  1) EV Album Updates
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Looking
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Transmissionless daze
        by "Tom Gocze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: A Look at the Wayland Invitational II 7/29/06 [part two]
        by Matthew Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Transmissionless daze
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Burned Sparrow motor
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Cap Based Battery Balancer (Thanks Lee)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: AC vs DC AGAIN?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV comments and Comparisons
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Truck repairs and status
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Motorbike trying to get 100km
 12) Re: AC vs DC AGAIN?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Discharge load?
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) #17
        by Sharon G Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Ideas for building a custom electric "mutant vehicle"
        by Darren David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: A Look at the Wayland Invitational II 7/29/06 [part two]
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Siemens AC motor
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: #17
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Ideas for building a custom electric "mutant vehicle"
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Ideas for building a custom electric "mutant vehicle"
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Motorbike trying to get 100km
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Transmissionless daze
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Siemens AC motor
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Discharge load?
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Discharge load?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Transmissionless daze
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Diode for Curtis/Albright contactor
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Tesla motor and controller [OT]
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Discharge load?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Ideas for building a custom electric "mutant vehicle"
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Inverter question
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hi folks,

We have had some recent requests for statistics about Album entries, and in attempting to do them I have found we still have hundreds of entries with major gaps in the data. While we have had LOTs of updates, over 2300, we still have a lot really stale entries. If you haven't updated yours, please do so. If there is one you know is wrong, drop me a note off-list.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey
Webmaster
EV Photo Album
http://evalbum.com
I am looking for a 15 to 20 horse D C motor with Permanent Magnets  New and
or used..
Who sells them???

Thanks Zed

Can't help but wonder about running my S10 without the transmission.
If "normal" running, in town, up to 40mph is usually done in second gear, and
third gear
is for interstate driving, why can't we install the motor to the differential
with a chain or belt to the same ratio as second gear?
Then, would it be practical to use field weakening to make the jump to highway
speeds?
Wonder if I am missing something here, or someone would've already done this.
I am happy to try it with my 1231/9"ADC, but wonder if the resistor in parallel
with the field coil is going to do something nasty to the Curtis?

Tom in Maine
www.hotandcold.tv

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:19:29 -0700, you wrote:

>A good thing that happened was that a new NEDRA record was set. Using an
>unusual setup
>including 10 motors, those being 8 Eteks and 2 Advanced DCs.
>
>Here are the details-
>

>Class & Voltage Division - MC/F
>
>Vehicle, Driver, Owner - 1999 Geo Metro 120V,  Driver: Steve Nash, Owner:
>Dave Cloud
>
>Time (sec) - 14.55
>
>Speed (mph) - 97.33
  Inquiring minds want to know more.  And I thought Siamese motors
were rad.

R. Matt Milliron
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/702
My daughter named it, "Pikachu". It's yellow and black,
electric and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.
1981 Jet Electrica.

Tom Gocze wrote:
Can't help but wonder about running my S10 without the transmission.
If "normal" running, in town, up to 40mph is usually done in second gear, and
third gear
is for interstate driving, why can't we install the motor to the differential
with a chain or belt to the same ratio as second gear?
Then, would it be practical to use field weakening to make the jump to highway
speeds?
Wonder if I am missing something here, or someone would've already done this.
I am happy to try it with my 1231/9"ADC, but wonder if the resistor in parallel
with the field coil is going to do something nasty to the Curtis?

A shunt motor (or even a series) might not hold up. At 70mph my S10 truck is turning 8,000 RPM on my AC motor, and that's about it for speed. AC motors can rev higher than mot DC ones, so unless your motor can run at 8k, you need 3rd gear.

John,

Gods, what a heartbreaking mess! All that's left are the memories.

If it's any consolation, antique car afficionados sometimes start with
cars as bad as this, and lovingly restore them to better-than-showroom
condition. They replace almost everything, and the hours it takes are
incredible. You can tell how much a person loved that car by the time
they put into it.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
That's how the light gets in

Lewis, Brian K wrote:
> I am not quite that naïve but I did think they would be more
> efficient than a light bulb.  :)

That's certainly true! My little zener-lamp regulators aren't efficient;
but they are cheap.

> At any rate this has convinced me not to peruse this path. I will
> rebuild the Lee's with better heat dissipation and replace one of
> the 6.8 diodes with a 6.2 because I have AGM batteries.  This is
> something else that has come up since I built them initially.

The zener-lamp regulators are just one step up from nothing. If you have
nothing else on you AGMS, at *least* use these. The cost is tiny
compared to the added battery life.

A flying capacitor balancer is another step up; it does a little better
job, and is perhaps 50% efficient (instead of 0%). The downside of
course is the extra cost and complexity.

As mentioned, you can also improve the capacitor balancer to include
inductors and/or transformers; then they become a little DC/DC converter
per battery. This is another step up; higher efficiency, faster
balancing -- but more cost and complexity.

Or, you can use a "proper" DC/DC, and share it between batteries with
relays or other switches, like my Battery Balancer, the Zivan Smoother,
or Badicheq. Still higher efficiency and faster balancing, but more cost
and complexity.

The trick is to figure out how much you're willing to spend per battery.
What's the tradeoff between battery replacement cost and balancer cost?
--

Steve Lacy wrote:
> as a noob who's interested in building an AC-powered daily driver,
> the real issue isn't "AC vs. DC", its "drag vs. daily driver".
> There is so much "drag talk" on this list that I find it virtually
> impossible to find any useful info for building a "daily driver,"

Don't be discouraged, Steve. This list is a "cocktail party" with a
dozen different conversations going on at once. You don't have to listen
to every conversation -- just wander about, listening here and there
until you find the ones that cover your interests.

And if you don't find one, START one! Ask questions! You'll get answers
-- probably more than you bargained for. After a while, you will figure
out who to listen to, and who is just blowing smoke. Some people always
steer the conversation in "their" direction. Others are great on certain
subjects, but completely ignorant on others.

Certain topics (like AC vs. DC) are likely to incite "holy wars". They
are two solutions to the same problem. Both can be built so the average
driver can't tell the difference. Unless your requirements are extreme
(DC for extreme performance, AC for extreme sophistication), they both
work just fine.
--

Mike Ellis wrote:
> Who figures they have the best Range/$ ratio here?

My old ComutaVan was the most economical of my EVs. I bought it for
$1000, put another $1000 into batteries and other repairs, and drove it
about 20,000 miles in 7 years. Then I sold it for $1000 :-)

Thus, my cost of ownership was about 5 cents per mile (exclusive of
insurance and registration, which would be about the same for any
vehicle).

Fuel-wise, it got about 0.3 KWH/mile, as measured from the AC outlet. I
paid 6.5 cents/KWH for electricity, which is about 2 cents per mile.

Range-wise, it could go about 50 miles on a charge when new, and 20
miles/charge with its 7-year-old batteries. The pack consisted of twelve
6v golf cart batteries, which cost about $40 each when I bought them.
Thus about $500 for a 50-mile range.
has!" -- Margaret Mead

--- Begin Message --- Ok. I took the NiCD powered truck on a 20 mile torture drive this evening. Potholes, speed bumps at speed, that sort of thing. Even some highway driving at around 70mph. This thing moves.

Truck did not go into it's "snit" mode, so to speak. I was watching it with DOL7, and while the RPMs looked reasonable, I was not going 1,000 miles per hour. Gotta fix that. Speaking of which, is the speedometer driven by a cable or a signal pulse? It seems to be reading high by about 10 mph.

The fixes consisted of cleaning up the encoder area with air, and tying off the motor power cable to something so it's not flopping around. The motor power cable got somewhat warm, but not really hot to the touch. Then again I was pulling up to 240a from the pack for extended periods of time. Maybe the problem was the motor cable causing phase faults.

The BB600's seem to be working fine. They sit around at 345-350 volts on charge (252 cells) then pop up to 380 in the last ah or two from zero Ah (measured with an E-meter, no perk factor, 90% CEF statically set). When fresh they drop to 300 volts at 200a, and at 20ah down they seem to drop to about 275 volts (1.1 per cell avg) at around 140-150a draw. 20ah is nothing it seems.

The truck hauls a lot of power, even more than the Prizm. I think this is due to the aerodynamics, as the weight right now is about 1,000 pounds less due to the nicad weight instead of lead acid. Definitely very peppy, more so than the S10 I drove in CA with a fresh Hawker pack.

Charging takes forever though at a pokey 2 amp rate. I think I'm going to save up for a PFC-30 and boost the charge rate a tad. I can also use the second contactor to connect the pack to the new charger, which could allow me to run 50 more volts of batteries. A 350 volt base pack would be really nice to be honest, and I can limit the regen voltage to keep it below the 400 volt limit on the Dolphin with room to spare. Should also bring the range up to around 40 miles or so at 30ah down. Which is plenty for me.

You want to go a reasonable speed and 60 or so miles on a motorcycle.  It'll
take my Lectra(which I have for sale)  6 Ni MH from EV bones.  A full
fairing like the Vetter-Rifle streamliner(have one for sale also)  This
should do it.  That's what it'll take.  (Shameless plug mode off)  Lawrence
Rhodes.......

Win petrol with drive.com.au – 3 times each weekday! http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Eau%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclk%3B42319378%3B13690542%3Bk&_t=757220195&_m=EXT
At 06:43 PM 6/08/06 -0500, Tom wrote:
Can't help but wonder about running my S10 without the transmission.
If "normal" running, in town, up to 40mph is usually done in second gear, and third gear is for interstate driving, why can't we install the motor to the differential with a chain or belt to the same ratio as second gear? Then, would it be practical to use field weakening to make the jump to highway speeds?
Wonder if I am missing something here, or someone would've already done this.
I am happy to try it with my 1231/9"ADC, but wonder if the resistor in parallel with the field coil is going to do something nasty to the Curtis?

G'day Tom

Changing gear with belts or chains when transferring the amount of power needed for a road-going EV is pretty expensive, and possibly less efficient than a gearbox.

Some trucks have/had 2-speed differentials with various ratios, that may be an option, but I don't know much about them - the only ones I have personally experienced are in 6 ton+ size trucks.

Maybe better to series the fields for double torque at low RPMs, then parallel the fields [as they are now, IIRC] for higher RPM (I am going to be trying this when I get my truck on the road) and a diff ratio that doesn't overspeed the 9" (IIRC about 5kRPM) at highway speed.

As to the Curtis, again an IIRC statement, that the inductance of the 9" is too low for a Curtis to be happy to start with, and (I think) 90% of the inductance of a motor comes from the fields, so parallel connecting a resistor across the fields for weakening reduces the inductance to maybe 50-60% of what it starts as, making the even Curtis less happy.

Another thing to consider if going transmissionless, is how do you drive your speedometer and odometer? Many places require an odometer by law for registration. I keep looking at my two 72V GE motors and comparing them to the length of my spare (dead) Skyline transmission, it would be a similar size to put the two motors into the space of the transmission, and use the back end of the transmission as the tail shaft coupling and speedometer drive. But then I'd want to change the diff ratio to let the motors rev higher, which would put the speedo/odo out.

Hope this helps.

Regards

[Technik] James
What is the ebay auction number?  There are a lot of "siemens motors".  If
it has a spiral spline it has been on ebay many times and discussed here
many times:  you cannot get a controller nor a matching adapter for any
reasonable cost.  Most agree if they could purchase it for $200 it might be
worth the effort.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Mike Phillips wrote:
What can I use to discharge a 6.5 ah 273 volt module with? I need to
individually test these guys so I can try and recapture the glory of my
first nimh pack.

240 volt water heater element in a water tank would work well. Can be bought in various sizes, just make sure to use a real official make/break under load contactor to cycle it.

At 06:57 PM 6/08/06 -0700, Mike wrote:
What can I use to discharge a 6.5 ah 273 volt module with? I need to
individually test these guys so I can try and recapture the glory of my
first nimh pack.

G'day Mike, and all

240V heater, 2.4kW? two 110V ceramic heaters in series? Re-plumb the elements in a single 110V ceramic heater to put them in series?

Have to "hack" the heaters to power the fan/s from whatever they were designed to run from, and use a suitably rated contactor to switch the DC on and off.

Regards

[Technik] James
Tom Gocze wrote:
> Can't help but wonder about running my S10 without the transmission.
> If "normal" running, in town, up to 40mph is usually done in second
> gear, and third gear is for interstate driving, why can't we install
> the motor to the differential with a chain or belt to the same ratio
> as second gear?

Yes, you can do this. It will work fine if the motor and controller are
big enough to accellerate a heavy pickup fast enough to suit your needs.

> Then, would it be practical to use field weakening to make the jump
> to highway speeds?

Yes, you can use field weakening to get more torque (and higher current)
at high rpm.

> I am happy to try it with my 1231/9"ADC, but wonder if the resistor
> in parallel with the field coil is going to do something nasty to
> the Curtis?

Field weakening should ONLY be used when the controller is fully on.
Basically, this means that the motor is above some minimum rpm and the
throttle is floored. When these conditions are met, a contactor pulls in
to connect the field weakening resistor.
has!" -- Margaret Mead

Bob Bath wrote:
> I'm thinking it's like a 1N4004 or so. It needs a voltage rating
> higher than the pack? Paging Lee A. Hart on this one...

Just got home from a week's vacation. 1200+ emails to wade thru...

The diode is there to protect whatever is switching the contactor coil.
The contactor itself would be quite happy with no diode; in fact, it
would drop out faster and its contacts would last longer.

If you just put a diode across the coil, it needs to be rated for
whatever current the coil draws when on, and whatever voltage is
powering the coil. A 1N4001 is on the puny side; 50v, 1amp. A 1N5400 is
better; 50v, 3amps. These are right for a coil powered from a 12v
battery; for higher voltage coils, use a correspondingly higher voltage
diode (1N4001-1N4007 for 50-1000v at 1amp, 1N5400-1N5408 for 50-1000v
3amps, etc.)

Personally, I prefer an MOV, ZNR, or AC transient absorber, rated for
2-4 times the coil voltage. They are not polarity sensitive, are built
to withstand high peak loads, and let the coil voltage rise higher so
the contactor drops out quicker.
has!" -- Margaret Mead

> Arthur,
>
> $688/1000 from Digikey. 75a at 25c and 45a at 100c.

More like $6197 / 1000 and none available. Makes
ready made modules look better.

> I wonder which IGBT's Otmar or ACP use?
>
> Have you ever machined an IGBT module open to see how it's constructed?
>
> Mike
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Arthur W. Matteson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> The IRGP50B60PD1PbF from International Rectifier.
>>
>> - Arthur

We are gas heated here. But I'll keep my eye open for them.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
> > What can I use to discharge a 6.5 ah 273 volt module with? I need to
> > individually test these guys so I can try and recapture the glory
of my
> > first nimh pack.
>
> 240 volt water heater element in a water tank would work well. Can be
> bought in various sizes, just make sure to use a real official
> make/break under load contactor to cycle it.
>
> Chris

I would build a somewhat replica of Fords first car, which is basically
four bicycle wheels, chain drive, a bench seat, and a motor, and stick steering. The Towe Museum here in Sac has a replica of the real thing.
But I'm sure that's been done a hundred times.

I submit my idea of building an electric wheel-driven Personal Water Craft, or perhaps that might be an expensive body to use, so maybe an older 70's jet boat, I see many of them without motors going cheap.
Probably done a lot too.

OK, how about this for unique, take a car body, and make it so it drives on its side, i.e. your seat is sitting on the drivers door. You climb in and out from the passenger door on top.
That would get some attention.
And I suppose to avoid the ugly under side, take two cars, and sandwich them together. This would also give you a wider vehicle, and let the passenger be able to see out the other side.

Jack

Darren David wrote:

[...]

I'm looking into adding an inverter to my truck to
power some Ac accessories. I've seen posts about
people using their vehicles for back up power as well.
I've been looking at the various offerings and can't
seem to find one important number.. the input current
required. Is it a simple watts to amps conversion? a
2000 watt invert /12V equals 166A input? This seems a
bit high... I have a 45A @ Iota Dc supply, it puts out
14.2V @ 45A, that's a little over 600 watts. Is that
the biggest inverter I could safely power with this?

thanks for the input..

TiM