  1) Re: EV digest 5777
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) re:  a great photo
        by Dylan Pfeifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Low Voltage DC EVs (was: RE: Wilderness Electric Vehicle warning)
        by "Ev Performance (Robert Chew)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Bigger ETECs  was Re: Low Voltage DC EVs
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: I need a dc-dc converter
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Well that didn't work
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) EBEAA Meeting/Rally - this Saturday August 26, 2006 10-4 @ Chabot College,
Haryward
        by "Ed Thorpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Well that didn't work
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Low Voltage DC EVs (was: RE: Wilderness Electric Vehicle warning)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Driving habbits
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: 72 Volt conversion idea
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Article in Electronic Design about Tesla
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Driving habbits
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) What I Learned This Weekend
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Driving habbits
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) eCobra won't be @ NEDRA  Late Night this weekend, but I will be...
        by "Michael T Kadie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Well that didn't work
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I get that! With my truck I expect a certain range and it's further
now. It's a sweet payback for the work.

1) LRR tires at 50 psi, rate at 44psi.
2) 1300 lbs lighter. (This was labor intensive.)

Experimenting with regen is next. Finding how much it helps under what
specific driving conditions. Then trying yet another chemistry. Also I
think having a belly pan made from Cloroplast from what I've seen is
useful.

So I hope to have a list like yours to help others see what is possible.

Mike

>   It's kind of wierd, since putting the wheels on I'm having to kind
of re-learn the car. The places I regularly drive too would usually
use a fairly predictable amount of power, it's less now.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted

> > > Here's the manufacturers page for the wheels:
> > > http://www.koseijp.co.jp/engfl/n_p5_k1.htm
> > > Weight performance
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > The only wheels ligher I've ever found are Volk TE37's at abotu
> > $300-$400 a piece! And they aren't $300 a piece lighter either.
> > >
> > > It's a totally different car with those wheels, highly recommended.
> > >

> > > Later,
> > > Ricky
> > > 02 Insight
> > > 92 Saturn SC2 EV 144 Volt
> > > Glendale, AZ USA
> > >

> ---------------------------------
30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Hey List:

Sort of a newbie post here.  I've never seen this photo before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ed_d22m.jpg

It's almost as if he's looking straight at you and saying... "see? ..."

:)

Dylan Pfeifer
Austin, TX

Yep well said Dave!

I have noticed with my EV @ 72 volts on weak batteries. i am actually
driving the speed limit and i have always someone close to my arse. If i do
that in my regular gasoline car when i had it before, i would have got
horned!

However, with the novelty of my EV some people actually take the time to
have a closer look before they speed off usually 20km/hr over the speed
limit. Sometimes i feel that people are always overtaking me and that my EV
is slow, but in fact, i am going the speed limit!

I reackon, if you want to go fast, do it, enjoy it like what david said, but
don't endanger everyone's life around you.

Cheers

On 21/08/06, David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 20 Aug 2006 at 15:19, Jeff Shanab wrote:

> While I agree a lot of it is cultural, educating everyone to my right to
> my slower viewpoint every time I pull away from a stoplight is hazardous
> in Fresno.

With all due respect, I hear this over and over.  Everybody seems to know
(or live in) some city where traffic is fiendishly fast.  In such a place
you may as well replace your controller with a contactor, or expect to be
"run over." All the other drivers floor their accelerators when the light
turns green, and woe to you if you hold them up!

To put it as gently as possible, I find this less than persuasive.  I have
yet to drive in an area where I felt that I had to drive "pedal to the
metal."  I drive the way I drive no matter where I am, and that means I
accelerate smoothly, drive the speed limit, and brake gently to a stop
when
I have to (I'd rather coast up to a light that turns green just as I get
there).

Yes, I'm sometimes tailgated, but the same drivers will tailgate people
who
drive fast, too.  And I don't feel very threatened by tailgaters
anyway.  If
they hit my car, they'll be the ones cited.

You may say that everyone around you is driving as fast as you are - but I
guarantee that you're still passing people.  If you slow down you'll find
that suddenly you're surrounded by a contingent of people doing the speed
limit.  Surprise!  Even in busy cities, I can almost always find a lane
with
a cadre of drivers doing the speed I want to drive.

To each his own.  I mean no criticism, but I like saving energy, whether
it's electricity or gasoline.  Beyond the principle of it, that keeps
money
in my pocket, not just from using less energy but also from being able to
use less expensive, simpler vehicles and drive systems.

But others have different priorities.  There's no shame in enjoying speed
if
you do it safely.  Just do it and have fun.  You don't need an excuse like
"I'll get run over if I don't."  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ - the former contact address
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) will soon disappear.

> > Rich offered:
> > But there's no reason why a scaled up version of an ETEK
> > couldn't be produced which delivered 18kw steady at 48v,
> > allowing a single-motor, efficient, permag low voltage
> > DC solution.

Scaled up ETEK seen here:
http://www.lynxmotiontechnology.com/e813.htm
32" and 650lbs
850vDC cont.
130kW cont.
peak torque 664 lbf-ft
(or better if you upgrade from their stock/lame inverter)
good efficiency at claimed >98%

yeah, yeah, not low volts, but in a pinch can do
weapons turrets also
:)
Lock
Toronto
Human/Electric Hybrid

ps... Motor has a baby bro also, 155vDC, 6k rpm, only 6.2kW
8.9"  18.5lbs same cute face but only 95% efficient

Jeff

The Swiftech pumps looks pretty good. Did you find the mcp650 for $39 or was it
the mcp350? I
haven't seen a price better than double that for the 650. Also, what brand
dc-dc are you looking
at, and what is your pack voltage?

Thanks

Dave Cover

"Resistance is Utile"

--- Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks victor, I saw the 600W unit and while it is a much better fit on
> the 14V end, it won't work with my pack voltage. :-(  I think I had
> mentioned that requierment much earlier in this thread.
>
> I DO understand the difference between "built for EV Automotive use" and
> "makeing something work"
>  I see the Value Brusa has in that area but just can't afford it or sell
> it. I want to develop a list of worthy products before I open an EV shop
> or store here in Fresno.
>
> I am going with about 750W unit ("1000W max continuous") for about $240.
> Though not waterproof or actually intended for road use, we will see how
> long it lasts.
>
> I like trying some of these lower cost options to see which ones
> actually have merit. I have been using a MCP350 water pump to cool the
> zilla. This is a continous duty magnetically driven water pump used for
> colling PC's. Though known as the swiftech mcp350, It originally was
> built by delphi(still has delphi logo and packaging when you get it) to
> cool electronics in cars. But it appears to be borderline, Without the
> dc-dc when  the 12V drops, it can't keep the zilla cool. Its bigger
> brother the 650 arrives monday.
>

> I tried an RV sink water pump, the smallest one,  but the continous duty
> for the EV resulted in a short , noisy life. These CPU water pumps are
> quiet and because they have no shaft seals, they use very little power
> for their output. I will let the list know how they perform. They
> currently run $39.

Ah, getting out a broken tap. Something I am unfortunantly experianced in.

4-40 is a toughy, just cause it is so small. Sometimes, since the 4-40
is so small and usually a 2 flute tap you can take a .156 pin and a
dremel with a cut off wheel and make a tap extractor. put a slot in the
top of the pin and flatten off the tap, slip it over and turn back and
forth. But the 4/40 is so small this is tough and a one sided tool may
be needed.

If it broke during removal of the tap go forward first, use some
lubricant, rock it back and forth and if you got it blast out the wedged
chips that caused the problem.

What I usually do with such a small thread (if a similar location is not
available) is to throw it up on the EDM with a copper tube and burn out
the center. This would be overkill for most of us, but I was working on
thousands or 10's of thousands of tooling.

Perhaps if we are talking a steel tap in aluminum, heating the alum
allows the hole to expand (alum expands more than steel) then a shot of
air blast cools the steel shrinking it and loosening it.

I have had the same issue with drills and taps from orchards and such
and now just go to the local industrial supplier for my taps and drills.

alternatives:
Did I understand correct, you have good working 6/32 holes? Buy a pair
of doorman studs that are 6/32 on one side and 4/40 on the other and use
a nut?
or
  drill those out to 1/4 20, screw in with lock-tite an aluminum all
thread, cut flush and file smooth and then drill and tap 4/40.

access to a press? drill ream and then press a plug of alum in, machine
flat and re--tap.

At leaset the part is small enough and usually accessable to take off
the motor and go visit some machine shops around your town, Before I
worked at a machine shop, I got more done on a friday night with a
sixpack of beer than any amount of money could of.

*********START OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT***********
Topic: "EVs are Alive" Display and Ride-along Rally
Date: Saturday, August 26, 2006 , 10 am to 4 pm.
Location: Chabot College, Hayward, CA
Visitors welcome, open to the public.

Our Fall Rally.has arrived, with the start of the
academic school year. The Chabot Automotive Technology
Department is once again hosting us for our display
and ride-along Rally, with the autoshop, college
students and families shopping at Southland Mall on
back-to-school weekend as our audience.

Come join us to display your NEVs, Production EVs,
conversion, electric bicycles and scooters and let the
public know that EVs are around, alive and providing
clean transportation in the Bay Area.

Charging is available at the College, with 110vac in
the autoshop for pre-Rally charging. Contact Ed for
arrangement.

Upcoming meeting topics:
* Sept 23, EVs for Dummies: The CityEL - presented by
Peter Senkowsky (and possibly others) and also some
perspective on other EVs developed and running in
Germany.

* Sept 30, SVEAA Rally in Palo Alto!

* Oct 28, EVs for Dunnies: The Toyota RAV4 EV -
presented by EBEAA member StEVe Greenberg (and others)
with focus on how this flagship EV has been enduring
the post-ZEV mandate years.

* Nov 18, EVs for Dummies: The Electrathon vehicle -
presented by EBEAA member Bob Cooley, with focus on
how students are getting exposed to EVs in the SF Bay
Area. Also we will be having our Chapter officers'
election.
http://www.ebeaa.org

**********END OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT************

HI-
I always buy "Hanson & Whitney spiral point " taps when they are available.
When it starts to get dull throw it away and buy a new one.
F.T.

I think we are on the same page, there are 3 speeds here we are talking
about and they do vary per town/state. slow,fast, and dangerously slow
(and I guess there is a dangerously fast too)

But There may be one more thing we EV'rs need to watch out for,
psychological  speed.  The EV only uses two gears to cover what  I used
to do with 4 gears and a lot more rev's, clutch and repeat action; with
associated engine noise and exhaust noise.  The EV can accelerated
quieter and smoother and may be accelerating faster than I think.
Sometimes I look in my rear-view mirror and wonder if the guy behind me
is haveing problems, other times I have trouble keeping up with the car
in front and not getting a push from the car behind.

I have noticed that man does this thing coast! It is a new learning
experiance to let off earlier and save the brakes and coast up to the
light. I do this when traffic is light and it saves a lot of energy,
cool. In the ICE, the compression braking (even on the automatic) forces
you to keep your foot on the gas until you get close, then brake later.

Hey all

  There's been a lot of discussion about driving speeds of late, so I thought
I'd chime in here.  First off I live in what I call the 45 MPH State where if
it isn't icy in the winter there are far to many motorhomes and camp trailers
being hauled, all going 45.  I'm a point "A" to point "B" driver and rarely if
EVer drive just to drive.  My car is just another tool I use to make life
easier and quicker.  Regardless of whether you admit it or not, time "is" money
so to speak and I wonder if any of you slow guys consider this into your
equations?

  As I read a lot of these type of posts I think to myself, Haven't these
people ever heard of grid-lock?
  Just the other day there was a guy in the front at a red light with 20 cars
behind him, he took off so slow that a guy had time to turn left in front of
him, thats just not right!  Yep you guessed it like 4 cars made the light!
That's out of about 20 to 30 that are waiting their turn.  Now I live in a town
of only about 20K people and the green light to car ratio is a joke!

  Oregon is also the state where drivers don't care what's behind them, and
after they've pulled out in front of you going below the speed limit, you are
now behind them, lmao!  As far as speeds and driving are concerned if I drive
fast I do not impede you, but a slow driver does effect everyone behind them
that wants to drive faster.  Before the hate mail comes first I have a perfect
driving record and second I'm not talking about doing 100MPH either!

  Having built 15,000 electric motors in 25 years I've done more than most to
reduce gas usage and emmissions maybe more than this whole group put together
so I've done my bit for King and Counrty!  So if you see the Hi-Torque truck
riding your arse all I ask is you get the heck out of my way!  My question to
you all is while you are saving those watts has anyone calculated the wasted
energy being used by the 20 or so people left standing at the light as you egg
peddle on through, not just in gas but in time?  There should be a happy medium
for when traffic is thick.
  Let the hate mail begin, hehe.
  Cya

starting at 1¢/min.

Hello to Jack and All,

This thread of whether to use a DC-DC or not has come up often over the years.

Jack Murray wrote:

I'm a little puzzled why the need for a dc-dc converter.

It's all about having a quality driving experience, not a miserable one. Having a good DC-DC keeps the headlights crisp and bright, wipers running swiftly, etc., just as they were when the vehicle was gas powered and had an alternator that kept things at 14+ volts fairly consistently. I say 'fairly' because with conventional gas cars, each time you come to a stop and the engine slows down to idle speeds, the system voltage sags to less than 14 volts, usually down to 13.5 or so...coming down from 14.3-14.5, that's a 1 volt drop that's noticeable as headlights dim down, wipers slow down, and air flow from the ventilation/heater/AC system slows. An EV without a DC-DC has dimming headlights, slow chattering windshield wipers, and in general, a miserable 12V system. Why suffer with this, when a DC-DC instantly changes it from miserable to outstanding? In an EV with a good DC-DC, unlike the gas car, when stopped, everything is still rock'n at 14+ volts, so in the area of the 12V system, suddenly the EV has the edge and is the one with the best, most stable 12V system.

why not use a pack battery to provide the accessory power?

1. Isolation. why is it important to isolate the acc power from the traction pack? Well, then perhaps just use an accessory battery, and recharge it when the pack recharges by adding it to the string during charging.

12 volt system isolation is important for shock hazard safety and for safety from accidental shorts to the car's metal body frame that could result in spectacular welding incidents! Lean over the fender of your car, or be wearing shorts and have your shin against the chrome bumper and touch the positive of a 12V accessory battery isolated from the pack and you get nothing (12V below the shock potential). Do the same with a grounded HV pack, and you might be on the way to a hospital or worse. Accidentally short the 12V battery to ground and you get high current that can do damage....but man oh man, if you short a good portion of a high current, high voltage EV pack, you'll likely blow a hole through a fender, or possibly start a full blown plasma affair!

You seem to answer your own question with the 'solution' of simply using an accessory battery, then recharging it at the same time you recharge the HV pack. Using an unassisted 12V battery (12.8V actual) means the light circuit's 15-17 amp draw will sag it down to around 12.5 immediately, then lower and lower as the miles go by. This means your nighttime driving experience is one with dull headlights from the outset (running at 12.5V instead of 14.5V), then duller and yellower as the miles go by. At the end of say, a half hour cruise, your 12V battery might be into the 11.5V range...a good 3 volts less than where it should be for bright headlights.

2. Voltage. a cars 12v accessories actually run on 14.7v from the alternator, rather than battery power. Is this really a big deal? If so, add another 2v cell for the acc power.

First, 14.7 is high and not the norm. It's closer to 14.2-14.4 for most vehicles. I like to run my 12V system at 14.5 volts. Yes, it 'is' a big deal, for the already stated reasons. Yes, you could add another 2 volt cell, but that's only practical if you don't use an off-the-shelf 12V battery and are already using individual 2V cells...most folks don't. The cost of a custom 14V accessory battery based on individual cells ganged together, might just cost more than a small 12V AGM style lead acid battery backed by a DC-DC. Your proposed 14V battery would still sag under varying loads. Turn on the headlights and they're already down to 13.6V, but then turn on the heater fan or AC and the headlights flicker and dim lower to 13.2V...drive a ways at night, and soon your headlights are yellowing to the tune of 12.5V, a good 2 volts less than they should be at.

3. Unequal Pack Draw. The battery used for acc runs down faster and gets unequal. Is this really a big deal, don't the batteries equalize upon charging anyway?

Yes, you would have unequal pack draw, and yes, you could rely on either over-charging and excessive gassing of the rest of the pack's batteries if using flooded cell batteries, or with sealed type batteries an over-worked and heated up battery management system's regulators. You'd still have the HV pack grounded to the chassis though, a very bad idea. Perhaps the worse reason though, is that each time your EV's traction motor and controller combo pulls hundreds of amps from the pack, your entire 12V system would pulse, dim, and flicker for more of the aforementioned miserable driving experience.

Driving an EV at night with an unassisted 12V battery sucks. Squinting behind yellowing headlights is not fun....in a rain storm the wipers that move s-l-o-w-l-y wipe and do a poor job are not cool....a defroster fan that doesn't keep the windshield free of fog is funky. Driving at night with a DC-DC keeping the system at 14+ volts however, is one of my favorite times to be in my EV. In Blue Meanie, the Euro style Cibie' 7 inch round bulb and reflector headlights fitted with hi pro H4 bulbs and backed by heavy gauge wire and relays, flood the road with crisp white light on low beam, and on hi beam, send pencil beams far down the road. The dash illuminates brightly, and the tunes are amped up accordingly. At stoplights, everything stays bright and alert.

Thanks to help from Chris Brune, I recently updated White Zombie with a 40 amp DC-DC converter. Yes, the first version failed, but the unit is back in operation again. We're hoping it was just a fluke with the first Vicor module that blew, as it failed under a moderate load and it had not yet even seen a high voltage charging potential, so it was well within its SOA. With a DC-DC that can handle this car's wildly swinging pack (low of 180V at 1000 amps draws, an average of 370-380V under cruise, to a high of 445V at the end of charge), we went from hoping we made it home from the track before we lost 12V power, to worry free nighttime driving. The Bosch headlight inserts are now making white light that really light up the road. Chris has changed the settings on this replacement unit to my preference of a 13.2V float output and a stout 14.55V key-switch-on mode. Thanks Chris, for the support and help.

See Ya.......John Wayland

Randy at www.canev.com has specially-made boxes for Geo Metros that put 7
Group-31 batteries under the rear seat and 5 under the hood.  Rear seat
remains usable.