  1) Re: Making it more efficient
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Optima YTs wanted in Seattle
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Steorn Challenge
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Batteries on concrete, was: Re: Optima YTs wanted in Seattle
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: What does it take to convert a truck?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: MAEAA and WKTEA on KCMO public radio
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Alaska EVA (AkEVA)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Range Extending Generator Trailer
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Making it more efficient
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Lithium Safety
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: What does it take to convert a truck?
 12) Re: A bit cleaner air on the lake today
 13) Re: Steorn Challenge
 14) Re: WKTEC / electric high way , and Cottage Industries Inc.
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DOD v pack life
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Optima YTs wanted in Seattle
        by "Arthur W. Matteson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Grants,  Re: Plug in Hybrid retro fits for Prius, Escape wanted for NY
state fleet.
Way to go! Thanks for documenting what you did and how much it
helped.

Look to the racers for ideas!

Land speed smooth hubcaps:
<http://www.mooneyesusa.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=188_52_119>

Weigh your seats, sometimes stock seats can be surprisingly heavy,
and alot of weight saved by going to race seats.

Smaller outside rear view mirrors.

Narrower wheels (drag race skinnies). Less aero drag and even
lighter. You won't corner very well, though!

Synthetic tranny fluid.

Belly pan.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted

On 18 Aug 2006 at 23:01, Ryan Plut wrote:

> I've read somewhere that you are *never* to store batteries on a concrete
> surface because concrete attracts moisture and will harm the battery.

That's a myth - one which has been debunked before on this list, btw.  Check
the archives for more information.

I store batteries on my garage floor with no harm to them.  They suffer no
more depreciation there than they would sitting on a shelf.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ - the former contact address
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) will soon disappear.

The EV list exists to discuss EV topics.  It is not intended for discussions
of alternative energy except in its most narrow application to EVs.

Specifically, "free energy" and "over-unity" discussions are not acceptable
contributions to the EV list under any circumstances, by vote of the list
membership some years ago.

Please do not respond to this post, and please do not post further material
about these subjects.

Thanks for your cooperation.

At 11:01 PM 18/08/06 -0700, you wrote:
I've read somewhere that you are *never* to store batteries on a concrete surface because concrete attracts moisture and will harm the battery.
Ryan G. Plut

G'day Ryan, and all

That is something that is unable to be explained, and often declared to be a myth, yet I have witnessed but not been sure of all the factors. My first employer operated several radio repeaters on battery power, and he would never place the batteries on the concrete - always on a piece of wood or other thermal insulator, as he claimed that he had learned the hard way.

In my experience it seems to only affect wet cell batteries, and then only if they sit partially charged. A customer (a local council) has a telemetry system at a small reservoir that has its' battery sitting on the concrete reservoir edge. When they first installed it the battery sat straight on the concrete, and every winter (I think over three years) they'd loose at least one and usually two (good quality deep cycle) batteries. I suggested that this may be a contributing factor (I was friends with their maintenance man at the time). The only change they then made was to sit the battery on a piece of polystyrene insulation, and they now get around 3 to 5 years battery life. Of course, this could be that lots of condensation was forming on the top of the battery due to the heatsinking effect of being on concrete, in a high humidity environment alongside the water.

This effect has been tentatively blamed on thermal cycling of low state-of-charge batteries making the electrolyte stratify (seperate into layers of different strengths) and the plates that are exposed to very weak electrolyte "sulphate" with the hard version of sulphation, getting worse and worse each partial cycle. However, I've yet to see it explained better than that.

It may of course only be due to condensation forming on the top of the battery, activating a leakage path through dirt in top of the cells. A damp, dirty battery has a lot more leakage across the case between the terminals than a dry, clean battery, so keep the tops clean and don't keep them in particularly damp locations.

I guess this one should be investigated by "Mythbusters", except they'd probably get the methodology wrong.

Regards

[Technik] James
Jeff,
I had initially planned on putting my batteries below the bed in the Mitsu.  A
guy here in town who did this reported having
trouble keeping all his batteries the same temp.  He has some on each side of
the driveline, some behind the axle and some under
the hood.  So inth einterest of quickly getting on the road I put them in the
bed in an insulated box.  I still plan to get them
under the bed.  I've figured I can get tham all under the bed with none under
the hood.  A little bit of head scratching will
allow me to figure out how to vent the three separate boxes together to
equalize the temps.  Once done however I expect handling
to improve dramatically with the center of gravity approaching the level of the
frame, certainly below the top of the tires. A
dual implant and tranny drop would be easy as there is plenty of room under the
hood and the tunnelunder the cab.  I think NetGain
could easily adapt that shorty Turbo 400 tailshaft to a WarP9, and there's
plenty of room forward to dual up a set of 9's without
needing the custom siamese treatment.  Reversing relays would then be a must.

What kind of truck do you have?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

This was a most excellent interview!!!

I did the TV news clip.  I'm working with a writer from a local paper now.  I
actually got a shameless plug in on the Tradio
program where I was giving away the ICE from my conversion.  When I said I
converted to electric and was giving away the ICE it
launched into about a 3 minute interview from the program host.  Nothing like a
little spontaneous EV publicity.

Anyway, this KCMO interview was excellent.  Anybody got a copy of the file?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

I'm pleased to announce the critical mass of the Alaska Electric Vehicle
Association. We have enough paid-up members of EAA and
have over 50 interested parties on our e-mail distribution list.  I will
proceed now to set up our first meeting and search for a
"juice bar" of our own :-)

Just some side info, some of our members will come to us from the local Alaska
Chapter of the IEEE  (myself included).  IEEE
Alaska holds monthly membership lunchoens the 3 wednesday every month and
features guest speakers.   They've asked me to do a
presentation on EV's for the month of October and I've agreed as long as they
allow me to invite the 50+ members of the Alaska EVA
along for the ride. Most likely this will be the first time the group on the
AkEVA distribution list will get together and I will
use it to promote our first official meeting.

A side note to this, the IEEE International Conference of the Vehicular
Technology Society will be in Anchorage in the fall of
2009.  They had contacted me about the possibility of moving it up to 2007 as
their current plans for Baltimore are not working
out so well.  We had to decline the request since our IEEE section already
hosts at least 1 and sometimes 2 international
conferences a year.  This is a heads up though for anyone who would like to
attend a professional conference that is assured to
attract the top researchers, scientists and business professionals in the field
of vehicular technology. (The added bonus would be
the Alaskan vacation).  The members of the conference planning committee also
asked me to submit an article on my truck for their
magazine.  Since my truck is nothing particularly special compared to all of
your EV's, I'd like to request that if anyone already
has a comprehensive article about EV's and how we currently make use of
technology to build them ourselves I would gladly pass it
along to that IEEE Societies magazine.  The folks from the IEEE VTS seem only
mildly informed about the propulsion side of
"vehicular technology" and I think would welcom the diversity in their
publication.  If anyone is interested in being published in
a professional society magazine I would gladly help facilitate this.  Maybe
there are some back articles in the CE that would be
worthy of submission.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

I just stumbled on this.

http://www.darelldd.com/ev/rav_longranger.htm

While I had seen it before, I wasn't aware of how successful it was. The RAV-EV trailer combo actually got better fuel economy than the conventional ICE RAV. I also missed the white paper with the low emission info. I love the backup video.

A pretty awesome bit of engineering, a 20 KW generator trailer at just 350 pounds.

Food for thought anyone?

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
Hello Ricky,

Another thing to look at, is the overall gear ratio efficiency. I can do a
demo with my EV which weighs 6860 lbs!!!, by moving it while its in first
gear on some what level ground that may have a rough surface like gravel
with the friction of one finger moving over the surface of the accessory
belt drives that come off the pilot shaft of the motor.

On a smooth floor surface, I can move the EV around in my garage by using
this method.

I tested out what the torque would be to move the vehicle in each gear.   I
first set a ft lb torque wrench to about 10 ft lbs, and that was too much.
I then use a in.lbs torque and set that to 10 in lbs and that was still too
much.

I than kept decreasing by 1 in.lbs. and finally it read 8 in.lbs. to move a
6860 lbs vehicle in first gear ratio of 3.5:1 times 5.57:1 axle ratio which
results in a 19.495:1 ratio.

Second gear with over all ratio of 13.925:1 resulted in about 12 in.lbs.

The third gear is a 1.0:1 with a overall ratio of 5.57:1 resulted about 25
in.lbs. which is about the same as 2 ft.lbs.

I am running rock hard 2600 lbs load rating tires at 65 PSI with a 0 in. toe
in, that only allows a tire deflection of 3/8 inch in the rears and 1/4 inch
in the fronts. These tires are about 30 inches in diameter mounted on a 3500
lb rated wheel on a 22,000 lb rating axles and bearings.

The maximum tire deflection you want is not to go over the 5%.  This means
if the height of the side wall of the tire is 5 inches unload, then should
not go over 5 x .05 = 0.25 or 4.75 inches when the full vehicle load is on
them.

If you have to air them up too much over the maximum rating of the PSI on
the side of the tire, than it may be the wrong tire for this set up.

When shopping for tires, it is best to know what the weight on each wheel of
the EV is.  Then get a wheel rating that is at least 125% over that. Also
check out the load and PSI rating on the side of the tires which should be
at least 125% over your actual weight on that wheel.

If I told you what my battery ampere is while I drive 30 mph, you will not
believe me.  Some people on this list said there must be a mistake.  I have
three battery amp meters, and they all read the same.

My battery ampere is lower than some of the EVs that weigh half my EV
weight.  It ranges from 30 to 40 amps!!!!

Some 2nd gear ratios on some vehicles that weigh 3000 lbs or less are about
6.2:1 overall ratio which is a little more than my overall ratio in final
gear.

> [...]
>
>   I'm not 100% sure where I can go from here now. I'm thinking other
> aerodynamic modificaitons are about all I can do. I suppose making a belly
> pan is about all there if left. Anyone else have any other ideas?
>
>   Here are the wheels:
>
> http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted
>
>   Here's the manufacturers page for the wheels:
>   http://www.koseijp.co.jp/engfl/n_p5_k1.htm
>   Weight performance
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>   The only wheels ligher I've ever found are Volk TE37's at abotu
> $300-$400 a piece! And they aren't $300 a piece lighter either.
>
>   It's a totally different car with those wheels, highly recommended.

By the way, regarding the Dell laptop batteries: the failures are due to
wiring problems.  A short occurs inside the battery pack housing.  Yes, the
batteries burn, but the cause is faulty wiring.

Also, not all lithium batteries are a fire hazzard when shorted.
http://www.a123systems.com/html/tech/safety.html

More Also,  Gas cars can sit in the driveway undisturbed and catch fire.  I
have a friend who had that very experience.  It was due to falting wiring.
Also see above.

Ken

In a message dated 8/18/2006 10:25:58 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Yes, it could be. Gasoline doesn't catch fire while sitting in the driveway,
not being tampered with. <g> Some lithiums have done *exactly* that... no
damage, no external source... whoosh, overheating, taking out the pile.

BTW, this was a noted problem before the recall of these laptops... and had
nothing to do with them. It was an FAA report, as reported by PBS, wondering
about the safety of these batts on commercial airlines. I'm hoping someone
will report which batts (makes and so forth) that are causing these fires.
*Usually* in the EV world, it's been a fire when the rig was left on the
charger too long.