  1) RE: Low Voltage DC EVs (was: RE: Wilderness Electric Vehicle warning)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Tell me about sag
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Grants,  Re: Plug in Hybrid retro fits for Prius, Escape wanted for NY
state fleet.
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Lithium Safety
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Ego Scooters.  Battery replacement.
  6) Re: Low Voltage DC EVs
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Better plug in EV's,  Re: Grants,  Re: Plug in Hybrid retro fits for Prius.
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Opinions on Toyota Echo for conversion?
        by "Dmitri Hurik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: DOD v pack life
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Generator Trailer
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) miles/kwh, was Re: EV digest 5766
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Opinions on Toyota Echo for conversion?
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Live digital dash
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Efficiency    was Re: Low Voltage DC EVs
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Opinions on Toyota Echo for conversion?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Steorn Challenge
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Opinions on Toyota Echo for conversion?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: DOD v pack life
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Ego Scooters.  Battery replacement.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Tell me about sag
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Low Voltage DC EVs (was: RE: Wilderness Electric Vehicle warning)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) OT mishap (was RE: Steorn Challenge)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
48Kw is around 64 H.P.  While that is certainly enough to **keep** most
vehicles at highway speeds, it would certainly take a long
time to get there.  It scares me to have to merge with highway traffic in an
underpowered small car.  In my big truck with 30 ft
trailer it was not so intimidating, but an econo car loaded to the hilt with
batteries that could only put out 64 H.P. would force
me to take the back roads.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Ryan,
See this similar question by Steve Lacy Sent: 8/10/06
And follow up by Cor van de Water Sent: 8/10/06
Subject: Stats on Sagging (was RE: 93 Toyota p/u Acceleration)

From: "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Lithium Safety
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:22:46 -0700

Yes, it could be. Gasoline doesn't catch fire while sitting in the driveway,
not being tampered with. <g> Some lithiums have done *exactly* that... no
damage, no external source... whoosh, overheating, taking out the pile.

BTW, this was a noted problem before the recall of these laptops... and had
nothing to do with them. It was an FAA report, as reported by PBS, wondering
about the safety of these batts on commercial airlines. I'm hoping someone
will report which batts (makes and so forth) that are causing these fires.
*Usually* in the EV world, it's been a fire when the rig was left on the
charger too long.

From: "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Low Voltage DC EVs (was: RE: Wilderness Electric
Vehicle warning)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:08:45 -0700

>Rich offered:
>
>> The general idea is 48 volts and less than about 1000
>> amps is not enough power to keep up with traffic in
>> normal driving.
>
>Sure, if you are talking about pushing a Mack Truck.
>
>Your numbers would argue that it takes 800wh/mile at 60mph!
>I thought 300wh/mile isn't uncommon for most conversions
>doing freeway speed, e.g. 60mph.
>That equates to 18kw, or 375-amps at 48v.
>This is near doable with a properly cooled pair of 48v
>ETEKs, not that anyone but Cloud would want to do it...
>But there's no reason why a scaled up version of an ETEK
>couldn't be produced which delivered 18kw steady at 48v,
>allowing a single-motor, efficient, permag low voltage DC
>solution.
>
>I don't dispute that the series-wound DC-motor case is
>apples compared to the permanent magnet DC oranges.  And
>your experience is clearly mostly with series-wound.
>
>But I don't think you can seriously argue that to keep up
>with traffic the average conversion needs to be dishing out
>48kw.
>
>-Myles

       I agree. I kept up with traffic fairly well just on
36vdc in my 1,000 lb EV without a transmission.
       A bug converted weighs about twice that needs just
twice the power assuming you keep it under 50 mph because of
it's aerodynamics, easily had with 48vdc and a transmission.
The bug's only had 20 to 40kw ICE power which as been found,
you can accelerate 20%+ or so faster with the same kw power
of a series motor. Their shunt motor would probably need to
equal an ICE's kw power for the same acceleration.
       A Karmen Ghia would do it at even higher speeds
easily, as probably a Geo Metro too, with it's better aero.
       Mine and at least 1 Karmen Ghia and the Solectria
Sunrise, a much larger EV, use just 100wthrs/mile.
                               Jerry Dycus

          Hi All,

         I don't see a reason for having to recharge a
hybrid for long distance as at steady, high speeds, an ICE
isn't that ineff.  And so far the battery packs are hardly
big enough for long distance to make a difference. Around
town, yes but not on the freeway long distance.
         If you want a truly eff PinH, better is using an EV
with good range of 40-100 miles and a small generator of
5-7kw/1,000 lbs built in, would for most, be the best way to
go with the gen rarely needed because of the battery EV
range.
         My route is using an Eff, built as an EV with a
100wthr/mile or less energy use with 100 mile range, easily
done on lead batts, using a 7kw generator allows you to go
as far as you like at over 100mpg those few times you are
going over 400 miles at a time. Under that, mileage will
much better!!
        This could be done with many of the more aero kit
cars found many times for under $1k on ebay, ect, with dead
engines too.
        If you charge underway from a generator, there is
litle reason for fast charging needed.
        As such a generator doesn't weigh much, you can if
nessasary just cut a couple batts from the pack to make up
for it achieving unlimited range.
        Yes, David Roden, ;^D , will jump in here saying
small motors are ineff, polluting but those things can be
taken care of if one pays attention. Some ICE's running at a
fixed power can easily be tuned to make little pollution and
there are eff small motors out there like the Subaru/Robin.
For larger EV's, the Geo 3 cyl engine which only weighs 100
lbs, could be used to do the same for up to 5,000lb EV's.
        Where this really saves more is in not having to
have a second car.
        Another way with the Prius may be to use 2 or 3
stock battery packs with a microcomputer/stamp to switch
them in and out as needed to be charged, discharged by the
stock hybrid system.
       Connecting a full pack when under EV drive and
connecting a discharged one when ICE motoring to be
recharged and on the way home, let them all be discharged,
and recharged from the grid once home. I'd bet you could get
a grant from NY for that!
                              Jerry Dycus

Your opinion: is the Toyota Echo a good candidate for conversion?

> And how is that measured ?  Voltage ?
>
>  I have a 48 volt   220 ahr pack
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "David Roden" <ev@> wrote:
> >  I'd
> > recommend charging any time you've used 20% or more of your battery's
> > energy.

amp-hours used

> Several folks (including me) have tried a generator trailer. It
> works, but it is not the optimal solution. The extra wheels on the
> ground add a lot of drag and the size of the generator required makes
> the whole thing rather pricey.
>
> My favorite solution is a "Pusher" trailer. Cheap. Simple. Low
> pollution. Quite reliable. More efficient than a generator trailer.
> If you set it up right, you can lend it to a pal.
>
> Here a couple of examples:
>
> http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm
>
> http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm
>
> Bill Dube'

According to his website, JB's contact address is now through Tesla
Motors. I wonder how much he's using his ICE pusher with his latest
step up the EV food chain.

> Jeremy,
>
> This is a great analysis.Can you send around the list of vehicles that
> range from 7km/kwh and higher?
>
> It would be interesting to see if there are any common design features.

That's 230 watt-hours/mi - most properly-build EVs in the
sedan-or-smaller size should get that or better. Go to EVAlbum.com for
plenty of examples.

> Your opinion: is the Toyota Echo a good candidate for conversion?

A stretched version was basically the first generation Prius.

Thanks to everyone who helped me correctly wire my LCD digital dash. It works
great. To see the finished project go to http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/857
 Or in case the link doesn't go through look for "1977 Kawasaki" in the
Electric vehicle photo album.
             Thanks again
             Rick Miller
             1977 Kawasaki

Hello Jerry and All,

      Mine and at least 1 Karmen Ghia and the Solectria
Sunrise, a much larger EV, use just 100wthrs/mile.

   The Ghia is using a little more power nowadays, I think
because the 10 year old YTs have developed some
internal resistance. I notice that they warm up slightly
during both charging and discharging, and the E-meter
which reported CEFs of 98%+ for years, now reads more like 77%.

I recently measured the efficiency and it's getting 130 Wh/Mi, which I'm still pleased with. The other day
I was giving the pack some exercise, so I drove it further
than I normally do and was about to return home and
recharge when I got some kind of a wild hair or something,
and decided to "hit the road in search of adventure".
I drove right on past my place and headed for the freeway.
There was no stopping me, or talking sense into me as I
headed into uncharted territory, as I had no idea how
much capacity this old pack had left in it. After crossing town I turned on the freeway and took it up to the speed
limit which is 55 around here. The power needed to maintain
that speed was 45 Amps at around 192 Volts. I decided
to see if I could make it to the airport, I'd worry about
making it back later - like I said it was a wild hair, takin'
chances, livin' on the edge.

   Many years ago I used to trailer a gyrocopter up into
the valley where I now live and fly it out of the quiet little
airport. I crashed it there too, (but not before I made a "Wings of Steel" music video) but that's another story.
I had an EV grin that wouldn't quit as I sailed down the
road and found the turnoff to the airport that I hadn't been
to in many, many years. I checked a few voltages when I got there and knew I had nothing to worry about. I toured
the area and looked at a few planes, then headed back.
By the time I returned, I had gone 17 miles and the individual
batteries were still hanging around 12.5 Volts, so it still had plenty of range left.

   I told Wayland that I would run it well over 20 miles the
next day or so, and then post.....but it never happened.

So even though the pack's capacity is less than 1/2 of what it was when new, it still has more range than I need, so I get to
keep going and going.

Just my two Energizers worth,

Here's this page if you haven't already seen it:  http://electric-echo.com/

You're right, if it works then so much the better for all of us.  But I've
looked at too many of these well intentioned (or not) schemes under cover of
hokey advertising that its easy to tell when its bunk.  No researcher in this
field would ever dare say thay have technology that is over 100% efficient.  It
has been hard enough for the valid researchers to make people believe without
automatically discarding when they claim to have COP>1 machines.  And these
machines already exist in millions of homes.  The sketchy details on their site
say they have a way to make energy using magnetics.  If this is the case and
they have found a way to tap into the Heavyside nondiverged Poynting energy
flow then they have some really weak if any supporting evidence.  Advertising
for good scientific review in the Economist is like running a ploitical ad
campain in a professional peer reviewed journal.   I'd be the first to say I
was wrong if it turns out they have something, and I would wis!
 h them the best.  I just hope the results of the scientific review they are
seeking isn't published in The Weekly World News.
:-)

Because it is _similar_ to a Civic, I'd say, "sure".
But think of the following:
Have others converted this model?

If they have, they managed to get an adapter plate
fabricated.  Somebody somewhere can do it for you,
too.
Somebody has already laid out the batteries, and found
out that X can fit under the hood, and Y can fit in
the trunk, and it will still handle safely.

This is the reason that I so enjoyed converting my
Civic.  I had many "knowns" and relatively few
"unknowns".  If you're adventurous, and have done many
EVs, you probably don't give a rip.  But this was my
first conversion, and I didn't have an endless wallet
to try things one way, then find out it wouldn't work,
and rip it out and do it again.

Hope that helps!
peace,

--- Death to All Spammers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Your opinion: is the Toyota Echo a good candidate
> for conversion?
> >

> A stretched version was basically the first
> generation Prius.

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

On 19 Aug 2006 at 13:46, Michael Perry wrote:

> I do wonder if not taking the pack up to 100% charge would increase its
> life ...

This is one of those "delicate balance" deals.  While a fair bit of
depreciation certainly occurs during the last 20% of charge, an incomplete
charge also reduces life.  Getting the most cycles is a balancing act
between avoiding sulfation from undercharging and and avoiding grid
corrosion from overcharging.  Which is worse depends on your battery's
design - and also on whom you ask.  ;-)

Some of the problems are solved by advanced battery chemistry.  Nickel-based
chemistries, for example, have the advantage that the electrolyte doesn't
participate in the chemical reaction, and they don't suffer from sulfation.
Perhaps I should rather say though that, with other chemistries, the failure
and depreciation mechanisms of lead batteries are replaced by different
failure and depreciation mechanisms. ;-)

> A different chemistry, but I'm assuming that's how the hybrids are
> getting such long life. They might do a small cycle numerous times per trip.

Exactly.  Prius keeps the SOC between 40% and 80%, IIRC.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ - the former contact address
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) will soon disappear.

On 19 Aug 2006 at 16:46, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

> In the U1 35 ah size what would be a good brand in SLA to replace the
> Long brand batteries.

I used "Chairman" brand in my Electroped and they worked very well.
Chairman is a division of (or else manufactured by) Concorde Lifeline
batteries.  They are (or at least were) made in the USA, unlike many of the
cheap Chinese scooter batteries.

On 19 Aug 2006 at 14:15, Ryan Stotts wrote:

> What causes sag?  Is it just the nature of batteries and any
> and every battery will do this?

It's caused by the internal resistance of the battery.  Every battery has
some.  Different types and brands have different amounts.  A 12v flooded
marine battery has a lot; an Optima AGM has appreciably less.

On 19 Aug 2006 at 13:20, Mike Willmon wrote:

> an
> econo car loaded to the hilt with batteries that could only put out 64 H.P.
> would force me to take the back roads.

Back in the 1960s, typical HP for a small car was much less than that.  VWs
had 40hp engines. I owned an Opel Kadett with a 1 litre engine that had that
much output.  Of course it weighed only about 1600lb!  In those days speed
limits were 70mph in most areas.

On the EV side, my Honda conversion (2500lb) peaked at 40kw, and my
Solectria (2100lb) at 37kw.

When you have less power available, you use different driving strategies.
When necessary, you wait on the ramp for traffic to clear before you merge.
(Don't be in such a hurry. ;-) You use longer onramps, or ones that are less
busy, or ones that are on downslopes.

IMO, American drivers are a little bit spoiled by having such high powered
cars.  I would say "overpowered" but certainly many don't agree.  I
understand the concern many people have.  Certainly low powered cars, EV or
ICE, are not for everyone, but IMO slow cars are not dangerous if they're
properly driven.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ - the former contact address
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) will soon disappear.

My appologies to the list. I meant to reply only to the sender.  I promise I
won;t run for office :-)