  1) Re: Link to Battery Electrolyte Acid (Specific gravity 1.268)
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Major Players RaceTime, was Re: Test Lane is NOT Racing
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Apple recalls 1.8 million laptop batteries
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kokam=B4s_BMS__=28was:_The_next_evolution_of...?=
 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=29?=
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Heater Core Replacement
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Joe Vitek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: 18650 specs question...
        by "David Ankers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Freedom EV update
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: NEDRA News: Late Night Nationals
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: New EV board !!!!!
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Heater Core Replacement
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) So I'm buying/installing a DC-DC converter and I want to build a heater.
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by Patrick Maston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Optical encoders for "throttle" (was RE: A note on potentiometers)
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV digest 5792
        by Patrick Maston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: The next evolution of hobbyist EVs - there is money to be made
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Freedom EV Crash Test?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
  Hi EVerybody;

   Gotta respond on this one. Easier to just BLOW the tops off! Don't stand
close though!!When the tops are gone ya can dump out the acis and slide the
cells out. Often the plates are pretty threadbare, for lack of a better
term. The active material, a reddish sludge is in the "Bilge" or botton of
the battery case. Whole thing is a damn MESS! Gotta do it outside and FLUSH
acid and crud away, with a garden hose. You don't want to make a habit of
doing this, for sure!Nor would the Environmental Pollution folks would want
you, ether.
  I guess you COULD flush out cells, but what a pain in the ass!And as
somebody else said, what are you gunna DO with all the liquid crap you will
have left over?

    Seeya

  From: "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Freedom EV update
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:45:32 -0500

Hi Lee and All,
Thanks for the kind words. It hasn't been easy
but it's slowly coming together.

  From: "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:45:32 -0500

Paul G. wrote:

> So I went the "best" route (IMHO) and used an older Todd
> AC>DC converter (as a DC>DC) and completely tossed the 12v system
> battery. (Note: you can only do this if your DC>DC can handle your
> total 12v system load and if you can get away a complete
> shutdown if it fails.)

Note that there are a few other caveats to this approach:

- you can only do this if your DC/DC is beefy enough to handle the peak
loads your 12V system may place on it without shutting down/browning
out/failing

- if there is a failure of the DC/DC or a failure in the traciton system
(even something as simple as a fuse opening), you will be left without
12V power.  This could be quite important safety-wise if driving at
night (no driving/head/emergency flasher lights), and will almost
certainly leave you stranded since most of our vehicles rely on the 12V
system to power the contactor(s) that connect our traction pack to the
motor controller.  You would have to be equipped to tap your pack to
power the main contactor(s) just to move the vehicle in the event of a
DC/DC failure.

Paul's approach is the *lightest*, but I would strongly suggest the use
of some sort of 12V battery on the output of the DC/DC to hold up the
output for peak loads and to sustain the 12V rail for at least a short
time in the event of a DC/DC failure.

The Freedom EV is a three-wheeler. Therefore it is a motorcycle; not a car.
Motorcycles are exempt from FMVSS crash testing.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

GE I-5
Blossvale, NY

Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.9

    FMVSS I don't believe is required for Motorcycles. Since the FreedomEV by
definition is one with only 3 wheels wouldn't it be exempt anyways?
    I talked to my sheriff and he was interested in the whole thing but did say
by the book I may arguably need a helmet even with it enclosed and I would
definately need a motorcycle insignia on my liscense which I already have. He
did believe I would never get a ticket for the helmet unless I was instigating
with an officer and they needed an excuse.
    Can't wait to get mine myself.  I might be able to get the mayor to ride in
it on our very popular July 4th parade.

  From: "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:45:32 -0500

> [...]

>together. It should be an amazingly rigid structure when finished.

Especially for the weight, built aircraft style. But that's the only way to
get 60% battery weight for very long range at a modest cost.
It was a bear to mate them, lifting it up, cutting/sanding again and again
until they finally fit. Now I have some adjustments for the next one!!
Hopefully this weekend my help and I will epoxy them together.
So much work!!! I lost 10 lbs during the 10 days around Lee's visit!! Best
diet I've had in yrs. ;^D It took me several days to recover afterward but
did much better than I could last yr.
Boy I'll be glad when all I have to do is pick up the telephone, say build
another one. I'll have 3 or 4 subcontractors being paid piece work to build
them once the first 2 are done to figure out how to do it ;^D

Right, I was getting Freedom EV mixed up with Jerry's plans to rebuild the
Solectria Sunrise.

For Patrick's other question:  there is no FMVSS exemption for a limited run
of production cars.  If you want to build one car and sell it (as a
production car), you must have it crash tested.  As others point out, this
does not apply to 3 wheel vehicles in the US.

A couple of interesting points for Canadians though:
 - three wheel vehicles are included in a number of the Canadian Motor
Vehicle Regulations, a completely different ball game up here.
 - Canada requires physical crash testing
 - Canada does not allow the import of kit cars (although there are ways
around this)

Don

  From: "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu