was flying back from California and with my dead laptop I was out of email contact for some time. Yes it seems even Mac laptops have problems if you drop and abuse them often enough.

I had an Albright SW200 contactor in the car, which was a used part, that I think was causing problems. It had obviously been opened under load and the tips were pitted. I took it apart and sanded the tips and polished them, which now I know is a bad thing, but it did seem to remedy things for a few weeks. What was happening was it was shutting down under full throttle. I broke down and ordered a Kilovac EV200 contactor figuring I was going above the Albright's rating using 144 volts anyhow. I installed the new contactor, made sure to reuse the snubber diode, everything was hooked up correctly. I powered the high voltage back up and went to turn the car on and got nothing. It precharges then just gives the error 1141, which is contactor resistance high.

Anyone have this happen? I think 1141 means the contactor drive circuit is shot because it won't shut the contactor at all, and it certainly will close if I hook 12 volts to the coil.

There have been a number of very good responses to this thread. It sure is nice to know that so many of you understand how it works!

Yea Shit can that diode on the EV200. It has it's own diodes and controls.

You are SPECIFICALLY instructed to NOT USE any DIODES on the economizer
circuit Kilovac contactors.

Ok some responses need comments. :) Kilovac does not have a snubber built in. In fact it's a very noisy economizer circuit with voltage spikes that tend to cause problems with other electronics. I have since researched more and found that the Kilovac EV200 can be run on the Hairball without the snubber, but it does not hurt to do so. Don't try this with a different contactor though, the SW200 from Albright still must have a snubber.

I have heard that maybe he uses a 1.5Ke36CA. I would use a 1.5Ke18CA because
it's much closer to the 12 volts that should be there.

This would certainly be a problem. The reason I use a 24V part is that the high breakdown voltage allows the Kilovac contactor to turn off fast and not weld on. Try to use a lower voltage Zener/Snubber/Transorb and you are asking for a welded on contactor.

Ralph Merwin gets bonus points for quoting the manual. He is right, and I do think quite carefully before putting something in the manual.

Mark Farver is right on, this is excellent advice:

At 2:17 PM -0500 7/11/06, Mark Farver wrote:
1141 ( Main Contactor High Resistance ) is a tricky one. I believe John Wayland was having problems with it in the WZ. I've never seen it happen while starting the car, only under high amps. Did you clear all the codes before trying again?

As I understand it the precharge portion of the Hairball has a circuit that measures the voltage across the main contactor. I believe it expects this voltage to be very high (pack voltage) before precharge starts. Once precharge starts it expects it to drop to nearly zero (below six volts sticks in my mind) before it attempts to close the main contactor. Once the MC is closed and during operation it expects that voltage to stay low, if it rises too high it logs a 1141 and shuts down.

Your problem is probably not something wrong with the system. Check your precharge wires between the hairball and MC, and measure the on resistance of your new MC. Take it out of the car, and wire it to a circuit with some high amp load (headlight). Measure the voltage drop across it while closed (it should be very nearly zero), and if possible the current flowing. You can then calculate the resistance.

Make sure you do not have the precharge wires in the high current path. ie, the precharge wires should be outermost wire on the main contactor terminals.

My guess is both of your contactors are shot, or you have a problem in the wiring between the hairball and contactor.
Mark Farver

I'll add that 1141 can happen when starting the car. It will show up if the contactor does not turn on when the Hairball expects it to turn on. This can be a blown contactor driver in the Hairball (which happens the first time a large contactor is turned off without a snubber) or it could be a contactor not making a good connection when requested to turn on.

I'd like to comment on the suggestions for bypassing the Hairball and turning on the main contactor directly while it is in the circuit. NEVER DO THAT! At the least the controller will not run. At the worst the car could take off uncontrolled with a blown controller killing someone in the process. There is a reason the Hairball controls the main contactor.

At 8:07 PM -0700 7/11/06, Ricky Suiter wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Gets wierder now.
The contactor does have the built in coil economizer. The car was fully working before with the Albright contactor with Otmar's supplied diode. I got in the car and moved it up my driveway to change the contactor out, everything was fine. I swapped out the contactor, swapped the diode over too. I used it because the Zilla manual says to, and even says something about the supplied diode being compatible with the Kilovac contactors. I don't see how an extra diode would hurt anything, though I did play with the contactor before installing it and noticed there was very little arc when it was disconnected (BTW, don't play with a contactor near a computer monitor, it really messes it up). The contactor deffinitely closes when power is applied to the coils (even with the diode across it). I went out and disconnected the contactor coil connection from the hairball and it's showing about 7.5 volts when the key is turned on and no change in that when I give it the start signal. I'm thinking something must have happened in the hairball. I did clear the codes and try again, and again and again, but no go. I just want to know what the heck I messed up. Thanks guys
  Rick

It is possible that something is burned up inside the Hairball. The 7.5V with it off sounds like a ground trace may have melted from a inadvertent brush with a power connection. In that case I would have to have the Hairball back for repair. Be sure to use the Oregon address below if that is the case.

There are a few handy LED's on the Hairball for diagnosing 1141 errors:

First there is the Yellow LED. It lights when there is more than 6 Volts across the precharge terminals on the Hairball. These terminals should be wired directly to the large power terminals on the contactor. If this LED is on when the main contactor is supposed to be on, then the contactor is not really turning on.

Second there is the Green LED. This LED is in parallel with the output that drives the main contactor coil. If it never turns on during the start sequence, and you are getting only a 1141 error, then there is a problem internal to the Hairball, probably a blown contactor driver.

Third is the Precharge LED, this is one of the red ones and it turns on when the Hairball is attempting to precharge the controller.

Maybe it would help if I describe a standard sequence of startup.
1) Key off: Yellow on, green off, Precharge off.
2) Key on and turned to start does this:
        a: Precharge LED on,
        b: less than two seconds later, Yellow off.
        c: directly after Green on (with the contactor click hopefully).
        d: about five seconds later Precharge off.

At this time, the controller should have green on, yellow off, red off.
If for any reason the Yellow comes back on (open contactor, noise, etc) then the Hairball will shut down and log an error.

I hope this helps.
--
-Otmar-
914 EV, California Poppy,

Cafe Electric llc.
33842 S.E. Eastgate circle
Corvallis OR 97333
(866) 860-6608 Fax and voice mail, 24 hours.
http://www.CafeElectric.com/

My creaky rear struts have started acting up again since I
temporarily raised the air pressure in the tires for when I
thought I would be taking a longer trip (I normally keep them at
35psi F and 29psi R, and I took them up to 44/34).  I think it is
primarily the driver's side rear strut that is making the noise,
although it is hard to tell for sure.  We swapped sides a year or
so ago since I was getting a bit of a hammering sound from the
passenger side rear strut when I went over slightly washboard-y
road surface at 25-30mph.  The struts are the original
VoltsRabbit struts from 1994; the springs are newly installed
May/June 2005.  We wanted to see if the sound moved.

My question in this posting has to do with how to safely jack up
the rear of a VoltsRabbit.  When we had all the batteries out of
the car, we could jack it up on the middle angle iron of the rear
battery pack housing, using a piece of wood about the width of
the housing to spread out the stresses.  No problem there.  What
I cannot remember is whether we did this with batteries in the
car.  My feeling is that it will be ok to do so since the battery
weight will be in that housing, so I really should not have any
additional stresses over the unloaded state for all that sheet
metal around the housing.  My horror vision is having the rear
end of the car drop while the pack stays on top of the jack.  I
don't think I can jack on the suspension tube, since it needs to
pivot to let down the struts so I can get them out of the car.

I felt comfortable doing this with another person's help, but to
do this all by myself in my apartment carport is a little
intimidating.  I've virtually given up trying to take this car
into mechanics to get work done since they either don't
understand EV issues or they totally freeze up for liability
concerns (increased weight, hi-voltage etc.).  I even had one guy
jerk the EV back across his parking lot because he couldn't get
the interplay between the clutch and the controller down - I'm
just tired of the equipment abuse.

Whaddya all think (especially VW Rabbit gurus)?

Chuck

From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:39 am
To: MIKE WILLMON <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

> Do you guys know of a reliable web source about the energy it
> takes to
> make hydrogen?
>
> Mike
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Sure you're wrong.  Its not all off topic.  There are some facts and
> figures discussed here which relates using hydrogen to fuel "electric"
> cars.  Frankly, any technology that makes electricity to power an
> electric car is technically on topic.  You may not be into educating
> or persuading the public as to the benefits of "Electric Vehicles",
> but for those who are this is important information to get right so
> they don't come out sounding like that Barthmuss guy from GM.
> >
> > I do not disagree with you though about hydrogen vehicles being a
> lost cause.
> >
> > Mike,
> > Anchorage, Ak.

Hello Chuck,

When I jack up my EV, I go super safety, because my total weight is 6840 lbs
and the rear weight is 4630 lbs.

I first set the emergency brake and block the front wheels with a 4 by 4 cut at
a 45 degree angle that has a No. 5 grit floor sanding paper glue to them.

Next I raise the rear on one corner with a 5 ton floor jack.  You could get by
with a 2.5 ton jack.

I raise it enough so I can get my heavy duty floor jacks under the frame.   I
do all four corners of the EV, even if you are only working on one end.  I do
not like a steep angle of a vehicle on jacks.   Best to keep it all level.

I than install 12 ton hydralic jacks and continue to jack up the vehicle until
the floor jack is extended leaving three safety pin holes down into the floor
jack.  I never extended it all the way.

With the floor jacks in place and lock, I also leave the two 12 ton hydralic
jack in place.   I normally jack the EV about 18 to 20 inches off the pavement.
  I than get on the rear bumper and jump up and down like a mad man, testing
out the jacks.

I than can use the floor jack for removing my air suspension system,
differential, etc.

One time I jack the whole car up about 3-feet and block it with bridging, which
is crisscross timber of the 8 by 8 inch size.  The same method house movers
use.

  > Unless I can keep the shock from turning, this will just spin
  the
  > shock.  Don't have an impact gun anyways.  I couldn't turn the
  > nut down anymore when I tried a few days ago.  Toscalito Tire
  > says that means that it is bottomed out (?).  Toscalito says
  that
  > whenever the strut or spring is replaced that the bump stop
  > should be replaced (?).

Dumb question.

Which way does the air blow on his heatsink? And Is it significant?

I have been told that blowing air onto heatsink moves more heat but
allows for a more uneven cooling and consequently pulling air off a
heatsink makes a more stable but slightly hotter source.

Well they are very perky for being doomed  mike young
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jul 12, 2006 5:09 PM
Subject: [sfeva] Fwd: Electric Vehicle Engineers Needed Immediately

--- "Jason Metzler @ Adam Jacobs"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: "Jason Metzler @ Adam Jacobs"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Electric Vehicle Engineers Needed
> Immediately
> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:37:11 -0700
>
> Hello,
>
> I came across the Electric Auto Association website
> today and was hoping
> that you can lead me in a good direction.  I am a
> technical recruiter who is
> looking for extremely talented electrical engineers
> to work for a client of
> ours who is developing a cutting edge
> high-performance electric vehicle.
> Our client is located in the San Francisco Bay Area
> and they are looking to
> hire talented electrical engineers on a full-time
> permanent basis
> immediately.  They are looking for highly talented
> electrical engineers and
> test engineers who have experience in and a passion
> for electric vehicles.
>
> Do you happen to know of any professional groups or
> resources that I might
> use to find some talented engineers for our client?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
>

> Jason Metzler
> Technical Recruiter
>
> Adam Jacobs Associates
> 120 Howard St., Suite 420
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> O: (415) 315-0150 ext. 226
>    (800) 995-0150 ext. 226
> C: (415) 608-2158
> F: (415) 276-6061

Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam around  - and we
put it right into every message posted to a Yahoo Group!
http://mail.yahoo.com
                  __._,_.___
                          Messages in this topic         (1)
                                   Reply           (via web post)
     |                       Start a new topic
                Messages               |    Files               |
Photos               |    Links               |    Database
  |    Polls               |    Members               |    Calendar

                     You are receiving Individual Emails
  Change Delivery Settings
                Visit Your Group         |                Yahoo!
Groups Terms of Use       |                Unsubscribe

New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the
improved message search.

Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

Recent Activity

3
New Members
                                           Visit Your Group
.

Actually on CoolFuel Roadtrip the EV Chopper was getting 60 miles per charge
pretty regularly.  I believe he was running 120V system with Etek motor.